Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Up until now, everythings been normal, but just recently I've found that if I take any kind of Aspirin / Paracetamol tablet with Caffeine in it, I get rediculously horny, to an awkward level. I'm assuming its the Caffeine rather than the other stuff, but does anyone know why this is the case all of a sudden? I get headaches pretty much every day, and while I dont take this stuff that often am concerned I probably shouldn't going forward. Is this normal / some kind of reaction? I consulted google but cant find any convincing consensus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Nah, I'm a dude. It's not really like its a problem, its just weird how mega intense it is, especially for something just over the counter, and how it only started being the case recently. Also, it happens within minutes, possibly seconds of taking it? I didn't think it was possible for something to be so fast acting, certainly the painkilling aspect doesn't kick in for a good while.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
There's like a forums meme of saying:

"You loving idiot. You moron." and like, maybe more vitriolic stuff, but always the idiot / moron combo, and it's usually when someone's made a really innocent mistake, and it makes me laugh every time. I was just wondering if it was from anything or codified in any way, or just another SA thing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh, yeah, maybe its Imbecile not idiot! That makes sense, yeah. Who's this Wint guy? I see quotes from him on a few forums?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When I'm on the menu for hero's of the storm looking at different champions / skins, a quiet high pitched noise comes out of the inside of my computer, that sounds kinda like a fan oscillating at a particular speed, just a constant light 'fizz'. When you click on a different skin, it briefly pauses while the skins load, and then returns at a slightly different pitch. It sounds for all the world like it's just the fans on my graphics card spinning at slightly different speeds, but the only time they're audible is on this one menu? My pc is beefy and hots isn't pushing it at all, anyone know what the deal is?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My shower has two taps, one for on / power, and the other for heat. With the heat tap turned all the way down, its kinda warm. It's like, the temperature I normally take a shower at. This is fine and all, because it just means I leave it turned right down, but if I'm doing something like using my shower to clean some boots and dont want to waste hot water, or like at the moment its really hot and I want a cold shower, I cant. I heard that there was some way you could change the heat of water coming out of a boiler to a shower, might it be that something on my boiler is set to 'hot'? I'm in England, and have an immersion heater, if that changes anything? Thanks!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3SuGeTefM&t=165s

This video is on how to change one, but just watch these 20seconds.

1-turn power off
2-double check power is really off
3-remove heater casing (might be a nut, might be 3-4 philips screws)
4-move plastic adjuster to '-' a little
5-replace everything
6-give it a couple of days to settle down, readjust if necessary.

e:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms8907-voltage-detector-pen/3222g
Buy one of these - absolutely necessary for any mains electricity work

Thanks, that's super useful! I have just had the termostats both replaced though (well, both immersions actually) and the heat coming out of the shower is still the same, would the plumber have just set it to what was already there? I did think though, the tap in the bathroom sink is a mixer, and is fine, it's only the shower?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tiggum posted:

It's almost certainly not there any more. Mice can get through amazingly tiny gaps that you didn't even know were there.

Put out traps. Avoid the fancy, complicated ones where the mouse has to crawl inside because, in my experience, they never work. I've had the best luck with the simple, old fashioned wood-and-metal kind and the kind where the mouse has to step onto a platform to get to the food and that's the trigger.

If you have an enclosed yard and no outdoor pets then you can put out poison, but if you don't, and there are mice living near your house somewhere, then you'll probably just have to have traps out forever because unless you make your house airtight they're going to keep coming in. If you can find a specific place where mice are getting in, eg. a hole in the back of a cupboard, then you can fill it and keep them from coming back that way, but they can always find another way in.

I'd also add, we had luck in the past using peppermint oil to ward off mice. We used so much that it pretty much warded us off, but supposedly they're really sensitive to it, and if that's the case any mouse within ten feet of that room would have had a brain aneurysm. I don't think it will get rid of them at all, but it stopped them coming in our bedroom at least.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do I recover from wrist pain due to computer work?

I don't think it's full blown carpal tunnel.

What steps can I do to prevent this in the future?

Ok so, first thing to note is that used correctly, over a long enough time, computer peripherals will give you carpal tunnel. All of them. It's super important to be aware and do what you can to mitigate it. Take regular rests, and do exercises. Google carpal tunnel exercises. You can't 'un-gently caress' your wrist once it's hosed, so really really don't get it hosed up in the first place, would be my shout.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
On Thursday, I bought something on Ebay, that said guaranteed delivery next day. I chose that one because of the next day delivery. I'd just moved house, and had forgotten to update my address, which I only realised an hour later. I messaged the sender, but it was too late. He'd already sent it. (Which made sense to me since how else could it get there the next day?).

So I phoned UPS and asked them to change the delivery address, which they said they could do, and was fine, and had all gone through.

It didn't arrive the next day. It did say it was subject to delays, fine. Monday rolls around, and a delivery attempt is made at the old address. I didn't get a chance to call them monday, so I called them Tuesday, and they said "Oh yeah, the depot didn't confirm it, I'll change it again now". Meanwhile the package is out for delivery and another attempt at the old house.

I trekked on back to the old place to pick up the 'Sorry we missed you' notes, to get the InfoNotice number so that I could redirect via the websit, or at least set a delivery window so I could be at the old place to collect it? It didn't work.

Now, wednesday, I can see that once again it's headed to the old place, but since I'm working, I can't just go and wait there all day.

Do I have any recourse? I really dont want to pay shipping again.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a slightly weird question. How do I eat?

I did intermittent fasting a while ago, where on fast days you eat 600 calories. I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience (After 6 months, my weight would fluctuate 2 stone in a week up or down seemingly at random, and I started feeling vomity in the morning every day) but it did show me that there are meals out there that keep you below, and the one that I found to be the best was low calorie soups, because you actually feel like you've eaten something, so maybe look into that?

The other thing I found was just that fruit is really good. For specifically low calorie, grapes are good, you can freeze them, and then suck on them as a snack, and they take a while to eat. But there's something about the fibre, and the fact that they have a lot of water in them, makes fruit especially good. Plus, y'know, it's fruit, it's lush.

I think honestly, the biggest hurdle, is just making it a habit. I mean, I'm fuckin' huge again and need to lose weight, but losing weight for my wedding I was doing 20 extra push ups and sit ups every day for months. I did hit the gym as well, but that sometimes didn't happen for whatever reason, work or whatever getting in the way. But the 20 situps and pressups, I'd FORCE MYSELF to do, every day, rain or shine, bloated or achey, no matter what. It didn't take that long for it to be a habit where I didn't even think about it, it met zero resistance in my mind, and most days I'd do a few extra.

I think whatever you decide to do, you know, you'll see on paper "This will make me lose weight" and then the hard part is just forcing yourself to commit to that fully. Good luck!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Whats the deal with Soap?

Like, chemically, what's going on there? How does it make things clean? It's not just physically abrading the 'dirt' away, it's doing some like, ionic bond thing, right? So, what is soap good for? It kills Coronavirus, does it kill virii in general? Bacteria?

And then, what's bleach? Why would you need both? Why do we use bleach in toilets and not soap? What is bleach doing chemically, compared to soap? What is disinfectant spray, and why is there that as well?

I've Googled this somewhat, but not found like a good ELI5 answer, or anything really explaining why we have different things.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When I switch my kvm, my razer kraken tournament headphones sort of disconnect. They still show up as an option, but no sound comes out. I have to pull out the usb and put it back in.

Can this be fixed?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've had a tension headache for 10 days now. Is there actually any point seeing a doctor, like can they do anything about it other than recommend drugs and better lifestyle?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If I'm travelling to Germany, from the UK, what do I need to do re: Covid, for going there and coming back?

The government website seems to just keep referring me on to other pages about general info, but I'm finding it hard to actually nail down what exactly I have to do?

/Edit: It seems like, just having the NHS App with my test details is fine for getting in, and also to going to restaurants?

Coming home actually seems like the hard one, where I have to book a test 48 hours before I travel, and then fill out a form saying I've booked a test?

Is that everything?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 8, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I hate cups as a measurement. It felt pretty emotive, so I've always been very live and let live about it, but the other day I poured some treacle from my measuring jug into the bowl. I knew how much I'd put in initially, in cups, but realised only after pouring a bit in, that it was the wrong amount initially.

So at this point, how do I adjust how much I add further? I knew how much extra I'd put in initially, and l knew what it should be, but my measuring jug was a loving mess, who knew what volume it now held?

If seems like a measuring method that only has downsides. Is there a reason is actually not horrible?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When I'm chopping carrots or cucumber, sometimes the little wheels go rolling off the chopping board. Is there a good way to do it so that that doesn't happen?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone know how to write a good best man speech? I'm struggling.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ninjahedgehog posted:

This -- even 3 minutes is probably too long, you are not the star of the show here

Actually on length, this is the American way but in England tradition is about double that. But yeah, thanks to all saying get in get out, get it done. Cheers.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've sort of accidentally gone onto a one meal a day diet, and I'm finding it motivating, enlivening and just generally working for me, which is super weird because 5/2 intermittent fasting fuckin sucked.

Generally, Internet wisdom seems to be that its a decent thing to do, and that it's good for you, but I'm concerned I've gone into this without any real thought or plan. Like, yeah, calories down, lose weight, but is there anything I should be considering but haven't?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
One of my feet flops at a more obtuse angle than the other, which is because of a slight (it's otherwise imperceptible) twist in my spine, that causes a muscle to trap a vein in my neck that gives me headaches most days.

I only mention it in case anyone else has anything similar and it might help to know.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

postmodifier posted:

Velvia became hot poo poo, but slides were mostly popularized by Kodachrome, especially in the heyday of people actually giving a gently caress about slideshows

Imagine going over to someone's house and they have a 45 minute PowerPoint presentation telling you about how they went to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend

That's what people did for fun back then, and then they ate bananas wrapped in ham covered with hollandaise sauce

In retrospect, most of the seventies was unacceptable.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

IMJack posted:

Has anyone heard of a parody version of the Candy Man song from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory? "The Hot Dog Man"?

I heard it sometimes on the silly morning show we'd listen to back in the early or mid 90s. I kind of assume it was borrowed from Dr. Demento or some other national show, but there's a chance it was original to this morning show in Salt Lake.

If there's a better thread for weird song questions, please point me to it.

The Hot Dog Man can/Cuz he mixes it with sludge/To make it taste real good

It isn't this, but Primus did an album of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and their version is real good.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kalel posted:

yes the British pronunciation of ma'am sounds like Mom to the English ear. and In Skyfall specifically I think they're playing with that ambiguity on purpose

...really?! Sorry, to drag this up I just think it's fascinating, and it's clearly one of those things where for me it's a total blind spot. By which I mean, it has always been utterly transparent to me when someone is saying ma'am or mum to my English ear, and the idea that they'd be playing up the ambiguity seems like you're looking for something that isn't there, but! You know, my experience isn't the de facto truth. I guess rather than dragging it up here where it's pretty much done and dusted, I should go find it elsewhere.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I want to get my wife a book on Architecture, like what all the different styles are, how to recognize them, examples, etc. She likes old buildings but doesn't really know what to say about them.

I have zero clue, and I don't really know what a 'good' book on the subject would really look like. Does anyone have any good ideas? Cheers!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been wondering about this for years:
The famously poorly-dubbed 70's Japanese TV adaptation of the 16th c. novel Journey Into the West, titled Monkey, aired in Australia during the 80's and 90's.
The show's opening monologue includes the line, "the nature of Monkey was irrepressible." (Monkey here being the legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong.)
My question is, does this line mean that Monkey's essential essence could not be repressed, OR THAT the essence of Monkey could be defined as a certain state or quality of irrepressibility? Is this ambiguity present in the original Japanese monologue too?
Thanks thread.

I would very much like to know the answer to this as well! (monkey magic - OOOoooh!)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I bumped my head on the ceiling three days ago, and I still have a really mild headache. I get headaches all the time, but this is clearly from that.

How bad is this? Everything online seems to basically say "yeah, you can get that after a concussion", so I guess I was concussed, but like, I can't really tell if that's actually always definitely super bad, or if it's just like, you know, 'take it a bit easy'?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CyprianLatewood posted:

If it gets worse or you develop other symptoms then you should go see a doctor, but regular post-concussion headaches can last like a month. You're probably fine, try not to hit your head on anything else in the mean time, repeated concussions are a lot worse than a single one, especially within a shorter period of time.

OK, amazing, thanks, this was my assumption, but couldn't find anything that wasn't super alarmist. I'll try my darndest not to headbutt the low ceiling again.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rabbit Hill posted:

Question for anyone in the UK:

I've recently started reading the UK edition of The Guardian's website, and both in articles and in the comments section, I keep seeing Rishi Sunak's first name written as Rish! in contexts where it doesn't seem to be a typo. Is that an inside joke limited to The Guardian's readership (like Guardian->Grauniad)?

Here's an example of it appearing in the text of an article (opinion piece): https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/02/boris-breaks-silence-to-deliver-lacklustre-critique-of-rishis-deal

In the third paragraph --

And in the comments of that article --

No idea, but Grauniad was originally a comment on how poo poo their editing was and prone to typos they were from Private Eye, that the Guardian kinda took on, convivially.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Whenever I turn my laptop on, it has the wrong date, and the Internet won't work until I manually set the date. I guess my question is a two parter, first of all, what the gently caress, and secondly, is there any way make it stop forgetting the date and time?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, you don't want it escaping. Sausages are wily things.

The sausage is a cunning bird
with feathers long and wavey

It swims about the frying pan
and makes it's nest in gravy

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My wife has a work laptop, that she uses when she's working from home, open, next to her monitor. She takes it into the office 2 or 3 times a week, so has to disconnect it often.

She also has a gaming laptop, that's also in use quite a lot. At the moment she has a KVM to switch between the two.

The issue is, that there's not really a lot of space on her desk, and the kvm wires are kind of all over the place. When she switches between the two laptops, she wants to use the screen, so currently she's putting one on top of the other, which isn't ideal. When she wants to unplug one, she has to be careful not to let the usb cables slide down the back of the desk, but sticking the usb cable in place isn't really very easy, because of the aforementioned shuffling that happens all the time, so there needs to be flex.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good solution for this? In my head I'm imagining like some kind of double lectern, or like a docking station or something, or, maybe a wireless KVM switch where you have dongles instead of wires? Does that exist?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tiggum posted:

When you say "the screen", do you mean a standalone monitor connected to the KVM or the laptop screen? If she's using the laptops' own screens then she's going to need to shuffle the laptops around every time she wants to switch them regardless of what else she does, because she'll want the screen she's using to be in front of her.

Can you put a clip on the side of the desk like this?

I'm not entirely sure what equipment you've got or how it's set up (or what kind of desk you're talking about), but if you had a stand-alone monitor you could put the laptops on the floor leaning against the desk, since you wouldn't need physical access to them as long as they were plugged into the KVM. The cables from the KVM to the mouse, keyboard and monitor would be left alone and could be as out of the way as it's possible for them to be, and the connection to the laptop would also be off to the side.

Yeah, sorry it's kind of hard to describe the setup, what I mean is, she has a monitor, that she always wants to use, then she also always wants to use the laptop screen of whichever laptop she's using, which means they need to open, so she can't really just have one under the other.

That thing with the clips is a great idea, and yeah I'll definitely do some of that. I can't quite use that setup since the desk has a back to it (so I couldn't clip on) but yeah, that's solid, thanks!

hooah posted:

This may or may not be viable for your wife's setup, but I stuck my KVM to the underside of my desk with adhesive, so it and all the cords are out of the way.

This is actually a really solid idea! I'll have a look into whether I can do this in a sensible way. KVMs always annoy me, because they're always like, a front and a back, and what I want is side to side. ANYWAY.

ideally there would be some double shelf thing, like, a plinth with a laptop on top, that has room for usb connectors in from the sides, and then below it like a little shelf for a closed laptop, also with room on the sides for cables?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

hooah posted:

You mean something like this?

...Yes!

For some reason all the ones I found were weird arms!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
My and my mate used to play in a band together (him guitar, me bass) and we'd go to like, local recording studios to record stuff.

We were thinking about playing together again. I've got a Korg Electribe drum machine, and wanted to mess about with some electronica stuff, which back in the day would have been garage band? I guess my question is, what would we need to get for me to be able to record us and mess about with it in some production / mastering tool on my laptop? Are there budget options for that sort of thing? I'm not 'money no object' but I just got a decent Christmas bonus that might cover some kit. It may well not.

Appreciate this is incredibly spurious, any and all tips welcome.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Earwicker posted:

what kind of laptop do you have?

in most cases, the simplest thing would be to get a basic audio interface, like a focusrite scarlett 2i2. you plug your instruments/mics into the interface, and then the interface connects to the computer via usb. then you can record in any number of software tools from free audio editors like Audacity to more complicated DAWs like Ableton, Logic, ProTools, Reaper, etc.. a basic interface that does what you need will probably run you about $100-150

i believe macbooks still come with Garageband but not sure, that should work too. Reaper is free for 60 days. Ableton has a similar trial period I believe. Watch some basic youtube tutorials to get a hang of how they work and see which style works best for you.

don't worry about mastering, that's the final stage of professionally recording an album and not at all something you need to worry about when you are just getting started recording. (and in most cases no matter how good you are at making music or even mixing etc you'll still want to pay someone else to do it for you, it's a mysterious art and by the time you get to that point you'll have heard your poo poo so many times you can no longer hear it properly anyway)

also if you have more detailed questions there's a subforum of NMD called Musicians Lounge with its own small/stupid questions thread and many megathreads full of info about specific instruments, electronic music production, etc. it's a slow and small but friendly community.

Oh sweet, this is awesome, thanks so much! I'll go check out the Musicians Lounge, seems like a much better place to start! Alright, wont worry about mastering, that's good, just wasn't really sure since it was all equally alien to me 25 odd years ago when we did this last, lol.

BonHair posted:

The floor for recording stuff is extremely low these days. You want a hardware interface and a decent computer, but the first isn't expensive, and you probably already have the computer. The thing that eats computer power is adding effects live, so if you just use the line out from your amps, you're not gonna need much.

Ok, yeah, cool. I've got a good gaming laptop that I figure should handle this sort of stuff pretty well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tiggum posted:

Check your lease. It should specify how much notice you need to give.

Never give more notice than required. You don't want to risk them turning around and going "since you're on a monthly lease, why don't you actually get the gently caress out 30 days from now?" That "good relationship" may be entirely conditional on you continuing to give them money on an indefinite basis.

Yep, came to post this. We had one of the most chill landlords ever at our last place. She was lovely. We needed to move out a bit early, so we agreed to pay until they found a replacement and the finding fees to make it less painful for her.

We moved out and her husband took over and he decided we had to pay all of our deposit as well, to fix the carpets and curtains that were described on the exit survey as "As on arrival". He also claimed we had to pay for the flea exterminators they brought in 3 weeks after we left (And after they'd had a viewing by someone with a dog). Needless to say we are in a dispute with the deposit company, but... man. Don't give any landlord an inch, for any reason, ever.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mobby_6kl posted:

Are those window vacuums things any good? I mean this type of poo poo:

I have relatively huge windows and am very lazy about washing them, so that happens very infrequently. If they're better in actual use than the sponge on a stick method though, I might give it a try.

I bought one, went to use it once and was just like... 'ahh, gently caress, that was a £15 lesson'. Utter utter poo poo. Absolutely impossible to imagine (the one I bought) possibly ever doing anything worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hi, I need to make a quick website that's just a looping mp3 sound and a looping mp4 video, with a link to an RSVP page for an invite.

Wix sort of seems to be roughly the ballpark, but also, seems a bit much? Like all the templates are super busy and it doesn't seem to let me add the audio?

Is there a really dumb template web template site that would let me knock this up quick?

/edit: Oh, yeah, the whole deal is it's more for mobile than PC? It's an e-invite for an event, with like a little movie poster / audio thing, that I want to link to an RSVP page.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 25, 2024