Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

My wife's iPhone says it can't back up to iCloud because there's not enough space. But of the 5 gigs of space she has, only 30.6 MB is in use. What's causing the problem?

Maybe the backup it wants to make is more than 5gb so it’s not even going to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

butt dickus posted:

do people who say this even have bidets? you still have to wipe unless you want to walk around with a wet rear end

If you have a bidet you don’t wipe, you pat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mescal posted:

Is low/standard definition TV for a cheaper price even an option in urban areas of the USA, or did my dad gently caress something up?

From a cable provider? He might be on an older plan during the HD switchover and never wanted to pay the up charge. Cable companies won’t automatically switch you over to whatever new plans they have.

When I had directTV a decade ago they were still charging a $10 HD fee.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Did everyone suddenly get much better about putting alt text in their pics/gifs on twitter or did Twitter invent an AI that will do it for you

They added a badge signifying the image has alt text globally a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/TwitterA11y/status/1512191972856975364

So it probably had the effect of making you more aware of images with alt text and also making more people aware that alt text is a thing leading to more usage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does YouTube record it if a viewer fast-forwards or skips through videos?

1000%

They know if the video is playing on another tab or if you scroll down to the comments. They know what thumbnails you hover over and for how long. All of that is useful data use to tune the algorithm, the site layout and the ad placement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is the Twitch algorithm just messing with me or is a large proportion of streamers just women singing and white dudes walking around Japan

Probably just Twitch, they've been moving to push more IRL and Music content for some time. There's too many gamers all streaming the same thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If it’s Wordpress there’s plugins that will convert the whole site into a static html site that you can save offline or move to a new host with super low specs and it will display fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Thanks! Could you elaborate more on the underlined part?

Basically once you convert your website to old Web 1.0 static pages you can put it up at a number of cheap or low costs web hosts that don't require a lot of resources. There's a few of them out there but I've done small sites on Github Pages and found it works quite well for small, simple sites and it's free.

https://pages.github.com

If you have a domain you can connect your domain to it as well.

I hear Netlify being brought up as well for free simple hosting but haven't used them

https://www.netlify.com

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 5, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

What are the advantages of using a post-paid cell plan these days? The big draw used to be the free/subsidized phone but it seems that isn't the case anymore

I've been on prepaid mvnos for over a decade at this point just because the service is like a third of the cost with no real drawbacks that I know of, but maybe I'm missing out on some feature I don't know about that makes post-paid a better deal

I mean if you have more than one line then post-paid starts to get more economical the more lines you have.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The battery life has been getting better, it's just increasing by an hour or so between generations so you don't notice it. iPhones for example have seen sizeable increases in their battery life since around the iPhone 6. The regular iPhone 11 has 40% more battery life than the 6. The regular iPhone 13 is over 19 hours now with the Pro Max getting 28 hours. More than a whole day of video streaming!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The iPhone 11 is forty‐nine percent larger, though.

The Mini and SE also have longer battery life than the iPhone 6

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I just signed up for Nextdoor and as best I can tell, it's where the very worst boomers go to moan about how their tax dollars are being spent (improving infrastructure? Protected bike lanes? NOT ON MY loving WATCH!), and advertise yard sales. Is that all it is? I'm not missing something?

It’s also a place for people to complain about fireworks on July 4th and New Years

Nextdoor is pretty great for lost pet posts though

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The answer is crazy frog

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Could you use the legal system to launder money? Like, if you had $100,000 in dirty cash, could you wash it by letting your buddy sue you and win? I assume the court doesn’t care how you pay your debts.

The whole point of laundering your money is to obscure the source of the funds and you want it to travel through the court system instead?

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 8, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Like, if my buddy buys a house with that money, couldn’t he just say that his source of funds was a lawsuit. They wouldn’t ask where I got the money, right? That doesn’t happen.

How do you get the money into your bank account to pay the judgement to your buddy though?

Are you going to engineer a series of never ending lawsuits where you and your buddy just sue each other back and forth?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

What is the best way to get rid of a gas dryer as soon as possible? I've put it up for free, and all the donation centers are booked out until mid August.

Call any local used appliance place. They will come pick it up from you for free to fix and resell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I want to buy some NFL tickets but haven't done this in a real long time. The seats I want are sold out but there's plenty I would want on seatgeek, stubhub etc...

Are any of these aftermarket sites better than another? Or other alternatives?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Do people still care about BMX?

BMX is a very cyclical sport with lots of boom and bust cycles. It got huge during the 80s then fell out of popularity and tons of companies went bankrupt. There was another boom during the X-games era when you had people like Dave Mirra who were as famous as most other sports celebrities. BMX is back in a lull period where there’s plenty of people riding and a very healthy ecosystem of rider-owned companies feeding the sport, but it hasn’t broken through and sustained back into mainstream popularity like previous cycles.

Scooters also got very popular which took a small chuck of that rider base away from BMX, mainly kids starting out in skateparks.

So tl;dr, it’s still popular with people who love the sport and quite healthy but it’s not something you hear of everyday.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 1, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You have to pay to see the source, but it seems like it's mostly been growing?

Number of participants in BMX bicycling in the United States from 2011 to 2021

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t say it’s dead and I definitely see more kids at the skatepark than I did 10 years ago when I stopped riding. But if your frame of reference is back in the early 2000s then it might seem like no one rides anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a tube of caulk you will need a caulk gun to apply it, unless it’s one of those tiny tubes.

Even on small jobs I’d recommend a caulking gun because the bead comes out much more even when applying it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Any idea what companies pay to install their 5G towers on your building? I'm sure it varies, just wondering what the range might be like.

There was a reddit thread from a few years ago where a guy said a cell company wanted to put a cell tower on his property in a semi-rural area and I think the payment was a lease for few thousand per month, somewhere like $3-4k. I would imagine anything in a suburb or dense urban area would be a multiple of that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

credburn posted:

Errr shoot, to clarify, I guess I get it's a meme. But I generally don't follow memes and my friends don't, but this particular image is just showing up nonstop, so I thought it had some significance.

Okay, a better way to word this question should have been: is this just a random image or is there some significance to this? Should I know who either of these people are?

There's text that usually accompanies this image, that is the funny part. You're supposed to read the accompanying text in the style of this very excited woman telling it into the ear of this young man.

If you're seeing the image without reading the text then I understand why you might get confused.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

credburn posted:

No, it's not that, it's just that this has come up suddenly and so frequently in some familiar circles where memes don't often appear. I that I thought it might be two people who are famous in some way or maybe a still from a movie that everyone has seen.

I think the memes super fast spread is because it’s very easy for others to riff on the original image, being it’s a text based joke. Other memes you need to edit images directly but with this one it’s just a wall of text with a base image so more people are participating in it and having fun. :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stravag posted:

Pineapple minus the pin

what the gently caress is an eapple?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ancillary Character posted:

The day after Labor day was always the case for me from elementary through high school. But school started in late August once I was in college and post-grad studies.

My kids started school Aug 8th. This is elementary school in CA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seconding Scanner Pro. Used it for several years, it will even send faxes!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a way to make twitter readable without an account? Like a firefox plug-in or something.

If it’s just a one-off tweet you wanna read without an account, when you get the login/signup pop-up, click login and then you’ll be able to X out of the login window and read the tweet :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I was thinking a bit about video games that feature real-world locations, like how the new Overwatch apparently has 22 maps inspired by real cities including Toronto. I don't play Overwatch but I can think of handfuls of games that either feature or very obviously imitate real-world locales.

Do the game designers send their graphics team on business trips to document these places and ensure that their recreations of them are faithful? I'd have to imagine they do. What a sweet gig, getting an expenses-paid trip to somewhere like Prague to work on Deus Ex, or really, any of the locations featured in Far Cry games.

For something like the size and scope of GTA they move a group of devs and artist over for a few weeks or months and just start capturing pictures and videos and actually living in city to get their feel and vibe down.

Buzzfeed had a good article explaining the process around the time of the GTAV launch
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/way-beyond-anything-weve-done-before-building-the-world-of-g

Interview with Dan Houser around that time also breaks it down
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/07/grand-theft-auto-dan-houser

quote:

"The single longest process is always creating the world," confirms Houser, revealing that the new Los Santos map is bigger than those of GTA IV, GTA: San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption combined. It's not surprising to learn that he sat geography at Oxford. "We spent a minimum of 100 days in Los Angeles on research trips, probably more," he says of production, which began at the height of the US's sub-prime financial crisis in 2010. "Out and about, all night long with weird people, strange cops showing us around, a lot of first-hand research. We spoke to FBI agents that have been undercover, experts in the Mafia, street gangsters who know the slang – we even went to see a proper prison. These poor buggers in the middle of the salt flat desert, miles away. It was eye-openingly depressing."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

It's there anything that actually does, in reality, have a "self destruct" feature? It's such a staple of fiction for a facility/spacecraft/ship/whatever to have a button that sets a timer until the thing violently explodes, and that seems like an odd feature to have.

...having just asked that, I know rockets usually do have a self destruct so that they can be blown up remotely if they go dangerously off course and are going to crash into people. But I don't know if that's something they put on rockets that are carrying people, and there's no end of "explicitly blow up your vehicle and yourself if you're still in it" buttons in fiction

Smaller example but the SawStop works by exploding a chunk of aluminum into the saw blade and destroying it before it can cut skin. The blade and mechanism are replaceable though so it’s not a full self destruct

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh, I just remembered a good example. There was a DVD disc format back in the early 2000s called Flexplay. The discs were shipped in vacuum sealed containers and contained a special die that, after exposure to oxygen, would start to turn black and become unreadable after 48 hours. They billed this as an alternative to the DVD rental market where you could buy them anywhere and didn’t have to return them. The format crashed and burned pretty quick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

Since retail is having such a hard time hiring, how does a seasonal place like Spirit Halloween manage to staff up all their stores for only a month?

With stuff like seasonal shops the hiring barrier is a lot lower since you’re not looking for a good long term employee, you just need warm bodies for two months.

On the flip side it’s also attractive to employees looking to earn some extra cash before the holidays. You get a lot of people doing second jobs or maybe people who are normally doing gig work on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You also have the ability to start a thread as well :)