Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

dos4gw posted:

Haha that's brilliant - I grew up reading PC Zone in the 90s but obviously don't remember every review. The review of Euro Truck Simulator with its joke about lorry drivers that is very similar to the joke Jeremy Clarkson made years later and people on the left who moan about his style of humour but worship Charlie Brooker got all worked up about it without realising the irony.

It's a common stereotype that lorry drivers murder prostitutes: Brooker didn't invent it, neither did Clarkson, it's just something that people usually make jokes about with their mates, or in Viz. Clarkson would have known that saying that poo poo pre-watershed would get a response, and that's exactly why he said it.

And I suppose you've analysed the political leanings of those who complained? Mary Whitehouse types? Lorry drivers? Parents? NO! DEFINITELY LOONEY LEFTIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

The pHo posted:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark based solely on the advertising, but I'm guessing that Cardinal Burns is the worst show ever made?

My brother says it's mainly bad but also directed me to this.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Where we own is film. If you haven't seen Shine (1996) then find it and watch it and you'll understand what I mean.

Dunno if one decent film from fifteen years ago can persuade me your film industry owns. And your TV is bad too? Good thing you're hot, Australia.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

The age of these films does not matter, because their subject matter is timeless and the presentation so earnest and devoid of modern trends and fashion.

I'm glad there is some cool stuff going on over there, but none of this is unique to Australian films. Mickolution mentioned Animal Kingdom which is really good but there are people making quality independent films in pretty much any country you care to name.

And no I don't watch Neighbours.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I watched Man vs. Food on Dave ja vu during the half time "analysis". The manliest of combinations.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Chumpion posted:

Cricket is like hockey in that I only discovered it was a sport that people enjoyed playing and watching when I went to university and met those from other walks of life.

What I'm trying to say is I've never met anyone whose a cricket fan and isnt an insufferable oval office.

Alright, alot of bad posts in this sport derail, but I take particular exception to one that implies only posh people play cricket. Honestly such loving minute levels of awareness are required to realise this is not the case.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Chumpion posted:

Alright I should reiterate, I'm sure my view is bigoted and incorrect. But the fact is that growing up in Newcastle and Hull I literally can't recall a single human being who was involved in these sports is the genuine truth. Maybe it's part of the north/south divide more than the socioeconomic one but I'm not pulling my experience out of my rear end, minute detail or not that literally has been for 22 years my experience.

It's not the North/South divide. I live in Leeds and there's a cricket club in the council estate next door to me. I grew up in Newcastle and drove past Benwell Hill Cricket Club every week. Are you telling me that Benwell Hill cricket club is full of Hooray Henries? Maybe it's because you don't like cricket that you've decided to subconsciously associate it with people you also don't like.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

The doc about TV Smith from The Adverts was pretty good too. I'm not a huge fan of the band but his career path was interesting enough, and it was nice to see him still playing shitholes and selling his own merch. Don't know if it's still on iPlayer.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Wezzo posted:

I wrte this about the history of The Simpsons in the UK, I thought some of the people in this thread might be interested.

Nice article, but what is Zombie Simpsons?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Some of my friends have seen him live and thought he was great. Seem to remember him being interviewed (on Comedy Vehicle?) and saying he hadn't done a solo stand-up show before because he was incredibly lazy or slow at writing. So that might not bode well for the TV show. I love all his bit parts though, especially Simon Quinlank.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Taff posted:

Its Imogen Heap from the Live Lounge I believe, theyve used it a couple of times in the tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzHv53UVXI

Even by Live Lounge standards that is loving horrible. Jo Whiley, so much to answer for...

THUMBS IF YOU HERE CAUSE OFF ITALY VS SPAIN 4-0

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The woman writing Dead Boss seem very scatter shot with their writing. There is like several thousand sub plots going on at once.

Just watched the first episode of Dead Boss and liked it. I do love everything I've seen by Sharon Horgan tho.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Chumpion posted:

The whole point of Bug in the first place as a live performance was to treat the music videos as a creative force worth watching on a big screen as a night out. I guess that's why I think it doesn't work so much as a half hour time slot, because it genuinely does feel like going to a cool little performance gig but only being able to watch 1/5 of it every night.

I love Buxton and there are always a few interesting music videos getting made but I still don't really see the point in BUG.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Handsome Dead posted:

Unless you're reading that to mean I know everyone, that's not what I said. :thumbsup: I'm sure there's fine people out there who like The Inbetweeners and Chelsea, and if I want to keep going, Nintendo and Coldplay; but for me, they aren't ever people I enjoy hanging out with.

Please keep your videogame preferences out of this otherwise highbrow thread, nerd.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Did anyone watch the recent Channel 4 documentary The Girl Who Became Three Boys? I'm watching it now and it's utterly mad, as the title suggests this girl basically created 3 male personalities and then tricked her friends into believing they were real. Somehow she was so good at it that she met up with her friends and entered relationships with them as different boys :confused: I don't get how the gently caress

Kids are pretty stupid these days tbf. No, I need to watch this, sounds really interesting.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I quite like Friday Night Dinner if only for the Dad. Drop the Dead Donkey has suffered the most from the passing of time imo. Used to love it as a kid but tried watching an episode recently and it's a bit poo poo unfortunately.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I've argued this before, but I don't think Nathan Barley was that funny, or even that great a skewering of overprivileged new-media types. I don't hate it but I'd probably rather watch Dalston Superstars if I wanted to watch that kind of thing.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

He knows what's going on, he's just shocked it's happening and doesn't know how to deal with it.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I found The Delicious Miss Dahl to be good. I think the recipes are comparable to Nigella's, and Sophie Dahl is lovely :3:

Even though I'm basically in love with Sophie Dahl this was far too twee for me. I don't like being taught cooking by people who aren't chefs either though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

marktheando posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfrosNvujGw

If you don't find this hilarious there is something wrong with you.

Hsha. Never seen that before. Cheers.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

NaDy posted:

I'm finding it so random that Andy Samberg is in a BBC three show.

Really liked this (Cuckoo). And thought Samberg was perfect casting: all he has to do is say something ridiculous, then do that poo poo-eating grin, and it's funny every time (at least for 1 episode, we'll see I suppose.)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

This was fine by me, because MDMA is loving great

I haven't done it in years but that programme really made me want to do it again.

Had no idea about the Justin Lee Collins poo poo. What a oval office.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Andrew Marr's cities series (forget what it was actually called) was loving poo poo so I'm finding it quite hard to muster enthusiasm for the new one. Probably will check it out eventually though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

He had a library with a secret staircase and basically left it to her didn't he, and she ended up getting into an argument with the London Philharmonic? because they hosed up on which bricks to buy and had to get them painted.

loving hell I remember this one too; I like GD as well, it's quite gripping. But it's just like every other makeover show in that if someone doesn't get the exact freestanding bath they wanted they will literally cry like a loving child. And I too will cry at the state of our once great nation.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

Anyway, I've been really enjoying Fresh Meat so far. While it isn't Peep Show quality, I do think there's a fair few bits that are brilliant. I love the running joke that Howard hasn't seen Lord of the Rings and is annoyed that everyone always assumes he likes it.

Yeah the writing is really good. All the characters are solid and even though they're a bit one-dimensional, I think it can be excused cos there's development (usually for the worse) going on. And also, first-year students are pretty one-dimensional irl.

Really liked the way they handled JP's homophobia and how they're making Josie into a horrible manipulative bitch especially. Eps 1 & 2 were stronger than 3 imho.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I know Joe Thomas' is in. Who else is?

Pretty sure That Dutch Girl from Fresh Meat is the Dutch Girl from that one episode of The Inbetweeners.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

justcola posted:

I applied to Come Dine With Me the other week and had a phone interview where I was asked how competitive I was, what I felt about vegetarians and if I had any strange hobbies.

Ugh, I hate it when they engineer a vegetarian/vegan vs anti-vegetarian/vegan argument. Nothing more tedious in this world.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

SoooOOOooo... New Peep Show begins tomorrow, are we going to discuss it in here or make a new thread?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I love the way Johnson goes back and forth between being a rational (if intense) person and a complete sociopath from series to series (episode to episode?) You never know which Johnson you're gonna get.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

It freaks me out a bit how much Dobby reminds me of one of my irl friends, character-wise. I think at the back of her mind Dobby knows she could do a lot better than Mark or Gerrard but she's just massively insecure, like pretty much everyone else in Peep Show.

I thought the last episode of Fresh Meat was good, although there weren't many big laughs compared to the rest of the series. Liked Shales getting his comeuppance though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Another good Peep Show, especially the return of the mad handyman and Super Hans' Freecycle dating scheme.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

The pHo posted:

Loved the Venetian Snares reference on Peep Show. Didn't love the 'sub Aphex Twin' comparison though :D

Just spotified that poo poo and "sub-Aphex Twin" is charitable. My favourite music reference this series was the one that implied a member of Mumford and Sons had sucked Hans or Jeremy off (did I imagine that?)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Can someone remind me of the offending joke? It wasn't a very memorable episode...I'm having trouble recalling what happened/any good one-liners.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

I wish bodily harm on everyone involved with Badults.

If anyone involved with the production of this ever gets even remotely successful, all entertainment beyond that point is moot.

I think they were one of those Edinburgh comedy troupes who kept getting rave reviews and everyone was like: "Why, oh why will the BBC not commission a programme from these talented young people?" Then they did and it was poo poo.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Two Episodes of Mash I think have the potential to be really funny - their comedy personas are really good. It's really hit and miss though, like they can't tell the difference between "lol, we're so lazy" and actually being really loving lazy in terms of writing decent sketches.

The Ginge, The Geordie and The Geek sound like they'd be intolerable. Think of a better name, fools.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Irisi posted:

And I love both GBBO and Grand Designs. I especially love it when Kevin decides he doesn't like a house and walks around it making bitchy faces and delivering little backhanded compliments.

I like this too but suspect he's just a bit of a cock in real life. I also like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lUjcH8XdAw

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

goatface posted:

He was the T4 guy wasn't he. Which meant he was down with the kids, and so his mere presence could be relied upon to pull in the valuable teenage demographic.

Except it didn't.

I remember seeing an interview when he was getting the big Saturday Night Gameshow slots where he was just going on and on about how he'd always idolised Bruce Forsyth and all his dreams were coming true at once etc. Was weird as gently caress. I think he maybe is just a very thick, happy dude, so good luck to him I suppose.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Reminder that before Tony Parsons got in a big huff and defected to the Sun, he wrote classic articles like this and this. A pity the Mirror seem to have deleted most of the comments from Viz readers taking the piss out of him though.

Um. Parsons is on TV sometimes so this is on topic?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

onoflalks posted:

I enjoyed Toast of London and Matt Berry can do no wrong

Yeah it was pretty good and also I'd never heard of Morgana Robinson before and it's nice to have a new obsessive crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Smiley Face posted:

That's true, both of those cakes belonged in the bin IMO

Mods! Wait...

Will have to check out that Ambassadors thing, sounds pretty good.