Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Freinds would be great if it was the Chandler 'n' Monica show.

Ross is a stupid overgrown manchild with the emotional maturity of Zack Snyder.

Racheal is a narcissistic naive twerp who insists that Ross "proves" his love to her in a variety of demeaning ways, yet never does anything to show her love for Ross. She spends half of the 10 seasons thoroughly treating him like poo poo. She just sits around whining about how her life isn't going anywheree, has no proper career, no education, can barely hold down a waitressing job and just expects a high ranking position to magically appear for her. Which it does. Because Friends sucks.

Joey is Homer Simpson with hair and a functioning pancreas.

Phoebe is the lol random purple monkey dishwasher character who exists just to make everybody else appear like vaguely functional human beings. She predates Chef Brian but almost a decade, but I still cant see any difference between them.

In short: gently caress Rachael. gently caress Ross. And gently caress friends.

Chandler is much worse than Ross in terms of being an immature manchild, if anyone is worthy of complaint it's him. I agree with the person earlier in the thread though, C4 should start showing Seinfeld as it truly is the pinnacle of PG US sitcoms, and set the foundations for most good comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

jfjnpxmy posted:

Friends is remarkably sharp and witty, but holy poo poo is it ever a mean-spirited motherfucker of a show. The Friends all seem to despise each other, yelling constant put downs and responding to any ignorance or flaw with either mockery or outright anger. Anyone who isn't successful, rich and handsome is lampooned, and any kind of non-median behaviour is to be scorned. About the only shows more openly nasty are Will & Grace and Two And A Half Men. And at least with Two And A Half the nastiness is the point.

Seinfeld did the whole nasty thing before any of those did.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

So how long before netflix UK is actually worth subscribing to? I have the free trial but to be honest the selection is absolutely abysmal compared to what people seem to have in the US, and I am not happy paying the same price for a tiny fraction of the service. My current plan is to cancel once the free trial runs down and re-sub in a few months/a year or so once the selection actually contains more than a few things I want to watch.

I'm planning to cancel too, as the quality is pretty lovely making movies quite unwatchable, and there isn't a huge selection of TV shows. Having said that, it does have the entirety of The Thick of It on there, which I marathoned in three days having never seen it before. I see why everyone raves about it.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
So I just watched the entire first series of Nighty Night in 24 hours, and really enjoyed it, especially Mark Gatiss' character. Can anyone recommend anything similar at all? I think I've missed out on a lot of good comedy over the last decade or so.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Maybe it's just compared to the Irish one :)

edit: actually, thinking about it, I'm basing that on one particular girl who was lovely. Can't remember her name, though.

I assume you're thinking of Rian from the first series.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

Is there a singular more depressing thing in this world than talking to your parents and them raving about this new comedy show they've found.

Mrs Browns Boys.

:|

When my parents told me they liked Come Fly With Me, and how they particularly enjoyed the lack of political correctness.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

netally posted:

Since we're on the food subject. Any recommendations for cooking shows which actually teach you recipes the average human can use? I like Nigella, because although a few of her ingredients are odd, most of the stuff she cooks is quite basic and looks impressive. I tried Jamie's 30 min meals, but I can't stand the twat and he moves at such a fast pace it's hard to follow what he's doing.

I found The Delicious Miss Dahl to be good. I think the recipes are comparable to Nigella's, and Sophie Dahl is lovely :3:

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Acrolos posted:

I've been trying to catch up on a number of British series' over the past few months, but I'm looking for some advice on what to search out next. Most of the recommendations that I've received are wacky sitcoms and Doctor Who, neither of which I've enjoyed too much. I have loved Misfits and Black Mirror, along with The Office, Spaced, etc.

Any suggestions on some news things to check out that fall in line with the dark humor of those shows? I'd also love to find some good horror/thriller series' if they exist.

For dark humour, there are a few shows to check out.
There's Nighty Night which is about a psychopathic woman who becomes obsessed with her neighbour, it's very funny and the main character is one of the least sympathetic I've ever seen on a comedy show.
Psychoville is a comedy/horror/thriller that manages to successfully blend humour and drama. Also the main cast includes a one armed clown, a pantomime dwarf, and a serial killer obsessed with manchild.
There's The League of Gentlemen which is a comedy sketch show by the same people as (but predating) Psychoville. It's quite creepy from the offset, but by the end of series 2 and the Christmas Special, it becomes very dark indeed. The third series is different from the previous ones, in that it loses the laugh track and sketch show format, and moves in a darker direction. Each episode tells the story of a few characters, and all the episodes are interlinked in a way that's pretty clever for what was initially a sketch show.
Not massively dark, but Catterick is a dramatic comedy series starring Vic and Bob. Very surreal and possibly not to everyone's tastes, but I love it.

Also, The Comic Strip Presents are bunch of (generally) stand alone comedy shows with a bunch of main cast members common across the shows. Most of them are funny, and there are some darkish ones like Gregory - Diary of a Nutcase.

FelixMeOneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 7, 2012

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Mark is just becoming a self-serving monster

I've rewatched the entire series recently, and was surprised by how awful Mark was even in the earlier episodes. I think he was always a self-serving monster, but one who rarely got things to go his way so he was somewhat sympathetic. Now he's got some of the things he couldn't get before such as Dobby, he's a successful monster, which totally removes any sympathy for him. Jeremy was always a selfish dick, but seems to have gotten less malicious and less immature as the series goes on.

Maybe it's good character development. The selfish manchild grows up to be a decent guy, while the selfish "mature" person stagnates as a human being and actually ends up less mature than Jeremy.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Also Jason Manford.

Let's throw in that Dave Spikey guy.

Also that bald dude on Mock the Week that I can't even remember his name he's so unnotable.

Jason Manford had that salt of the earth Northerner persona which is popular in the UK, like Peter Kay before him. I think he is the sort of guy that people would say "I would go for a pint with him" about, he appealed to the working class folk. Until the sex scandal came out and then he seemed to disappear.

Dave Spikey is pretty unfunny as a performer, but he was good in Phoenix Nights and he co-wrote it so he deserves kudos for that.

The bald guy is Andy Parsons, and I don't know anyone who likes him.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
poo poo ending to the shittiest series of Peep Show.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just watched Weekly Wipe. It was alright, but the movie review was awful. Brooker came across like a prick when he accused Osman of not caring about slavery.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Does anyone remember an insect based computer animated cartoon? Would have been when I was 7 or 8 I think so 1995ish maybe? Everyone in the cast spoke with a British accent and it had a very British sense of humour, it was called something like Insectosaurs or Insectoids and I think the theme tune was them repeating whatever the name of it was over and over again. Anyone know what the gently caress I'm thinking of? It's been driving me nuts the past few days trying to remember it.

Insektors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZxl8FWT9c

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I completely forgot that James Corden existed.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

He's basically taken too many blows to the head and WAY too much coke, and now lives his gimmick. He loving hates Hulk Hogan too.

He doesn't actually write his Twitter. His managers (who he refers to as 'intelligent Jews') update it based on the sort of things that Sheik would say. Having said that, it all sounds exactly like the stuff he says in shoot interviews, so well done to his agents for making it so authentic.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Corte posted:

I've already watched both of those, you guys are really bumming me out. I only have two stories left and then what, THEN WHAT?!?

The Wire?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

'Laugh track' implies recorded laughter added in the editing, not a real life studio audience. No idea if they use a laugh track in that Jacobi/McKellen abortion but if that's a real audience I would like to know what they gave them to laugh like that.

I think some recordings have lights telling people when to applause/laugh, so it seems people are manipulated into enjoying poo poo. I assume that's the reason there's such raucous laughter in The Big Bang Theory.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

It's always been silly. Remember Bombhead, who acted as though his dead mother's corpse was in fact still alive for weeks before the body was found by someone else. In this period his best friend was a hallucination of a man who was dead. Bombhead later joined a travelling circus that his estranged father was a part of. A particularly amusing storyline going on right now is the one where a previously charming and likable guy called Will has become a creepy controlling psychopath. I like this one especially because it's exactly the same as one they did about 5 years ago, where a seemingly nice guy called Will became a creepy and controlling psychopath. Say what you want about Hollyoaks but it doesn't lack consistency in it's pursuit of ridiculous plots and characters

There was also a storyline with a character claiming to be an alien, with the token physics nerd believing his story and helping him build a beacon. The alien was actually a guy abandoned at birth, and the nerd ended up working for NASA. And don't forget Newt, the goth who hallucinated an evil man who would make him do bad things, and who had an entire episode dedicated to him that was essentially a dream about the perfect girl. Warren Fox coming back from the dead was nice, especially when he tricked a man into thinking he'd murdered a prostitute. And nobody can forget Silas, the village serial killer who was portrayed as a moustache twirling vaudeville villain crossed with Hannibal Lecter. The best soap on British TV, if only for its sheer outrageousness.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Taff posted:

There was, I say this only as a reminder that I picked the winner based on the fact he was a former wrestler.

I didn't realise Ricky Martin actually won. That's amazing, as I was rooting for him for the exact same reason.

The girls' team name for the new series is apparently 'Endeavour'. Nice to see the candidates are keeping up consistency by having another wanky team name to join 'Renaissance' and 'Stealth'.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Royality posted:

To be fair it's a poisoned chalice, I challenge you to come up with a non-wanky Apprentice team name.

Apache.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

I never thought they could make something worse than Everybody Loves Raymond. I was wrong.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I just watched too much of the Yentob show about American television, which is sloppy beyond belief. Since they're determined to cover any show it's conceivable some wanker's bought the box-set of, they can only talk about each one for max 3 minutes (Alias got ten seconds). Obviously you can't say anything meaningful in that time so they pick a break-out character and have the writer and the actor talking about how groundbreaking and truthful they were. No thesis, no discussion, no nothing, just "hey Omar was cool, right? He had a shotgun..." This is all compounded by the moronic direction where, when talking about The Shield's invention of moral ambiguity, they demonstrated "pure evil" with getty images of: Hitler; a swastika; a hosed-up clown; a black hat. They kept on throwing Ben Day dots onto screenshots to... what? Emphasize the americana I guess, because nothing's more yank than Lichtenstein.
Why did Yentob lend his name to this? Is it some faustian pact where to broadcast an hour-long interview with a homeless poet he has to varnish this tosh?

Did it discuss how important Seinfeld was, and how it had influenced all the best sitcoms of the last 20 years?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I don't understand why people are so outraged at Skint. The guy with the beard seems like a decent guy who loves his family but who has fallen on hard times, the woman who spends her money on drugs and gambling has to sell her body to feed her habits which is loving awful, and the woman with the troublesome son just needs help to deal with him. People who are outraged by these tragic people are utter cunts.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Disappointed that Montenegro didn't make it through last night, as their song was my favourite. Thankfully the other nation I voted for made it through. Come on Moldova, and bring on the next semi-finals!

Also there are far too many ballads this year. Needs more silly acts.

FelixMeOneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 16, 2013

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

sex pervert posted:

And as usual, about 3 in 10 of the morally outraged mouthbreathers on Twitter focus their rage on the TV set. https://twitter.com/mrgunde/status/336632401625223169/photo/1

I wonder why people focus on the fact these people own TVs, instead of the fact that many of them are struggling to get enough food to live.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Which is an irrelevant fact as everyone should be tuned in to 6Music.

6music lacks Britain's flagship film show, so it's not nearly as good as 5 live.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

meme posted:

this is my problem, I've seen everything already! I'm more looking for older stuff, I'm a child of the 90's and I missed a lot

The Day Today, Brass Eye and Time Trumpet are all good satires, but you may already have seen them.

As for older stuff, I'd recommend The Young Ones, The Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer, Bang Bang It's Reeves & Mortimer, and also The Comic Strip Presents. The latter does have some episodes which are satirical, like The Strike. Also I'd recommend Catterick, Nighty Night and Saxondale because they all seem quite overlooked.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Don't worry, transfolk. The straight white cismen have arrived. Everything is under control. You may now relax, safe in the knowledge that the straight white cismen are on the case! Look, I can hear them coming now!

How do you know they are straight/white/cis?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Opposite of trans. A cisgendered male is a born male who identifies as male.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Ohhhhhh, just say normal.

That's transphobic, because it implies that trans* people aren't "normal" which is mean.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

hermand posted:

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone in the LGBT community, and others, but pretending that it's a "normal" / "default" setting is just silly. Accepting them with open arms, absolutely, but it's no use pretending that "CIS" people aren't a standard majority.

(On the other hand, I suppose in a sense it's no different to being called straight but I am rather bored of seeing cis used as some kind of reverse-derogatory term. I can see my own trans, post-op friend stays away from being a part of any kind of community)

The problem with referring to cissexuals as "normal" is that it means that transsexuals aren't normal. Normality is all relative anyway, but people do get offended if they are basically being called abnormal for not fitting into the privileged white male cis white straight male first world thin male white male category.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was taught using labels for anyone was a pretty silly thing and cheapens everyone involved.

Also, what the gently caress has this now to do with our lovely year of telly?

Because the lovely year of telly has produced some lovely patronising trans* comedies. I am looking forward to the unique new sitcom about the wacky family.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Milton's Radio Show programs on the other hand.

And I disagree. Mock the Week should be that, mocking. Frankie Boyle set the standard high and made himself a household name with his humor, which was needed to mock the politicans and celebs that are the main stories. Milton has his place, but not on MtW imo.

I think the problem with Mock The Week (and Frankie Boyle) is that it doesn't just mock politicians and celebs, but it tends to be quite mean spirited to more marginalised groups. It's particularly nasty to disabled folk and those who aren't heteronormative. The panels are almost always made up of straight white cis men, with the occasional cis woman or ethnic minority thrown in.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I don't want to defend MtW for what it is, I have gently caress all to do with it, but I binged though the whole series since the start during the last two weeks on night shift at work, so most of its entirety is still in my mind.

The show attacks everything, there are offensive Scottish jokes, Irish jokes, English jokes, Pope jokes, Priest jokes, Peado jokes, pretending to be paedo jokes, etc.
Where's the outrage for those?

To be honest I haven't seen tonight's show yet, so I don't know what the offending joke was or what context it was said in. But unless its on the lines of 'it's an abomination, shouldnt be allowed, we should stop this' type joke, suck it up and welcome to the normality of being a random topic for comedians.
Of course I'll stand corrected if its the former.

The joke was along the lines of "I had a one night stand once, I apologised for not being able to have an erection. She said "It's fine, I used to have that problem too." Someone being transgender was a punchline, as if it is something totally hilarious to not be cissexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I saw Rachael the Beyonce lookalike from Big Brother 2010 in Leeds station once, and saw the modern day caveman Nathan from the same series getting off a train near Bradford. I think Rodrigo the Brazilian lived in Leeds too, as lots of folk in the local gay scene said he was well known for being predatory in gay clubs.