Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Is probably less popular than the cheeky antipodean I have in mind.

Catherine West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of playing against type, has anyone watched Rowan Atkinson as Maigret on the ITV? I've only seen the trailers but I have read some of the Maigret stories and enjoyed them. Is this TV series any good? Atkinson's just one of those guys who it's really strange to see doing drama even though he's good at it. Like Sir David Jason in A Touch of Frost.

It's a really interesting approach they've taken; everything's underplayed and dignified and subtle, even right in the middle of Murder Most Foul. The script is sparse and functional, and the depth is all done in telling little moments, like the pathologist carving a body open, warning "those of a nervous disposition to look away", and then just for a second you see the shot of Maigret's eyes going towards the body, not away from it. It's very soothing, I'll watch as much of it as they put on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I had nothing better to do, so I watched the first episode of the much-hyped (sort of) Mash Report.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/15/mash-report-bbc2-satirical-news-show-nish-kumar
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/18/politics-daily-mash-report-satirical
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-20/the-mash-reports-nish-kumar-how-can-i-launch-a-satire-show-when-politics-is-already-beyond-parody

It's exactly what you'd expect: it starts, middles, and ends with a bit which is literally just reading Daily Mash articles out loud, and in between the host does the world's worst John Oliver impression while reading out a bunch of gags that the writers' room nicked off Twitter. They're supposed to have ten episodes. I'll be astounded if they get them. I'd rather watch Mrs Brown's Boys.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 25, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Satire is tricky and shows like this need time.

Go watch the first episode of The Day Today and get back to me

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

For years I was forever mixing her up with Linda Smith but then she died so it's stopped being a problem.

...which one??? :psyberger:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I think I've just figured out why Ayoade came up with the hand-on-a-stick gimmick

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's not quite how you remember, but there's still a couple of mildly funny bits in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvBQ5R4REAg

They really should get some kind of award for "Longest Running TV Show That Never Threatened To Be Anything More Or Less Than Modest Entertainment".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He was really, really good in One Man Two Guvnors.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I mean, it's man. With a TV show. Funniest show ever. A man. With a show. Talking about things. Very slowly. That's a man, talking about things, very slowly. And then. He lies on the floor. A man, lying on the floor. He's lying on the floor in a comedy club. And it's the funniest show on TV. Talking. Slowly. On the floor. Microphone. Funniest. Jealous. Poor jealous bastard. People don't like him. But there's another funny thing. And they like that instead. Bastards. How can they possibly? When there's a man. Lying on the floor.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

It does a good job of recreating Shakespearian theatre in the sense that you hear lots of laughter while nothing funny is happening.

Shakespeare is absolutely funny, as long as it's being performed and directed by people who are willing to admit that the author liked dick jokes, comedy pratfalls, and men dressing up as women. What irritates me about Upstart Crow is the idea that Shakespeare *wouldn't* have gleefully made The Comedy of Errors as a musical if musicals had been invented at the same time as mystery plays.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's the sort of thing that nobody in big cities is going to watch, in the same way that nobody outside Hoxton would have had any reason to watch Nathan Barley, I only started with it because Paul Chahidi's playing the vicar

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Crime Traveller or GTFO; it's all been uploaded to a popular video-sharing website.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

I thought he had died years ago, on stage, but apparently I'm thinking of someone else.

You're thinking of Tommy Cooper there, squire

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

After a few minutes passing I decided to go look at it properly, but it had disappeared. Just like that. I like to think they did it on purpose.

Like you did that on purpose, you mean? :golfclap:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the ones I remember was The Fruitties, which according to Wikipedia was a Spanish show, but was translated and broadcast here. I can't remember anything from it other than the theme song, which I linked, but on the basis of that, I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably relied on a few (ahem) stereotypes.

Memories of 3am on Cartoon Network in the 90s with this irredeemable shite coming on next to Tabaluga and Blinky loving Bill, ahhhh

(It's not nearly as bad as some of the images in that four-hour intro make it seem, it's just not any good.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 14, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, how about the one (which I remember being in the afternoon block - I think - on CITV) where each segment would start off with the front page of this DC Thompson-style comic, divided into panels playing clips of each character, and the camera zoomed in on whatever one the segment was going to feature?

Plenty of ZZZzzap available on a popular video-sharing website! Anyone who can't instantly start humming the Daisy Dares You theme when it comes on will be shot.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I will donate my firstborn to whoever uploads all the episodes of Delta Wave

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Here's a two-parter with extra Capaldi!

The honourable gentleman will note that I specified all the episodes

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nick Hancock's attempted comeback, which has a candidate for Worst Denial of the Decade in among the flannel:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/24745/they_think_this_comebacks_all_over...

quote:

The potential popularity of Nick Hancock or the format should not be judged by this decision.

Yeah, right.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: DANGER, WILL ROBINSON :siren:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mickolution posted:

I've only ever flicked by it and it's absolute dogshit, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than A Question Of Sport.

It made They Think It's All Over look like the Marx Brothers

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Some of the songs in Maid Marian were great. I wonder if it holds up at all. I got to meet Mark Billingham a few years ago when he visited the bookshop I worked at and he was very charming and chatty and pleasant and happy to talk about the dumb kids' comedy he was on years before.

If you've watched Horrible Histories at all, Maid Marian still has that same "it's a kid's show that parents can get enjoyment out of" feel to it. You'll be as happy as a policeman with two truncheons!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lots of shows age badly; but we're all Nathan Barley now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What they actually need to do is just revive The Mole and flush this slow-as-molasses inferior copy down the crapper where it belongs :colbert: