Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think I should re-read this whole thing from the beginning, a lot is coming together that I might have forgotten a lot of development for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Last panel on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=434

:discourse: foreshadowing

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

What's this about solving Annie? It's fine, there's just more of her now. That's fine.

This is correct.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Does the Arbiter's speech look like the stuff Diego used to code/activate his golembots?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Full of diabolical psychological torments that Kat interprets as an annoying guy in a cheap devil costume waving his arms around her and saying "I'm not touching youuuuu"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This comic is really dense in the best way. I just finished re-reading it and have already forgotten a bunch of stuff about that arrow. I also appreciate that the artist will include little background-panel callbacks to things being referenced many chapters later even if it's usually been so long I don't even remember the original context. Maybe I'm bad at reading.

Also the artistic style has come a long rear end way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Just gift it to, idk, boxbot. Problem solved.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

It's clearly personal property, not private property.

There's nothing preventing the ownership system described from applying to capital and it also seems to enable basically slavery, so

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

mood af

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Interesting to reconsider this given that Loup expressed no interest in Coyote's tooth: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=824

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Geez, sorry I'm not up on the thread meta, lol.

Guess it's just interesting to me how early on this was set up as a thing Coyote wanted to keep from Ysengrin.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, Coyote being perma-dead seems really unlikely to me for the same reason. Although he did seem genuinely surprised by what Ysengrin did after giving him his strength, so maybe this isn't all exactly "just as planned" either.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrashCat posted:

What doesn't quite make sense to me is nobody suspects that Short Hair doesn't belong. They just saw it as she went to the forest and came back.

Eh, I dunno why that doesn't make sense? They saw Annie go into the forest, come out later as they expected would eventually happen, and then lived and worked with her for like 6 months before some other Annie showed up. They had a lot of time to accept the first one as the real Annie and never had any reason not to think that until much later.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Getting some real uncanny valley feels off of this, sorry

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

With the level of control over cognition wisps have demonstrated, you'd think they could incept the idea that "oh yeah that's my green elf pal Leafy, we go way back," a notion that only lasts as long as no one tries to tease out any specific memories (or something).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

there was a rick and morty episode about this

The trick there was way more interesting, though.

All I'm saying is that if green girl is a wisp or whatever, this is sloppy as poo poo that no one remembers her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Loup saw something that he didn't like the looks of (but that Renard seems to not have noticed), and it made him want to quit fooling around and accelerate his schedule. It's not clear what that was exactly, but this feels like foreshadowing, not like something is missing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's "luau" actually

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Here's the page with Coyote's totem, Ysengrin's is a few after it: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2012

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, this has definitely been foreshadowed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Claymation

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Donkringel posted:

Holy crap the second link! Last three panels is Kat deciding to become a Techno-god.

Yeah that jumped out at me too, like "Oh, that was the moment when..."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Kat should hurry up and initiate the Human Instrumentality Project, imo

Glad I wasn't the only one getting big "Gendo receiving the Adam embryo" vibes from this scene.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

by the way, jones is absolutely annie's secret crush, zimmy sees jones in annie's head when shes trying to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with her (the answer was tony)

I checked this chapter out again and this page is pretty interesting: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1036

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 23, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is also a dream where all kinds of vulnerable subconscious things pop up (see next two pages where friendship with Kat is juxtaposed with cheating off her homework). We might not even be talking about a consciously acknowledged attraction but her mind is going from "elf stud I might have dated last summer" to "nude hot immortal rock lady" so imo there's at least some attraction there even if it's not full on "Antimony <3 Jones"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Twenty Four posted:

The "I made them, they are all the same robot" really makes me feel like if Kat made them, but it's just the one same robot, it has to be multiple Kat's in multiple universes or timelines that each made one robot

It might be but doesn't have to be. You can duplicate objects with time travel.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Podima posted:

LMAO at using football-headed Annie for that sequence.

Going back and re-reading the earlier parts of the comic is really disorienting sometimes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wait a sec. I just realized something.

Time causality loop... which Kat is coming to understand thanks to Loup... :aaa:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I regret to inform that I was not being entirely serious at the significance of what I was pointing out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

Supervillain origin story Kat about to bust through the wall of reality any day now looking for her Annie is the real problem you gotta worry about, Kat

This is still the correct take btw.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Annie isn't very good at this.

Each one of them using first person singular pronouns when they're two of the same person is probably not doing much to help Kat's sense of existential angst.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

"Found one" aha yeah about that...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Stand Still Stay Silent is worth checking out imo, don't get too attached to the first batch of characters though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hempuli posted:

Anja's general positivity is very nice. :)

So proud her baby did such great things with ugly bird robots! :) :) :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anyone else catch that first panel casual shade on Anthony? loving :iceburn:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yet another person who dgaf about time shifting, it's a big whatever that there's two of them for her.

But, "That guy I liked had kids with Surma????" otoh...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

Soooo. Did he get remarried?

I am 100% here for this plot thread to develop.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Dammit, does Anja know some way that Kat is inherently notable that she's never told Kat?

Likely just that the norns would want to talk to someone who is apparently at some point in the future going to gently caress with the timeline.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

A bit late but there goes that Theory that the Tictoc Birds were invented by American Trickster Spirit Crow.

Not clear yet that Kat won't eventually go back in metatime and become Crow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coyote just looks like an actual coyote to her so this scene is probably pretty confusing.