Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Primoman posted:

Now that it's official, is there any advantage to playing Oath on PC versus PSP? Does the portability of the Vita edge out, or is the game better suited on a big screen with controller support (I'm assuming)? Does the PC version have better graphics/audio or additional content over the PSP version, or vice-versa?

Same question for TitS, in case they decide to port that as well. Also, there's supposed to be an iOS version that adds even more content?

Unless they update Oath on the PC, it won't let you start over from the beginning of the room when you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Just posted this in the retro gaming thread but figured the goons in the RPG thread could also offer something:
I just got a PS3 again after about a year without one and I see both Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX are available as PSOne downloads. Can anyone comment on which of these I should get into first, does it even matter, and how do these two play on the PS3 on an HDTV?

FF9 is pretty cool. So's 6, but it's a pretty godawful port due to noticeable loading times for every screen transition (battles, menus, ect). I'd honestly avoid the PS1 version of FF6 like the plague.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty much all of them are worth trying, except maybe 3 DS. It's kinda hard to say whether or not you're gonna like one since the storytelling, setting and gameplay change quite a bit between games (gameplay less so but still). Use the GBA version of FF2 and FF5 and GBA/PSP FF4 since the alternatives are pretty bad. I liked the GBA translation of FF6 more than the SNES, but that's just me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
FF6 was pretty awful, yeah. FF5 is playable even though it's slower than it should be, but the translation is pretty hillariously awful, which sucks when you look at the great GBA translation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Those are the only two areas with that problem. It's a shame that you sold it after the first two hours because the gameplay gets a lot better after that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't grind nor did I use a guide. Seriously, status effects are really really powerful in FF4DS. If anyone is having trouble just use them.

What about when they don't work because the White Magic status ailments use Intellect for accuracy?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That never ended up being a particular issue, so I'm not sure of your question. The primary difficulty with landing status effects is finding out which enemies are vulnerable to them, but even then you just have to find the enemies who are difficult enough that you can't just walk over them anyway so it isn't particularly tough.

I remember never getting above 60% hit rate for the white magic status ailments. I actually used status ailments pretty often in the original, which made the DS version pretty funny when it was harder to use them and you needed them a lot more than before.

Nate RFB posted:

The most important status spells used against enemies were Slow and Berserk, which always hit IIRC. I think it's things like Hold, Stop, and Silence which may or may not hit all the time, though there are certainly enemies you want to use them because they are more susceptible to it for whatever reason.

Everything else would be buffs cast against your own party like Shell, Haste, and Blink, which for obvious reasons will always hit.

Accuracy shouldn't really be that much of an issue.

I don't remember that many normal enemies where Slow was helpful. It's a godsend for bosses, but normal enemies are too numerous and defensively weak for Slow to really help. I didn't actually start the final dungeon when I quit, and there were a lot of nasty single normal enemies there though even in the original, so it and Berserk could be good there I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

edit: lovely double post within a post, but if I've never played any of the Tales Of games or SaGa games, do I owe it to myself as a lover of RPGs to play any of them? I played Tales of Phantasia for a bit, but since it infrequently enters the conversations about that series I wasn't sure if it counts.

Can't say much about most of them, but Tales of Graces had a great battle system. Probably the best of the localized games, honestly. Its story sucks, but that's honestly kinda of par for the course for like, 90% of JRPGs that aren't Dragon Quest or Mario.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm now a couple hours into FF9. I have just beaten some big plant thing and saved the girl, and now am wandering around on the overworld map for the first time. Anyone got some pointers or whatever else for someone in the early stages of FF9 and super keen to really enjoy this game?

People say to steal from every boss, but up until Disk 3 all the stuff you can steal shows up in shops later, which is also the point where you can make stealing much faster with an ability. So definitely try to steal from as many bosses as you can, but feel free to just kill whatever you're fighting if it's taking twenty minutes or whatever.

Also, don't sell anything. And Chocobo Hot and Cold is the best minigame ever, so look forward to that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Similarly for Dragon Quest V - is the best version to play still the English translation on the DS, or would I have a better time with the SNES translation by Dejap Translations?

I've only played the DS version, but my understanding is that there are a lot of changes that make it a significant upgrade over the SNES version.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Man, Level 5 is such a depressing developer. They can achieve greatness, just look at DQ9. But so often they just pump out Another Level 5 Game.

I was always under the impression that Dragon Quest 8 and 9 were made by Yuji Horii and the team he usually has for Dragon Quest, and that they just used Level 5 for their graphics. Was I mistaken?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's supposed to play like ZHP for the PSP, which was NIS's take on a rougelike and pretty cool. Not digging the new super anime feel though, which supposedly was done because ZHP didn't feel enough like a Disgaea to the devs. Ugh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Those faces are the creepiest loving thing. It's like looking at "realistic" PS3 game like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the first time but a hundred times worse.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The sixth Fire Emblem has at least a few instances where you have a lot to do in one chapter even within the context of every map being Seize, especially since a number of chapters have a time limit to get to side chapters that you need for legendary weapons. But yeah, Fire Emblem in general is at its best in the hard modes or the harder games' earlier levels where you can't just brute force everything, IMO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I assume Chrono Trigger was made by a lot of people contributing, whereas FF10's gameplay stuff was him without any restraints. Kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics was fairly polished even if it had some stupid stuff like Deep Dungeon/Midnight's Deep, but Tactics Ogre for the PSP is every possible way you can make a game a grindy slog that could have been fixed in five minutes, despite being made much later later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

You need to grind for like five minutes to get past the first dungeon, then you're fine from there. No more grinding necessary. It's pretty much a gag based on how old dragon quest played.

I wouldn't even say you have to grind exactly, just exploring the nearby region is enough to level you up for the dungeon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Get the boomerang for the hero and put everything towards it. Bosses are easy. You might not be as effective against bosses but the game will be so much more enjoyable when there's no random battles that will ever take you more than 2 rounds. There are a TON of random battles. I would say this is the most important thing to know to enjoy the game. You seriously do not want to be spending > 2 rounds on random battles, which you probably will with a sword.

There's no reason you can't just ignore the Boomerang skill tree and just swap weapons around as needed. Or better yet, only put enough points in Boomerang for the Power Throw or whatever that does full damage to everything. IIRC the Boomerang skillset mostly has crappy gimmick skills anyway, so investing points unless you're specifically gunning for the one or two good ones seems like a waste, compared to Swords where you get mostly good skills, let along Courage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Grinnblade posted:

Did you (FINAL BOSS KIND OF FUNNY MOMENT SPOILER) join the Shadow Queen? Because that's forgivable. If not, :laffo:

To be fair, there's the Pit of 100 Trials if you try getting the Strange Sack early, or the one enemy that stunlocks you until you die. Other than that though I dunno what could kill you in Paper Mario 2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter about the Tactics Ogre remake here and put out my opinion, which is that it might have been a great game. As it stands, some its mechanics just flagrantly get in the way of enjoying the game.

The class level system would have been a great idea with the right implementation, but in the context of TO's gameplay, it doesn't seem to serve any design purpose. You'd assume that associating experience levels with classes instead of individual characters would allow the player to quickly replace a dead character and therefore allow the designers to increase the game's overall difficulty, but the individualized skill system is so spectacularly grindy that, if this was a design objective, it's categorically unaccomplished -- replacing a dead character would require hours and hours of grinding skills points and skill experience back. Furthermore, the game leaves you no way to allow new classes to quickly catch up -- they all start at level 1, and while the game tends to assign a bit more experience to underleveled classes, it's simply not enough. This leaves the player with three bad choices: either bring low level classes into story battles where they'll be completely useless, never touch new classes, or grind the new classes out -- which has the side effect of dramatically overlevelling your main army, making the next half-dozen story battles a complete cakewalk. It's just... terribly implemented. The game is good, but it doesn't allow you to enjoy what it has to offer.

That's my biggest complaint about the game -- the rest is mostly small but baffling mistakes:

• I don't understand how any moderately sane QA tester or game design team member could have possibly okayed the crafting system; I'm going to blame Japanese cultural reverence for elders and hierarchy for this one. You're in a pretty bad spot when nobody has the balls to call out senior designers for their terrible ideas.
  • Skill experience rates: good lord I don't have time for this.
  • Unique character recruitment schemes that are esoteric on a level resembling imaginary mathematics (just kidding; imaginary math isn't that complicated).
  • The individual level up stat bonus system: no seriously who thought this was a good idea?

That said, it's still fun to play, has great sound design, and it's translated by Kajiya Productions so it's definitely worth playing.

You forgot to mention that the game also has equipment restrictions based on your level. So a level 1 guy in a new class is truly dead weight, because they can only equip the worst equipment in the game even if they had the Excalibur III equipped a few minutes ago. I'm not really a fan of the game as a whole, since it's like the clunkiest RPG I've ever played and from what I can tell from looking around they changed some stuff for the worse for literally no reason, like Denam having the recruit skill innately, but if people enjoy it for some reason, more power to them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I feel like you must have no soul if you think "Crawd has advanced forward...heh" and "Pear into peaches" are only endearing lines because of nostalgia. Regardless, PSP's voice actors are competent at worst in other stuff, but in Star Ocean tradition the direction is complete rear end for like 80% of the cast, which is pretty bad since SO has the whole Golden Sun thing going on where there's a lot of dialogue to go over simple plot points and you can't mash through it super fast, so you're going to be listening to it a lot anyway.

Hell, the PS1 version of SO2 is probably better because you can at least emulate it and blitz past the Golden Sun walls of text.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Polsy posted:

I played the game for the first time a few years ago and it didn't even sound like that to me, even with knowing ahead of time that that's what everyone thought it sounded like. I don't know whether everyone just had bad sound on their TVs 15 years ago or what.

It didn't really sound like that to me either, to be honest, but it doesn't really sound like "Tear into pieces" either, so...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

All JRPGs are good.

Except Ni no Kuni.

Star Ocean 4?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Wild Arms franchise in general is not very popular. Even popular franchises have a really hard time getting fan translations done for games that already have a translation, even a lovely translation. (Note how there's no meaningful retranslation for FFVII, literally the most successful JRPG ever.)

Are you insinuating that the current ongoing FF7 retranslation isn't meaningful goon sir??? Judas Iscairot is going to change the entire franchise!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erebus posted:

Weird that making the same loving Disgaea game over and over again hasn't worked out for them.

They made a ton of other games in between the Disgaeas that not nearly as many of their fans seemed to like, so this isn't really fair.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

So what makes Grandia 3 and Xtreme bad? Also thinking about trying Breath of Fire Quarter, but mainly asking about urgency of story for all those games.

Cause I realize if a plot isn't moving at a decent pace towards its goal, I get real disinterested quickly.

Neither are bad JRPGs, but it's really obvious that they were written by different people than the first two. Aside from the series's signature battle system 3 is basically a generic melodramatic JRPG story past the first few hours, and Xtreme doesn't care much about its story of character interaction. That said, 3 is actually a decently challenging game, and Xtreme is a Grandia dungeon crawler, so if you like the battle system they're worth looking into.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
What's the deal with that anyway? I heart they did it for SMT4 to cover the costs of localizing a relatively niche text-heavy game and releasing it like two months after the JP release, but the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake didn't get that treatment, right? Or their other titles since.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

This would push it from 'terrible' to 'haha fuckers lookit this guy' by the devs and it would be awesome.

Especially if everybody else's name was just, like "Jane" and "Frederick"

Edge Maverick is already pretty much amazing for that reason though, so I'm not sure what the guy's complaining about to begin with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The only problem with Liam's Lezard Valeth is that he has to compete with Koyasu and that isn't a battle he can win.

Bro, if there's someone who can chew scenery harder than Liam O'Brian going full ham you have to link that poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you don't pick Bianca you might actually be a monster

If you don't pick Deborah she spends the rest of her life a spinster and if you don't pick Biancq she spends it with a nice guy that loves her in a nice village. Idk how that makes you a monster.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

I basically spent the entire fight desperately healing with everyone that wasn't carver so I don't think anyone else would have gotten a chance to cast with the claw anyway. I'll need to remember to drop it to milly when carver outgrows it though

The staff nevan came with was insanely clutch on my hero though

Hey, since you're about to get vocations some advice: You only have enough time to get two vocations and an unlocked advance vocation unlocked by the end of the game without grinding, so don't hop around leveling classes that don't go towards an advanced one. Make sure Hero masters either Gladiator, Sage, Luminary, or Ranger.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Is there ever a point where Ashlynn isn't an utter garbage fire of a character

she's level 24 and advanced to armamentalist and she's still just complete and utter trash

I heard in the original she resisted pretty much all forms of magic (everyone had a few resists in DQ6 SFC) which probably would have helped a lot. And the special unique spell she got later got nerfed. So, no, not really. She's kind of awful for everything but party chat since the other magey types don't die to a stiff breeze. Usually I just made her a Sage so she could healbot with her insane MP reserves.

She's one of the better characters to have around for party chat along with Amos and Carver, for what it's worth.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm more curious how they're gonna handle the Magypsies. I guess Earthbound already has a T rating though, so they might just say gently caress it to everything but the very very disturbing Lucas learning PSI scene.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
4 is a very good, very cool game, but the whole system where you run from castle to castle doing nothing between each castle after the initial start of chapter enemy onslaught could have been done better. I also consider it the absolute jankiest and unbalanced you can make a game and still have it be great overall.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It fixed a bunch of bugs. The most fundamental one though is that Evade literally didn't work, your M.Evade was used for both. This meant, among other things, that Blind was literally a meaningless status effect. (And also hilariously that the item Goggles did nothing at all.)

And FF7 went on to have a glitch that didn't give you the magic defense boosts from armor or something. Which makes me wonder how easy it was supposed to be if no one caught that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragon Quest 8 for having poo poo to find and generally giving the impression of a living breathing world that was fun as poo poo to run around in.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Or equip Force Armor + Force Shield + Mystery Veil on either Celes or Terra :getin:

I thought Ultima was unblockable though?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Am I just really bad at JRPG/crafting, or is there a serious lack of water in Atelier Rorona to gather early on? Seems like it'd be easy to find and not buy, because, you know, loving water and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Undertale was horrendously overrated.

And? Doesn't mean it didn't do anything unique or well just cause people think its the alpha and omega of indie gaming, just like how FF7 is noteworthy for all the weird poo poo it did that all the fans forget about.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I'm starting to think that Star Ocean might just be a bad series in general.

It basically is, even 2 has waves of badly edited, repetitive dialogue that gets in the way of the fun combat, along with the obtuse JRPG poo poo everyone loves like the main character's best weapon needing another missable one to be forged I a special way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

So is there grinding in Tactics Ogre? This is important, because I am bad at tactics games, and bad at Ogre games unless I have a Lich deployed in a unit led by a Princess

There's a retarded system where there aren't individual unit levels, only class levels, and every class starts at level 1, so have fun grinding if you want to use ones that appear past Chapter 1! But difficulty wise I never felt like I had to grind, at least because archers/bows are so stupidly strong.