Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zereth posted:

... uh oh. Maybe I should've held off on picking up Blacksmithing and Alchemy until I could actually put together the materials to make jewelry and such. :ohdear:

Haven't spent any LP on combat skills or stats, though, and I'm going to use everything I bought sooner or later (or have used it extensively already) so I guess I'll just be very carefully poking wildlife to death for a while.

As far as I know, you can't blacksmith Axes and hammers, so if your going Blacksmithing use swords. Eventually, when you get swords and axes/hammers to a certain rank (I think 6?), you learn how to use 2 handed weapons in 1 hand, so it seems that weapon choices don't really matter in the long run anyways, just that swords are more defensive at the beginning, and axe/hammer is more offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wendell posted:

Risen isn't first person. At least it better not be, because I've been planning to buy it.

It's not. There may be a button to toggle it, can't remember, but if their is, it's not necessary.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NewtGoongrich posted:

Saga Frontier 2 is a great game up to the very end. I'm having flashbacks right now. All I see is steel. So much steel. Oh there's an egg.

I always liked that part story wise. Who knew that an army who used entirely steel armor and weapons would crush people using wood and stone.

Didn't make it easier to play though. :gonk:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is Fire Emblem similar to Final Fantasy Tactics in that it's mainly story and battles trading off with no exploration of the world, exploration is never mentioned in the reviews I've read, so I'm assuming it is.

Yes. You finish a battle, then go to the next point on your map for the next story battle. The new one added side missions you could do to get new characters though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I think Live-A-Live would of been better if most of the chapters didn't overstay their welcome, like the Cowboy one. That had a pretty neat gimmick and didn't last long enough to bum me out like the near future one did. Man did that one just go on and on.

Though I did like playing (maybe spoilers if your going to play it?)the last chapter as the Cowboy and utterly destroying everything with hurricane shot.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

And the whole world was stunned because no one knew he had it in him.

Seriously. With how ear grating I found SO4 soundtrack, I didn't believe that he also did Dark Souls for a few days. :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So the new Risen game came out and I have heard literally nothing about it. Anyone try it yet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Someone mentioned RPG maker games last page and I'm trying to remember one I played a few years back.

The game starts with you as a dark knight being locked in prison, and then getting broken out by a rebel group. The game also had a weird skill system where instead of getting skills on level you got skill points, which you could put into/out of different skill categories to unlock your skills. Anyone remember the name of it?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MotU posted:

The Tactics Ogre: LUCT remake is the best SRPG forever, though

brb clicking the craft button 1000+ times to make a single weapon

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MotU posted:

Don't forget to save/reload when you go to make the expensive components.

gently caress i was at wootz steel and it failed fuuuuuuuck.

i refuse to believe that they tested the crafting system when they released it, because who the hell is crazy enough to think that was a good implementation.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

foutre posted:

I have all three Gothics in my backlog, which one is best to try first? Is it important to go chronologically?

1+2 are good. 3 isnt very good and you might as well skip it and buy the first risen if you want more gothic.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

3 should have revolved entirely around ThomasGeddoe.

ftfy

in fact, they should of just made a spin off game focusing on Geddoe and his merry band of mercenaries, since they are the best part of the game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i remember liking warsong, but its been a while.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

HGH posted:

That's the "localized" Langrisser, right?

yep.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Playing Vagrant Story right now, how reliant on the crafting system? I tried messing around with it, but gave up because I couldn't figure out how it worked.

its been a very long time since i played the game, but i remember the most important thing when it comes to doing damage to enemies is knowing what kind of damage they're weak against. for example, hitting a golem with a edged weapon doesnt work very well, while hitting it with a blunt works much better. even a edged weapon that has a preferred enemy type against golems would still be worse than the blunt weapon without it.

i don't remember crafting being necessary, as you'll find weapons of all types, but they would definitely be better if you do craft them.

or this could all be wrong because im running on like 10 year old knowledge at this point.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

waah posted:

Morrigan was just Bioware trolling video game dudes who assumed that the chick with giant jugs would want to sleep with them if they were "nice".

except she did sleep with you if you were nice to her

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 is unremitting garbage.

correction: the OC is a real slog with some high points but a lot of low points. MoTB is super cool though and Storm of Zehir is pretty fun too in a more open kind of way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think the witcher games are fun and cool

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kotor 2 let me run around duel wielding pistols instead of using a light saber and still be a viable and contributing member of the team even when other jedi were using their light sabers, which kotor 1 didnt let me do because everything but melee was completely useless. shame that the ending is unfinished but the rest of the game is p dang good.

e: if you do play kotor 2, you should pick a male character. while the exile's canon sex is female, her unique character is less developed and less interesting than the males.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 13, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the biggest crime that so4 did was that you didn't get your loving healer until disc 2.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Did she blow up the planet because of an accident or was it intentional?

accident

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lol if anyone thinks its not going to be on generic fantasy planet 12

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if you do plan on pickpocketing make sure to keep restarting until your main has the dexterous(or was it called nimble fingers?) trait at the start or don't even bother.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they made rena look like shes 12 in the psp version which is weird.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the psp star ocean games added a 3 hit combo on normal attacks that are better than the majority of your arts, which is a bummer. of course the only other way to play so1 is on snes with a translation patch that is horribly buggy so thats just something you have to deal with.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Special moves that get bigger and better when you use them are my jam, and so2 had some great examples. In fact, that is pretty much what distinguishes tales games I like from those I don't (sorry, vesperia).

i thought they did in vesperia? fireball started shooting more balls the more you use it for example?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Der loving Langrisser

the independent path of 2 has some of my favorite lines from a protagonist of any jrpg i've played. hes just so tired of these idiots suiciding on him.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

No, Tales was.

Tales of Destiny: December 1997.
Star Ocean 2: July 1998.

did star ocean 2 have skits, or are you thinking of the town exploration things? cause if so star ocean 1 had those too.

also i too thought xenoblade was mediocre.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i killed bloody mary by hitting her for 1 damage a poo poo load of times. gently caress bloody mary.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i liked suikoden 3 alot and geddoe is a cool protagonist.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

Sephiroth could beat goku, since he can reconstitute himself infinitely.

wat if goku blows up the planet

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goku can instant transmission tho so he could just punt sephiroth across the galaxy or something, and then punt him to another place in the galaxy if he gets close to a planet.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

unlimited shrimp posted:

If I don't like NWN2 within the first few hours of gameplay, does it eventually get better?
Everything seems really twee and the voice acting is so loving bad it's ridiculous.

the first chapter of nwn2 is a real slog, the later parts of the games are alright, and the stronghold is nifty. the first expansion is really good though

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

What was Uematsu on when he came up with the music for the Gargant tunnels? It's not the worst thing I've heard from a video game, but listening to that song for too long still makes me sick.

i thought you were going to link this tbh.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208580/announcements/detail/145589580847766181

didnt see that coming.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man im getting some real weird deja vu here.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

How is Star Ocean 1, specifically the psp remake? I love Star ocean 2 but I never actually played the first game.

its okay, though the psp remake adds a 3 hit combo for normal attacks that makes arts completely useless.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Are there any JRPGs that aren't about either racism metaphor or religion metaphor

live a live

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'll always respect infinite undiscovery for having (kinda spoilers?)the main character getting super loving pissed later in the game and actually changing his battle dialog to reflect that

dont really see that often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

I bought Gothic 2 on the thread's recommendation and so far I've fallen off a tower to death, got eaten by wildlife (many, many many times), got beat up by random ruffians, sliced up by orcs, sliced up by orcs after coming out of a teleporter, sliced up by orcs after coming out of a cave, sliced up by bridge bandits, and now a pirate is forcing me to dig up his treasure for some reason? I don't know anything about the game (what do the stats even do?) but it's awesome.

i have beaten gothic 2 twice and all these same things still happen when i replay it.