Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Miketopus posted:

I have three bits of advice for you that may serve you well:

1. Clive is a powerhouse. Give him most of your raw attack boosting stuff. Virginia is pretty good too, but she's more balanced. Jet's quick, but lacks the punch of the other two.

2. Gallows is your best magic user. He's also slower than anything else on the planet. Try to solve this issue.

3. Rename the spells by hand. They sound stupid.

I beat the game, but it was years ago when I did. Sorry I don't remember many specifics beyond that. The GameFAQs docs were fairly spot on, at least.

It was always my experience that Clive was slower than Gallows. Either way, have Clive target a separate enemy than everyone else, because he will almost assuredly kill it all by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I was thinking about KOTOR 2 and wondering how the restoration project was going, and to my surprise it was completed nearly 2 years ago.

Has anyone played it? How much do the restored bits really add to the game?

It makes the game feel closer to complete, and gives the ending actual closure. There isn't much of a reason to NOT play with it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan retranslation project.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Wendell posted:

I loving loved Wild Arms 5 up until the end when I wasn't high enough level to beat a boss. This is not a game that is good for grinding in, so I just stopped.

The story is so cliche that it actually stole its three main characters straight out of Skies of Arcadia, but it's as sincere in its bright eyed love of adventure as that game was and that is a drat good thing. It also some pretty good puzzle dungeons, as is series standard.

I legitimately enjoyed Dean as a protagonist. It was nice having a leader be confident without being arrogant, and be the one to inspire and motivate the other party members instead usually the other way around.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Press Select, I believe.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Stelas posted:

I will give FF13-2 praise for properly giving the player some freedom in how they move around the game, and for making the FF13 battle system a notch or two harder - I remember going straight through FF13 in a shot, while 2 stomped me down when I got overconfident a couple of times. But the plot and the characters were seriously awful.

Except for Hope. Hope turned into CAPTAIN SCIENCE and it was awesome.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Levantine posted:

I love FM4 as well. I loved FM5 after the translation patch hit and hate SquareEnix for what they did to the series after that. I'd love a return to form for that series.

I enjoyed FM4 a lot more than I thought I would. My primary complaint with it was that you couldn't really target points on a wanzer like in previous games, making crippling them a total game of chance.

My other complaint is one entirely of my making: whenever I was controlling Elsa, every battle was a struggle to survive, but whenever I was in command of Darril, I was a bipedal god of destruction.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Plus FM3 was the last game that let you eject and shoot at robots with a pistol

More importantly you could robo-punch someone out of their wanzer.

And then take it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Worth noting that one of the main characters is an incredible douche and it is wildly entertaining.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gyoru posted:

I figured a few of the regulars of this thread would be interested even though it's not technically a RPG.

XSEED has announced the official release date of Way of the Samurai 4.

August 21st - PSN release only.

edit:

YES

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only reason anyone should play 4 is to give Tactics some more context, but frankly it doesn't need it. Tactics rules all on its own.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I feel like people didn't really sell FM3 in the right way.

You can literally punch people out of their wanzers.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm probably going to be picking up a PSP soon and can get FFIV on that, and now I ask you JRPG nerds to offer your advice as to which system I should play it on - on my DS XL or on the PSP? This is definitely not a game I will play more than once, I don't reckon, and having the option to play it on both, well, I obviously want to go for the one that is the best experience. I've read that the PSP is the definitive version - is this true, or just what biased PSP owners say?

They're two very different versions of the game.

The PSP version is an upgrade of the GBA version (which itself is an upgrade of the SNES original) with a fresh coat of sprite paint and extensive bug fixing, and includes the sequel The After Years, which has a horrible story and some neat gimmicks woven into the battle system. It also includes a completely worthless "bridging" sequel in-between the regular story and After Years called Interlude that sucks hot poo poo.

The DS version is a complete 3D remake with voice-acted cutscenes and rebalanced, much more difficult gameplay. It has some new, but different, gimmicks added to the battle system. This doesn't include After Years or Interlude, which to some people is a blessing.

As for which one is the better experience, it's kind of up to personal taste. If you want something that reminds you of the SNES days, get the PSP version. If you want something with a high-degree of challenge/bullshit difficulty spikes, go for the DS version. Personally, I prefer the DS version.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ciaphas posted:

Is Graces f genuinely fun/worth playing? I picked it up at... some point then more or less forgot I had it. :v:

(oh god my steam habits are transiting to physical disks oh nooooooo)

Graces f is fun as hell, but the story is pants-on-head retarded. That game is very much carried by its battle system, and it's carried very well.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, guess I'll give Graces f a try. Hell, it's already sitting there. Anything I should know in gameplay terms going in besides that the childhood section is probably easy and boring?

Always be using the Eleth Mixer. Also don't get too attached to Asbel for battling, the other characters are really fun to play as, too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The White Dragon posted:

Also remember that you can switch weapons mid-combat; you'll need that later on in the dungeon.

If I recall, actually, it's not all that necessary; (sort of boss spoilers?) you're given a chance to enter the menu after Edward disables the magnetic field and before you re-engage the Dark Elf. I might be wrong, though, it's been awhile since I've played FFIV.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mustang posted:

However I'm playing through Xenoblade Chronicles right now and it's definitely worth playing. It still has a bit of that weird Japanese obsession of adding cute things (creatures called Nopon in Xenoblade) but the rest of the game is excellent.

You haven't experienced enough of Riki to understand why it was necessary for Nopon to exist.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Riki sneaky.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

U-DO Burger posted:

The key to enjoying combat in Xenoblade is to bench your dedicated healer. Combat goes much faster and there's more party synergy in chain attacks.

This is the best piece of advice you will ever hear about Xenoblade (short of heeding all warnings about Riki's level of sneakiness). I've just gotten Seven as a permanent party member, and I've been running Seven/Dunban/Melia and leaving the healing to chain attacks (courtesy of that one skill that heals you with chain attacks). Everything dies so rapidly that's all the healing I've been needing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The real secret to making FFXII engaging is to set it to maximum active speed and use gambits only for auto-attack, buffs, and post-battle curing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So basically the game plays itself. I guess having to choose a spell now and again makes it interesting.

edit: vvvvvv I never said it did, but acting as if FF12 had some great combat system is just dishonest. It is the same poo poo as just about every other rpg, only automated.

Yeah, I'm not saying it has a great battle system, either, but IZJS places a much bigger emphasis on magic making deal quite a bit more damage than auto-attacking in many situations, and if you don't go insane with grinding, this setup strips out a lot of the tedium when fighting random enemies, but stronger enemies and bosses means you have to pay attention.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Haseo, the main character of G.U., carried me through the story of those games. He's such a little single-minded rear end in a top hat, it's kind of enjoyable to watch people spout exposition at him and his reply is either essentially "I don't care" or "shut the gently caress up." Even when he becomes slightly more like a standard JRPG protagonist, he's still a colossal dick about it.

I'd be interested in seeing CyberConnect attempt another .hack game/series, considering now they have a long line of excellent Naruto games under their belt. And Asura's Wrath, I guess.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Clearly you angered one of the many vengeful gods that inhabit Unlimited SaGa, and they saw fit to exact a toll for your indiscretions.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MechaX posted:

While I do think that Dragon Quarter is the best out of the series now, hoo boy, did I hate the poo poo out of that game when I first tried it, and I certainly can't blame BOF fans for hating it no matter how many tries they gave it. Weird anorexic-looking characters, limit on a dragon form, let alone the lack of real dragon transformations, grimdark story where most of it is left out unless you complete the game without sucking too much, and no real exploration and a very lame loot-ish system. It only really clicked after I had messed up two/three times and really started to pay attention to what worked and what didn't in the battle system. The music is pretty nice too.

It's still lame how a lot of the very interesting story and background segments are New Game + ranking unlocks.

I would have liked to see a Dragon Quarter 2, I think they could have absolutely nailed the gameplay they were going for with a second go-around. Sadly, it's likely we'll never see even a regular BoF again.

I still hum the boss theme from time to time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Persona 4 is literally Anime Scooby Doo: The RPG and if that doesn't make you wanna play it then you won't like it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TheBigTwo posted:

Oh okay, thanks I'll get it then, if there's one thing I like in an rpg it's hitting enemies so hard that they die several times.

Just to give you some kind of perspective, in endgame Disgaea games, a million damage is a weak attack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The battle system in Star Ocean 4 is so loving good it carried me through... well, everything else.

It's just a real drat shame about that everything else.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can cope with SO4's incarnation of Welch, you've got the patience of a saint.

I honestly remember almost nothing about SO4 outside of the battle system except EDGE MAVERICK, destroying parallel timeline 1940s Earth because Edge is the biggest moron, and kay?.

I also remember the reasoning behind Edge using a sword instead of a gun was because his superior reflexes made bullets move too slow or somesuch kintergarden playground garbage.

It also has one of the best battle themes Motoi Sakuraba's ever done for Star Ocean/Tales games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefEs1rxVEQ

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What exactly goes on in anime games? Are they all dating sims?

The funny thing is the best anime game of all, Persona 4 (Golden), is like 40% relationship management sim.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

McDragon posted:

Edge Maverick never fails to give me the giggles. It's just so very aggressively silly.

If you read his glossary entry, it dips into fanfiction territory real fast.

The reason he uses a sword is because his reflexes are too honed for a gun and bullets :shepface:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

You can't do worse than Fate Linegod in name or character. He's a key reason why I hate SO3 more than any other JRPG I've played in history.

Endorph posted:

Not Fate. Fayt. :goonsay:

Also it's Leingod. If it was Linegod, I could at least pretend it was pronounced lin-eh-god, which could at least maybe pass for a believable last name.

Instead it's Fayt Leingod, pronounced exactly as you think it is, attached to a character deserving of a name so stupid.

EDIT: Welp, turns out his Japanese name was Fate Linegod, so the translators actively made things worse. :smithicide:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CVagts posted:

So y'all would recommend Resonance of Fate? It's one of the few 360 RPGs I haven't tried yet, and it's been around long enough that I'm sure I could find it for cheap.

I loving love Resonance of Fate, but be forewarned that it is concentrated Tri-Ace inanity. This is the video that gets linked every time RoF gets brought up, but it's the best litmus test as to whether you'll like the game or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_sLMWE_6Uo

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

WYA posted:

Is Radiant Historia a good game? What other DS rpgs are good (leaning more to strategic and difficult)

In addition to what everyone else has said, the main character is freakishly competent, and not just by JRPG standards.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

S-Alpha posted:

I've got a bit of a question - Are any of the other Wild Arms games past 2 any good? I've been replaying WA2 lately because it's the second best RPG with an off-brand Kamen Rider protagonist (out of two), and I'm thinking of giving the others a try once I'm done.

I've played WA1 before, and while it's competent enough, the in-game models just kill it for me. That, and it's locked up the last four times I've played it in the exact same place, so I'm a little soured on it. So, are any of the others good, or should I just dismiss them?

3 and 5 are pretty great, 4 is hot garbage.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Suikoden games have EXP scaling based on level; the conceit is that it's supposed to make it easy to catch up characters that are behind. The soft level cap for any area is exceedingly generous, however, so it works in your favor as you'll end up outclassing the enemies long before EXP gains become worthless. It's not great, but it's most definitely not bad, either.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Wild ARMs 5 holds a special place in my heart for having the energetic center of the party also be the protagonist. Dean's the one who picks up everyone when they're down, and keeps the group on-task and motivated through almost the entire game.

The game's also filled with dorky-rear end moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNdqOpVo-M

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Front Mission 3 will always have a special place in my heart for having the ability to punch a pilot out of their mech.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CommissarMega posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is there any legal way to play a console RPG on the PC via an emulator? Like say, I buy a PS RPG on a CD or something, can I install and play if I have a proper emulator?

It's kind of a legal grey area, but no one's gonna give you a hard time if you do exactly what you said.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
E&L owns megabones and all of the characters are pretty rad. It's way more structured than any other Atelier, giving you a task every three months with a bunch of optional stuff as well. It makes it a lot easier to jump into, and also keeps you from feeling like you're unsure if you wasted a bunch of time not making progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SpaceDrake posted:

Gonna lay down some nonspecific ~smack-talk~ and say that I'm not terribly surprised the loc work is a bit lackluster (though I of course have no idea what kind of deadlines or conditions TK or Gust imposed on the people who did it, either). It's one of the reasons I've hesitated playing the English version myself (it helps that my current game backlog is epic) though I really should try it out.

It's too bad - if we weren't tied up with other things, and could figure out how to even properly get in touch with TK America (no, seriously, they are unbelievably difficult to get a hold of), Atelier is one of those things I've been wanting to get involved with as part of CF's "third-party" business for a while now. The Dusk series is something I'd really have loved to take a stab at - when I was playing Ayesha, I was a bit distracted because I was constantly rewriting the dialogue in my head, figuring out how I'd do it. :v:

I'm not in the localization business, and I do the same thing. You should hire me. I'm your coil tank, I think I deserve the handout.

E&L's translation is murky, but far from terrible. The dialog's fine, and I like how the characters interact with each other.

Wild ARMs 2's translation, however, is borderline incomprehensible a lot of the time, and actually incomprehensible the rest of the time.