Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Getting a korean monitor as a christmas present for a person who does photo editing is the worst idea I've heard today.

Not only is there an enormous risk of getting a faulty panel, but these monitors aren't the right thing to get for someone who cares about color. They have no adjustments and are not calibrated. Not to mention that a decent percent of the faulty ones exhibit color uniformity issues.

You're talking about a "gift" with a 25% chance of having to be sent back to Korea at a cost of $100+, and even if it isn't faulty it isn't good for color-sensitive work.

Just get him a damned U2410. They were on sale for $400 flat yesterday.

Eh, it's not professional and I already bought him a colorimeter, so I can calibrate. Considering his two monitors right now are a 27" 1080p Samsung and a 24" 1st-gen Gateway LCD from 2006, it's going to be an improvement.

And if it turns out not to be good, it's an excuse for me to get one so v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Slark posted:

Are Korean monitors really that faulty? Although I'm not sure how they are in term of color calibration but almost all my geek mates own a Samsung monitor, and they told me Samsung ones are generally considered having much less dead pixels than other Asian brands.

You can pay a little premium for a display guaranteed to be under a certain number of defective pixels. They're an excellent bang-for-the-buck display.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. It looks like the U2414M just isn't on the Dell website, so I'm leaning toward the U2412M.

The U2414M could be from the future, time-traveler man :stare:

(the last two digits are usually the model year)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aatrek posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my dual-monitor setup after the first of the year, and I'm coming from a pair of 20.5" Dell 2007WFPs. My current video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5450.

I'm thinking that a pair of 23" monitors will work in my current desktop arrangement, without overtaking things, but am having trouble deciding between these two Dells:

Either one will be a huge step up from what I'm currently using. I'm not a big gamer, I don't do a lot of video editing, but I do like to do a decent amount of photography and Photoshop work, so accurate colors are important to me. I don't know if that extra $60 per monitor is worth forking over for the IPS display, since I've been using these existing monitors for 5+ years with no real issues (and I'm trying not to break the bank on this upgrade).

Thoughts and recommendations? Is the lower-priced option here the better one for me, or is there another manufacturer you'd recommend for the same size / price range?

Also, on a separate note, is there a decent HDMI -> dual display splitter that I should look at?

You want the U2312s, they'll last you another 5+ years easily. Accurate, beautiful IPS colors.

For splitter, I assume you want something that takes one HDMI signal and turns it into two identical outputs?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The only possibility is that your video card may actually have the HDMI and DVI off the same display pipe, and you can't use them both together. That was more a Nvidia thing though.

But if that's not the case, hit up Monoprice for a cheap adapter or cable. I use one with one of my 2209WAs, because the GT210 I have has 1x DVI and 1x HDMI.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spaceship posted:

Google Chromebook PIxel is now the best IPS display on the market [!!]

Man I totally missed this, I should update the title!

And I guess there are a bunch of updates to make to the OP eh.

Megiddo posted:

Sorry for using the terms interchangeably - it was just persistence that went away after 30 minutes. Still very annoying. I was planning to make my old Acer H243H my TV monitor in this room anyway, so it's not something I'm too worried about. I'll just have to be sure to set a more aggressive screensaver time and set the wallpaper image to change frequently when using it as a computer monitor.

If it keeps happening, I might be interested in upgrading to one of the recommended IPS 24-ish LCDs in the OP if they are less prone to have persistence issues.

I don't think you'll have an issue with the models in the OP like the Dells, though I can't personally say I've done something like leave the CNN ticker running for hours on end, but then again, I haven't seen any persistence from the taskbar when I switch to a game or something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

As awesome as having a 5120x1600 desktop is, now I have to turn my head to look from one display to the other. Also, I should probably get a bigger desk.

Pictures motherfucker!

I've entertained getting a second 30" or a 27", but my 2x22" + 30" combo is working fairly well for now. Maybe when I move someplace I'll have a dedicated office...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

upsciLLion posted:

Newegg had this monitor for $550 shipped after coupon recently. If you care to wait for another deal like that, you can go to most any hot deals site and sign up for an email alert for any deals with "U2713HM" in the entry.

Yeah, it was a pretty amazing price. I was very, very tempted to jump on it even though I really have no need for it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Agh, sorry for neglecting this thread (maybe it's time for a reboot, dunno).

I just got in my Monoprice Zero-G 27" display...bought it for myself to use at work because it was cheap. Glossier than I expected, but for the price...no dead pixels, pretty meh stand (no height adjustment :argh:), and otherwise decent. Really wish it had DisplayPort though...Lenovo sucks horribly and the DVI ports on the docking station don't do dual-link.

I will say though, I took my existing 24" display from work (VG248) and turned it portrait mode side-by-side with the 27"...it definitely does have a slight shimmer/shift moving my head side-to-side, and 24" is almost a little too big for a vertical monitor IMO. I have a 2209WA at home in vertical mode; I think the perfect fit would be a 1920x1080/1200 23" monitor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Saba posted:

Does yours still have the broken brightness control? I imagine it isn't as obvious in an office setting due to brighter overhead lighting. I've been thinking of using mine at work and picking up a different monitor for home.

Doesn't seem "broken" (I can adjust it OK); there definitely is more glare than I would like in an office with a single overhead fluorescent light. Thinking about switching lighting in that office to a floor lamp or something for some more diffuse lighting.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

I'm still far too vain to use a CRT unless some mystical company has been producing large crt's this whole time and I never knew.

FW900 time :getin:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

horchata posted:

Has anyone used the monitor mounts sold at Monoprice or Amazon?

Mainly talking about these two
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

If so, are they decent enough quality?

The first one is a little "ehhh" IMHO; granted the desk I mounted it on is cheap, terrible IKEA, but it seems to barely support the mass of my Dell 2209WA, which is a fairly light 22" monitor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sedaps posted:

Anyone with experience buying mini-displayport to Dual-Link DVI adapters? Trying to setup monitor Korean 27" monitors but looks like all those monitros only have DL-DVI. I am seeing the price ranges form $10-$150. Some ove rthe converters states only supporting up to 1200, so gets me worried of buying wrong one that cannot support 1440. If anyone knows kind of the going price or recommend specific ones, would really appreciates it.

Lenovo saw fit to make their docks only do single-link DVI apparently, so I'm using an Apple Mini-DP to DVI adapter to use my T430s w/ Monoprice 27" display. Kind of silly now that I have disconnect two wires from my laptop everytime I undock, but whatever, dumb decision on Lenovo's part w.r.t dock design. FFS the chips involved all support dual-link too :argh:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nephilm posted:

PWM dimming is being phased out :v:, I can see the flicker on CCFLs so that's an improvement, and the latter also turn yellow over time. You may have a case for iterations of a particular product/line, but overall poo poo is getting better.

Also, we could go on a long discussion about the merits of CRT and Plasma, but it's irrelevant since we're discussing the progression of a particular technology - don't bring up apples vs oranges.

PS. Newer light-AG coatings are merely passable; I wouldn't be able to stand the older dell models for everyday use.

I used my FW900s far longer than I probably should have...at some point, the amazing black-levels + refresh rates for gaming stopped outweighing the razor sharp text I get on my U3011 when I've got piles and piles of code and projects open. Not having 3 giant CRTs on my desk anymore was also a plus (yes, I used to run three of the fuckers).

At this point, I'd just love the PPI train to keep marching on and delivering crisper and crisper resolutions to my display. I'd be OK with analog inputs getting phased out at this point as well; having component on my U3011 is nice and all, but now that I have my own place, I keep my old consoles hooked up out in the living room instead of all through my monitor. It'd probably result in some cost-savings for us as consumers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm going to be the first to admit I've fallen way, way behind on this thread -- think it's time for a refresh entirely? Or at least an update of the recommended displays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm, OK -- I'll do some reading to figure out what the current recommended ones are, and read the past few pages of the thread -- if anyone's had some recent buys they enjoyed, please (re)post about it here, that would be awesome.

Thinking about it, there's probably 0 mention of the 21:9 models available these days in the OP...