Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I saw this one on sale for $90 at Newegg a while ago. Newegg is currently out of stock, though.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-L2201X-21-5-Inch-Led-Monitor/dp/B0055PKLHW

It gets terrible reviews because it only has DisplayPort input and people buy it and then find out they can't hook it up.

I have this monitor (use it at times with my MacBook Pro). I like it a lot and the screen is nice - if you don't mind spending a little time adjusting what you can in your OS since there is no on-screen OSD, it's very much worth the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

What's a good "target price" to look for with regard to the Dell U2410? Right now Newegg has it with a 10% off code that would make it about $360, but if it sometimes goes lower I could wait awhile.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

What's the general consensus on the ASUS PA248Q? Amazon and Newegg both have it for $260 (well, $280 before rebate). I tried searching but couldn't find much in terms of a general consensus on its quality and such. Trying to decide whether to spring for it or wait for another deal on the U2410.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty amazing price. I was very, very tempted to jump on it even though I really have no need for it.

Re this: the U2711 is still available for $550 (plus tax where applicable) through Dell using one of the Dell coupon codes on Slick Deals. I just ordered one and definitely looking forward to using it. Now I may need a new graphics card though :downs:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Probably, but you might find a good deal on a sale somewhere. Dell has sales all the time.

LG sells this for a rrp of 379USD:

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27EA63V-P-led-monitor

Many of the Koreans use LG panels and are cheaper, but personally I don't feel comfortable buying that sort of stuff, I'd rather pay more for a reputable brand. Amazon has a bunch of them with different brand names I've never heard of for closer to $300

That LG monitor you linked to (and most ~ $300 27" name-brand monitors) are 1080p though, while berzerker was looking for a 1440p.

The Microcenter 27" 1440p is probably the closest someone will get to a name-ish brand for < $500+.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

oblomov posted:

I am looking for a 1440p monitor mainly for gaming, but also for work purposes where extra real estate space is welcome. How are the Korean monitors for gaming purposes, specifically thinking about Monoprice and Microcenter ones. I also was looking at Dell U2713HM and Asus PB278Q, but wouldn't mind saving couple hundred $$ if I could (then I could get a GTX 770 with 4GB :P). I am a bit hesitant to go with a no name Korean cheap monitor, but at least both Monoprice and Microcenter have decent return policies...

Current I got 3 x Asus 27" 1200p monitors but I never use eyefinity (ATI 6950 right now) anyway so might as well replace the middle display with something that's nicer. I was also thinking about the newer 30" Korean monitors but those all seem to be CFL.

Do you mind anti glare coatings? I believe the Dell U2711 is still on sale through Dell for $550 through the end of the month (possibly even $500 as there were some 10% off codes that stacked with the $450 off code that were working for awhile). It does use a CCFL though so if LED-backlit is critical to you then yeah you'd want to avoid it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I was hoping to get input on what is causing a problem. I just bought a Dell P2214H that was on sale to use in portrait mode but when I had Chrome open and the default white color I noticed a dark spot in the lower left corner (what would be the lower right corner in landscape view):

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to just get it replaced under warranty?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

I remember seeing some people saying that one did it...but one connection had to be Thunderbolt. It'd use the USB uplink for one machine, and do USB through the Thunderbolt connection for the other machine.

This is true, though it has dual Thunderbolt so if someone has two machines with Thunderbolt, you could use the same keyboard and mouse for three different machines if the third one is using one of the non-Thunderbolt connections.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Have you compared it side-to-side with a decent-quality new monitor? I used a ViewSonic VA1930wm full time for like 5 years and by the end it was pretty boned. It still looks OK on its own but when you put it side by side with something better it definitely sticks out that it's drifting like crazy. Not just colors, but also backlight color temp, contrast and brightness.

Was that monitor CCFL backlit though? I'm expecting LED backlit monitors to effectively last a good bit longer than CCFL LCDs did from an overall image quality/colors/etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

And the Dell U3415W is a great screen.

I keep hoping Dell will put the U3415W on sale since I have a Dell eGift Card and it expires in late March.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

PC Mag is a pretty bad shill at this point and and there isn't a lot of competition. TFTcentral does much better reviews. Anyway, it's your money.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3415w.htm

It's also based upon the type of gaming: for MMOs, strategy games, etc., it's fine. For FPS games, there could be some issues. It's not bad for "all games".

Anyway, are Dell's outlet/refurbished monitors to be trusted?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

I will find out in a week but their return policy seems to be 0 risk.

Exactly.

Out of curiosity has the monitor arrived?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

Yes it arrived and just got it set up. There's so backlight bleed but I don't notice it unless I choose an input that isn't active.

I am using the pip feature and got another 50 off of it from dell outlet so it's pretty good. I am going to see if they will do an exchange but I am very happy with it. My video card is not.

Also it's goddamn huge and ridiculous.

Nice! Could you post pictures of the backlight bleed you're seeing, assuming that's why you're thinking of seeing if you can replace it. I ended up ordering a refurbished one earlier in the week when they had a 35% off sale and it arrived unexpectedly today. It was missing a backplate but otherwise seemed to be ok, though I could see backlight bleed at the corners so now I'm wondering if I should try to get it replaced too.

I've bought a number of Apple refurbished items over the years, and wow is Dell's refurbishment process underwhelming by comparison. The screen was somewhat smudgy/dirty, the monitor barely wrapped and with stand attached, nothing on the display panel itself like the new units get, and of course the missing backplate that should take all of 5 seconds for someone to confirm is present or provide a new one.

I'll try to spend Saturday or Sunday putting it through its paces though to figure out why it had been returned.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah my concern is more that given how it was packaged, if anything could have happened during shipping or whether 90-days will be enough time to find something wrong with it. The backlight bleed doesn't look much or any worse than that though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

bolind posted:

Just wanna check back in and say that the Dell U3415W I got is pretty darn awesome.

Yeah, I ended up keeping mine also. I got it for $450 refurbished, and I had a $200 Dell e-Gift Card, so out of pocket was $250 for me. What's strange though is that Dell initially delayed the order, then asked me to agree to a FTC consent for the delay. Then it showed up on my door without ever having said shipped. Then I got another consent delay while contacting Dell to let them know I got it, and was told to agree to the consent so that it didn't cancel the order. So I've contacted Dell multiple times about having received it and that they can charge my card, but so far they haven't even though I've been using it for a month now and my order still says in production. At this point I feel like a mooch for having used it for almost a month now while they still haven't charged me but I'll assuage my slight guilt by how nice/beautiful the monitor is and that I've told them multiple times now to go ahead and charge me for it.

I've done some basic gaming on it up to/including Overwatch and it's been fine at 60 Hz which is why I'm keeping it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Dell 34" has some input lag, making it not the best gaming monitor. Just an FYI.
For someone doing casual gaming, it's really not a big deal. I play most Blizzard games and various older games, but played a bunch of Overwatch during the open beta and it was fine. While I'm sure for competitive gamers it's ideal to a Predator, I bet most people wouldn't even notice.

And the two upstream USB ports allowing a single set of peripherals to be used between two systems is absolutely one of its best selling points that I don't think any current other equivalent monitor has.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

I switch between two computers via Thunderbolt or HDMI/Displayport on my LG 34UM95-P. Thunderbolt switching is the primary reason I'm holding onto it.

xthetenth posted:

LGs with thunderbolt if you have TB do similar, but other than that nothing else. And it is totally fantastic although you can get a pretty good hardware switcher pretty cheap.

That's right, I think I bel ankles it out but I had actually considered the 34UM95-P, but a lot of reviews seemed to indicate issues with the the built-in hub and switching, and I was going to have to try and find a mATX Z97 board with TB or that could take a TB add on card. It did look like a nice monitor though.

sellouts posted:

It's such a better monitor than the u3415 I had.
For certain games you play? I thought you only had the U3415 for like a day?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Looks like those refurb X34 Predators might end up costing some of you (temporarily) more than you originally planned! :colbert:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

For some reason I thought the X34 had 1080p, which would be slightly coarse in my opinion. I suppose 1440p is fine on 34" ultrawide. Kinda like these bigass VA panels that only do 1080p.

The height of a 34" 1440p monitor is the same as a 27" 1440p monitor, it's simply wider, so there's no drop in pixel density as there is for the 1080p 27" monitors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Zotix posted:

Thoughts on this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G43J4805

I'd like to go 1440p/ 144, but i don't really want to drop $600 at this point.

It's a TN monitor, so if that's acceptable to you, why not pay a little more and get Dell's S2716DG and get 1440p and G-sync?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FYI but Costco now has the X34 Predator, and it's $1010 after shipping with an extra year of warranty and Costco's return policy. It also makes me hope we'll see it on sale there at some point.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Etrips posted:

master race!

Don't quote that Reddit meme nonsense here!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone here ever bought an "Open Box" monitor from Best Buy?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Stumpus posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the Dell S2716DG?

I was all set to buy one and then Best Buy sold out :mad:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

wicka posted:

it's a TN panel

It's possibly one of the best TN panels on the market, and when calibrated correctly, doesn't look much worse at all than an IPS ( at least, compared to the U3415W or P2314H I have). I picked one up this last week and for gaming/web browsing/basic productivity it's great.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I know IPS is better than TN but how bad are the TN Freesync and GSync panels picture quality wise? I ask cause my price range is around 500 Canadian which means TN or bust...
There's definitely a difference, but it's not as horrible as some would like to point out (and if you've never had an IPS panel like some of my friends haven't, you'd never notice anyway).

I picked up the Dell S2716DG from Best Buy when it was on sale for $450, and while I can tell slight color differences between it and my IPS monitors, it's not really that bad. I calibrated it per TFTcentral's recommendation and installed the free icc profile they provide, and I'd say it's a great monitor given its G-sync and it saved me $250-300 over what an IPS G-sync monitor would have cost.

But others put much higher value in color and viewing angles so like always it's a personal preference scenario and also depends on what you're using it for. Mines going to be used solely for gaming and dicking around on the Internet/SA, while all of my work primarily gets done on the ultrawide (CAD and the like, yay ultrawides!)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, that gaming Dell TN is decentish but color is not as good as my cheapo Korean IPSs.

After I calibrated mine, it's close to my U3415W. I can tell a difference, but I use the S2716DG for gaming and SA so I don't really care.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SgtMongoose posted:

Is the Dell U2913WM a steal at $249? Or is there something about that model that I don't know?

It was $199 a few days ago as an FYI, so I'd say that you should wait or look at one of the LGs that's comparable and cheaper.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

the good fax machine posted:

Dang, does anyone know if Costco will honor their lowest price? I'd hate to have to return mine now that I got a panel I'm happy with, but $50 isn't exactly insignificant either.

They should - just go into the warehouse and see if they have the lower price there, or if you'll have to show their online store price.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Necronomoticon posted:

I'm building a home office setup and I don't think my dream monitor exists. Any ideas on something comparable?

34in ultra wide @ 1440p.
IPS panel.
Internal power supply (probably doesn't exist anymore?)
Display output switching and USB hub so I can switch between my future gaming PC and work laptop's docking station without a separate KVM.

Sounds like the Dell U3415W or U3417W would fit all of those needs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

priznat posted:

The 34" Dells do have KVMs for 2 PCs (2 upstream usb ports) and will do split screen between video inputs iirc.

Not sure how the kvm switching is triggered, it would be cool if it was via hotkey or something.

The input switching can be set to any of the inputs but limited to two computers total as you mentioned. I have mine (U3415W) set up for my work laptop and my gaming PC and it works well.

And it does do Picture by Picture and Picture in Picture.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

priznat posted:

Does it support keyboard hotkey (some KVMs let you switch by hitting scroll lock on the connected keyboard) or is it a button on the monitor?

Seriously considering a 3415 or 3417 but I was going to wait til I get a newer video card, my GTX970 probably wouldn't do the native resolution for games that great.

Out of the box it doesn't support keyboard hotkeys - I think Dell has software for the U3415W for window management and that might have more options but I've never installed it.

In the OSD settings you can set which inputs control either of the two upstream USB ports. There is a option in the settings to toggle the USB when using PBP too but I don't really use the PBP option.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

I just use the option that ties each usb to a video in and switches usb when I switch the video in. That wouldn't go for pbp but is great for other uses.

Yeah, that's how I have mine set up, but just wanted to give some info on how PBP would be done if the two pictures are the two sources set up to use the USB hub.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Wait really? That's new, the 34UM95 I had only had one USB upstream and one thunderbolt so if you wanted a different switch you were out of luck.
I think it does have the one USB upstream still, it's just that any devices connected via Thunderbolt can see any attached USB hardware, so it acted like a KVM of sorts.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A Costco here in Phoenix has them for this price also.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I ended up picking up a XB271HU from Costco at the clearance price; mine had a placard in it indicating that it has a standard 3-year warranty, plus an additional year provided (because of Costco?). So 4 years isn't too shabby.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

the good fax machine posted:

Did you get the $500 clearance price, or the price that is half of that? The one nearest me has sold out of them, but drat if all this talk of finding them at $250 doesn't have me seriously considering driving across town to possibly pick up another one.

Yeah, I found it for $499 clearance. Some Costcos around Phoenix apparently had it down to $399 boxed, but I couldn't find it anywhere for that low so settled on the last remaining one at $499 near me. It's been great so far.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Variable_H posted:

Bought directly from Dell, their return policy seems pretty straight forward with no hoops to jump through, so I'm content with that. I guess we'll see if I can handle a TN screen after years of IPS usage!

It's probably easier too if you don't have a second monitor next to it that's also IPS. I had the S2716DG and it was a good monitor but having it next to my U3415W made me constantly see the color difference to where I sold it to a friend and picked up one of the Costco Predators.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I have the Dell U3415W and it really is a great monitor. I also had a S2716DG and "upgraded" to a Acer XB 271HU when Costco had them on clearance that now sits beside the U3415W and gaming-wise, it is nice how silky smooth it is, but I find the U3415W great for other games that can take advantage of the resolution (WoW, Civ VI, etc.) without it really bothering me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Col.Kiwi posted:

Also overwatch is a game where you'll really notice high refresh rate, and a game where a gtx 1060 can actually do high fps. So yeah you'll probably be happy with it

Yeah, I was playing Overwatch (in Windows via Bootcamp) on a classic Mac Pro with a 980, Overwatch on maximum settings (if I recall), on the S2716DG, and getting 110s - 120s fps. That's including the fact that the Mac Pro has a X5690 (so top-of-the-line Nehalem that can go into it, but still several years old at this point), and that my GPU is running gat PCIe 1.0 x16 since only GPUs with Mac-supporting EFI can run at PCIe 2.0 x16 in Windows on the Mac Pro. It's a fairly small performance hit, but still there.

So any newer system with a 1060 should see at least that, if not a good bit higher.

(For the record I also have a i7-4770K system with a 780 in it that would run it a bit worse but also still get around 90s - 100s fps. I was on a kick of trying to see if my Mac Pro could be used for gaming also and such).