Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

i used haskell for one of these and i didn't even receive a courtesy 'thanks but we've decided to go in a different direction' email

One company sent me a "pre-screening" form once. Among various questions (some normal, some quite weird), there was this nugget: "What was the most esoteric programming language you ever used?". And I had no idea what to write since I've never used Brainfuck, nor Haskell (other than a hello world) and I don't think Go,Groovy,Scala qualify. Maybe FoxPro would? But I haven't touch that since 1995. They never called back, so I guess I wasn't cool enough for them.

*Now that I think about it it may have not been "esoteric" as the exact word used, but some synonym. It's been a few years since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Mine would be 'the one I invented myself, here's the GitHub url for the compiler' :smuggo:

Heh, ya know what, that's a great idea, I should write one too. Been 20 years since last i wrote a pascal-like compiler, and 5 or so since I messed with antlr or bison generated parsers. As a lovely fun personal project it just may work. And make it run on an esoteric architecture (which I'll invent) and run it in qemu only until it catches on and it'll become more popular than ARM itself. Yeah, that should do it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'd highlight the skills first as well. Wrote a "hello world" in BrainFuck? Goes in there. CSS, HTML, javascript, whatever: expert in. Touched a Mac once? "Demonstrated ability to manage ..."
One-two pages resumes are the best if you can keep them that short (I have 20 years experience in the industry, gently caress you, my resume is 5 pages long and I won't delete a thing. skills at the top though since nobody reads more than 5 lines).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Skandranon posted:

Literally anything else. VBScript hosting a webserver inside of an Excel Spreadsheet would be preferable.

VBScript? Now that's taking it too far.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Shouldn't that be 2000 rather than 1000? Just based on 40 hours a week and 50 working weeks per year.

The idea is that odds are that you won't be working for parts of the year. Whatever percentage you will be actually working will be offset by downtimes, time spend hunting for opportunities, etc. There's a fair amount of overhead to account for, so 1000 is a reasonable number. Now, if you will get a 5 year contract, maybe you can reduce your hourly rate by some amount.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If the civilization ends, all but 3 computers die and those 3 computers can only be programmed using either PHP, javascript or VB, shoveling pig poo poo on a farm is a much more appealing alternative.

That being said, there are times where PHP is the obvious correct choice:
- When that choice was made for you decades ago
- It is decades ago, because you just woke up from a coma

Javascript is never the correct choice, and VB ... that pig poo poo is certainly looking more and more attractive.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

What, if any, is the standard for companies hiring interns with respect to the potential for full time work afterwards? My boss wants to start hiring interns over the summer to get some extra work done cheap, but he knows 100% that there isn't going to be any full time positions available for these kids if they do well. The kind of work they'll be doing is legitimate for a CS internship and they'll get some resume bullet points that'll look good out of it. I feel like that's just a massive tease though -- I'd be pretty pissed if I spent my summer internship at a company that secretly had no intent of hiring me from the start, am I just a bleeding heart liberal?

Personally I see internships as an investment. You don't hire them because you want work done for cheap, you hire them because they may become employees later and you are willing to invest your company's/employees time to train them in that regard. You don't get interns because you can't afford something better, you get interns because you can afford the expense. Depending how "green" they are, the work that they do actually manage to produce can be just throwaway. For true development work (as opposed to data entry or other menial tasks) and to not get work from them that will be thrown away later or fantastically hard to maintain there will be serious time investment required from the full time developers. But yes, there are exceptions, where the intern is so knowledgeable and experienced that the full-timers can learn something from him/her. Probably around the same odds as winning the lottery on that one.

However, yes, a lot (most?) of the companies out there get interns only to get work done for cheap. Most of them get quite disappointed when the work produced is complete garbage and either has to be thrown away or a lot of time has to be spent to maintain it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

I understand all of this logic.

I'm specifically wondering about the perspective of hiring an intern without the intent of a full-time position with regards to not being a lovely employer.

I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I believe that internship is a great way to get experience in as many companies as possible to see the Googles/Facebooks and the mom&pop shops how they do business.

Portland Sucks posted:

It's on my boss if he wants to hire cheap labor and be disappointed.

That's probably gonna be on you since you will probably have to fix/maintain that poo poo. The boss only wants another checkbox on a form and will think you're an idiot that it takes you a week to put it in.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

That's fine. I don't really care "what" work I'm doing between the hours I'm there. Cleaning up someone else's mess or working on my own project is still just sitting in a chair and typing away at the end of the day.

Wow, you're lucky. I have taught myself to not get emotionally involved in the work that I'm doing, but the "what" part still gets to me. If the code/application I'm working on is poo poo I am not happy nor productive. Maybe that's why I still hate idiocies like the current javascript ecosystem. Frontend web development is loving torture, luckily i don't do it that much. I have no idea how to put myself into a mental state where the "what" is irrelevant.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

Good pair of sound cancelling headphones and lots of good music helps.

I'm pretty internally motivated though, and by internally motivated I mean if you pay me well I'll do my best work for the sake of getting paid well regardless of the project. Working on someone else's project, regardless of the project, is all the same to me. When it's 4:15pm I'm loving out of there, it takes me 15 minutes to get back to my car from my office. No I'm not coming to your 4pm meeting.

Oh, I do the work. But if you keep me on a poo poo project (lovely codebase) where I can clearly see that no brain cells have been used in the making of said project ... i''m out to greener pastures. Music, alcohol, yoga, my own personal projects ... nothing helps to keep me there. I don't have the patience anymore to just "deal with it".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Grump posted:

Finally getting transitioned to development from support and working on my first app

Too bad it's too little too late and I'm leaving soon

I assume you're going to development, right?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Blockchain.

Which reminds me: Wasn't IBM writing some banking ledger software that would take advantage of the blockchain to have immutable and traceable transactions? Anything come out of it? I always thought that this would be a great way to use the technology, not the lovely bitcoin mining. Storing historical data seems perfect for it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ither posted:

How do you guys stay abreast of the latest trends or new frameworks/technologies in the industry?

I have a job now, but I don't want to be complacent.

Read, learn, do.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CPColin posted:

Interviewer: "Why are you thinking about leaving your current job?"
Me: "Well, I'm looking for a faster pace and a more collaborative development environment. They kind of stuck me in an office, off in a corner, working on a separate backlog from the rest of the team, and I miss the collaboration."
(later)
Interviewer: "Oh, I forgot! One of the perks of the job is it comes with a private office!"
Me: *attempts to sigh without the mic picking it up*

Private offices more often than not encourage collaboration while providing a private space when needed. You can be in an open-office like scenario and still not have to talk with anyone, or collaborate on anything. Private offices are the best and the most expensive.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CPColin posted:

Yeah, I'm planning to ask who is going to be my support when I'm doing Java development. Like, whom I can ask about the architecture, standards, etc. If they say, "You're it!" then there's a problem.

I'd see it as a challenge. In the end, you're gonna make the standards and probably the architecture. But ask, at least you know what they're all about and then you can make an informed decision.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I didn't say they shouldn't be there. I certainly wouldn't add a section for non-Turing complete languages. That'd be even more irritating.

Depending on the positions I was applying for I might consider leaving them off though. For some positions saying you know html is like saying you know how to type.

You'd be surprised how clueless HR can be. Some (most?) just look for keywords and if you don't hit a certain percentage, they just throw your resume away. That, of course, doesn't mean that the company itself is bad, just that the cerberus watching the gates to the company is an idiot.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shirec posted:

edit edit: now my boss is using his access to health care systems to look up patient data and because we service local people, found one of my co-workers wives and is laughing about her having a UTI.

If that is not illegal in the US it should be. Under the penalty of "we're putting you in a hole and we're throwing away the key".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Never heard of debounce - like function in my life. I can see it being useful, but I never used it, never seen it in any tutorial anywhere, and really never heard of it. I have no idea if I could whip up an implementation (going blind) in an interview. It is, however, perfect for someone who really loves the front-end, lives and breathes javascript and has written 100 libraries that are featured in the npm repository. Someone who, when he/she has a bad day can destroy the builds of half the planet.

For anyone else, I'd say ... meh ...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Keetron posted:

You are talking about left-pad or did this happen more often?

The one thing that struck me as odd was that npm restored left-pad without the author having a say in this. The other thing that stuck out was the lovely ecosystem npm is.

It did just happen a week or so ago, some other snafu from the "professionals" at npm. Not the same cause as left-pad but the same effect. I am sure the year won't be over without yet another major issue coming up.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Regardless of npm, debounce is a thing present in GUI development for I'd guess decades.

The concept yes, in any UI that reacts to changes of the data model (does a "push" instead of "poll"). I have personally used the concept in whatever UI desktop applications I have written over the years. Not in javascript and was not aware of it being called "debounce".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Well, that and other things, it's not like mainframes are COBOL specific.

As the other guy mentioned, will they still be running when this guy is in his 50s and pigeonholed? Maaaaybe but also maybe not. At some point it will actually be a dead skill.

One can do a lot worse than COBOL

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm an electrician who wrote a powershell script on my own initiative that will save several hours of engineer and management labor per day. How do I turn that into money?

If you wrote the script while on the job that is not your script, your employer owns it. You save/make the company money, that's your job. If you suspect that other companies may need such a thing, you can quit your job, improve (change completely) your script and sell it.

Best of luck.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

geeves posted:

I just applied for CTO. Let's see what happens.

What if they hire you? What then? Have you thought of that? Jeez, kids these days ...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Deki posted:

The phone interview I had today for a place in Des Moines went decently until the end where the manager on the other end got pretty snippy about my minimum salary expectation being 65k.

Is that really all that high for someone with a CS bachelors and internship experience, even for an entry level job in a low cost of living area? The only other places that I've had interviews with that have talked about salary were at least 75k, and they've all been in that region of the country.

No. However, there are places that will balk at these numbers. Get what you can (ultimately you do need some kind of a job), but 65k even in a low cost area is not much. 80k would be quite a bit though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Why would you purposely hamstring yourself in a market as hard to find a great job in as tech?

Because great jobs in tech are (for some people) a dime a dozen, hanging from every tree?

NeekBerm posted:

So all that resume advice I got worked and now I'm swimming in tech interviews. The one I have in front of me right now is five questions, and it's due in one week. So, for all those in the know:

1. How long and in-depth should these questions be? I got a weird question about a mysterious bitwise operator function that I gave a page-long response to it. I could shorten it down a bit, but I think it gives some insight into how I solve coding problems.

2. Does it matter if I turn it in right away? I could get it done tonight, but I kinda wanna take my time and wait a few days.

How long or short the interviewer wants the answer to be? That's only for him/her to decide. You do your best, make a judgment call on ho much or how little to say. My weird questions that I remember from a company form was: "Name the most obscure programming language your worked with (even if only as a hobby)". Jesus guys, really? "Go" I guess since the things I tried in scala and haskell cannot really count. Weird (and no, they didn't reply any further).

Take your time, don't rush. If you have a deadline, there's no reason to be done too early before said deadline. It's also weekend now and I can tell you nobody will read anything. Sunday night is just as good of a time.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shirec posted:

So I'm reviewing the interview questions listed on glassdoor (apparently this company does super good interviews!) and it looks like a common question is "What is your least favorite part about working for your previous employer?"

I already am musing upon the correct answer for why I'm looking for a new job, but should I even hint at at what a nightmare my current place is or keep it super diplomatic? I kind of guffawed out loud while reading it and considering what I could say

The level of joy that fills my heart when I imagine turning in my 2 weeks at my current job approaches indescribable. If I could bottle and share it, it'd bring world peace.

Always be super-diplomatic. Looking for new opportunities/challenges, all that bullshit, never bad-mouth former employers, not in an interview. At a beer with the new colleagues after you got hired? Sure, knock yourself out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

edit: I think that another takeaway from this is that the number of stuff you have in your past experience appears to show up on their thing, so maybe it's best to flood it with stuff that isn't necessarily with working at a company (i.e. personal projects) because the stuff you actually put in the Projects section of your LinkedIn profile doesn't show up anywhere on there.

What does it show in the Current and Past sections? Current and Past positions? Short description or just title and company? That's interesting info, thanks.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
500 connections? Really? I cannot get that without lovely recruiters as connections and I avoid them (the connection) like the plague. I am always weary of those 500+ people as to me they standout as liers (though I'm sure there are people who genuinely worked with that many people).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mniot posted:

Like, if someone accepts every recruiter-invitation they're a liar??
Yes, of course.
My naive idea was that a connection is a former work colleague (of some sort). Meet at a conference counts as well. A recruiter, who found me by searching for X on google/linkedin/whatever doesn't count. Can't count. It is not a connection. If I find Bill Gates' profile, and he somehow accepts my connection invitation, can that count? I never did anything with the guy. So, "I know/worked with that person" part of the connection is basically just a lie.
And no, I do not have a facebook account, but i did hear that the same "mechanism" was prevalent there as well: people who one barely heard of or knew who they were they instantly became "friends".
And this weakens the meaning of the linkedin "connection" and of the facebook "friend" to the point of ... well, zero. The fact that you are connected to X should mean something. The truth is that it means nothing. So, imagine my shock when Love Stole the Day said that one should have 500+ connections. But they have zero value!!!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Shirec posted:

You’re being very harsh over someone sharing their experience. I think that there is room for LinkedIn to be a valuable tool for some, and it depends on what you put in.

I personally think like Mniot, that it’s useful for seeing a network and how people may know each other.

edit: Also I’m pretty sure Love said that a course recommended that, Love made no such claims

Uh oh, sorry, yes of course he said the course made that recommendation. I did not mean to imply that I think that he himself thinks that way. My beef is with the fact that, like the course, a lot of people would agree with that opinion, people with hiring decision. At the end of the day, I assume that the course didn't pull that idea/number out of their rear end (maybe they did) and that they have some data/research to back that assertion. And that is probably true. And that is unfortunate, since it values quantity over quality. Getting 500+ connections on linkedin is trivial. Should I? Should we? Should anyone? Should that matter?

In my opinion the number should not matter at all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Grump posted:

code ...

Aha, here's a spot where it would be important to test obj.key1 === undefined and not feel that we want to become a compiler. Of course, in a normal language this would have been just maps and arrays, but we live with what we have.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Also, if you take the argument of "you don't need to know it if you can google it and learn it in 15 mins" to it's furthest conclusion, it'd mean that human beings would basically not need to know much of anything, other than how to google things.

To be fair, knowing where to look for answers is a skill in and of itself.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bath Tubs posted:

Applied to an entry level Java dev job in North Dakota that I am 100% gonna accept if I get offered the position.

Am I dumb for assuming that I probably will not be competing with many other people for this job that is asking them to move to a town of 6,000 people to work as a programmer? I graduated with a CS degree last year and this is essentially the exact type of entry level job I've been looking for.

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that there is no way other people who have a similar background to me are trying to get this job as well because everywhere else in the country has a higher average pay and is a more interesting place to live than the middle of no where. But i'm driving myself crazy thinking that way because it's dumb to assume you will get a job just because you are qualified and feel like you are the only one who would actually want the job. I sent an email to their recruiter telling them that I applied and asked for more information on the details surrounding the job so hopefully that gets the ball rolling in the right direction.

If it's your "foot in the door" for bigger and better things is not a waste of time to get that job (assuming that moving there is not a big issue either, don't have wife/kids, etc.). Get some experience and apply to other positions in the meantime.
But Bruegels Fuckbooks is right by saying that in a tech hub there is more opportunity even with more competition.

At the end of the day there is only one thing that you can definitely do wrong: take the job in North Dakota and retire from it. Get complacent and 30 years from now you'll be that dinosaur that we all love to hate.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

Maintaining a sharp competitive edge in the tech world doesn't have to be the measure of your worth as a person.

Actually it does. Because even in North Dakota new projects are being started to solve some new problem for the company. If today you would still be solving company's problems with windows 98 while taking extraordinary measures to keep the drat thing up for more than a day without a blue screen, you are costing the company more than you produce. If you continually refuse to acknowledge (at least) that there are new and potentially better ways of solving the problems that you have you become a liability and not an asset. And even the nice people in North Dakota are not going to keep you long if you're not making any money for them.

So yes, you do need to maintain a sharp competitive edge in the world or else risk being pushed aside at the earliest opportunity.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

I feel like you need a Good Will Hunting "it's not your fault moment."

You are more than your job.

Exactly. Wasting time at work because i'm too incompetent to solve the problem in 10 minutes like it should have been is no way to go through life son. Staying on top of technology (reasonably) is not a full time job (except javascript, but gently caress javascript) and it allows you to have more time for things that matter.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Portland Sucks posted:

Right, you're being intentionally obtuse.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Don't go there.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gildiss posted:

So you are advocating working outside of work so you can do more work at work?

So you can do less. Then entire point of our entire lives is to do the things we don't like so that we have the time and resources for things that we do like. By becoming complacent, by never learning anything new by not "staying on top of technology" you are creating work for yourself later. What could have taken you 10 minutes with this new technology, it now takes you an hour and instead of going home to your wife and kids you are stuck at work, because deadlines are still deadlines. Or worse, that fancy new kid comes alone and does the same work faster, better and cheaper than you and you get fired. And now instead of being home at 5pm you are hunting jobs 16 hours a day and wonder why nobody is hiring someone with the body and the mind from the the cretaceous period.

You don't have to do this poo poo 24 hours a day (what Portland Sucks absolute statement was). You just need to not remain behind, so behind that you are better replaced than retrained.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gildiss posted:

I do all of that at work, during the hours I get paid to do that.
And those arguments seem extreme.
Have you ever seen that happen? Outside of someone that was simply incompetent?
Because I've seen incompetent people get promoted out of being individual contributors into incompetent tech leads and then into incompetent architects.

Nobody said to improve yourself outside of 9-5 if you can. Where the gently caress did you get that idea? But improve yourself. Work on your skills and expand them. Because when you don't, in 30 years even the nice people of North Dakota will not want to keep you on.The entire advice is: Don't go to North Dakota thinking that you can sleep your way through life. They're not that friendly even there. And if today knowing Javscript and Java means that you can land a job pretty much anywhere it doesn't mean that it will still be true 30 years from now. Maybe it will , maybe it won't.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gildiss posted:

And who said going to North Dakota, despite being the only thing that they grow there, turns people into rocks?
Who is this argument you are making against?

Oh, so you're just jumping in the middle of a conversation after listening to half a sentence and think you have anything to contribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Any major video game company in the united states.

Based on the reputation video game companies have in terms of hours and how they treat their employees, only the most hard-core video game programmers must want to work for one.