Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Helicity posted:

we'll have to agree to disagree if you think fluff is a good thing to recommend.

Fantastic good faith reading of "you can't possibly know the hiring practices across a 100k person company" but maybe you could namedrop a C-level chum? Would really put us over the top here, directors aren't so impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Helicity posted:

It seems to me like you hold the belief that some degree of fluff is necessary, you dismiss my anecdotal evidence that fluff can potentially work against you at several orgs all over the spectrum of size, and question my authority to speak about those experiences.

What is your actual disagreement here?
Any one-size-fits-all solution purporting to seamlessly represent 100k+ folks is asinine at best and dangerously misleading at worst. Furthermore, namedropping how Directors consider roles may not be as appropriate as you think to the "Newbie" thread and does not represent the actual gauntlet that fresh RCG's and bootcamp graduates have to run.

By boiling it down to "fluff," and 100% recommending against it, is bad blanket advice for newbies. There's a lot of room to tailor any given resume for various roles. Say you're applying to a FE role and backend role, you could take the same experience and fluff it in either direction. Highlighting the technical heavy lifting in a project vs. the client impact or soft skills in communicating that effort to stakeholders. I think that FE/BE are pretty close and there's still a delta, I can't imagine a cookie cutter resume aiming at both QA or technical marketing is getting there without the slightest bit of prose.

And, as rock-solid and firm as I consider "anecdotal evidence that fluff can potentially work against you," does that even apply to all methods of resume presentation? In my personal job searches I have submitted different resume styles to black-hole portals (assuming a keyword search) and personal introductions.

But sure, "ALL FLUFF BAD, I ASK DIRECTOR" is totally valid. Strip those resumes bare, ideally a ticket count per language.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Private Speech posted:

Would people say that having an up-to-date LinkedIn is essential? I'm not entirely comfortable with putting everything on my CV to be publicly visible, but from what everyone is saying it seems like the main avenue to getting decent offers these days.

What sort of things are private? You don't have to spill company secrets, but you should be able to describe your contributions without running afoul of your employer. In the absolute worst case look at the hiring criteria for your current position, all of that is public information right now.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Kyth posted:

You will have a very very long career.
how dreadful

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mmm11105 posted:

if they want me now, I don't see why they wouldn't want me in a few years

oh for sure

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mmm11105 posted:

Spoke with the tech manager there, he said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't be willing offer me a position again in a couple of years if I want to go elsewhere in the meantime, unless something happens that makes them cut hiring.
ahahahaha... because we told you it wouldn't happen? you thought the best way to suss this one out was... ask the hiring manager directly? and put 100% full faith in their response?

jesus take a job, any job, before they figure you out

just, you know, ask to meet the person who turned them down and hopped right on board after fuckign around abroad with a low-rent outfit for a few years, should be easy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

zero to dev in 6 months is basically usually a fib, if you investigate it's like, "i was an engineer and did scripting previously" or "i did vba scripts" or somethin like that

ModeSix posted:

I've never worked in any sort of professional capacity in development, but I've been playing with code for around 20 years at this point.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ModeSix posted:

I don't see your point, but this guy is just being overly negative to other people.
And? A lot of newbies think they're god's gift and need a realignment with reality, negative posting is fine. In particular, Vincent Valentine's framing of the "zero-to-dev" was neutral at best and Bob's just making clear that in most cases it's a fiction and should be viewed negatively. He didn't insult Vincent or anyone else as far as I can tell?

Got any substantive complaints about something Bob's, you know, actually posted instead of vague baseless implications of negativity towards unspecified posters?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Love Stole the Day posted:

it's too bad he can't apply that same discretion to his posts when venturing outside of YOSPOS.
it sounds like a senior dev did a private code review at your request entirely for your benefit and your response is... making GBS threads on their decorum?

gl on the next one

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Fool posted:

Sorry, but guy was pretty dickish considering this is the help newbies get jobs thread.
had more words here but LSTD has been posting in this "newbie" thread for 3 years, at this point they're sucking up resources and effort that could benefit actual newbies

in conclusion

Flat Daddy posted:

if this is your honest to god summary of my review then no wonder you're sending out ten thousand resumes and getting nothing back dude

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CPColin posted:

If you honestly think where this conversation started counts as "candid feedback," (see one post up) then I'm not sure what to tell you.
If you have problems with the review content that Flat Daddy PM'd, you should definitely be more clear. It looks like legit 'candid feedback'. You know how people always whinge on about how they don't get feedback from rejections? That's it. That's the feedback people want. It's finally been provided for someone. It starts with "ok heres a much more detailed breakdown than you'll ever get from your interviewer" if you somehow missed it.

Granted, I don't think "don't post example code that throws a shitload of linter warnings right out the gate" is why you need a senior dev around, but LSTD is starting from the bottom, again.

CPColin posted:

People who don't want to post can always, you know, not post.
senior devs not posting is precisely the threat model, thank u for noticing. if y'all are content to watch this thread descend to the dregs consoling each other after rejections be my guest? i am outlining exactly how you're letting one resource-sucking goon in a well poison it for everyone else.

i can't loving believe the gall it would take to boil down Flat Daddy's review to "lol bad comments" after 3 goddamn years of posting here begging for help

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Vincent Valentine posted:

What's the title for someone who writes code for a terrible codebase where the only solution product management gives enough time for is an equally terrible solution because they want everything done fast contributing to an exponentially increasing sense of self loathing as you see bad code and go "oh yeah that's me I did that"?

sucker

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't want you to do that (some places explicitly warn against it) because they're tracking all your typing and judging how you're tackling the problem.

god i can't imagine getting a ttyrec and having it inform my decision about a candidate

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

downout posted:

For reference we had a candidate for a senior position that provided us with some code. Looking it over it was clear he wasn't qualified for a senior position; maybe mid level at best. But he had something to show, and real candidates need to have that. Something that compiles and does something even if basic.

what is the point of this anecdote

the provided code is what prevented the candidate from getting the job

and, back to the original context, if you went to a bootcamp put it on your resume do not attempt self taught stolen valor

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Anne Bonny posted:

I'm really big on making sure that everything is organized, documented, readable, flexible, reusable, maintainable, extendable and I polish goddamit as if someone else were going to be working on my projects with me. Clean design is very important to me.

:rolleyes:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
one emoji that’s not unfettered praise?!?!! wow guess id better switch industries

not everything deserves documentation, abstraction, extensibility. some poo poo you write to throw away, do one pass of analysis, do one silly thing well, or otherwise not go down in the annals of software engineering history. im very sorry if gently poking fun at your ignorance of this fact on a shitposting forum has caused you to completely change careers to avoid assholes. good luck!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
y’all if you want to humor every ridiculous preconception someone outside the industry has and wait for reality to crash thru in the form of rejection from interviews, be my guest, but I think it’s doing them a disservice

it’s a nice line but tack on “but I understand if practical dev work doesn’t have space for all that so I hope to learn where more seasoned folks would cut corners and still maintain a minimum of headaches”

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rt4 posted:

Your colleague is right about internships and the people at that startup are probably dumb assholes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im really looking forward to the tortured explanation of why onboarding docs can't possibly exist and setting up a github login must be explained from scratch every single time

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
given the relative lag of academia wrt languages, any (D)VCS coursework would be a bored grad student listing off RCS commands, a final exam entirely on mercurial, and you'd still have to ramp them up on git

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MetaJew posted:

Jumping into this thread real quick: I have a interview tomorrow for a digital IC/RTL design position. At a couple of the places I've interviewed, they have had me meeting with either someone from HR or the recruiter at the very end of the day.

What is the purpose of this meeting? I've interviewed with this company before, and as I recall, the recruiter (same guy I'm talking to this time) basically asked what I thought of the company, team, etc. It felt like small talk.

Other than expressing my enthusiasm for joining the team, and maybe a question or two about benefits, culture, etc. am I supposed to ask or say anything else here?

They’re trying to pump you for salary info after the technical sessions have drained you. Apply to positions in Cali or MA (?) where it’s illegal to ask your prior salary. And get the range of the position prior to being live on the spot.

personally, I lean into the awkwardness. I’m awkward all the time, any discomfort at negotiation I just channel that inner dweeb who’s mildly curious about the question but doesn’t see the point in answering. “Oh, I just want to work on Interesting Problems, I’m sure you’ve done your research and the compensation is competitive for the market and skill set”

HR people spend a shitload of time having this conversation. They are better practiced, they have more information, they will play you if you don’t prep. It doesn’t matter if you sit there in silence for 5 minutes instead of saying a number. Do a dry run with a colleague friend or family member where they just keep asking you for a number.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Companies lay off the employees they value the least. It’s rational to think that if you get laid off you weren’t pulling your weight.
lol

no

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pope Hilarius posted:

Should I just split the difference and ask for like $75k?
gently caress no. what? how'd you even
no
ask for more, let them bump you down

Jose Valasquez posted:

They were paying more than ~$96k to the company you contract for, so why ask for less than $96k?
not to mention the overhead of communicating with the intermediary around. 96k is your baseline

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
That sounds backwards to me. How do you find problems that fit your languages feature set?

Python's great as a stepping stone up from cmd line grep/sed/awk lines into something slightly more formal. Are you ever looking at a text-munging problem and dreaming up the type signatures instead of just.. like.. bashing the letters around?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What non-developer position is someone applying to that "knows C"?

my extremely charitable read would be a PM attempting to say "managing a project that includes C coders isn't all that different from one that includes C# coders"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cynicus posted:

I recall way back in either this thread or the general development thread, somebody had posted this amazing collection of all kinds of questions to ask during a developer interview from the perspective of a developer yourself. it contained some personal favourite questions like "what does a bad day at [company] look like?". does anyone know which site I mean?

there's a green copy of them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's sorta common, in my experience, for startups to think they've got HOT loving poo poo coming through, oh my god you've never seen code like this.

Oblivious to the fact that market timing is going to make or break 90% of them before any human decision tipped their fate, they obsess over made up problems instead.