Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cirosan posted:

So here's my first question: Would someone more skilled with FNVEdit be able to tell me if the patch merging would be a viable solution?
Yes and it is really simple. Just take each individual plugin and copy-as-override its content into your new merged plugin.
It only gets tricky if individual plugins touch the same content. then you actually have to pay attention to what you're doing and carefully merge things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Is there a mod that adds an inventory item thats lets you repair poo poo? Not like weapon repair kits, but something thats more permanent and not one use.
I suppose you could take the regular weapon repair kit (or this one) and have one spawn in your inventory every time you use it.
Alternatively, I could whip something up for you that prevents items from degrading with use.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 14, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

Uh oh, I have another problem. My text is huge suddenly and I see no way to fix it in the settings
Did you install an UI mod?
Fonts are handled through the .ini files. So you either forgot a step in the installation process (.ini editting), or your changes were overwritten by the New Vegas Launcher.

The game itself reads from the .ini file from the My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV directory. But any time you boot the New Vegas Launcher it will override that .ini with that of the game's instal directory.
Either simply don't use the New Vegas Launcher, or be sure to edit the .ini in both directories.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Alternatively, I wonder if you could fake it out by creating dummy .esm files named after the masters you're missing. Hmmm...
Yes, doing that will allow FNVEdit to load. But you can't just remove the masters from the file header of Jsawyer mod and call it a day. You'll need copy the content that you want into a new mod.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So FOMM's TESSnip, then?
No. You don't just need to copy-paste whole records, you'll also need to some editting and TESSnip doesn't allow you to do that as far as I know.
For example JSawyer mod changes the metal armour's agility penatly to a penalty to sneak. It added a new base effect to do this.
If you just copy the metal armor's object effect, its entry will try to refer back to Jsawyer mod for the sneak-penalty base effect. So what you need to do is copy the base effect to your new mod. Then change object effect's entry to refer to your new base effect and then copy it over.

I may be making this sound more complex or difficult then it is. It really is simple to do in FNVEdit, if a bit tedious and time comsuming.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 18, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, I think we've misunderstood each other. I know you wouldn't be able to do everything in TESSnip, but wouldn't you still need to scrub the new mod of dependencies on missing masters, even if you copied JSawyer.esp data over to a new mod? Or is that not the case?
No. You go over each entry individually and only copy those that you want to keep. See an entry that tries to touch DLC you don't own? Don't copy it.

SplitSoul's method sounds simpler and faster then mine though. I didn't even know TESSnip could do that.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 18, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

Is there a mod that allows you to recruit 2 human or 2 non-human companions? Further, is there a reason why it's not like that in the first place?
You can find several of them on the nexus.
As for why: Game balance for one. If you have a big, well-equiped group pretty much all of the game's combat encounters become trivial. I did a run with Cass, Veronica, Rex & ED-E and found that more often then not the enemies were dead before I even noticed them. That and in tight spaces they're way more likely to get in your way and become a nuisance.
So unless you feel like sitting back and doing nothing, I wouldn't drag every single companion along.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46302
Anybody have any experience with this? Just an .ini supposedly tweaked to take advantage of quadcore systems and other high performance stuff.
The multithreading tweaks won't increase performance. That said, they aren't completely useless. Enabeling some of them fixed some freezing issues on my system then. Then again, some people reported those tweaks actually caused freezing.
The increased buffersizes can help performance if you have the memory to support it. But again: increasing various buffersizes can cause crashing & freezing. GameBryo!

No ammount of .ini tweaking can enable dx10/11 feature seeing as the engine doesn't have any. But I suppose the increased draw distances can make the game look nicer.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Oh, sorry. Misunderstood your question.

Ariong posted:

Unrelated, is there a way to force NPCs to equip items in their inventory? Because I don't see why this game is at all worth playing if my posse can't wear sunglasses.
Companions will generally equip any armour in their inventory that has the highest DT and fits in an open slot. So as long as they aren't wearing any armor with DT that takes up the eyeglasses slot, they should automatically equip sunglasses.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mosnar posted:

Having a horrible and aggrevating CTD issue on my 6th? 7th? playthrough. ANy time I access a vendor list (Gun Runners, Travelling Merchants) or the weapons list in my Pip Boy - instant CTD.
Try starting a new game and see if the crash happens.
If not, then it could be a bugged item in your inventory. Make a solid save, drop all items you can and pick stuff up one by one and see if the crash happens. Note that some mods add items to your inventory that are flagged to be undroppable.
If the crash still happens with a new save; Disable one of your mods, test for the crash with a new game. Repeat until you've found your culprit.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm curious if it's possible to make an energy weapon crit cause a body to explode into gibs rather than do the disintegrate effect.
Laser weapens have the LaserDisintegrationFXSpell effect under their critical hit data. I'm guessing that if you remove that the disintegrate won't happen.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nevets posted:

Can you combine death effects? Seeing someone turn bright yellow and then exploding would be neat.
Sure. Well, with some work.
I fiddled around with the laser's crit effect out of curiosity and it just overrides the default death stuf with via a script.

You can just rip out the delete-corpse-and-place-ash-pile nonsense completely and have the glowy vxf play on the body. However, for it to look good you'll need to do some editing to the laser's crit effect shaders and I've found little to no documention on that. So that ought to be fun.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

No idea what to do about this. No matter how I attempt to change this, the gun sits right in the crosshair area. I don't suppose anyone has any idea how to fix this, do they?
Did you set up iron sights with sightingnodes? If not:

quote:

1. Create a node named ##sightingnode.
2. Parent ##sightingnode to any piece of the weapons' geometry that does not animate. Obsidian weapon modeler Paul Fish recommends the grip/stock.
3. Align ##sightingnode, the rear sight, and the front sight along a line running parallel to the main longitudinal axis of the weapon. N.B.: The game does not use the orientation of the ##sightingnode, so don't try to line up the iron sights by adjusting that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Does anyone know if you can set up recipes so that they're only available under a certain range? I know you can set bare minimums, eg, if your repair is above 50, you have the recipe. But can you set it up so you only have a repair above 30 but below fifty?
Nope. All you can is set the minimum skill required.

Edit: There may be a workaround though.
What you could try is setting up your recipe to require a hidden perk A. Then have a script running in the background that checks the player's skill and when it reaches 30 to add perk A and then when the skill goes above 50 to remove perk A.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 19, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I suppose that could work. I'd be worried about that script eating up too many resources, though.
If you're worried about that, you could try having the script run only while the player is using the levelup menu (Begin MenuMode 1027), instead of constantly (Begin GameMode).
But a simple script like that shouldn't have any noticable effect on performance.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 20, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I want to tone it down a bit, honestly. Probably the thing I'm most interested in is the number of pellets <snip> I've poked around a couple of weapon entries in the GECK, would that be what I need to look at?
You're close.
Open up the edit menu of the weapon you want to edit. Under the "Game Data" you should see "#Projectiles". Change that entry.

It may be simpler to use FNVEdit for this. That way you don't have to worry about potential dirty edits.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sizzled Chicken posted:

I'm having a bit of a problem. I did a clean install of all my mods and the game but when I deleted The Armory FOMM had an error and crashed. Now when I try to delete it it keeps giving me the error and crashes. So I just ignored it and added in all my mods again and now I have two copies of The Armory, I can't install either, and I can't delete either. I uninstalled and reinstalled FOMM and it's still there. How do I get rid of it?
Erm, I'm not really sure I understand your problem. What is "the error" and what happens when you try to simply delete The Armory's files?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

JoeCool posted:

Does anyone know what mod could be causing red exclamation marks to fly out of peoples heads when I shoot them?
At the top of my head I can only think of EVE that includes edits to those effects.

Red exclamation marks is the game indicating it can't find a mesh or texture.
So either you have a mod that attempts to attempts to edit those blood effects, but fails miserably. Or said mod is fine, but you installed it wrong or aren't using ArchiveInvalidated.
If you're using EVE, the problem is probably EVE and not something you did wrong.

Edit:

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of body replacers, has anyone got the original body files stashed away somewhere?
You mean the unmodded, vanilla files? You can find those the meshes & textures .bsa files.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 25, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Try removing FOMM's config files.
In Windows XP they're located at: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\FOMM\
If you can't find them in whatever windows you're using just do a search for folders named FOMM.

The next time you run FOMM it wil regenerate those config files. Hopefully that will force FOMM to unbork itself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

I started using CASM a while back, and set it to cycle through like 30 saves. Over time, am I still going to have the same issue with bloat that I've gathered comes along with using the vanilla quicksave/auto-save options (but, I suppose, 30 times slower)? Should I be using as large of a number of saves as possible to slow this effect, or does CASM completely skirt this issue?
The quicksave/autosave doesn't cause bloating. Badly made mods and things that aren't cleaned up properly (ash piles for examples) do. What they can cause is crashing and save game corruption, especially on heavily modded instals.
If having 30 saves works for you, go for it. All that means is that you have more back up saves. You can experience slowdown if you keep a lot of saves though, so if you notice that delete a couple and set CASM to cycle through less.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

WMX/Jsawyer are still not compatible, correct?
JSawyer makes edits to the entries for some weapons - just like WMX, so no. You won't have crashes or anything though, you'll just loose the changes made by whichever one you load first.
Using FNVEdit, you can easily make a compatibility patch though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Is there any way to play JSawyer without the DLC? I fancy replaying FO:NV 'As the Developer intended' but I've not bought any of the DLC, and don't really fancy sinking £20 more on Steam for the privilege. I saw a forum post that someone managed it with TESnip, but I'd have no idea where to start.
Go to your Data folder grab any random plugin you have in there and copy it nine times. Rename them each to:
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm

Then dump JSawyer mod in the data folder, start up your load order manager tool of choice and set your loadorder to load FalloutNV.esm first, then your nine dummy plugins and lastly JSawyer mod.
Now go over to the nexus and grab FNVEdit, install and run it. With your dummy plugins, FNVEdit can actually load up JSawyer mod. Without it, it would complain there were missing masters.

In FNVEdit, go to the JSawyer mod plugin's fileheader and remove the master file dependences to the DLCs.
Next up, you'll want to clean the JSawyer plugin. Simplest way to determine what to delete is to just look at the first two numbers of the Form ID's (the 8 digit alphanumerical codes). For example, if your Dead Money dummy is number 01 in your loadorder, anything that tries to reference Dead Money will have a Form ID that starts with 01. So it it'll be safe to remove.

Have fun. It's a bit tedious work, but not hard. That said: You should just fork over the money for the 4 story DLCs. They're good. Or just wait for the next big steam sale when they'll practically be giving them away. The 5 itempack DLCs are kinda meh and skippable.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 9, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

I have a weird bug where if I fast travel to Novac, it's empty and the ground is littered with missing meshes. Walking there is fine. Anybody know what that's about?
That sounds like a glitch that happens when you have too many mods active. What's your loadorder?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 13, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

But only on fast travel? I've had too many mods in the past, the limit for me was 209 or so, I've since reduced it to around 150, and this is very different from what I experienced then.
Weird things happen once you start straining the engine to it's limits and while the hardcoded limit is 255 plugins, you're starting to push your luck once you go past 100 depending on the mods.
I'd try disabling 50'ish mods and see if the problem persists.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 14, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

How can I disable the first couple of slides at the very beginning of the game? I'm switching between the GECK and the game a lot and it's getting pretty obnoxious to be forced to sit through them time and time again. Those seconds start to add up, ya know.
There's no way to disable the slides completely. There are some lines in the .ini for them, but changing those does nothing.
And they are there to hide the fact that the game game needs some time to boot up. If you mash Escape, or the mouse button a bit, the game will move to the main menu once it's done loading.

Edit:
You could try this setting in the fallout.ini file.
fLoadingInitUpdateInterval=0.0000
That should make the transition between slides faster.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 15, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

DFB Random Encounters is so good. I am right before Novac and ran across a Legion/NCR firefight. Helped take out both sides, thanks to sneaking frag grenades into an NPC on each side.
That was either a vanilla encounter or something from another mod. DFB doesn't include Legion & NCR.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I meant if I were working with the Geck, and I wanted a new player to start at level 20, (maybe make it a trait or something) what would be the necessary steps to do so? Can you reward XP on an item use / with a trait? Any help would be awesome, as I'm perusing the wiki and I'm not sure where to start, (I'll probably be better when it's not 2 AM.)

If you're still learning the GECK, then dive in there and take a look at how ingestibles work.
You could make a new Base Effect that runs a small script that rewards the player 29.450 XP. Then make a new ingestible that runs said Base Effect.
Getting the ingestible onto the player can be done with a distribution quest: That's a quest that starts immediatly and only runs a script. That script that dumps the item onto the player and stops the quest.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

Edit: are there any mods to remove companion weapon degradation, Arcade just wore out and chucked the Tesla-Beaton prototype. I found a few mods in Nexus but those remove armor and weapon degradation for my character.
This gives companion infinite ammo and keeps their weapon in mint condition.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37240/

The infinite ammo can be concidered a cheat, but while I like the companions in New Vegas they regularly end up unloading clip after clip at a random rock in my experience. If you hate it, it's easily removed though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Please note that the script actually restores weapon condition to 99% instead of 100% because the engine returns very strange results when calculating with weapons whose condition is above 99.87% or so.
Out of curiosity: what exactly are these strange results?
I've heard this before, but I repair companion's weapons to 100% in my own follower tweak mod and haven't seen any problem.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cirosan posted:

No kidding. I said once before that modding Gamebryo (or at least Bethesda's iteration of it) is one of the most Kafkaesque ordeals of programming you will ever encounter.
And Skyrim's Creation Engine does its predecessor proud. I still think there's some sort of stockholm syndrom going on with modding Bethesda games. We know it's not good for us. We know it's slowly driving us insane. But we can't stop.

Thanks for the explanation.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Is the mod over all good and is there a way I can pick and choose what of these things are modified?
It's pretty good and does a decent job of improving the faces. The retextures for Mr Handys, chairs and whatnot are wholly optional. They're not even included in the main download.

I'd recommend using the lore version, instead of the recommended plugin.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 1, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

mission mojave - ultimate edition
I'd be hesitant about using that. My experience with the various unofficial patches for New Vegas has been pretty terrible: I found them to introduce new bugs or make questionable changes.
Besides, New Vegas isn't a really buggy game. Unofficial patches aren't that necesary.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there a changelog I could see somewhere? I need to see this for myself.
There is a changelog in their readme (the far right tab). But as the readme itself says: it's by no means complete.
There are a lot of completely undocumented changes. The inclusion of the old Community Patch which had no changelog at all and included a lot of completely untested "fixes" that just broke crap doesn't help.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I haven't run the game for a while, what makes the game crash on startup? Like, starts to load, then crashes.
It was running fine before now, I just hadn't played the game in a while.
Missing masters for mods is probably the most common cause.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't really pin down the issue, but the game crashes a lot and I'm not sure why...
Like maybe every 10-30 minutes?
Post your loadorder and list any mods that you may have installed outside of the loadorder (nvse plugins, etc) and maybe someone can spot a potential problem.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do I need one of those merged patch things?
Oh dear Ao yes. FNVEdit's merged patch is the easiest route, though I'd advice to make a Bashed patch with WryeBash. Both a merged and a bashed patch are the same thing: a compatiblity patch. But in my experience WryeBash produces better results then FNVEdit.

Falloutnv.esm
Why is this listed twice?
Eve
This can make energy weapon look pretty, but it's also an unstable piece of crap that causes crashing and contains rather dumb unlisted changes.
Mission Mojave
The various bugfix compilation packs for New Vegas are pretty crappy. They do fix some stuff, but also introduce new bugs, include unneeded and crappy changes and can cause instability. And frankly New Vegas isn't a terribly buggy game in the first place.
AirForceArmorT57C
I'm fairly sure Project Nevada's equipment module contains this armour.

There are some more questionable entires in your loadorder (not least of which is the combination of an anime child race and Type3 big boob clothing). But I'd start with setting up a proper compatiblity patch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 20, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Synastren posted:

What does uHud offer me that Darn + oHUD doesn't? Not trying to be a dick, but I really don't know.
Nothing. You can instal Darn, and instal oHUD on top of it. oHUD has Darn compatible files and it's fomod installer should handle it automatically (just be sure to have the .esp from Darn activated before installing oHUD).
That said, if you want to use more UI mods, or mods that have a UI component (such as Project Nevada), you will need to take a look at uHUD for compatiblity files.

Rinkles posted:

It's been a while... do weapons have set ranges of effectiveness?
Each projectile has a specific range beyond which the game removes it if it hasn't hit anything. In practice though, those ranges are so long it depends more on your view distance settings and the weapon's accuracy.
You can grab a sniper rifle, zoom in and spot a campsite miles away. But if your settings don't show any actors that far away, you can't hit anything and you're essentially beyond that rifle's effective range.
Same with accuracy: You can grab an really accurate weapon like the brush gun and plink away at a targat a good distance away. But try to do the same with a weapon like the assault carbine that doesn't know the definition of accurate and you'll be lucky if one bullet out of a thousand will hit them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

potaties posted:

-Do jsawyer, the Weapon Retexture Project, and WMX (with the Arenovalis patch) play well together? I'd be fine leaving out WMX if not. I'm mostly concerned that some of the GRA-added weapons might be hard to differentiate from the normal versions, and suddenly weapon mods might look really goofy and bad since they never got added to WRP.
I don't know about the Rextexture Project, but jsawyer contains edits to weapon entries. So it's not compatible with WMX.
It's not anything gamebreaking though, you just won't see the changes made by whichever mod is loaded first. Using FNVEdit, you can easily make them compatible.

potaties posted:

-Are Freeside Open/Strip Open pretty solidly recommended?
Bethesda's Gamebryo isn't a really efficient engine and both those mods place a lot of extra strain on the engine that can lead to stuttering, slowdown, crashing and freezing if your system can't handle it. I'd test them before comitting to a playthrough. Just place both mods in your override, move your character over to New Vegas and see if your computer starts producing smoke.
They do make those areas look a lot better so it's worth a try.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 23, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know how the Pew-Pew fires it's second shot?
Could you clarify what you mean? The pew-pew doesn't have burst fire in vanilla, it just fires one shot when you pull the trigger.
The only thing that I could find that's odd about it, is that the last shot fired from a full clip doesn't have the yellow muzzleflash'esque burst of light around the laser beam. No real clue why that is.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

How do I change the master? The .esp isn't listed and FNVEdit shouts at me for the missing master.
Copy any random .esp and rename the copy to Fallout.esm. Arrange your loadorder so that the dummy .esm is loaded before the mod you want to to edit.
After FNVEdit is done loading, under File Header replace Fallout3.esm with FalloutNV.esm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Daionus the 23rd posted:

I've got a 2.5 Ghz processor and 6 GBs of RAM. Are there any popular mods I should avoid installing?
Seconding EVE: It does make energy weapon fire look pretty, but it is crash prone and adds undocumented, dumb stuff.
Something else to avoid are the various bugfix compilations (Mission Mojave, NVEC). Yeah, they do fix some bugs & glitches. But also introduce new bugs and have some questionable changes & additions.