Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Agreed its a nightmare if that starts going around a gym, if the dude has that big of a patch he needs to be gone for a while and learn some hygiene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

origami posted:

I'd avoid rolling with scab crotch dudes, thugs, guys that toe hold your toes, dudes with misshapen crotches that can't wear cups and dudes that write passive aggressive notes to me.

I think that covers most bases for this thread.

lol.

KildarX posted:

Why not toe hold the toes? Not me, asking for a friend. :smith:

iirc the thread once got into an argument about if Toeholds were a "real" submission or only something that works on white belts, and it turned out the point of contention was that one guy thought a toe hold meant like youre actually holding the guys toes and breaking them off

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Hollandia posted:

I was looking forward to competing in BJJ next weekend - would have been my first time - but now I've kinda messed up my hand in rolls. Having trouble making a fist, can't grip hard, and if my finger gets tweaked it hurts like a bastard for a while.

Really frustrating to have to not compete due to 'my finger really kinda hurts sometimes you guys' :smith:

Next weekend like a week+ away? Its probably a mild sprain, you can rest it a bit and be fine, everyone comes in to competition with injury

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kekekela posted:

And here I'd almost forgotten FYAD was a dumb thing that exists.

lmao

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Gif of the spinning toehold escape: http://imgur.com/JTJ2SbH

That owned

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Huh?

What?

You gotta ignore Willie dee in this thread, he 'trains' grappling on the ground at a planet fitness with his buddy who sells him steroids

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont hate the belt in between white and blue belt, we informally do it at my school too. Part of the explanation ive got is theres kind of a belt inflation now where so many more athletic young guys are coming in with the aim of competing, and they jump right into training 6 days a week and treating it like a sport, watching tons of tape, and those guys in like 1 month can get to what a blue belt was 15 years ago or whatever. But you dont want to just instantly give them a blue belt and ruin the usual progression, and take away the opportunity to compete at white belt against other people who dont have much experience competing (all divisions being full of sandbaggers) etc.

So if you have to stretch white belt a bit theres gonna be a big jump between "new guy who doesnt know whats going on and/or hobbyist" and "serious white belt who isnt quite at competitive blue belt level yet" and the belt helps demarcate it. I understand not liking the aesthetics

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Grappling competitions suck

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

8 matches worth of experience is a pretty drat good return on your investment, win or lose

If i could guarantee i was gonna get destroyed 8 times every time i went to a grappling tournament i'd compete a lot more tbh. Im over paying $100 to sit at a high school gymnasium all day then get like 1 match badly judged and badly refereed against someone of wildly varying skill level

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Decades posted:

Yeah I definitely appreciate GI's format and plan on doing their event next time they're back in town. Probably another one or two competitions before then as well, but probably not til I get enough class time in to patch up some newly discovered holes.

One question I've been mulling over lately is, as a blue belt who intends on grappling for a long time to come, whether I'm better served by focusing on my strengths or weaknesses. I'm a long skinny and non-explosive guy who's probably built to pull guard, but my school is MMA flavored and even in gi classes we're highly encouraged to work takedowns, with guard pulling being pretty much banned. It's a nice way to force myself to get decent at wrestling, but I'm still pretty lame all in all. I'm willing to eat losses now if it makes me a well rounded purple or brown belt, I just hope that that's actually what's happening and that I'm not wasting time trying to force a style fundamentally incompatible with my build and temperament.

What are your goals? If youre trying to be the best grappler/fighter possible then you should work on your weak spots to the point where they arent easily exploitable and dont get in the way of your A-game. If youre doing it more to have fun & stimulation probably just focus on what comes naturally or you find more enjoyable

If you arent built for it and didnt start young and dont really have fun doing it, you arent gonna become a good wrestler. Even pro fighters you rarely see go from having bad wrestling to good wrestling mid career (im assuming you arent really young). If youre at a really takedown heavy school thats fine because youll learn to work your game around theirs and find lots of counters that work with your body type. imo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Haven't ordered the rash guards yet but I'll report on them when I do.

Two thoughts - rolling with a legit heavyweight is loving terrifying. This dude is a thick legit 265 and says he has lost weight. The feeling of, "Welp, I'm just gonna die" I had when he got to full mount but couldn't finish things was immense. Would tapping to that be tapping to terror Jo Son style?

Secondly, I've had a nagging shoulder pain since November when I started working out. I just figured it was old age. But today we were drilling and I was turtled up. When I posted my arm to prevent getting rolled, it gave out at the shoulder. I heard five ratchety cracks and yelled loud enough for the instructor to come check. If I'm in pain I normally laugh or silently inhale. I've never experienced, even in all my combat sports experience, yelling from pain.

Anyways, my shoulder is mobile but sure as gently caress sore. Is that a "Go to the doctor" moment or a "You're old" moment?

Go to sports physio if you can afford it. and if not then rest it until it doesnt hurt anymore then do some strengthening exercises for muscles around your rotator cuff/scapula

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yep those are good, and Id just add that you should start with a lighter dumbbell than you think you need to, if not no weight, until you have good awareness/body mind connection with those muscles

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This is so loving true it hurts. When I originally had my almost dying thing everyone was recommending yoga as a substitute and I just looked at them like they were high. If I can't do something, just tell me I can't. Don't try and trick me into thinking yoga beats pajama fighting. Even the first neurologist to clear me for grappling wanted me to do something "light" but said hard exercise is better than nothing.

Thank God it turned out my hospital's sports clinic had an after hours walk in spot for me. I wish I had this appointment when I was fifteen. Dude gave me an unpronounceable diagnosis that I'll provide if anyone is curious. Basically he looked at my musculature after x-rays and told me I'm way overbuilt in my chest and way under built in my back leading me to overcompensate in bad ways. He said he could tell from my posture and it explains why my posture improves with getting in shape. Some physical therapy and my joint will stop trying to escape itself.

I was horrified that I was going to be told that after three classes I was done, or something else lovely. But I'll be back in a few weeks if nothing else catches on fire.

While were on the topic, yoga/pilates/etc when done properly can be great for correcting posture, improving mobility, and giving you better awareness of your body so that these types of injuries are less likely to occur. I wouldnt write off that stuff so quickly, theres a reason why Rickson and lots of those other guys that grapple into later life all do stretching, breathing exercises, gynastica naturale and so on

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

We are officially beautiful at my gym now. We have the GQ stamp of approval.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-most-stylish-gym-in-new-york-city

Cool

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Just for the record latching onto a guy from bottom side control as hard as you can and not moving for several minutes is kind of annoying and not a good way for either of you to get better. when guys do that I have no problem cross facing them or putting jaw pressure on to make them uncomfortable enough to let go, which is seen by some as a 'dick move' but is kind of the corollary to "guy on the bottom clinging to you and refusing to let go"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for this - my bottom "game" is pretty non-existent when grappling someone significantly heavier than me. I like to hear that I could have contributed.

His demeanor (didn't introduce himself, cranked hard, having a loving blue belt with stripes) was what made me ask the question. My first few months are going to be more about conditioning and learning how to move than winning. But working bridge escapes on someone 100 pounds heavier who isn't playing along? gently caress.

Last night was eye opening in a good way. All my previous sports have built off each other. This, even though it's a combat sport, is so different when it comes to muscle memory.

Yeah its not a big deal but youll get better a lot faster if you work your game, such as it is, from those bad positions rather than stalling. Theres no shame in losing in rolling, if you dont like the position youre in (and i know you are coming off injuries etc) just tap out and start again with no ego, better use of your time than clinging to a guy from a losing position until the round ends

Also just in case youre not already doing this, i can see youre enjoying getting back into grappling, when you have these kinds of questions make sure youre running them by your instructor and higher belts/friends at the gym way before you ask people online, its good to build those relationships and get to the know the gym culture since every gym will have different answers about this stuff, also the nature of asking online is most often the people answering your obvious questions are gonna be enthusiastic white/blue belts not experts

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I'll apply some painful type stuff in these situations because I want to make it a situation where they voluntarily move, or I guess can just enjoy the suffering.

BUT I think doing poo poo around the eyes/face is a different category. Even cross facing with heavy pressure, I look for the forehead and the jaw not the nose.

Yeah me too. Or in the situation where theyre just clinging to you and you havent moved in a while, i really slowly increase the pressure so they know they have a chance to move, which is what you want anyway

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
BJJ tournaments suck

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah in house tournaments are cool. Dropping in to other schools or going to open mats to roll with people you dont know is pretty cool. Paying $100 to go wait 8 hours for your 1 match which is refereed by your opponent's dad.. i dont like it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If you believe that nobody should train that isn't a desk jockey. If you do, fair enough but I bet you're awfully boring.

You dont have to be hostile, he just means that you shouldnt feel at fault because the dude should know the risks of doing this as a hobby

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I was attempting something I read about called "snarky humour" but if it came off as mean I apologize.

Crutchin' all day has me prickly.

I feel you. Get well soon my man

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If I am to speak without any bullshit at all, I think my "journey" with combat sports might be over. It's out of my hands right now, my ankle is hosed. I keep you guys updated on those things because people, on and off the forums that I think don't give a poo poo about me ask for updates. If people ask for updates, I'll put them out and deal with people thinking I'm an idiot.

I set out to fight regardless of the logic because I thought it was a great way to figure out exactly how tough I am. I've discovered what I thought, I'm (according to others) tough as a boot and have fundamental knowledge of distance and tactics learned largely from Muay Thai and fencing. I have no desire to be the best at fighting because I'm not stupid. My health isn't awesome. But if you think my ability to overcome poo poo that kills most people isn't enough for me to keep exploring Jiu Jitsu, all I can say is you do not know me at all.

In my perfect world, I wanted to have at least one amateur fight because I think it's completely attainable. I was told by a poo poo load of doctors it wasn't, and to go to yoga. Then I almost died for unrelated reasons. I've got every reason ever to never go back to a gym and I've had them for a long time. But I think my ankle might be really hosed. I'd like to see where Danaher's body gave out because it happens, and see if it's realistic for me to continue or if I need to trick myself into biking to exercise for the sake of exercising.

P.S. If we are being straight up honest, it's bugged me how certain people, specifically in this thread, have treated me. But I realized a lot of my mental posturing was due to things I couldn't prove. (Like if the problems I perceived actually existed.) So I realized I seemed like I might be a very particular type of bullshit artist. All I can tell you is I do my best to be a honest and funny person and feel more comfortable asking this thread stupid questions. I feel like that's why it exists. If you have a fundamental problem with me, ask me about it. Odds are I'll engage you if I have the time and you might be surprised at how I reason things out.

If you are stupid enough to think posting in a loving thread on somethingawful.com about BJJ has ANY bearing on any realities outside of what exists in your head, get the gently caress over yourself. That is not directed at anyone but it is directed at the concept of someone thinking they are tough on any level for posting on a forum.

TL/DR - For personal reasons I want to read a Danaher book but I'm more concerned with his philosophy of the self than his philosophy of kimuras.

Hey man. It seems like youve had your share of bad luck and gone through a lot lately, that sucks and i hope you get back where you want to be. You overshare and post self deprecating stuff in here a lot which i think gives people the impression youre okay with them goofing on you. You shouldnt take it too personally - its just how it is Online, the people posting a in a comedy forum grappling thread are gonna tend to be more eager white and blue belts and guys who want to talk some poo poo. I dont think anyone has anything against you personally or thinks theyre tough for posting here.. its only as much of a problem as you make it

If you get a chance you might want to do a session with a sports psychologist or a injury/rehab psych consultant, it might sound like a bit much but people underestimate how big of an impact it can have mentally when you lose physical capability and are forced to give things up. I have known guys who built their lives around a sport, scholarships etc then got injured and lost everything and it puts you in a weird space. Everyones different and you just have to figure out what works for you. Good luck bro

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

My east indian mate used one while we were rolling at 80% and he got up to 180bpm. Does that seem quite high to anyone else?

Thats not particularly high, the classic formula for Max heart rate is 220 - age , in practice theres a lot of variation between individuals but its an ok guideline. If hes young it wouldnt be unusual to see someone get up to 180bpm at close to max exertion

You probably shouldnt be getting your heart rate up that high every time you work out though, partly for safety reasons and partly because it might be too high to get the adaptations you want (hence the 'target heart rate' you see for aerobic training etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its probably not that cut and dry, im pretty sure i burn more calories in a wrestling practice/hard roll than i do running, I also think running fuckin sucks though so maybe its just me