Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

BlueArmyMan posted:

Karl Stern's version of After Dark is the better one imo. His love for whatever he's talking about is infectious.

And his voice is incredibly soothing. I could listen to him read the phone book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I hope all of Gawker dies except Kotaku, which has some very good people working there

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Dave trying so hard to avoid admitting the obvious reason why he never gets pulled over despite speeding all the time while Jon Jones does

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Downcast not updating with the new Observer?

Yeah but it's not just downcast, they haven't updated the rss feed

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

St Evan Echoes posted:

WOR: "a black"

"a black" and "blacks" multiple times ffs

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave really hates racism. Like, a lot. He really hates it.

He hates it the same way a lot of liberals his age hate it, in that they hate burning crosses and segregation and the n-word but blind themselves to the more subtle and pernicious aspects

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Luigi Thirty posted:

that was a paraphrased quote from some old WOR

I know, it was the discussion about Bill Watts I think? Or the old days of segregated shows? I was just making a point

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Jesus Christ man

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Gonzo McFee posted:

Teddy Hart should be in jail is what I'm saying.

Yeah, but goddamn

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Tremendous Daveism on today's WOR. "Let me be clear so no-one can misinterpret, there's stuff that I've seen and I can't really say what it is..."

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
It came up on my feed just fine on Wednesday

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Dave "Bill Watts wasn't racist" "the N-word wasn't racist" "I don't know why Jon Jones gets pulled over" Meltzer

NuclearPotato posted:

I found out the other day that Lanza's like 53 now, and that explains so much about him. Outside of that, VOW Flagship is a recommend from me, especially when they cover some of the smaller purl companies.

53? Jesus H Christ, i'm surprised but yeah it explains a lot

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Spermgod posted:

Pretty sure Joe is in his late 30s/early 40s?

Yeah I always assumed he was a 30s cantankerous idiot rather than a 50s cantankerous idiot

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I remember once on WOR Dave said that if he hadn't gone into sports writing he would have covered politics instead. Good Lord

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

CascadeBeta posted:

"So, uh, in the primaries after the debate, you have Trump up... 8. Cruz is dooown fiiiive. Jeb is- uh, where are my notes?"

*Sound of papers being shuffled*
*Email alert goes off*

You start out in 1954 by saying, “mark, mark, mark.” By 1968 you can't say “mark” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like "fans", "customers" and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about gate receipts, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] marks get hurt worse than smart fans. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the mark problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to book this,” is much more abstract than even the gate thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “mark, mark.”

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't remember him saying the latter part. I do remember him saying Watts wasn't a racist, which i do have a problem with, but not him saying they were "using the accepted industry term for black talent."

He's definitely said this more than once

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

CVagts posted:

I added the Attitude Era podcast to my podcasts-to-listen-to-at-work, should I start from the beginning or are the first few not so good?

It def improves over time but it's good from the off imo. Plus there's running jokes that go all the way back

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ch3cooh posted:

Stick around for the last half hour he gets fired up again

Fired up in a good way or in a, well, Joe way?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Spermgod posted:

YMMV but for me it was a lot of arguing against anonymous Twitter people and 20 minutes of restating the same point that had already been made in the first 5.

Fired up in the way that made me quit listening then

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

coconono posted:

it really depends on if the money's decent. By my math, it'd need to be around $3-4000USD weekly to make up for the booking, merchandising and licensing shortfalls.

I'm not sure any of the native UK talent are making 3000 USD/2500 GBP a week. Most of them have regular jobs which I doubt they would if they were on 100k a year from wrestling

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"They had black wrestlers taking about Jackie Robinson but there's white wrestlers who know more about baseball history"

It's not Baseball History Month, Dave, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Like, bear in mind that Granny is his actual grandmother

• Locked thread