Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Borh posted:

West was only the worst announcer of all time until the rise of heel Michael Cole, much like Gaddafi was the worst terrorist of all time in a pre-9/11 world. The good stuff he did afterwards, plus the fact that we since learned it could in fact get a hell of a lot worse, have more than redeemed him in my eyes.

That's a good analogy, but I've heard Cole do really well when he doesn't have Vince or Kevin Dunn screaming in his ear, whereas all I have for Don West is his endless goddamn shouting about whatever the gently caress. He and Tenay were awful and incapable of shutting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jeffersonlives posted:

The announcing is probably the one thing that will improve substantially when Vince steps away or kicks it, because there's ample evidence that the announcing problems that manifest in Cole are entirely Vince and Kevin Dunn while Triple H's model announcer is JR with less heavy producing.

This is assuming that HHH will veer from his current path of shoehorning his over-the-hill friends into the product when he takes over the company.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Mikey Whipwreck! I have missed him.

Do you prefer scared-of-everything Mikey or batshit-insane Mikey?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Which Mikey tells lots of stories about those two Mikeys?

That would be fat crippled Mikey, who also rules because he cracks jokes about looking like King Kong Bundy all the time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

I can't wait for Konnan to ask Bryan more questions.

Wait, what? I hope you're being serious. Listening to Konnan annoy Bryan is worth a subscription to me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Speaking of Art of Wrestling, I haven't caught any of the recent ones. Any I should catch?

Rhyno's interview is really interesting, in part because he explains why his legs are so huge.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have never seen or heard Cabana do anything and not immediately thought "here is a man who tries too hard"

Yeah, it's hard to argue that. Listen to the Domino in Nigeria episode of AOW if you haven't already - Colt's not straining to be funny in that one, and of course he's much funnier than usual because of it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CaptainYesterday posted:

If you want to hear Nigel McGuinness talk about farting, this week's Art of Wrestling is for you.

It's also interesting to hear them talk about Regal's impact on Nigel, and how no older wrestlers have really taken Colt under their wing so far. Which is odd, because you'd think an athletic guy who doesn't do crazy highspots and tries to entertain the fans would be someone they'd like.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Seriously.

I would love to hear an hour of just his booking and promoting philosophy.

He did a Straight Shootin' interview with Cornette back in the day that went into this a little bit, but there needs to be more. Too bad he burned Kayfabe Commentaries.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

huh, Nigel had a history of neurological issues before wrestling.

Wait, what? What were they? His sister couldn't have farted on him THAT hard.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Frilled Lizard posted:

I know I am way, way behind on this, but the second AoW Cliff Compton interview, where he talks about wrestling in Nigeria against Power Uti is AMAZING. He can really tell a story.

The phrase "I got him by the Nigerian balls" kills me every time I hear it. So glad he and Luke Gallows are involved in Road Diaries 2.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rodney the Piper posted:

bragged about knocking a guy out (legit, I guess) on Evolve with a kick in the first minute and how that showed he was tired of wrestling not being real

Low Ki, you goddamn idiot, wrestling's supposed to be fake. Why doesn't he just do MMA if that's how he feels?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

njsykora posted:

Well it was an Evolve show, I'd expect the crowd there would pop for anyone saying wrestling. That whole movement pisses me off, people saying its not sports entertainment, it's WRESTLING. They're the same loving thing, just different styles of presentation.

I see what you mean, but I can understand the divide. Pro wrestling is corny/lovable fake fighting for rednecks and high school dropouts. Sports entertainment is something WWE made up to hoodwink the NY and NJ athletic commissions, and has become synonymous with a hacky sideshow in which clumsy ex-bodybuilders act out Vince's myriad personal issues.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perigryn posted:

Worked for Quackenbush, though I think he does help his students get outside bookings.

Not as much as he used to, which might be for the best because most of his his trainees aren't very good in non-Chikara situations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So, per AOW, now Lita lives in Nicaraugua, then?

For part of the year, anyway. It sounds like leaving the business did her a world of good.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That makes me think perhaps her and Punk are not dating.

They broke up a while ago.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The rundown of Brock's insane value and rarity was so depressing.

- The biggest draw in all of MMA and Wrestling

Wait, when was he the biggest draw in wrestling? He didn't do poo poo for house shows or PPV during his initial WWE run.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lloyd Boner posted:

Biggest as in bigger than anyone in MMA or pro wrestling while he was in UFC.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. Sorry to go all Dwight Schrute there for a second.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

Tell me you wouldn't mark if Aldo Montoya got the night off from K-Mart to team with Storm versus those guys. :colbert:

Assuming he didn't pass out backstage, that is.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tarodia posted:

Not really, aside from one comment about not watching ROH anymore. He talks a lot about ECW and learning from Paul Heyman. I though it was pretty interesting.

Gabe's really friendly and approachable in person, so I'm glad it was that Gabe on AOW and not Internet nerdrage Gabe.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Yes. Although this did have a Scott Hall health update that he's apparently doing a lot better.

That's good to hear, at least. What happened with him smacking his girlfriend around a while back?

Also, is anyone listening to Konnan's podcast? It's loving great. Konnan's funny as hell and a pretty good interviewer when he has guests, and his observations about minorities in wrestling are really interesting. I was expecting him to be way more bitter and self-aggrandizing for some reason, but so far he hasn't been as pathetically carny as a lot of guys from his era.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jeffersonlives posted:

Dreamer was the booker in OVW for awhile and took one of the better wrestling shows around and turned it into the worst show in wrestling.

He was also part of ECW's booking committee towards the end, which doesn't speak highly of his abilities either.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

I like to think is what caused Matt to look at himself and fix things. "Even Dave Meltzer is making fun of me?"

He may just be saying things he doesn't mean, but he seemed lucid and had a lot of interesting things to say about the business, so in the very least it looks like he's actually clear headed now, which is good.

Scott Hall is the same way when he's sober. Problem is, he can't ever stay that way. Hopefully Matt can, for his own sake.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

njsykora posted:

When Terry Funk and Mick Foley are both dead, then we know for sure that none of us are safe.

When the WWE Legends of Wrestling roundtable did their Badasses episode, I was a little shocked that Terry wasn't included. He's tougher than hell and not someone you want to try in the ring, either - Road Dogg and Billy Gunn are on record saying that his left hand is a beast.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

Most of Terry's best work wasn't with WWE, and WWE is wrestling, so how can he be the toughest man in wrestling?

I guess they could show him wrestling a half decent match out of Hulk Hogan, that counts I guess. :)

They talked at length about Bruiser Brody and he never wrestled for Vince, so it's not that. Those roundtables are cool for that reason, actually - they ignore Vince's self-serving company line take on wrestling and mention a lot of guys who wouldn't get mentioned in any other context.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

That leads me to believe that Bischoff was never being a negotiating mastermind to make Luger take a paycut nor was he a genius for bringing him over. He was actually willing to turn Luger down and had to be talked into signing him by Sting to bring him in.

Eric Bischoff is stupid.

This is a fair point, although I can understand anyone's hesitance about hiring Luger, since he had a reputation for being an rear end in a top hat (in the locker room as well as the office) who wasn't worth his price tag, pay cut or not. But yes, Bischoff has a creative memory when it comes to hiding his inexperience in wrestling.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perigryn posted:

Well, there that guy he stiffed and as a result got the Moppy gimmick as punishment.

Saturn was extremely remorseful about that once he was reminded of it - he took a snap mare wrong and freaked out, and then the jobber took a bad bump out of the ring when Saturn threw him out so he could calm himself down.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is the problem further compounded by the fact that alot of the time Dave is just rambling or mumbling or stuttering and his brain does not work as fast as his mouth or whatever is happening. He just talks and talks and talks and alot of the time he's just stopping in the middle of a sentence repeatedly and starting over and if Bryan doesn't stop him he'll burn ten minutes verbally running in place.

Yeah, Dave's rampant 'sperging is kinda sad, but with the right partner (aka not Bryan) it's not as distracting. Dave almost sounded like a normal person on Konnan's podcast, for example.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

It's funny: Anytime you hear "Well, X is X, what can I tell you?", what that really means is "He's an rear end in a top hat, but he has something to offer, so we put up with it". And even Dave, who is among the most socially awkward guys I've ever seen in sports journalism, gets this.

Wait, who else in sports journalism is as awkward as Meltzer?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Akileese posted:

He sold me on the MLW podcast when he said they interviewed Tully Blanchard while HE WAS GOLFING!

They did. Tully's not exactly a fun interview when he's not distracted, so it was a weird episode, but Konnan and Saint-Laurent trying to find every possible opportunity to make fun of Larry Zybysko saved it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Interesting tidbit from Konnan's podcast: not only did Scott Hall actually show up for his son's first pro wrestling match, he talked Larry Zbyszko to drive him to and from the venue, which is three hours from Scott's house. What a car ride that must have been.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Larry and Scott are friends so I'm sure it was a chill ride. Larry probably told him about how the Pyramids were created by our Reptilian overlords to control the 2012 pole shift.

And Scott made him listen to "California Love" on repeat for the whole drive.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bobkatt013 posted:

Does he defend Linda at all and how the retard gimmick was not offensive at all? I am also shocked that it was Triple H who suggested the ring jacket that is usually the one thing Raven does and then takes credit for your gimmick.

Pretty sure Raven had already been fired by that point, so the responsibility fell upon HHH to suggest it and then figure out a way to cannibalize Eugene's pop once he got over.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

We have to wait for Regal, today's guest is Ricky Reyes, that miserable little toerag.

Hey man, Rick Noon is podcast GOLD.

...seriously, it's a good episode.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cardboard Box posted:

How can anyone in the world hate Dave Meltzer after reading that

He's finally found a place where he isn't cripplingly awkward.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Pro wrestling was built on making people think two people hated each other and wanting to pay money to see it.

The segments are really entertaining. However, his point is interesting: if those segments are making fans less interested in the matches they are trying to get them to pay for, that is a problem. If neither match outcome is as important to the fans as the silly outcome, no one is taking either guy seriously and that can have a negative impact on WWE's bottom line.

I liked the hug because if nothing else, it shook up WWE's extremely tired booking formula. No one outside of maybe three people on the entire roster is booked to be taken seriously anyway, so the least they could do is let some of the guys have a little fun with their angles instead of the paint-by-numbers bullshit they usually do.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Also you get to hear Konnan's impressions of both Bryan and the Steve Miller Band.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RandolphCarter posted:

Are there any good Big Daddy matches? I've seen 2-3 but they weren't that good.

No, not really. Big Daddy could barely move, so getting a good match out of him was pretty much impossible, unless it was a tag match where his partner and the other team could work around him while he waited for the hot tag.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pretty good MLW podcast this week - Court buries Dave Lagana for being a creepy rear end in a top hat and praises Mean Gene Okerlund for being awesome, and Konnan talks about how his stint in the Navy snapped him out of being a Republican, and how Silver King and some of the other luchadors are chubby chasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

Konnan is a truther. This makes me a little sad.

He wasn't saying 9/11 was definitely an inside job, he was just saying that he understands why people would think it was, since the government has done shady stuff to start wars in the past. At least, that's my interpretation. Wrestling is full of conspiracy nuts, so maybe he is one of those Loose Change guys.

• Locked thread