Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Wolfy posted:

Does anyone play in the Inland Empire in southern California and have an opinion on which of our three rinks has the best clinics/whatever for new players? I played about 10 years ago but I was a goalie so..I don't really know too much about skating or puck handling. So consider me a player with no experience.

Hopefully I can scrape some money together soon because then I'll probably see you out there. I have zero hockey or skating experience but a huge desire to get my rear end on the ice some day, and since I live maybe 10-15 minutes from that ontario ice so I figure that's where I'll head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I've wanted to play hockey for a bit and finally made the big first jump today by getting on the ice. I think the major thing holding me back was being a pussy about going in to all of it alone but I have a friend who skated with me today that will also want to start playing, I'm just not sure if he's got the time or commitment for it down the road. We did pretty well all things considered. The only issues came from trying to transition to skating backwards plus losing the edge a lot when pushing too hard or turning too quickly, hopefully due to crappy skates but I don't know.

I suppose the plan is to rent a few more times for open ice then get some skates and hopefully take a class.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This, and if you take the class, go ahead get yourself a pair of skates. Rentals are for poo poo, especially if they're the kind with the buckles instead of laces. Also, you never know when they were last sharpened or who did it. Some 16-year-old part-time rink rat making $6.00 an hour could be the one running the sharpener. You want something that fits right, feels good on your foot, and has a proper edge. If it sucks to skate, you won't have fun.

Yeah, I really didn't feel confident on the skates I was using because of how bad the edge felt. Hopefully I can head out to Hockey Monkey next week and start trying things on.

e: Looks like I've got an option for an 8 week class for $100 at a higher reviewed place, or a different rink has an option for $55 to get 4 classes but if I'm understanding correctly that comes with unlimited public skating for the month. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter just to get more ice time. Any So Cal goons happen to have any insight? These are the two Ontario ice rinks

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Chemmy posted:

You'll make new friends by playing hockey and by definition they'll be interested in playing hockey with you.

Problem solved.

Great thinking. I live near LA so I've actually got plans to head to the big HockeyMonkey place in Santa Ana on Wednesday to try on some skates because I'm ready to jump in to this. I'm just crossing my fingers for something that fits well without being way too expensive.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Bought skates then got stuck in traffic and missed open ice for today :unsmith:

I can sign up for a class that starts tomorrow but I was hoping to familiarize myself with these a bit first. Maybe I'll wait for next week's class and do a few open ice sessions before then.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I got my first skates on wednesday, Bauer Vapor X4s, and finally got to give them a try today. I think this was only my third time on the ice period but it was still a huge difference. It was almost terrifying how fast I could get moving compared to rental skates.

For the most part I just spent the day getting used to the edge on these things. I did a bit of one-footed skating to work on balance, and started to get in to crossovers while turning for speed, but mostly just took it easy to get more comfortable on the ice. On Thursday I'll have my first class so hopefully there will be someone to push me in the right direction because I've got unlimited public sessions for the month to practice on my own aside from that. I'm all ears if any of you have tips for what a good progression of skill learning should be.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm glad you guys are right about the whole adults getting in to hockey thing. I've been out at the rink often enough to sniff out the people who were my age and similarly bad so I was able to introduce myself and take solace in knowing that there's a group of us working on this together. It was good to have those familiar faces around when my beginner skating class rolled around so that I didn't feel so awkward. There's probably a good 10-15 adults in the class, many of whom are much older though probably only 4 of us that have hockey as the end goal.

There's a lot more I need to practice but all in all I'm ecstatic with my results so far. I'm still a far cry away from a being a good skater, but I'm a significantly better one than when I started and that's enough to feel great about. I'm decent at skating backwards, can transition well in both directions, have figured out forward and backwards crossovers, can hockey stop in one direction, and almost have it down in the other. It goes without saying that I'm mediocre at best with all of these skills but every time I leave the rink I feel like I've accomplished something. Shouldn't be too long until I can try doing it all with a stick in my hands!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 17, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

hockeymonkey.com has 20% off everything* (excludes a lot of stuff, still) now, TENT20 at checkout. Up until 8/13/12

Anyone have thoughts on Easton pads? The Synergy line in particular. Most of the stuff I've been eyeing is excluded from the sale but I managed to find a cart full of Easton stuff that is discounted. It's a pretty good deal so I'm considering pulling the trigger for my first set of pads.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Loqieu posted:

I've seen the EQ30 and EQ50 stuff, and you're armored up like Robocop. Probably can take a bullet and live. I wear Stealth S1 pads (circa 2008), and considering that was on their low end, it's held up really well.

I tried the stealth 65 elbow pads on in the store and really liked them so I'll definitely pick them up on this sale. What I liked the most in store was the Reebok 7k shin guards and one of the CCM pairs (08 maybe?), but the Synergy EQ30s have decent reviews on there and are on clearance + the 20% sale so that may be my best option right now. I've also got EQ20 pants in my cart since they're clearance +20% as well. I'm just waiting for my birthday to pass tomorrow before snapping it all up right as it ends.

It's not exactly what I was looking for but it seems that this gear is good enough considering I've never even held a stick before, and to get elbow, shin, and pants for under $100 is quite a deal. Thanks everyone for the help.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Caveat: I do not own a hockey stick nor have I ever shot a puck.

I've spent a bit of time learning how to skate and will soon be grabbing a stick so that I can finally begin a few shots. It's been suggested to me that I should shoot in the direction that is favored when doing a hockey stop. I write, golf, throw, and everything else right handed but I'm goofy footed (right foot in front) when it comes to movement sports. Because of this, I can stop really well to the left but am not nearly as smooth to the right. I know that I can overcome it as I get better at skating but in the end I think I'll always be naturally better at shooting left.

This seems to me like it'll have a much bigger effect than dominant hand ever could, it's just convenient that it coincides with that hand being on top.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 22, 2013

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I bought my first stick the other day! No clue what I'm doing with it yet but it's one step closer to playing on the ice for real.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Beer is like 90% water anyway.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I've been learning to skate and slowly assembling a full set of gear for a bit, but last night I played some pick up hockey in what was basically my first time being on the ice with a stick. I came very close to not doing a single good thing with the puck the entire night, but it was still drat fun.

It was 4 on 4, with one person on each bench to sub out and holy poo poo that is tiring. The number one thing I took away is that I need to do a looot of conditioning because it's one thing to be terrible but it's another to be terrible and exhausted.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

As someone who is just now starting stick time and getting into rec hockey, I don't understand some of this fighting stuff. I don't play real games yet so maybe I don't know what it's like, but seeing as how this is rec level and should be for fun I don't see how any of that is justifiable. Where does it cross the line to being considered straight up assault? This isn't the NHL; I pay a significant amount to take part in this hobby and certainly wouldn't want to face a suspension for some asshat trying to fight me or for sticking up for a teammate but if some fucker tried to hurt me outside the scope of the game then I'm really not sure how I would handle it at this point.

Not sure if this applies to Zetterberg's case because I'm referring to no-check leagues (unless he shouldn't have been hit/boarded in the first place), but nonetheless I just don't understand it. I wouldn't want to fight anybody but if somebody came swinging at me then I don't know what recourse I would even have.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm out more towards IE/SGV but will also be looking for rookie leagues near LA soon. I've got two other friends that I've been doing sticktime and pickup games with for the past few months and the three of us will be looking for our first league shortly.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I look like beaker from the muppets and always worry about the fit of my helmet. I think I'm doomed for hot brains as soon as anybody even so much as looks at my non-chin.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Last night I made a much longer trek than normal to try out a new rink (The Rinks/Lakewood Ice) for an adult clinic on the suggestion of a friend because the group is closer to our skill level. Previously, I've only been able to do stick time by myself or pickup games against people who have played college or junior and skate circles around me to the point where I'll be lucky if I touch the puck at all. This was so much better because I was actually able to make some plays and work on things, it's just a shame that it can take up to an hour to get there depending on traffic. I feel a lot more motivated after last night because I now know that there's enough people out there for me to join a league soon, I think I'll just need to work a lot on conditioning so that I can actually play full games up to speed.

Hockey :swoon:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Uh hi new so cal hockey friend. Let's go to a stick time!

Where do you live? The Torrance rink (IceAngeles is the league) is 100% committed to being the first league new players join. They have an aluminum league that they have specifically for never-evers and move good players/teams up regularly to keep the league balanced. They have 4 (technically 5) divisions of bronze and lower whereas most rinks have 2. You won't feel like the only rookie in the league and I can't say enough about it for new players.

I'm actually a ways out closer to SGV/IE, near where the 10, 57, and 71 all converge. Closest to me are the Ontario rinks but they're garbage and I don't know if they have much for leagues. They've been great for giving me cheap ice time to learn skating $40/mo unlimited public skate!, though I haven't done any stick time there. I recently started heading to KHS in Anaheim for stick time after work, and now I'll be doing Lakewood in the rotation after being introduced to it. My plan is to do one night in Ontario and one night elsewhere per week. I'm way down to join you for stick time whenever; I've always got a lot to work on and it's probably a big help for whenever I have a dumb question that I normally can't get an answer to.

Thanks for the advice re: Torrance. I started playing with two other friends so we're all fairly similar skill level. They work out in that direction so Torrance is definitely feasible once we join a league in the coming months.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

D C posted:

What about the rink in Yorba LInda off the 91? I played in a league there for a little bit, seemed to be run okay, not sure what they have for divisions though.

Thanks for the tip, this may be a good option for my two friends and I. The Torrance league that Sellouts described is really enticing but it seems like it's already started. Same with the Lakewood rookie league. Our options as I see it now are to jump into Yorba Linda's rookie league in late Feb or wait until Summer to get the next go-around at one of the other rinks. We've made a lot of progression and should be decent enough to start bumbling around with other newbies at this point so it may be worth it to start sooner rather than later.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Teeter, Ace and I don't even have our first game until sunday, since there is 5 teams the short one had a bye the first week to get more players. I don't know how they are now but if you got hold of the director you could ask if there was still enough space for you and your crew.

Is this for Torrance Harbor City or Lakewood? I'll give the director a call and see what's going on but I think for now we're looking at Yorba Linda mostly because we have time to register and won't need to wait til Summer. Yorba Linda has Wednesday games which are far from ideal so I'll look into whether we can get a late start elsewhere or maybe just be subs if that's possible.

It's pretty cool that there are so many SoCal hockey goons.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I want to make a shooting pad for my backyard. What material should I be on the lookout for if I head in to Home Depot or wherever? Bonus points if it rolls or can be cut there because I have a tiny car and would need to make some arrangements to get a giant sheet of whatever home.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

My only issue with stopping is that I am very clearly goofy footed and turning clockwise is difficult to me compared to stopping toward the left. Up until now just about every sport I've done has had a clear dominant side so getting into something that needs near equal treatment with regard to right/left is a lot to overcome. What sucks most of all is that I shoot right despite favoring the left for stopping and skating in general.

Stuff like this blows my mind when I watch NHL hockey now. They are so good at skating and there are so many subtle little things that I never would have noticed before. Things like being on the off wing or receiving bad passes; I wouldn't bat an eye at it before but now I can appreciate the skill it takes to settle a bouncing puck on your backhand without outright tumbling over and blowing the breakout like I tend to do.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

It's 180 or so for Staples. 2 100 level tickets, 1 player skates in the pre or post game drop in game.

Do you have any more info about this? A buddy of mine is a big Sens fan so we go see Sens @ Kings together each year. We were doing some planning on Facebook and someone mentioned something about a pickup being played on the ice after the game. I'd love to hear your experience if you've done it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

:words:

(second piece of advice is to make sure you've got someone who knows how to take a photo taking photos if you care) The guy taking the second photos couldn't get the banners right)

Awesome! This is a ton of helpful info, thanks.

I was mainly just curious because a friend of a friend commented on our Facebook thread about a pickup game for the particular date we plan on going, so I take it either he or someone he knows is organizing the group for this game. I had no clue how it was done but this is reassuring because I'm total garbage at hockey yet could probably pull it off some time soon if could finagle my way into the right group.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Things that suck:

1) Clinics for kids that are held during stick time, in which the coaches get to block off half the ice to use on their own.
2) Stick times where ~30 skaters are crammed in to that remaining half of ice.

Such garbage last night. I probably took <10 shots on net because of how packed it was. I tried instead to work on some skating, but even that was hard because of how little space I was dealing with. There was a goalie there but he didn't face a single shot all night because it would slow things down too much to sit in net. He stayed by the bench and practiced butterflies and sliding for an hour.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Has anyone here used a slackline? I do a bit of rock climbing and slacklines are often around, but it only just recently dawned on me that it might be an awesome way to work on balance training and building some leg muscles at home. I may end up getting one to screw around with; I'm not sure if it would have any benefit for my skating but it should be fun regardless.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 6, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I bought new shin guards today so part of me is now hyperaware of how much of a money sink this hobby will end up being with constant desire for new gear, but the other part of me doesn't give a poo poo because these actually fit properly and I can't wait to see how they feel on the ice.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm no expert or anything but I believe these situations outside of home are where renter's insurance applies i.e. if your car is broken into and something is stolen then you'd go through the renter policy rather than auto for those belongings.

Also yes, it is comically cheap. I pay about $11/mo, but bundling it together with my auto insurance gives me like a $10 discount so it's almost free.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Locks? My locker room doesn't even have a door

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Is maple syrup a sport? They've got some super convoluted ranking/naming systems as well

WIKIPEDIA MAPLE SYRUP ARTICLE posted:

In Canada, maple syrup is classified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) as one of three grades, each with several colour classes: Canada No. 1, including Extra Light, Light, and Medium; No. 2 Amber; and finally No. 3 Dark or any other ungraded category. Producers in Ontario or Québec may follow either federal or provincial grading guidelines. Québec's and Ontario's guidelines differ slightly from the federal: there are two "number" categories in Québec (Number 1, with four colour classes, and 2, with five colour classes).[51] As in Québec, Ontario's producers have two "number" grades: 1, with three colour classes; and 2, with one colour class, which is typically referred to as "Ontario Amber" when produced and sold in that province only.

The United States uses different grading standards. Maple syrup is divided into two major grades: Grade A and Grade B. Grade A is further divided into three subgrades: Light Amber (sometimes known as Fancy), Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. The Vermont Agency of Agriculture Food and Markets uses a similar grading system of colour, and is roughly equivalent, especially for lighter syrups, but using letters: "AA", "A", etc.[54][55] The Vermont grading system differs from the US system in maintaining a slightly higher standard of product density (measured on the Baumé scale). New Hampshire maintains a similar standard, but not a separate state grading scale. The Vermont-graded product has 0.9 percent more sugar and less water in its composition than US-graded. One grade of syrup not for table use, called commercial or Grade C, is also produced under the Vermont system.[56] Vermont inspectors enforce strict syrup grading regulations, and can fine producers up to US$1000 for labeling syrup incorrectly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup#Grades

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Verman posted:

A roller team in my league a few years ago had a great one. Subtle but nice.

Big Black Hawks.

Modern Family even got in on it. http://sportsmockery.com/2015/02/blackhawks-modern-family/

*edit ... yeah its been done way before modern family*

Since like 2006, my xbox has had two guest accounts. One is Blackhawk, the other is Black Cock. It's the perfect sort of confusion when people angrily shout out names during splitscreen Halo or whatever

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I am "that lovely new guy" and it doesn't matter. If anything, it just gives them one more pylon to try their sweet dekes against so I'm sure the other team likes it. In any case, people at the drop-in I go to get pretty gassed toward the end so nobody is even making a concerted effort and screwing up a play due to being bad is no worse than all the stuff that happens because nobody plays defense.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Verman posted:

I'm hoping that $10 buys you a black and white jersey.

By black and white I mean a black jersey ... and a white jersey. Not a black and white jersey.

Seriously don't be the red guy on the white team or the yellow guy on the dark team.

I'm so bad that I wear a grey jersey because sometimes it's difficult to tell which side I'm helping more.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

Oh boy...

I pulled the trigger on a brand new set of equipment this week, and I'm switching from goalie to skating out. This should be interesting... I'm looking at building/buying a practice pad for stick handling but god drat to the ready made kits cost a ton. Does anyone know the type of material used for those plastic (or serial number) roll up pads so i can buy it at a hardware store on the cheap? Thanks

Also, wasn't there a google doc of SA hockey players and locations?

It does not roll, but I recently got one of these as a shooting pad:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Thrifty-White-32-sq-ft-Hardboard-Panel-Board-709106/202090193

I think HDPE plastic is the other keyword I've seen thrown around so that material may be worth looking in to as well.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Bought new shin guards. Thread title confirmed

e: and on the topic of stick talk... how often are those stick mystery packs available, and are they generally worth it? I've been using a wooden stick and want to upgrade but one of the biggest problems facing me is that I'm not good enough nor experienced enough to have developed a preference for any particular curve/lie/flex. I see a mystery pack listed at Hockey Monkey but it's "sold out" and I'm not sure if I would get it anyway considering that it could end up giving me a few sticks that don't even fit me.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 13, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I just picture the scorekeeper equivalent of one of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCOmqvWUaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLPveilqo8

Maybe he's just really in to what he does.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I am lucky enough to be learning along with 2 other friends so we try to make it out to stick time together which is a huge help. We definitely spend a lot more time passing than shooting on net but I've certainly noticed how hard of a skill it is to develop.

I've learned everything up until this point with a wooden stick. It's a great stick, aside from the fact that it's wooden and fairly easily outclassed in every way by others. I just bought a cheap composite from Hockey Tron, mostly to try a different blade pattern, but after using it once I was really not a fan of the lie and am not sure what to do. I am tall (6'2 off skates) so I did not cut the stick at all yet because I like the length but it will definitely need to get trimmed down in order to get the blade laying flat. My worries though are that I may not be able to get a proper lie without making it too short altogether. Any tips for this?

Blade lie isn't something I've really seen listed for sticks, nor is it an even option to change as far as I've seen. Is it easy enough to fix by adjusting stick length or do I need to physically try each stick type and develop a blacklist of brands that don't work for me?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

How much of a difference is skating in regular clothing vs. skating in full pads? Right now I go to my local rink's public skating and just wear jeans, shirt/sweatshirt, and then a helmet and hockey gloves. Will skating in full pads be an easy adjustment? Anything I should be aware of? Or does it really not make any difference at all? Regular pads, not goalie pads.

To me, the biggest difference was shin guards because I had spent so much time learning to do crossovers without pads. Second to that is playing with a cage, as that affected my peripheral vision a bit and was a little disorienting. Overall it's fairly minor and you get used to it after a few ice sessions. The tradeoff in feeling invincible during minor falls more than makes up for it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/player-stick-blade-pattern-charts.html

This link breaks down lies and patterns of most of the major brands and such. Keep in mind though that flex and lie ratings are relative to each manufacturer (for example, Lie 6 for Easton might slightly differ from Lie 6 for Bauer).

As far as how long or short your stick should be and lie angle, it's all quite subjective, but maybe we can narrow things down. What stick are you currently using? What issues are you having with it on the ice? How different is the blade pattern compared your old stick?

The best advice right now I can give without knowing much else is if you're going to cut it, only do a little at a time, like 1/4" or 1cm pieces. They also do sell wooden and composite plugs you can glue into the butt end to the stick to lengthen it if needed. And don't feel like you have to cut it, especially if you're comfortable and can work with it. Don't worry so much about your blade lying flat to your side if you can still take and receive the puck with relative ease.

Sticks are Sher-Wood 5030 PP09 and a Tron C6 with P88 curve. Both are super cheap so I'm not invested in either and if nothing else it's nice to experience the variance between sticks.

I like the extended reach that the Tron has but the toe lifts off the ice a bit which was difficult to adjust to. It gave me the feeling that something wasn't right but I think I'm just a baby about it, with the issue compounded by me being kinda bad. So far I have had more trouble receiving passes but I'll use it a few more times and see if I get used to it (or just get better in general). On the plus side, this stick feels effortless to shoot compared to the wooden one. I can pick out corners much more easily and I need to exert a lot less power to get an equivalent shot as the 5030. If anything my problem now is shooting too high and I definitely need to rein it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Not rude at all, you're right!

That makes a lot more sense though. I was imaging hockey where you couldn't touch another player and couldn't really envision it.

This is more evidence that my Dad is screwing with me hahaha.

It's "no contact" in the way that basketball or something is. They still lean on each other and box each other out for position, but they're not full on hitting or running into each other.