Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
FYI, there is now a subforum for the 2012 Olympic games. Fencers, boxers, wrestlers, TKDers, Judoka, please feel free to discuss the appropriate events, and anyone in any discipline that feels like putting together an informative OP for the above, please feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

gimpsuitjones posted:

My camp in Thailand didn't actually even mention money til I'd been there like a month

Thai camps (with the exceptions of the ones that cater to farang like Tiger and Fairtex) make most of their money from fighter purses, so they lock up their fighters with restrictive contracts and aren't too concerned with collecting money from hobbyists.

American fight schools make most of their money from hobbyists, so they get them into long term contracts while not being too concerned about collecting money from their fighters (assuming they have them)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Frazier would be the classic example.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Same in FL. Also standing 8 counts which are bizarre in the context of an MMA fight.

Shooto used to have standing 8s, in fact. Traditional!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

This is a really quick, mildly thought-provoking demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc&t=60s
Whenever you commit your force in one direction, it's much harder for you to resist forces applied off-axis to your force. Pretty obvious, really, and I'm sure it has way more obvious applications is grappling and judo, where you can commit for longer durations. But even in striking, this principle is applied --
if my jab gets read, it can be parried aside and slipped, throwing my balance off a bit and buying my opponent more time.
If I teep really deep and the opponent catches and scoops it aside, I'm left spinning for a split second while he can kick my support leg out.
The more you put your weight behind anything, the more reward there is in taking advantage and redirecting that force. In my outside perspective, that's how almost all of judo works.

This is one of the reasons that parrying is generally better than blocking, and dodging generally better than parrying.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've been training striking and grappling in various forms for ten years now. Pretty much all of my serious injuries occurred during grappling, the vast majority during takedowns.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I can't stand any fight scene that shoots for realism and fails, which is most. I watched Grosse Point Blank the other day and there was this little fight scene towards the end which was surprisingly good. The strangest places. 90s John Cusack comedy contains a more believable fight scene than 90% of the action movies I see.

If it's the one in the high school hallway, that's partially because the other guy is Benny Urquidez.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of modern fight choreography has gotten quite good compared to what fight scenes looked like even a decade ago, but I hate it when they have a really small woman kickboxing the poo poo out of dudes twice her size.

I assume you also hate it when Tony Jaa kickboxes the poo poo out of Nathan Jones.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

eine dose socken posted:

I've honestly never seen a street fight go to the ground

You haven't seen many street fights, then.

quote:

the risk of getting soccer kicked by someones buddy while you grapple with them seems pretty high?

Most streetfights I've seen involve somebody tackling somebody. If you've taken bjj, or another viable groundfighting art, you'll be working to either sweep the guy on top of you, or get out from under him, while his buddy attempts to soccer kick you. If you haven't taken bjj or another viable groundfighting art, you'll be lying there swallowing your teeth while his buddy soccer kicks you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Judo is older than Aikido, Boxing is older than any form of karate, wrestling is older than any form of kung fu. "Traditional Martial Arts" is not a useful formulation. If you're going to divide things up into categories, "Martial Arts that involve live sparring" and "Martial arts that suck" are probably the two most useful.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

Edit - this is also a pretty lovely attitude to have if you're not just joking around. TMAs done well are loving awesome to watch. More than anything they bring the art aspect.

Yeah that's cool and all but arts that purport to be teaching you how to fight without doing live sparring are going to get students hurt when they take that seriously.

Like I would have no problem with a traditional martial art that basically says "We're basically performance gymnastics with kicks, we'll get you into great shape but if you ever get into a fight forget all of this stuff and run like gently caress" but I rather doubt that's how most of them present themselves. Certainly none that I've ever visited.

Every judo, boxing, muay thai, and bjj gym I've been in has been very clear about what aspects of their arts are actually useful in a street confrontation. That's pretty important. A student of the judo club I used to train at isn't likely to attempt an ippon seio nage on a guy brandishing a knife at him because he's been made aware that this is a stupid idea. A guy whose kempo club has him repeatedly drilling anti-knife wristlocks, on the other hand, is pretty likely to wind up getting himself stabbed. And arguing that that doesn't suck because it's forms are "loving awesome to watch" is in fact what I consider a pretty lovely attitude.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

I've never been to a good decent gym that purports to train anything than what it trains well, and aggressively prove this in as many competitions as it can. Whether it's fighting in a ring or cage, or perfect wushu demos on a spring floor, or just being a monster in the roda, live competition of all kinds are what drives people to be better martial artists. Your segregation of martial arts between live sparring and 'those that suck' is completely the wrong attitude to have. People have different pursuits in life, and one is not better than the other.

I've never been to a half-way decent gym for ANY martial art (kung fu, TKD, boxing, MT, BJJ) that has primarily advertised some sort of competency at street fighting. This is not to say that boxing isn't useful in a street fight, but every good boxing gym I've been to has been honest about what it does well (boxing in a ring) and not tried to promote some sort of "you can be Balrog and defeat M.Bison" attitude. If you want to learn how to street fight, then just street fight. It's the only way, and no amount of boxing or BJJ will bring you to that point. This is not to say that one is more relevant than the other in certain situations.

Every good gym that trains TMA that I've visited has aggressively encouraged its students to participate in competitions, whether its wushu, capoeira, TKD, wing chun, or whatever. None of them have emphasized that theirs is the one true martial art to defeat all others or whatever. There are those crazy gyms which try to kill people with ki touches or whatever, I'm not denying that. But what I am saying is, very few gyms like that actively participate in any sort of competition at all. It's not the martial art that encourages these crazy bastards, but crazy bastards encouraging crazy bastards.

People at all of these gyms are fit as gently caress, and they're pretty happy and pretty goddamn amazing at what they do, which makes me love martial arts even more. Anderson Silva laying the smack down in the cage is just as beautiful as Tony Jaa jumping 50 feet in the air and kicking 20 times. Did you know that nearly half of Muay Thai bouts are decided by acting? If it doesn't look like it hurts, you don't get any points for it. If you get knocked down, you can get back up, laugh it off, and there's no standing 8 count.

I will probably end my days in love with Muay Thai, but I doubt I would be so in love if I hadn't grown up practicing wushu from a young age, up until my university days. And I still practice capoeira every now and then, and love every moment of it.

Congratulations on writing five paragraphs without addressing a single one of my points, I guess.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

Your point is that it's the martial art that teaches people to be weeabos, and my point is that it's the personal gym itself and has nothing to do with the martial art. Your point is that if the martial art doesn't involve live sparring, 'it sucks'. My point is that live sparring isn't the goal of all martial arts. It's all stuff that should be spelled out anyways, considering how much this thread pisses all over TMAs. It is possible to enjoy both aspects of martial arts

If a fluid comes in cans, is sold in grocery stores, and called a "soft drink", and when you drink it it tastes terrible and makes you ill, it sucks as a soft drink.

If said fluid happens to be very effective as a floor polisher, extremely useful for removing stains from your carpet, and an excellent industrial lubricant, it does not therefore follow that it doesn't suck as a soft drink because people have different goals in life.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

I think it's because I can spot a strip mall poo poo hole from a mile away and stay away from those places. I usually check fighters or performers to see what gyms they're representing and check out those gyms, if I see a gym without a decent competitor, I don't bother.

Thanks for seeing my point. It's all about marketing and has nothing to do with the fluid at all.

I will certainly allow that gyms without live sparring can certainly function as excellent exercise programs and performance arts, and if they market themselves as exercise programs and performance arts rather than martial arts I don't have any particular problem with them.

As martial arts, however, they suck, much as our hypothetical fluid sucks as a soft drink.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

vvvv: whatever, we're once again at the super pedantic point of this thread, where if things aren't worded exactly the way we like them to be, then everyone else is wrong

Taking the novel position that a martial art that doesn't actually teach you how to defend yourself sucks is not being pedantic. Words mean things.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

edit: nm this contributes nothing

edit: in order to put an end to this discussion, what's happening here is that there's a huge lexicological discrepancy between what's considered what (which is the very definition of pedantic).

That is not even close to the very definition of pedantic. "Pedantic" means getting overly concerned with details and formal rules, specifically when the details and formal rules are meaningless to the actual discussion.

The commonly accepted definition of "martial arts" among english-speaking people is "Something you train to become better at fighting/defending yourself." This isn't the PRIMARY GOAL of everyone who starts training martial arts, but it is nigh-universally an EXPECTATION of people who start training martial arts. If something which is referred to as a martial art does not fulfill this condition, then yes, it sucks. Your entire argument that these arts do not suck is based on the fact that they can be "awesome to watch" or "get you in good shape" or one of any other million things that martial arts can potentially do. But if you ask ten people in the street what a "martial art" is, you're not going to get ten people telling you that a martial art is "something that's awesome to watch" or "something that gets you in great shape". You're going to get ten variations of "a martial art is something that teaches you to fight/defend yourself." Gymnastics is awesome to watch and gets you in great shape. But if someone opened up a gymnastics school, put posters of Gymkata on the walls and called it a martial arts dojo - it would suck.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's so weird that wrestling, boxing and MMA were all fleshed-out martial arts (and official olympic sports) before the old testament was written, but Aikido dudes act like they are part of some kind of noble and ancient tradition. There needs to be a different term for TMAs. The problem is, you need to come up with a term that describes the difference but isn't obviously offensive to the TMA crowd, or it won't catch on.

Sidenote: I wish instead of 'Art of Mars' it was 'Art of Ares' because Mars was more like an honorable soldier but Ares was a violent psychotic rear end in a top hat. Aresian arts? Arestial arts? I dunno.

Pro-tip - most of our body of literature involving Greek myth comes from Athens and Athenians. Mysteriously, Athena tends to come across really well and Ares really poorly. :iiam:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

That's really lovely on the part of the ref, since the rule obviously is meant to refer to joint locks where a guy won't tap.

On the one hand, yeah

Bohemian Nights posted:

It makes sense, but the execution can be iffy. At the NYC open, a training partner with a TJJ background was "submitted" when he did his kiai before breakfalling after getting thrown, since the ref understood it as "screaming in pain."

on the other hand, :lol:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you want to get better at Judo, spend as much time as possible training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

Realistically, you are going to have some free time where you can't train Judo for logistical reasons. Spend most of it training cardio, because the better your cardio is, the more quality reps you will be able to perform during drilling and the sharper your technique will be during randori, which will result in better judo.

Probably you will have some other extra time in addition to that. Spend it on strength and flexibility training, because both of those help prevent injuries, and the more time you spend uninjured the more time you'll be able to spend training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hmmm, so no kyudo, kenjutsu, etc?. It's all just fluff?.
I'm curious...how many martial artists have actually 'used' their martial art outside the mat/dojo/ring?.

I've had exactly one physical confrontation since I started training martial arts. Dude swung a punch at me; I shoulder-rolled it the way I'd trained in boxing, then stepped in and whizzzer-threw him the way I'd trained in wrestling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ugrok posted:

So why criticize martial arts that have only a limited or non existent "real-world application" ?

Because regardless of whether or not self-defense is the primary REASON someone takes a martial art, it is nonetheless an EXPECTATION of most people. When someone practices a martial art they generally expect that, if necessary, they will be able to use that to defend themselves if necessary. Arts that include live sparring generally encourage a realistic view of how and when they will be able to use that. Arts that do not generally encourage an unrealistic view of how and when they will be able to use that, and having an unrealistic view of your own capacity re: self defense gets people hurt, and worse.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

Once again, that's a generalization based entirely on your own personal experiences and in no way reflects the entirety of those martial arts. I know many, many, many, many, martial artists from all walks of life who have realistic expectations of their self-defense prospects. I also know many martial artists from all martial arts who are complete assholes.

No, "Martial artists from X art generally have an unrealistic view of their capabilities" would be a generalization based on my personal experience. "Arts that do not generally encourage an unrealistic view of how and when they will be able to use that" is a factual statement because being taught techniques that you never attempt to apply to a resisting opponent gives you no realistic idea of how easy or difficult it will be to apply those techniques, which leads to unrealistic expectations regarding when and if you will be able to apply them. The fact that you know specific people from those arts who have (what you judge to be) realistic expectations of their self-defense prospects does not make this untrue.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

McNerd posted:

I always hear this; what is it about training wrestling that (allegedly) reinforces the idea of full-speed muscling through everything, at least by comparison with BJJ? Is it just a different culture? Safer to train full-speed without joint locks? Something else?

It is cultural, as people have noted above, but also it has to do with competition rules. Wrestling has 2 minute periods. Pretty much the shortest period in BJJ competition is 5 minutes, and for higher belt/level competition it can be as long as 10 or 20. If BJJ only competed in 2 minute rounds there'd be a lot more emphasis on high speed powering into finishes, and if wrestling regularly had ten minute periods there'd be a lot more emphasis on relaxing and flowing into takedown/pinning opportunities.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's also commonly referred to as a "peekout"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Right hook is a dumb, ugly punch and you're better off throwing an overhand right, or a right uppercut. hth.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

There's a lot to be learned from watching professionals fight, but you need to keep in mind that many things they do are just simply on another level. Those are not basics, and that's not necessarily what you need to be learning/practicing. I mean, if you honestly think you can fight just like Mayweather, then by all means, train like Mayweather.

Unless you're watching a Klitschko fight. Then just do that.

There's a difference between "bad habits professionals get away with because they're very, very good" and "things that may not be basics, but are an appropriate tool for very specific jobs" and the right hook is the latter.

But mostly I'm just having fun at Kid Dynamite's expense because I find it amusing to set his poor opinion of the right hook and his Floyd fanboyism at odds with each other.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I've drained guy's ears and had them return to 100% normal and I've drained guy's ears repeatedly who wear headgear and seen them still get nasty. It all depends on the person. I have only met a few who really wanted their ears to get bad.

Yeah, I drained my ears every time they swelled and they still look like they've been chewed on. Some people are just more susceptible.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Especially everyone's favorite Lee vs Tyson or Lee vs Ali because both those dudes are 50 pounds heavier and actual high level fighters.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

No way you can't follow it up with a glorious hook.

What are you talking about, you can easily do lead-uppercut to lead-hook. Tyson did it all the time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, just do that thing Mike Tyson did, jeez

Lots of people in boxing use the lead-uppercut/hook combo, I just like tying my boxing references to Tyson or Floyd because it makes it harder for KidDynamite to disagree with me.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Left upper->Left hook is just something that makes my rotator cuff cry. I'm also having trouble seeing an application for the combo over left upper->straight. The hook off the left upper will also be less powerful than a hook thrown after a right upper thus making it less glorious, unless it's left upper->feint->left hook but to me that's an entirely different combination. :colbert:

You can get a full power hook off the left upper if you don't fully shift your weight on the upper, which means the upper won't be as powerful, but it doesn't need to be because the purpose of it isn't to be a full power shot in and of itself but to raise your opponent's head to set them up for the subsequent hook.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ashenai posted:

I really hate poo poo like this. It's good to respect old masters for their experience, and what they'd achieved, but I don't think it's necessary to LARP with them while pretending it's actual sparring. Ultimately, this feels disrespectful to Judo itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the intimidation factor of facing such a respected practitioner played a role, but if you think that isn't "actual sparring" you should watch the Kata Gurumas again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ashenai posted:

There's this fantasy that physical conditioning isn't a vitally important part of any full-contact martial art (there's a bit in every martial arts urban legend where the tiny Aikidoka beats the crap out of the big dumb muscular dude,) and it pisses me right off. I really respect skill and experience, but I also really respect people who have conditioned and done cardio and buffed up for martial arts. It takes a shitton of effort and discipline, just like developing skills does, and it gets no respect.

And yeah, as you age your skills (mostly) remain, but a lot of your conditioning and power is lost.

I say again, if you think Mifune is lacking in power there, rewatch the Kata Gurumas. No matter how good your kuzushi is, you don't lift guys like that without strength.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Thirty bucks is a good deal for any seminar that you get something out of.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The greatest thing about it is that the "well it would work against an untrained attacker" explanation doesn't even apply, since anyone who doesn't wrestle isn't going to be shooting doubles and singles on you in a fight.

Actually "lovely tackles" are the untrained technique of choice in beer-fueled barfights in this and many other areas.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I forget who in PSP said it, but any wrestling practice where you don't feel like you're about to die is a bad practice.

Thoguh.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
One of the early Grappler's Quests had a Dog Brothers exhibition match. It was hilarious because it took place right after some of the kids divisions so all the parents got to see two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other with rattan sticks.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

I suppose if you're the type who confuses a ring/cage with a film set, you would be offended... But most of the fighters in this thread don't have too much of a problem

Says the guy who bitches for five paragraphs if someone dares to suggest a martial art that doesn't spar might not be very good.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

I think you've got me confused

Nah.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

Link please. Keeping in mind how many high profile fights there are per year world wide and how many people are trying to use tkd or whatever to prove it's 'legit'.

Oh yeah that argument where you refused to read what I wrote and put words in my mouth. Whatever, if I'm avatar to your insecurity, go for it

lol, trying to say stuff like this to save face doesn't work when people can just go back and read what you wrote.

I just find it amusing that me saying that martial arts that don't spar suck got you into a tizzy, and then you come right back and act contemptuous of people that throw spinning techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sumo doesn't have that: you lose by having any other part than the bottoms of your feet touch the ground or by getting pushed out of the ring. The logic with you losing because you are either kneeling, on your fours or on the ground basically is that you are gonna get kicked and stomped on if you end up there.

Except that we have hours upon hours of matches from early UFC and PRIDE and IVC where kicks and stomps to a kneeling or on-all-fours opponent were perfectly legal and Surprise! Often they don't actually end the match at all!

quote:

To me, sumo is much more of an "real" fight than any of the UFCs out there, no matter what the marketing says: give me a thong and a hundred pounds of goonfat over a rash guard any day :colbert:

:laffo:

• Locked thread