Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
John DiMaggio. The voice actor never batted for the Yankees or slept with Marilyn Monroe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

This was the very first time I had a major emotional reaction to a comic.
From Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore and Curt Swan. For those who have not read it the premise of the story is that Superman's foes have aligned against him and his friends are in danger so he gathers them together for protection.
A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."
I've never been sure, but was Moore talking about CoIE here, or was that a happy coincidence that he managed to have Clark mourn her before the reboot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I'm glad to see Jubilee act like Jubilee. I don't know what the hell they were trying for in the Wolverine + Jubilee mini-series but she was intensely dislikeable and out of character there.

I think Immonen was going for the drug addict metaphor, with Logan as her sponsor (and she wrote him so clearly as the movie Wolverine), so she was being all bitchy as she dealt with her issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

I loved this moment and the worst part about this scene is that both Mimic and Morph (effectively) are dead.

As in their eventual fates are already set at that point, or they're both dead 'in canon'? Because the latter isn't true. Morph's still around.

VVV And irritating the hell out of Blink, as is his rightful place.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 6, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

"A swashbuckling ninja who can't say no to a friend."

When you're on, you're on Bendis. It's so great to have Daredevil back.

The fact that Bendis gets the side of Daredevil that Waid's using as well as the Miller noir stuff is why he's the best guy to ever steer that ship. He gets that sometimes... the hero has to smile, to win, and not just a pyrrhic victory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Yeah, plenty. And B and C-list characters like that drop like flies regardless of how many hypothetical scouters they explode with their power levels. The only way you can survive in a comic universe is to be popular. It's not that being unpowered hurts their chances, it's that being powered doesn't help.

OH. I misread. I thought she was worried her daughter would have memory problems. My bad.

Well, there's about even odds of that or her being part dinosaur, but yes, the main issue is Finesse having the same memory problems as her father. At least her kid has distinct enough mannerisms that she can recognise her eventually. Taskmaster can't do that with Finesse because all of her movements are someone else's. He looks at her and sees Iron Fist or Captain America or Tigra.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hard as it may be to believe, but Morrison does not have an exclusive on that idea. And I'd say Waid has way more love for the Man of Steel than Grant, so he's entitled to his little moment of precooked shmaltz.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Juston like 13? I was a little creeped out by White Tiger saying she was gonna ask him out, but the X-23 stuff is sweet and works as a beat with the miniseries for her origin. And gotta love Pym's reaction. "...gently caress it, didn't sign up to the Avengers to babysit."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Just because you chump out to the Fantastic Four doesn't mean you are a chump, in fact it pretty much means the opposite. Whenever an FF villain goes up against any other hero you can expect the hero to basically get the holy hell kicked out of them.

Reminds me of that Batroc one-shot Kieron Gillen did a while back. Yes, Captain America and the Winter Soldier kick his rear end regularly, but he can actually give Steve or Bucky a fight, which is a hell of a lot more than your average gang thug can do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Not gonna lie. I choked.

:arghfist::( drat you Bendis and Bagley. Seriously, anyone who says Bendis can't have distinct 'voices' is talking out their rear end. That "made him breakfast" line is perfect little-kid logic. Parents make you breakfast, so if Aunt May did that for Spider-Man, she's his mom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Captain America's adopted son Ian confronts his sister Jet Black Zola.

Captain America 6

Cap is what happens if you give Pa Kent superpowers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The smart way to guarantee sales would have been to stick "SANDMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING" across the top of the cover.

"From the pages of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

It's not that F4 doesn't have heart, it's just very by the numbers, making it hard for people to be excited. FF is a wild pop song, while F4 is a steady waltz. 1-2-3-4. FF is clearly the better book, but I don't think anyone should count out F4.

Did you deliberately pick a dance/song style that's in 3/4 time?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

From what I've seen of it so far (which is basically just the scans posted in this thread), is Injustice supposed to be some kind of huge middle finger to everyone who was ever a fan of the Justice League or DC superheroes in general?

Because that's what it's coming across as so far.

From what I gather, the game's plot is "Due to Lois and Metropolis getting blowed up, Superman and Wonder Woman become assholes, Batman gets real League from regular continuity to come and kick butt." The tie-in comic is just going a LONG way to get to a pretty stock end-point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Get them in a crew with MACH V, Shocker, and Fixer(somehow), and you've got my $5 every month. Call it "Bro Team."

I think something with lightning... or thunder would have a better ring to it...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

They're more like divorced parents which is kind of sweet in it's own way. I mean, Li'l Gotham is a comic book mostly for children and having two parents be divorced is something a lot of children obviously deal with but it's also something that isn't reflected in any media, especially in something they might read or relate to.

Because divorce means you're super-old and ancient! Like... 30 or something!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but this seems less touching and inspiring than Black Bolt being a douche.

Yeah... you could make an argument for 'badass', certainly, but a page of Crystal crying and then Sue scowling at creepy Black Bolt isn't exactly giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When Wade finds Butler, he's gonna wear his duodenum as a jaunty hat. And that scene hit me emotionally in a way I haven't been hit since that little kid asked Aunt May if she was Peter's mom at his funeral.

"Did you make breakfast for him like his mommy?"

gently caress you, Bendis and Bagley... It-it's just dusty in this comic... I have allergies....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

What makes the current Deadpool run work is that it has some whacky stuff but the whacky stuff is funny (usually), and there's plenty of pathos and drama that has been well executed.

The joke about 'lol, no-one likes Deadpool being serious' in the video game pissed me off to no end. gently caress you, Daniel Way, YOU don't like that! Every single run where creators struck a balance has been more enjoyable for it. Hell, WAY's stories where he does that are the best of his run- the 'Wade joins the X-Men' arc, for instance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That last line is kind of corny and it also losses some of its impact from the fact logan hasn't really changed all that much so it also doesn't make sense.

Though it is nice to actually have those two characters talk instead of brood at each other or argue through proxies.

Well, the key to Schism was that Scott and Logan took paths you'd assume, on the surface, that the other would've done. But then you think a little harder, and their choices are completely in character. Scott's lost almost everything to this fight, and fighting is basically all he's ever been taught to do, since he was a kid. He's lost his wife, multiple times, lost friends, seen his race nearly wiped out and none of the people he was supposed to be building bridges with seem to give a drat. So why wouldn't he lean more towards Magneto's 'gently caress the humans' perspective?

Logan on the other hand, has lived through every major conflict in the last century and a half. Has seen the worst humanity has put out there... and seen the progress it's made too. He's found a peace within himself that doesn't deny the beast, but he's stopped letting it define him. And he's become a mentor to several young men and women (OK, mostly young women) who helped him see that he's not just 'the best there is at what he does', but that he can pass on the lessons he learned the hard way about seeing the good in people and working to build the future, not tear it down. Of course he'd become a teacher.

And the reason he probably doesn't seem to have changed much is that he didn't become a teacher when he refounded the school. He'd been one for years already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Luthor is also convinced that Supes considers himself above mere humans and could never conceive of someone great pretending to be a nobody, because he himself never could do that.

The end of the Black Ring story in Action Comics was a great example of that. He assumes Superman can't understand human emotions, that the worst pain he could experience is totally alien and inhuman... and then he sees that it's Clark holding Pa Kent's body.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Well, that's a silly assumption. If I thought Superman couldn't understand human emotions, I'd think the worst pain he ever felt was the fight with Doomsday or something.

I think he does muse if that's the answer as he's using the power.

That arc is pretty awesome, by the way, especially in how different each issue is, sometimes even the same issue switching tones. You go from Lex battling Grodd and his giant BRAIN SPOON! To Lex having a near fatal fall and meeting Death of the Endless in about 2 pages and the whole thing shifts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

e: For content, here's a conversation that's been a long time coming between Wolverine and Cyclops from Wolverine and the X-Men #40 after they've gotten done destroying a bunch of Sentinels in a SHIELD base.

Is Aaron still writing that? It reads like it, and it's why I don't get people who think he's turned Logan into some flawless saint. He's just taking the logical step of him finding peace with himself, and trying to at least make the next generation less lovely than the dozen he's seen before it. To make a really lovely analogy, Logan's now basically Duncan MacLeod from Highlander. Samurai background and all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Who the gently caress thought that this would make me want to buy a loving car?

You're supposed to think Chevy are artistic, thus you respect them more and that esteem transfers to their product.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please, for the love of god, tell me Reggie has died first.

Not reading it, but I think Sabrina actually was the first to go, because the apocalypse is kinda her fault.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bendis is really good at stomach punch moments in USM. Doesn't quite top "Were you Spider-Man's mommy?" but pretty drat close.

I've said it before, that funeral page actually made me say "gently caress you, Brian Bendis and Mark Bagley" out loud. With some, like, dust or grit in my eye. And throat.

And heart.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's a little soap opera, but in an appropriate way that seems honest and realistic. It's not melodrama.

If USM was a country, I'd be nominating Bendis for Dictator for Life.

I'm pretty sure he will be writing USM until they completely cancel it, or he dies. I'm not sure which is going to happen first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, bad Deadpool stories happen when a writer forgets that comedy and tragedy are two sides of the same coin. If all you see are random panels on Tumblr, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking the character is only good for lolmonkeycheese gag stories. But the most effective part of the character, to me, is that despite how silly and hosed-up he is, he still tries, on some level, to do the right thing. It's why moments like him swearing not to let Cable down, or letting that girl die finally during this current run, or not taking Archangel's money during X-Force and condemning them for murdering a child works.

Not to mention, you can only have those moments if Wade cares about other people, which is why the addition of the white caption boxes as a 'thing' are symbolic of missing the point. They only exist to give him someone to exposit and quip to, without having to put effort into building a relationship with another character, or indeed, characterise another person who might give a crap about Deadpool. It's shorthand for "stories are hard, but wasn't it funny when Wade said chimmichanga, lol?!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Things can be touching without being inspiring. It doesn't hurt to branch out a little from pictures of superman crying.

Kind of dilutes the topic though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's weird that the Injustice comic seems to take the most hamfisted parts of the game (the normal song-and-dance of Harley and the Joker) and pull something genuinely great out of them (having Ollie and Dinah be a big part of her redemption is inspired), and turn the things you'd think had potential into idiocy (Damien 'killing' Nightwing)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Wow that was frankly... two hours of terrible. Who'd they get for Joker? Cheech Marin?

IMDB says Richard Epcar. Mostly an anime dude, did voices for Lupin III, Bleach and Legend of Korra. It's really jarring, though. He's clearly trying to imitate Hamill, and unlike Troy Baker, he's failing. It's especially problematic when the Trinity are voiced by the original (well, kinda, in Supes' case) actors.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know what you're talking about. Wolverine is going to be dead forever and ever, and Thor is a woman from now on and won't ever be a dude again, even if they make a third movie...oh look, the pigs are flying south early this year.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Why are like six names bigger than everyone else's?

It's more than six, and I thought it might mean they died recently, but Wally Wood's is like that too...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought Ghost was a Dark Horse property? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also a pair of one-shots to bookend it, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

Some of us don't have the money to keep up with all the books. :(

The first omnibus is part of the current Humble Books Bundle, along with a crapton of other Image trades.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, what is it with BSS and me being unable to read this week? Still, that Humble Bundle gets you up to #18, if you stopped before there, I guess?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It baffles me that there are human beings out there who think Wanted is a great comic.

It has that Scottish guy that they've heard of's name on the cover, it must be good! (Sorry, I come from Millar's hometown. He's literally the biggest celebrity to ever come from here, so it's kind of annoying how often I've had to tell people I'm not a big fan.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure Max whsipered "Thank you" to the Plutonian, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress yeah, lil' Wonder Woman, kick that cancer's rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Someone repost the scene from Waid's Daredevil where Foggy's getting the strength to face his treatment by picturing Daredevil beating up his tumours. :unsmith: