Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
And using hotspot apps is a violation of your terms of service, so while nobody has had issues before, they could always decide to slap you with data fees at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Notice to people who have been using the upgrade on a non-unlimited line and then transfer the device as Customer Provided Equipment to move it to a line with unlimited to retain unlimited data.

The loophole is officially closed. Any device that was purchased as a 2-year contract subsidy will now require removal of the unlimited data feature unless the two-year contract term has been fulfilled. This was just announced today via VZW Intranet. Basically corporate is wise to various shenanigans in not so many words.

Yeah, this is going be impossible to enforce. Unless the block every single unlimited line from automated device changes so a rep needs to get involved.... and even then they can't block sim swaps.

I love how verizon still thinks they have the same level of control over devices on their network as they did in the cdma days. But then again, the various departments are so detached from each other and reality its not terribly surprising.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

Yes, except removing the SIM only disables 4G, since for everything else it uses the CDMA receiver, so airplane mode is really the only way to go.

Um, no.

The 4G SIM card also stores the CDMA credentials for the account. Pulling the SIM will keep it from working at all (except 911)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

I noticed Verizon is offering used iphone 4 units on their prepaid plan now, and am hoping to jump off this super lovely LG something or other that I'm stuck with (on their prepaid smartphone plan) at the moment. But as best as I can tell you can't order the units online without adding a new plan and the local Verizon store I went to a few weeks back did not have any and said it was an online thing.

So two questions pop up:
1. Is there a way to order the 'certified pre owned' iphone 4 off Verizon's site for my current plan that I'm missing?
2. Alternatively is there any reason why I couldn't snag a used Verizon iphone 4 or 4s online somewhere and have them add it to my account and remove the LG piece of poo poo?

It'd be soooo nice to finally go back to an iphone and unload my virgin mobile locked one on ebay.

Just pick up a moto G for $99. Its a Moto X with the 4G removed, and an amazing deal.

But yes, any used clear ESN iPhone 4 and 4s can be put on prepaid.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Welp.

After 18 years, at the end of this month, I will officially no longer be employed with a Verizon indirect, I have taken a new job in IT for a manufacturing company

I like my job, and my company, but I cannot take Verizon's bullshit anymore. 90% of the people who work in management could burst into flames tomorrow and I would break out the marshmallows and start a round of kumbaya .

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

scanlonman posted:

Does anyone know of a good large touchscreen handicap phone? Basically I'm looking for a phone that can just call and text, with large numbers.

There has never been a single decent touchscreen non-smartphone. They are all really, really terrible.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Well my last week and I might get a parting gift.

One of my Vendors is getting a shipment of the "New HTC One" today, so we will have them tomorrow.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Why a nice little present on my last day working in wireless..

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I mean an actual repeater with indoor and outdoor antenna units that retransmit signal between your phone and the tower, not a femtocell

And you can get a decent Wilson antenna kit for about the same price as the pile of crap network extender anyway.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Enjoy your commission paycut :frogbon:

More like no comms at all...$78 for a 5S? that leaves about $18 margin at normal wholesale, unless costco gets a super special price from Apple.

Its possible, because it looks like Apple is getting desperate,

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

If you can get just a bit of reception, the network extender can make the difference.

A lot of times, people move after getting one and they no longer need it. So they sell it on craigslist or ebay. If 250 once is too much, you can go that route. Just make sure the network extender is 3g capable also for internet.

You have to be careful buying used ones, as the system in place for handling activation/deact is half-assed and a mess.

Honestly, if you have the ability to run an outdoor antenna, your $250 is much better spent at some sort of active repeater system.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I wasn't going to go with used. The $250 isn't terrible and I can eat the cost for hassle-avoidance. What are you talking about with an active repeater system? I'm not at all familiar with what my options are in this scenario.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...son+electronics

something like that. they will work on almost all providers at once, and not require you to tie into your internet.

The setup is a bit more complicated, but having dealt with many, many network extenders over the years in my stint at VZW, they are the best overall.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I think they're highly aware that their no-contract plans are worse, and they're just running them to give the illusion of being competitive. Unless you buy (and have a need for) a 10GB data plan with the bigger per-line discount for being on Edge, you're better off taking the contract.

Oh....they are not. The Verizon distortion field makes Apple's look pathetic in comparison.

The entire company is being run by delusional, idiotic, spreadsheet obsessed monkeys. Everything at Verizon is done in a massive panic, at the last minute, with no thought about if it will work or actually cause numerous issues everywhere else. The only people who have a clue are in the network team.

This is a company who's brilliant idea to spark up sales in a slow month is to slash $100 of every phone in the store, while still charging insane monthly rates with absurdly low data caps, or to offer a free complete piece of crap tablet for "free" to keep "new customer" adds up while churn is spiking.

18 years in Wireless and I just couldn't take it anymore because of the people at Verizon.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

I live in a rural area where a good portion of our customers are elderly with basic phones. I'm so tired of hearing "heh heh that there phone is too smart for me!" *spits tobacco into spitoon"

"I don't have time to play on a computer all day"

"I'm not some kind of computer expert"

"I don't need one of those fancy phones"

"Best part" is they ALL think they were the first person to come up with these lines and are so proud of themselves for it.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

In training/transition it is hammered into us that:
1) Always give the customer the benefit of the doubt.
2) We are all on the same team and don't dump stuff on others.

Bwwwwwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

So,

3) Forget rules 1) and 2) The second you start dealing with live customers?

FordPRefectLL posted:

If you guys think you get jerked around -- we do too.

it just slowly, painfully nibbles away at your very soul.

SeaborneClink posted:

You own the device once you pay off 100% of the financed cost.

Your $375 is just 50% of the phone, which enables you to "Edge Up" aka trade in that phone, Verizon forgives the remaining 50% of the financed cost, and you sign another finance agreement for $600+

The iPhones are already unlocked and will work with any domestic carrier, with some caveats about 4G LTE service.

All the 4G phones are unlocked, but there are some issues with not just 4G Bands, but some 3G bands as well.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know if its been posted in this thread before or not, but if you are still clinging to unlimited, or just want/need a spare cheap phone,

4G Prepaids work on post paid accounts with no issues.

Verizon is still having silly delusions that they can somehow control phones on their network like the CDMA only days, and will give you the normal "6 month wait for prepaid to post pay BS" But its simply not true. Plop in your sim and enjoy.

Good example is you can get horribly re-named Razr M (now called LUGE) for $50 brand new at Best buy right now.

• Locked thread