Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

FMguru posted:

it's too bad - simmons has written some great stuff, especially the Hyperion books, but after 9/11 he fell headfirst into islamofascism/eurabia paranoia like he had ten thousand posts on freerepublic. sad.

holy fuckin poo poo this is THAT dan simmons?! loved the hyperion series, guy literally wrote a sci fi epic based on the canterbury tales and featuring a lot of keats, and now he's writing glenn beck yiff fuel

goddamn thanks for ruining my night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

skip gaiman, read clive barker's weaveworld and immagica instead

quotin dis, been 25 years but iirc weaveworld was the best clive barker

homercles posted:

If you want something to read, start out here, work your way up or down, just skip 2010 holky gently caress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

I didn't know the hugo was named after hugo gernsback

first time I read about that guy was in william gibson's short story the gernsback continuum in burning chrome

pretty late to this thread but seriously has there been a better sci fi published since necromancer

edit: it's artless so hard to compare to neuromancer but vacuum diagrams by stephen baxter is about the best I've read in the past 25 years, endlessly imaginative, hard science, a conflict that spans the size and age of our universe etc, doesn't get any grander

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 4, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

abarat is garbage

wasn't that his attempt at sucking money from the harry potter/twilight market

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
holy poo poo, used to watch this when I was a kid

dad always liked princess ardala but I'm more of a colonel wilma deering man

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Omg Buck just roofied the princess :cool:

watched the whole thing

best parts were the kraftwerk-lite song at the big soiree and of course Colonel Wilma Deering

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
well to be fair she wasn't put on this earth to talk

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Deuterieux posted:

it stuck that way as a child and she somehow managed to work that into a career.

she had other assets too

ok that's enough ladypostin for me, thanks for the trip down mammary lane

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
so uh

all you dudes who went to see the new Snow White movie, in opening week, at the theatres

were you guys on dates with girls, or

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
watched prometheus again

literally everything in that movie is wrong, starting with the braveheart style theme at 5 seconds into the picture

goddamn what a disappointment, although scott's track record on director's cuts transforming a movie ala blade runner is excellent

edit: no even then it's hosed unless they remove everything to do with engineers

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 18, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

every body watch Black Mirror right the gently caress now

holy poo poo

the 2nd ep, 15 Million Merits, is basically the world that Google dreams about bringing to life

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Slumber, watcher, 'til the spheres,
six and twenty thousand years
have revolved, and I return
to the spot where now I burn.
Other stars anon shall rise
to the axis of the skies;
stars that soothe and stars that bless
with a sweet forgetfulness:
Only when my round is o'er
shall the past disturb thy door.

>25 years and I still remember it line for line

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ronald Raiden posted:

it's the lyrics to Allstar by smashmouth

:stare:

I remember it because we had to pick some poetry to memorize and recite for school, and one of the other dorks already chose The Raven, it just stuck in my head forever

lots of fond memories of reading those stories one summer at camp with a flashlight in my sleeping bag, I'd go back an reread them but they'd probably wither under my middle aged cynicism

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 21, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ahhh spiders posted:

haha drat, turns out u r a 90's kid after all :thumbsup:

eh that's from an hp lovecraft story from the 20s iirc

was it also featured in a pokemon episode or something

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

axolotl farmer posted:

Tarkovski - Stalker, Solaris. So pretty, so slow :allears:

I prefer clooney's solaris tbh, stalker is a masterpiece, read geoff dyer's zona if you agree

can't remember if it was kid lit or not but I remember one of the best fantasy series I ever read was The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Kavriel Kay

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
re enterprise I heard the 3rd season (one big arc) was good?

I tried watching the series premiere though and turned it off at the theme song

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

E2M3 posted:

i really wanted to like american gangster and matchstick men too but hated htem both

titanic i refuse to see so no comment

nice opinions mister carehard badtaste

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ian holm >>>>> fassbender on the android actor scale but fassbender was given poo poo to work with

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

that awful man posted:

i still can't believe that they're rebooting the spiderman series so soon.

I can't believe there isn't a spider man/batman/superman etc movie released every year like call of duty

moviegoers have proven they'll pay to watch any loving thing featuring super powers and big explosions

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
as soon as time travel enters a story universe, there's no point caring what happens anymore

with time travel, everything is possible and nothing is what it seems

major character dies? go back in time and save him

protagonist suffers big defeat at the hands of his enemies? go back in time and change history

time travel makes for great what-if stories but works much better as a one-off instead of a feature in a series with continuity, since the viewer has no need to invest themselves in the story with the giant time travel undo button lurking in the background

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shaggar posted:

there arent any 2 parters in s1 i dont think

except for literally the series premiere

come on son

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
just chiming in to say I saw iron maiden last week in toronto and they not only owned pretty hard but are a fairly sci-fi-ish band as evidenced by the many sci fi references in this classic album cover

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Chaka Make Tablet posted:

they're the perfect pinnacle of nerd cheese and totally enjoyable if you can suspend elitism long enough

taste != elitism, republican

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Heresiarch posted:

I re-watched Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" the other day and it holds up surprisingly well. I mean, it's not good

that's because it's great

seriously couldn't go near a mirror for two days after seeing that late one night as a kid

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
got a lot of travel coming up and loading up the phone with books for the road, comments and criticism on the following appreciated

china mieville - embassytown, kraken, the city and the city

iain banks - matter, surface detail

I like the mieville that I've read (the new crobuzon books) and for the most part I like banks' culture novels but some of them not as much as others

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Chaka Make Tablet posted:

the culture books all provide context for each other, but so far the best two, by far, are Use of Weapons and Excession. Excession is so good it beggars the rest of his work.

same

are any of his non culture books any good? I think I read wasp factory, if I did it didn't make much of an impression

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
if they ever make a high res kindle I might, until then I'll take my retina displays

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

text is infinitely more comfortable to read on eInk than lcd

I find it uncomfortable when I bleed from the eyes reading low contrast 80dpi text but ymmv

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
this was a p cool thread I'm gonna miss it when it gets gassed for seriousposts about vampires

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
someone posted this guy in the pics thread and I wanted to make sure it didn't get missed here

I had a great book by John Brunner shortly before he died called A Maze of Stars and it had this amazing cover, turns out it was by this dude

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I've been working out on an elliptical a lot lately and while I can read my ipad on it, I can't read anything too serious

need some recos for workout reading, I tried malazan but it was too hard to follow while sweating away

i liked dragonlance when I was a kid so I thought I'd try some old D&D novels like greyhawk or w/e because I still dont know who mordenkainen is

what's the least shameful old school D&D franchise to read? greyhawk, forgotten realms, eberron, dark sun, ravenloft, spelljammer, gamma world, star frontiers etc

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

ask yourself this: when the cute girl on the elliptical leans over and asks what youre reading, which series would embarrass you least?

holy poo poo no this is my machine at home, I wouldn't dare break these out in public

I'm not even sure I want them stored locally in case someone happens to pick up my ipad to see what I like reading

Stymie posted:

i really liked the fafhrd and grey mouser stories by fritz lieber and they were pretty light and easy reads

yeah I read those too back in the day, they were good stories

also john carter books

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Heresiarch posted:

all d&d "novels" are just extended versions of the horrible "game fiction" you find in modern pen-and-paper rpgs that they try to use to set the tone but 99% of the time are just laughably bad because gamers are awful people

if you read them you are bad person with severe taste problems

I liked dragonlance when I was a kid? iunno I thought it might be fun

at 5am I don't have the attention span for phonebook fantasy or hard sci fi

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

House Louse posted:

r e howard, hugh cook, clark ashton smith maybe

hey conan that's a good idea, never read those

also should read all the lovecrafts

are there any pulpy sci fi equivalents other than john carter

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
somewhere there must be scans of old vintage Amazing Stories and all that stuff from back in the day

or mags like Heavy Metal, Mad, Dragon that would be a nostalgia kick to flip through

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol all this reactionary poo poo means there's progress being made

"progress"

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ya the hugos were hilarious this year

on paper they're awarded by fan votes but they've been controlled by the same group for what 10 years now or more? this brain trust thinks they're helping preserve a bright future for sci fi by handing awards to the print version of tumblr fanfic, despite the fact that petabytes of that garbage are being churned out every day online for free

on the other side you have some genre authors who produce a different type of garbage but their work is demonstrably popular with fans as their sales prove, they feel they've been deliberately excluded from the awards for political reasons (obviously true) so they form a voting bloc completely within the rules to try and win a couple awards

just like gamergate the self-appointed gatekeepers lost their loving minds and decided to burn the whole thing to the ground instead of letting the outsiders win a single award, to the horror of GRRM and other nice old guys who think the Hugos were good ambassadors for sci fi (they were) and should have been saved instead

the result is the commercially successful outsiders go home without any awards, the winners with the right politics get lots of press and pats on the back before going back to being commercial non-entities (see Caitlyn Jenners new TV show that no one's watching), while the awards themselves lose even more prestige as they're revealed to be nothing more than a political pissing match to the huge number of regular sci fi readers who might actually use the hugos to inform their purchasing decisions

the whole thing owns and was 100% completely predictable, someone should have set up a book in vegas

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
oh ya another thing the hugos do is publicly release all their voting data which this year is hilarious, it's up on google docs if you care but tldr:

infernal machines posted:

the hugos are not now and have probably never been a good reference to guide your sci-fi purchases

it's a shame because sci fi amongst all literature really benefits from new developments in science

if you don't like sci fi you can happily spend the rest of your life reading Harold Bloom recommendations

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/harold-bloom-creates-a-massive-list-of-works-in-the-western-canon.html

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

it's millennials v boomers and the hugo committee knows which way the wind is blowing

the same way it's blowing with games, progressives patting themselves on the back for giving each other lots of press and awards while wondering where all the sales are

the system works

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

internaut is arguing that the most popular books ought to win best of awards though

Cnidaria posted:

internaut is suggesting that sales should be a factor in the awards

my posts are right there for everyone to see I didn't say anything like that

Heresiarch posted:

no because here i'm allowed to tell him that he's an offbrown shitstain without having to first muster up some kind of counterargument to whatever useless garbage he said

progressive

you guys can get mad at me for pointing out this stuff doesn't sell if you like even though I'm not creating or promoting it, I just enjoy seeing the gulf between critical darling and commercial success in games (and now sci fi) widening at light speed

invoke Michelin to convince yourself it's because the product has suddenly gotten dramatically superior if you like, that's even funnier

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

FMguru posted:

thats been suggested to them many times. there are two problems

1) that requires effort and organization, theyd rather just take over a preexisting institution where other people have already done the work and built the prestige
2) its not really about winning awards, its about taking something nice away from those stupid ess jay dubyas and making them cry

in this narrative, proud brown lesbian trans etc did the hard work of creating modern sci fi awards and old cis het white carpetbaggers are trying to steal it away from them

work this up into 1000 words and by tomorrow morning you could have a shiny byline from VICE and 50 cents in your pocket

• Locked thread