Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you don't mind me asking, why are all these mods so relatively recent? Wolf3d has been around forever, but even the oldest mod is from 95. Was it made open source around then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Woolie Wool posted:

I think a sort of comic book art style would go well with it, especially if they do some weird and creative gore effects like the guns melting people or something.
Reminds me of the first quake 2 mod I ever tried that did cell shading and it was cool as gently caress. Too bad the game wasn't...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nintendo Kid posted:

Wolf 3D only came out in 1992 3 years isn't that long. Also there were custom maps available starting in 1992, since the map format was very easy to reverse engineer. And the Wolf 3D map community is why the Doom engine has built-in support for loading external wads, to make things easier for modders (original wolf3d custom maps often required you to replace the original wolf3d files and keep a backup).
Jeeze, you're right. It just feels like a long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Geight posted:

If you want to stay vanilla but still use a WASD+Mouse setup, you should just turn off mouselook so that the mouse only moves your view horizontally, and leave the vertical auto-aim of Doom turned on. It's not common, but some WADs actually position enemies well outside of Doom's auto-aim range and balance the encounters around forcing the player to close that distance in order to attack those enemies.
That sounds like it would probably cause hella motion sickness like the first gen oculus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arivia posted:

Why would it? It's literally how Doom has always been played. You move and shoot like in modern fpses, you just don't have the ability to aim on the y axis.
The speed with which you can look around with a mouse is much higher than a keyboard though (I guess true keyboarders might jack this up) and could cause disorientation. I know it messes me up but I grew up with mouse look so ymmv I suppose.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

I didn't realise that Raven was 25 years old. Singularity is a great game, I think, highly underrated, I hope this means that they're being saved from doing nothing but Call of Duty map packs.
Surprised they've managed to last so long as that one company id farms stuff out to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah that gbs thread had me trying to replay it too and I'm struggling. Bullet sponge enemies, floaty controls, jumping "puzzles" galore. It's alright, but I wish I still had a pair of rose-tinted glasses to put on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

closeted republican posted:

One thing that sticks out in HL1 is the combat. It's not nearly as visceral as fighting a Skaarj and it lacks the satisfying factor that Quake 2, Unreal 1, and Sin's combat have. Even the human grunt AI isn't impressive when you learn that it turns into Quake 1-quality AI if you rush it or start chucking MP5 grenades and Satchels everywhere instead of standing back and using cover.

Not to mention the fact that it takes a full mag to kill pretty much anything. They really force shotgun usage on you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Commander Keenan posted:

There's a new version of the Outlaws installer on GOG. It fixes all the Glide issues.

http://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions/outlaws_handful_of_missions_has_been_updated
Do I have to redownload the whole game for this? Does anyone know where to change these options in the original release?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Commander Keenan posted:

If you're part of the Galaxy alpha, you can download just the modified files there. If not, run olcfg.exe from the game folder as admin, and turn off the "smooth" options in Advanced, and turn on "maintain all sprite directions".

Doh. Thank you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Captain_Red posted:

To the people who found the enemies in the original half-life 'bullet sponges', may I ask what difficulty you're playing it on? I always found the amount of damage enemies took before dying felt right when I played on normal, but a bit on the silly side if I bumped it up to hard, and as far as I can tell enemy hit points ins the only thing changed be difficulty settings (I've never taken the time to conform this by poking about in the code or wikis or whatever).
Easy.

Evidently enemy health doesn't change. Still takes almost-full mags/dual shotgun blasts for aliens and soldiers. Headcrabs take three hand gun rounds, etc.

closeted republican posted:

Here's some surprising news: Fortress Forever, the TFC remake with the worst timing, is launching on Steam tomorrow.
Good I remember loving tfc and always full servers, but no one wanted to play fortress forever, only tf2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

It could be something like how Nerve made Doom 2 levels for the Doom 3 BFG, but I don't know what they could attach them to.

Duke for android

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's super cool about it that I should try this over other source ports?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh okay, I guess this is a bigger deal than I thought!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, thanks for pointing this out, didn't think to look for a Mac port. I've been looking for some old games to play on my lovely old macbook and I've never actually played Wolf3D so this should be interesting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kazvall posted:

Rainbow tacticool wolf3d is my favorite wolf.

lol what is that?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Personally, I LOVE finally having an automap in Wolf3D. The engine limitations make everything look so samey that it's hard to have landmarks.
Good point, might play the tc instead then. How buggy is it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Might have to play the tc (in my Mac partition) anyways because ecwolf didn't add the necessary folders and isn't reading the one I made. Or maybe I'll just have to play in bootcamp :/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can you guys not gamergate up this nice thread? Please?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, it seriously took me until watching cyraptor's Duke lp to realize that you basically need the quick medkit button assigned to your mouse or somewhere quick because of how often you should be using it.

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 6, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Starhawk64 posted:

At least Duke stepped up to the plate to stop those alien bastards. By the time Duke3d starts, everyone save for a few stray hookers has evacuated and the aliens act like they own the place.

Of course Duke would be treated as a godking of mankind afterwards, he basically took on an alien invasion solo and WON.
And before 3d he fought them twice before and won. I think he earns the right to think of himself as badass.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, most of Voxelstein 3D's quirks come from letting you really play with the voxels. If they simply restricted the gameplay to being a Wolf3D clone using voxels for rendering it would probably play pretty well and without any major quirks. Letting you tunnel through walls or dig away at the pixels that make up a lamp or a bookshelf is what makes it quirky.

Half of the fun of having a voxel environment is letting you blow holes in walls, though.
Voxelstein sounds like Super Wolfenstein HD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never owned one but I remember that thing being weird in that it had games you'd never expect on it like resident evil 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man I wish I knew about these games as a kid, probably woulda played the poo poo outta them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Another osx user here, I'll definitely be giving this a whirl. Thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uh oh. Looks like it only works if you have 10.10 installed which means I'm out. Thanks though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

horse mans posted:

Don't be out! The whole point of this is to tweak this until it works for as many people as possible. I've fixed the build so it should work for everyone on 10.5 and up, and updated the URL above.
Thanks, boots up now!

I gotta wait til later to actually play with it though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is there a good mod manager for gzdoom like what exists for the oblivion/fallout games?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll give it a look, thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hey except for that stupid siren sound that gun was cool to 8yo me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Pretty interesting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Boy howdy, it sure would be great if these mods that are based off of cross-platform games were, themselves, cross-platform (Goldeneye: Source! :argh:)

Wow, people still play GoldenEye? Thought it was dead.

Unrelated, but has anyone with a win7 machine had any trouble getting Tron 2.0 to play? I installed my old copy, but as soon as the intro movie plays the drat thing locks up no matter what compatibility/administrator settings I have on. Honestly I'm not even sure what the problem is because I have other q3 engine games running just fine.

E: also

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47801&start=360

First beta of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony is out. Been playing it a bit. It's pretty good, the devs really put some effort into it. It would have been nice if they somehow made the player slightly shorter, because right now you tower like a foot over everyone, but I like to think it's juts because BJ is a big guy.

Haven't finished but this was fun from what I played of it. There's another mod linked in that thread of a mood that replaces doom enemies with Nazis that's pretty cool too.

site fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 5, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

It's Lithtech son

From googling around a bit there appears to be a fan patch floating out there that will add widescreen support and presumably work on modern machines.

You're right, my bad.

I have tried with and without the patch, which is part of why I thought it might be a win7 issue. Maybe it just isn't meant to be :/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Is it? :ohdear: Sorry if that's the case. To be fair, a lot of my questions are regarding "How do I play X on a mac?" when I know that it's possible. I completely get how there are some games just not ported to OS X; it bugs me how a game like Half-Life, which is platform agnostic, has no mods that are.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Mac and answers to your questions help me out too :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe is just the wads I've been trying but one thing I have noticed is that when loading multiple wads at once, if more than one has an option menu only one shows up. Like, if you have SmoothDoom and DoomRPG, only the menu for RPG will appear in the Options screen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Thinking about Daikatana always reminds me of Perfect Dark 64, since they were both featured in an issue of Nintendo Power. I remember being extremely hyped for PD, and then looking at Daikatana, wondering who in the hell would be excited for this, when they have the spiritual sequel to Goldeneye about to be released with something like 142 new features?

Still going to play Daikatana someday, though.

PD, now there's a classic FPS. Too bad the port is only on xbox :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It would be nice to just get a port of the XBLA rerelease for the SP, though.

This. Playing the 64 version on an emulator is still (for me) pretty wonky framerate and control-wise and the graphics aren't as good.

Ball Cupper posted:

Daikatana is a great Gameboy Colour game

lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DoombatINC posted:

Tribes Ascend but not Tribes 2, Far Cry 2 in the top ten, Rage on the list at all, man it just doesn't pay to even look at these lovely lists for laughs :(

Tribes 1 didn't make the cut either wtf

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doom 2:CoD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly, I'd like to see those videos. Looks like they put a lot of work into it. I'd be interested in seeing what the plot was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vakal posted:

If those screenshots would have been for a Hellgate: London reboot instead of a Doom game, I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

Man, I was just about to post about Hellgate lol

That's actually why I was thinking the Apocalypse story would work.