Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

a retard posted:

A protip for anyone just getting into JK2/Academy: when you get the lightsaber go into the console and put in g_saberrealisticcombat 1. Makes the game a thousand times better.

This, but type g_saberrealisticcombat 3000 instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm playing daikatana on a windows 8.1 through steam and it keeps crashing when i enter new maps, or at some point my saves get corrupted or something.
Is there a way to make this unstable piece of crap uh more stable?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Elliotw2 posted:

You patched up to 1.3 already, right?

Thanks man! will check if this works out!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I played it and hated it!!! The military was poo poo they spent a million years building this poo poo and half life 1 is still miles better.

Like who looks at the old wonderful gems of days past and says: "we need to port this poo poo to the underwhelming rear end source engine. Also make the military kill you in a second please!"

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

The Kins posted:

They actually made a big point of fixing the marines in the new version, apparently - they recoded the AI so that they're no longer aimbot machines and actually use grenades, and bought in one of the guys from another Source game, Insurgency, to give them better VO.

Oh! Okay then, because the military aimbot guys where basically my only substantial critiscism apart from jump height.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
That was the worst list in human history. Only thing on point was having stalker shoc and far cry 2 high up on the list. Quake should of course be on the top 3.

[Edit] How can a website with so much pretension know so little about video games?????

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Keiya posted:

I need to play Deus Ex some time... I also need to get around to System Shock 2...

Oh my god yes those are some nugget of gold in the endless sea of lovely video games. System shock 2 is actually creepy and atmospheric. I even think it gets better with age since it the lost to time theme works well with the lonelyness of space. I played it for the first time a year ago and it still held up. Depends on your tolerance for lovely graphics. The interface design is solid as gently caress and when you adapt to it, it feels very natural and free. Just make sure you rebind the controls.

Deus ex is great but takes a while to get going. Its interesting all the way through.

Both games have good level design and stat mechanics. The shooting in both of them is servicable, almost bad. Later on you turn into a total demigod by middle to late game. Good poo poo

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Segmentation Fault posted:

the first time you find sandra renton she's getting raped by jojo fine
dude noooo dont make me laugh at rape jokes.

I played deus ex and ss2 for their first times quite recently and I don't think they need any mods. I do have a very high tolerance for awful 1995-2000 era graphics though so YMMV

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
After some guy earlier in the thread told some other guy about quakespasm I set it up myself. Quake 1 for the first time in my life woop!
This game is impressively barebones. It's fun and good and eh, level design is good? It's hard to describe but I really get the potential shining through this game. The verticality is wonderful, it kinda sucks that fps didn't evolve into even more abstract and weird levels like this. Ziggurat Vertigo was bloody amazing and most of all levels have a part where they give me this feel. Like it gives me a sense of place, like the architecture actually came from someone reading about architecture and not a million nerds doing their best to find the right balance between vaseline blur and tesselation inside a video game corridor. I like it!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Are the mission packs for Quake any good? I just beat Quake and it was good but short and I need more... :unsmigghh:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

closeted republican posted:

The first one is awesome because it has some really good map design. The second one's map design is worse because of mediocre map design, but has fun multi-rocket/grenade weapons to use.

Cool!

In other Quake news: here is a thing called Quake Injector. Choose among 900+ user made single player maps, press install then play.
https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Segmentation Fault posted:

imo that's the right quake port

I use quakespasm and it works perfectly, even with the quake injector i posted earlier.

Goddamn scourge of armagon is great. Some really good level design in here. The teleporter with lightning-pentagram at the end of episode 1 was particularly inspired.

It's obvious how much the level designers loved the newfangled ability of rotating brushes. The lost mine was great for that.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Heavy_D posted:

Quake screenshot hype of the day...

Courtesy of MFX.

drat!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

newmans_owned posted:

idk about you guys but i play thief gold with only gameplay and display resolution improvements from tfix. i keep the graphics as-is because i wanna preserve that early dark engine feeling

Yes! Exactly! because the blocky environments coupled with th sound direction brings an amazing athmosphere! I would never trade that immersion for any newer hd remake ever. Same with deus ex too. I don't understand why hd remakes are necessary when the games (thief gold in particular) are almost timeless. sure the papier maché-like watchguards look wacky but there is more going on in thief than blocky polygons. The athmosphere is dense and the game brings out a feel that have yet to be replicated. It's one of my favourite games ever, not in spite of the blocky graphics but because of them.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

The thing about these early engine games is that visual technology has advanced so, so far in the last 20 years, but sound design really hasn't and overall composition technique and direction hasn't really gone anywhere. Doom has a brilliant soundtrack and some pretty good sound effects and a cool atmosphere overall, and that makes up for the low fidelity of the graphics, because imagination can fill in those details just fine. Conversely, you can have really amazing visual fidelity, but if you're sloppy on the scoring and sound effects and you have crappy direction then the game is going to be bland no matter how many polygons you throw in. One modern game that has absolutely phenomenal direction and atmosphere is Bloodborne, and that's a game that is so rooted in tiny details that at a lower graphical quality it actually wouldn't work as well. Modern games can still succeed through immensely thick levels of atmosphere, but they have to actually put the :effort: in them to get there.

Actually, bringing up Bloodborne (and From Software), one game that I actually think proves the opposite of this is Dark Souls. Dark Souls is, to me, a singularly hideous game. I hate how it looks. It's a fine game, I like it a lot, but it's such an ugly mish-mash of environments and visual styles and moods and they don't really mesh together well to me at all, even though it's a perfectly competently made game. To me, that's probably the chief modern example of how graphics don't make the game.

Oh I totally agree, but I do think that dark souls is a beautiful game with all the impressive vistas. Demons souls has better color design though, and that makes the athmosphere even better than in dark souls.

The dark engine was apparently a clusterfuck of a level design environment, where you subtracted small cubes from a larger cube instead of building a bunch of cubes from the ground up. Basically you start with a big cube and then carve out the level within the cube. I think that is very interesting, and it probably impacted the level design in meaningful ways. The levels are claustrophobic and wonky, there are seldom any perfect symmetri in the game (unlike skyrims perfect prefab-rooms dungeons), and I think it worls to the game's benefit.

Nowadays you build a room and spend the rest of the time in 3ds max, building debris and chairs and what not. The incredible detail of these things makes it hard to decide where clipping ends and where it starts, and the result is drastically reduced freedom pf movement. There are many factors involved of course, but ill take sparse geometri-like levels made in gtkradiant any day over some over designed mess with barely any vertical movement like call of duty.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Castor Poe posted:

Do you guys recommend Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Hell yeah, three things to remember though:
1. The start is pretty bland and you ask yourself: "will there ever be another full auto rifle than the mp40?" Yes, many MANY more options, have faith.
2. Always aim for the head
3. Grenades are poo poo except for when ypu venture down into the catacombs, where you life will become infinitely easier if you pretty much use grenades as your primary weapon.
4. The flamethrower is great.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Yeah!!! gently caress giving the player options! What if the level designer controlled which guns the player should use by placing calculated amounts of ammo throughout the level? Nah thats too confusing.

Everybody loved that corridor in singularity when you had the Badass Gun That Lets You Control The Bullet. That poo poo didnt get old after the 20th enemy not at all. Luckily we never got to use it outside of that corridor!!! gently caress weapon variety

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 23, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Undying! What a lovely game! There is just something so wonderfully athmospheric about it. It's not scary in any way, and the ending levels really dropped the ball (in typical trashy horror-media fashion). The spells are great fun to use and there are lots of diverse fun weapons and fun enemies. And lots of weird places you go through in the game. I recently finished a scythe (from the point you get it) and spells only, no healthpacks playthrough, which sucked but was perfectly doable.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

JackMackerel posted:

It particularly stokes my irrational, immature pit of useless nerd rage that Machine Games have repeatedly stated they loving hate everything about 09 and don't want anything to do with it.

Wow. That is low. poo poo more on Raven Software please. They only made the best game in the world (jedi outcast) and tons of solid shootery shooters. Machine games can suck my rear end. Im happy I never played the new wolfensteins.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey thread, I have a specific request regarding old school fps games/mods.

I watched this video about interesting single player Half Life 1 mods and really enjoyed the Timeline series. Those three mods feature my favorite thing in fps games:
Big vistas, where the level is almost like a painting. The sunspire level in unreal comes to mind as a good example (as does the entire soulsborne series).
The concept is that some level designers do the world first and THEN fill in the space, instead of constructing a roller coster ride. Like a big building is first constructed, then all the corridors are put into it and the level twists around itself in interesting ways.
There is something so completely immersive in exploring a big, handcrafted map. Contenders for this are of course the Thief series, deus ex and to some extent the Stalker series.
System shock 2 and FEAR are incredible games but they are mostly just corridors, so they don't fit this mold. Skyrim and Far Cry 3 are not interesting since there is so much copy/paste and blandness to the worlds. I want proper levels.

Problem for me is that it's kinda hard to google for these things. Do you know any games or mod to games out there that are like this? Grand level design, enter a large building, run around and all of a sudden you're on the roof looking back at the start, levels that loop back.
I'm looking for games and mods with levels where the macro perspective was first made (building, mountain, town, pyramid), THEN the micro perspective (exit, corridors, encounters, shortcuts and so on).

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Lork posted:

Well, the first two things I was going to recommend were Unreal and Dark Souls, so, uh... At least you can be assured that I know exactly what you're talking about when I say that there's not much else out there but you might try King's Field 4, Ultima Underworld, the original System Shock, or MINERVA for Half-Life 2.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot! It's kind of a love it or hate it thing, but I have real soft spot for the Cheogsh series for Doom, which exhibit the qualities you desire to a certain degree. It's worth a try at any rate.

Thanks! It's such a shame that so few games are designed in this way, since it's such a satisfying approach to level design.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

NoneMoreNegative posted:

When you get to the level where you get your lightsaber, pick it up and then take a break if you can - you think: ok, time to chop some dudes; you get: a level full of pretty much one-hit-kill snipers directly afterwards. Man gently caress that level, I played it the first time around and it's just annoyed me all over again :mad:

thats jedi outcast, aka the greatest game of all time. I think this guy is talking about jedi knight dark forces 2 though.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

(the author has a history of garbage arguments)

Lmao. Thats worse than 9/11. A different game made in a completely different game engine with completely different design goals and balancing is somehow the same according to these superficial qualifiers.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Chex quest is closer to doom than do4m. Im not saying do4m will be bad or whatever but christ what an rear end in a top hat. Please someone bait him into comparing chex quest and do4m

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
No you see 12 heroes nurturing their passion project during the golden days of gaming is exactly the same as a dystopian gray corporation known for their bland garbage whipping their drones to churn out a game based on maximizing revenues and then fleecing the customers with contentless depressing dlc, because both heroes look like master chief!!!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Arivia posted:

Is current id the UAC and the id where Carmack killed a cat Hell breaking loose?

Id died when john romero left and romero is the last true american hero left on the planet, his legacy will stand beside the greats like ernest hemingway.

Carmack was a hero too but he fell to the dark side.

Romero is basically doom guy.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat gay. And not in a homophobic way, just so very gay. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning gay.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm kinda cool with that but he just dives into an interesting subject and then doesnt expand on it at all, instead he uses it as a way to come up with alitterations. Masters of doom exists, just copy the info off that book and you have a solid video. He spent 30 minutes explaining how the guns work... He could easily have analysed how the gameplay differs from doom but nooo, gotta get those nifty sentences in about the shotgun.

His presentation is good but my god, there is just nothing there!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Stephen king once said: "kill your darling". If Ahoy thinks his alitterations makes him sound smart, he doesn't actually know anything about writing scripts, or writing anything at all. Gamers are the worst.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

I just think his vocabulary is part of his gimmick, as a way to sound more "serious". I notice it everytime but he puts out great content that's leagues above the usual youtube crap so :shrug:

I think errant signal is way better anyway, but that guy has probably actually taken one course in literature or film science. Ahoy doesnt ever analyze anything, there is literally no depth to his videos. I dont get how you can call his poo poo leagues above anything at all.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

I didn't know errant signal, it doesn't look bad either. I guess I'm not really looking for analysis on my background noise video games videos, and I like the effort ahoy puts into his graphics and animations.

Okay thats fair and I get it. His voice and presentation is great as I said, and thats definitely enough for background noise videos.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

Ok, people have complained that his videos have no 'depth' before, but I find a real eye-roller since its 60 minute long youtube video that's attempting to look at everything considered important about one of the premier video games in history. From the modding, to the technical sophistication, the notoriously complex background to the game, to the effects of Id's previous games on the product, to the beginnings of serious online multiplayer, the ports of the game to other systems, the effects of the game on the company, the future of Id and the people who worked there and the legacy in so many FPS games since. Obviously its not going to have much new info for the denizens of this thread where everyone's played the games to death, people regularly post features from two decade old gaming magazines, Masters of Doom is almost required reading and the ins and outs of development for companies like Id or 3D realms are regularly discussed.

And also he does analyse how the gameplay differs from Doom, especially as it relates to the technical limitations that restricted things like the amount of enemies you can have on screen at once. If this was an episode of some TV show documentary about video games for people who may be interested but not knowledgeable about the subject I guarantee nobody here would have a complaint.

And his language is not flowery at all, come on. If you really somebody who got a thesaurus beside him when he makes videos watch this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8QAFqAAJ8

I honestly don't know what to say. Its a quake video. Its not gonna be a gigantic sisyphosean task to write a tight script about that subject and lol, just lol to what you consider to be his gameplay analysis. Its literally exactly what you wrote in two sentences, only he did it in 10 minutes with no further analysis than what you wrote.

Oh he is flowery in his script, I don't know what weapons-grade resistance you have to overly purple prose but you could probably read old romantic knight tales from the 1200's with that kind of defense going on.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Curdy you need to relax, brother.

Ok but quake deserves well made videos dammit. Game development is interesting! I'm gonna go lie down now.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

closeted republican posted:

Quake 1's single player is really great, despite it's obviously haphazard development.

I disagree, I think the haphazard development actually worked in favor for Quakes unique feel.

It doesn't make much sense but that's a good thing, the world is all over the place yet strangely consistent.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Keiya posted:

Rule of thumb: If you could replace 'gay' with 'friend of the family' and it'd be an insult to black people, it's in a homophobic way. Like this.

Soothing voice rambling contentlessly about nothing is way above most of youtube. He could talk about what he had for breakfast for an hour and it'd still be better than most of Youtube.

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat friend of the family. And not in a racist way, just so very friend of the family. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning friend of the family.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Replace gay with "big thick juicy dude" now

I'm kinda ashamed of that post by now though.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

surrender posted:

I just beat Doom 3 and it's a pretty good Dead Space game

I played it for the first time about a year ago and I can't remember a single part of that game, besides the super turbo turkey puncher 3. But no actual room or set piece or boss, its fine but so very unmemorable

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Deus Ex gives massive immersion through exploration. There is almost always a cost/reward element to the exploration, like "do i want to use 2 lockpicks to open that safe"
or "I want to get into this room but two enemies are blocking it, what tools/weapons can I use to get through".
You scout, make a plan then execute it and make sure you have a plan b for escape.

Watch an lp of the first level of the game, Liberty Island (preferrably good player, use http://www.lparchive.org for goon LPers), to get a feel for how the game is supposed to be played, and then start your own game and make yourself effective enough at killing (this is easier than you might think at first) to be able to think "hmm what happens if I gently caress with the game?", and then go forth and gently caress with the game, Deus Ex really likes it when you break imposed rules, which is incredibly immersive and fun.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Samuel Clemens posted:

Deus Ex is inarguably great, but it's no System Shock 2.

I think the exact opposite. Ss2 is fantastic, but it sure is one techno dungeon crawler with no open spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

catlord posted:

I absolutely adore SS2, which is why the fact that Deus Ex hasn't clicked with me yet is so confusing to me.

This is absolutely right, and I can tell it when I'm playing it, but that click just never hits. It's been a while since I last tried, what's the ideal setup for somebody who's on their... fourth attempt at a first playthrough? I remember grabbing the new renderers and a new launcher, should I just do that again?

Just watch a competent LP up to hells kitchen and if your fingers arent itching to discover all of the game's secrets then you can safely move on.