Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Minidust posted:

I just tried out "Smooth Doom." Is "Smooth Weapons" included in that or is it something different?
Also got the high quality SFX.

And a more general question - will those kinds of mods not work (or be necessary to begin with) in something with a lot of unique assets, like Reelism?
Yep the SmoothDoom.pk3 is everything, the weapons and monsters versions are for people who want just one or the other. I love a lot of the stuff SmoothDoom includes in the options menu too, like the extra death animations. Another nice subtle thing like the sfx one is the sc-55 music pack over here: https://sc55.duke4.net/games.php

I'm not sure how compatibility goes for mods that change a lot. If they're using the standard sprites/animations and sounds, then it should work. Works for most of the popular vanilla style WADs at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

Nah I'm right there with you, that would be rad.
In addition to difficulty settings, the game should have a "game" setting, where we pick how much game Duke has.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

People have touched on it, but the actual comic's name is Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard.
Fun stuff, also it came out around DNF, so I don't think it was related to Duke Nukem trilogy. DNF also came with another cool little comic, Balls of Steel edition anyway.

Plus Duke had another time travel game on Playstation, just for the record. Zero Hour had better gameplay, Time to Kill has better one liners.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

closeted republican posted:

All of the Quake 1 love I've been seeing lately has made me so happy. :unsmith: That game has been really underapprciated for a very long time. I'm hoping this encourages some Doom mappers to dabble with Quake 1 mapping because you can do a lot of cool stuff with it.
Gotta love Quake. I'd put it in the top ten single-player FPS games ever. I was a Quake 2 DM guy myself, but Quake's single-player is eighty million times better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I concur, my preference for all FPS source ports is openGL mode, but with good ol' pixels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Part of that is rose colored glasses (NEAREST_NEIGHBOR mapping gives you that PS1-era shifty pixels look that's "classic") and nostalgia, it reminds you of old Quake but it doesn't necessarily look better. Its just what you're used to.
It's just personal preference, I prefer seeing the art rather than a blurred version of it. Nothing to do with rose colored glasses. Even more so in games with sprite enemies, the blurred Doom and Duke3D monsters make that mode not even an option for me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yeah, by Half-Life I always preferred GL mode. Even Quake2 I didn't mind the blurriness, plus the textures weren't much to look at anyway.

Also actually, in Quake I don't really mind that much either way. I've been playing a lot of Doom lately, that's one where I'm more especially into the pixels. I do prefer the pixelly art a little bit in Quake 1 though, but it looks fine smoothed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dominic White posted:

I don't really think so. At high resolution, with mipmapping and AA/AF, I think it retains the sharpness of the textures while still looking good in motion. I do run it with just about every other possible modern upgrade cranked to full - the only thing I disable is the bilinear filtering.
Is there a page with all quakespasm video commands and whatnot? The readme and site only seem to list version changes. Would be cool if they included this in the menus like GZDoom does. I haven't messed with anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering in Quakespasm, are they on by default? Or if you want just post your favorite console changes to make and I'll give them a whirl.

GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR is the only one I use at the moment, and I think maxfps. I found this page of FitzQuake settings anyway.

I see gl_texture_anisotropy is 1 by default, not seeing the anti-aliasing setting.

And do you know if you can change the crosshair size in quakespasm? Probably not, would be cool though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dominic White posted:

You need to manually turn on AA/AF - they're not menu options yet, sadly. Here's my Quakespasm settings.
Thanks muchly, awesome. scr_crosshairscale 2 and boom I'm good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

Really late reply, but
For Blood, pretty much all your health comes straight from enemies you kill. So, y'know, kill a lot.

There's a bit of a bug with savegames, apparently, where loading one inverts the difficulty you were playing on - playing on Very Easy inverts to Very Hard, playing on Very Hard inverts to Very Easy, etc. Enemies actually gain health on higher difficulties, so that might be part of your "weapons seem weak" issue. I'm not entirely sure of the specifics of this, though.

The other part is that you're probably not using dynamite enough. Use dynamite more. In fact, just use dynamite exclusively, it's basically the most satisfying weapon anyway.
More details on that savegame bug. If you're not playing on setting 3 (Lightly Broiled). After loading on setting 2 (Pink on the inside) you'll take say 27 hp damage when you were supposed to take 15 hp, etc. So there are no easier difficulty settings in that game.

Except for some reason you take the least damage on Extra Crispy, but it's really hard anyway. Detailed over on the gog forum. I do think it's a shame they never fixed that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Scourge of Armagon for Quake 1 rules, however. On par with the main game in my book, and I played it for the first time quite recently, via recommendation in this thread.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I notice the map that's from has about 4 stars on idgames, like every map in the history of idgames.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm feeling the urge to lay some :qqsay: on how Black Mesa screwed up in balancing their little slice of the scource engine. Anyone mind/call dibs/sick of :qqsay:

Half life was my first serious FPS by the by, I went through it with the content lock on and I still remember all the stumbling blocks and screw-ups that I encountered along the way. It is always unpleasant to see hacks butcher something dear to your youth.
Go for it I say. I thought it started well, but didn't dig the feel of the combat and got bored of it in the middle. I think I recall enemies shooting me from way further away than I would have liked. I did try it right when it was first released for free though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 27, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

I think a mixture of Doom's and Quake's would probably be ideal.
Also depends on the setting and tone you're going for. But even just gameplay wise, I'd put the Duke 3D enemies right up there. The teleporting liztrooper is pretty cool, also the jetpack liztroopers, in general they're more fun to fight than zombiemen for cannon fodder enemies. I'll take an Octabrain over a Cacodemon, etc.

The lost souls should take less hits to kill, but that's more of a gameplay thing. Not really a fan of the lost souls in general though, that's a point off. Still, agreed those games have some of the best sets of enemies ever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

I'll played some more black mesa source, and I'll lay some more black mesa :words: on the thread when I can stop typing "UNCEASING TORRENT OF EXCREMENT POURED DOWN THE THROAT OF THE PLAYER" over and over again.

The ambush at the end of Questionable Ethics kicked my rear end 8 times in a row, and Surface Tension was not an enjoyable experience. Marine Murder Mayhem might be a more accurate title for that particular chapter.
Why do we do this to ourselves. :wal: I'm sure it only gets worse. :stat:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quake looks pretty fine to me. (e2m2 Ogre Citadel)

Geight posted:

I do kinda wish someone would take a swing at Quake's art style using modern-day graphical technology, because it was a really cool mishmash of gothic/tech/interdimensional horror stuff.
Agreed, would be fun to see id make a new crazy Lovecraftian madness Quake game after the new Doom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

closeted republican posted:

Some more Quake 1 map mini-reviews:
Thanks for all the reviews! Keeping my quakeinjector busy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

Ooh, Full Moon, I love those guys. I wish they'd tried more games, that'd be... well, probably not good, they don't spend that much on their movies and I doubt games would be any different (I mean, they did use the Pie in The Sky engine...), but a Subspecies game would be awesome.
Tim Thomerson voicing the protagonist in an FPS game would be the greatest, what a classic badass that guy is. Dollman vs Demonic Toys vs Demons and Aliens, greenlight this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

jimmy boag posted:

I started working on a map for GZDoom a couple of days ago with almost exactly that aesthetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7GtqULi5c
I dig it! Dare I say, groooovy. Or maybe rad is more apropos.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah I like Human Revolution quite a bit but I'd be lying if I said it was a worthy successor. It feels too constrictive to really be considered an immersive sim to me. Let's...let's not talk about Thief 4...

B-b-but John Romero is how we got Deus Ex in the first place :smith:

I love Thief 4. Underrated in my book. The crazy labyrinth-esque design of the city felt so fun to mess around in, very 90s compared to the more "just design a real place" type of stuff you see today. Shooting a rope arrow to climb up and around and drop down into some weird alley to get through a crack to another part of town etc, I give that crazy city 10 stars out of 10.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have my left monitor set to portrait for work, and I have been trying to play Doom at work.

I've never thought of playing a game in a portrait "tall mode", but that seems like an interesting thought I had reading this. It wouldn't be very useful compared to 16:9, but it would be different. I've also never played a game with multiple monitors, would be interesting to have Doom with super wideness across two monitors. My second monitor is my TV on the other side of the room, so I couldn't really do that kind of fancy stuff. (edit: this was quoted in a more recent post, woops necro-replying here)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If you're looking for a good two-level wad set in a nicely detailed graveyard for Doom 2, here it is! I just played it recently, fun stuff. Called Curst. http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/curst.html

And here's a couple of the better Duke3D maps I've played lately. Mean Streets (http://www.mediafire.com/download/rk3z86czbzxzyov/meanstreets.zip)(also on steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245638170&searchtext=),

also Crucial Conflict 3 (http://dnr.duke4.net/maps/Crucial_Conflict:_3_-_Acupa_Dylana.html) and Another Timeless Night. http://msdn.duke4.net/hottimeless.php

Been playing tons and tons of Doom and Duke maps lately, there's so many to choose from! [I'll also throw in Restless Resort by the author of Crucial Conflict 3]

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

bioshock infinite is amazingly bad and made me miss bioshock 1 (and 2, which honestly had more improved gameplay in basically every way)

having a lot of weapons at my disposal was fun, and taking that away only to replace it with a limited system where even basically every weapon sucked was horrible
Infinite is easily the best in the series in my book. But I thought the first was a little overrated. One of the best FPS games in years for me. Perhaps embarrassingly, I have a full size poster on my wall.

And Doom (4) looks very promising, though we haven't seen too much of the single player. What little we've seen seems Doomy enough to be a very respectable sequel. We have Cacodemons floating around, Revenants, run and gun gameplay, no modern cover malarkey etc, I'm pumped. I wouldn't judge it's Doomyness by the multiplayer, which is outsourced and not by id anyway. Though looks fun in it's own right.

Also don't forget to get pumped for the Bombshell tie-in FPS shareware made on the Duke 3D engine (eduke32 version).

(edit: Speaking of Bioshock and Doom, did you know a level designer from Bioshock recreated an area of the game as a Doom 2 level? Pretty cool http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/arcadia)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 22, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

Yeah I don't even like Brutal Doom and it's still way more creative and interesting than what I have seen of Doom 4

Well, the majority of the time in Brutal Doom you're playing in well designed levels (such as the original Doom levels), and you haven't really seen any of the Doom 4 levels...

Woolie Wool posted:

Why indeed? Doom II, Final Doom, and /idgames/ already exist, the world does not need a Doom 4. :colbert:

E: I'm serious, Doom 4 should never have existed. Considering how Doom II and Final Doom are more like expansions than separate games, Doom is really a singular entity, a finished work, it stands by itself without need of sequels. There's really something to be said about a game that just stands on its own without having to be part of some big stupid franchise. Why can't Doom just be Doom?

I never get this kind of thing. The two don't conflict with eachother, much like how Doom 3 didn't conflict with Doom 2. Id giving us a new take on Doom, and lots of fans giving us their take on Doom 2 maps, the more the merrier. And this even comes with that SnapMap thingy which could be fun. Though not a replacement for DoomBuilder by any means.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 23, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like SmoothDoom and the optional Doom64 shotgun. And gotta love the pk_doom_sfx_20120224 improved sounds and SC55 music. And use ZDL everybody. And getting shot in the face is good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

Because Vanquish sold like four copies and the concept of FPS Parkour has been forever tainted by Brink.

And Vanquish is cover shooter, has some Gears of War in it's DNA... which is in my humble opinion the worst kind of shooter imaginable. Just dull. Sitting behind a short wall simulator.

I'm not sure why we'd want Doom to play like that, I'll have what id's cooking thank you very much.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

uncleKitchener posted:

You didn't actually play Vanquish, did you? The game penalizes you for actually staying in cover and not being on the go. Isn't that what made Doom fun?

I did have Vanquish. The game has lots of little cover thingies a'la Gears of War, and you're expected to check back in to the ol' cover periodically. You just got to powerslide around and whatnot between spots where you hide and shoot at people. It's a twist on the cover shooter genre I guess, but it is part of it. I didn't make it up or something. As I recall if you tried to never use cover, it wouldn't go well. Not a run and gun game in the Doom mold in my opinion.

But hey I can dig that you're saying you like one game, and you'd like another game to have stuff you like from it. In that vein. Random note, I love that Doom finally has a jump button. Though the classic Doom levels often made use of vertical aspects and run jumping. One thing I'd like to see is a decent amount of traversing around with some platforming/jump puzzles to some degree. And just put teleporters at the bottom to put you back up if you mess up.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

uncleKitchener posted:

Doom 4 looks like a game that I've already played many many times over and I've already have my library of fun FPSs.

Not to sound like a broken record from a page or so ago, but we've barely seen any of the single-player game. I'd like to see or play a good ten minutes somewhere past the cinematic tutorial where you first get the shotgun etc. What are the levels like, how's the flow? We don't know yet. But my vibe based on how they've described it and talked about it is very positive, and I like what we've seen so far.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Who are you trying to convince?

I'm trying to convince Bathtub Cheese that... I'd enjoy watching some gameplay of game Doom (2016) by id to see how the levels are. That's my thing.

I just see a lot of negativity towards the game, but it seems to mostly be assumptions. At least when talking about id's game. Certain Affinity's multiplayer component has the alpha to go on anyway. We can be optimistic or pessimistic, it's all good, I just don't quite know where the negativity for the game we've barely seen is coming from.

For example the important questions. Will be find a red skull key to open a door? Or, is it Half-Life 2 modern style, where we gather gave five skulls to fill a bucket that pulls a pulley to release a demonbird from a cage to fly through a hole which opens the door.

They scrapped the Call of Doom version of the game years back, so we probably won't just watch a cutscene where you open the door at least. The most hilarious was Killzone 3, where there was a quick cutscene for any action other than walking in a straight line. There was probably a cutscene for half the doors in the game, hell maybe half the stairs too.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

Duke Nukem: attrition updated, if anyone cares. :geno:

Sadly the Duke choked to death on old George's jockstrap a long time ago. :negative:

What in Zeus's name are you talking about, Duke is second only to Doom in having tons of great user content to this day. As you know since you just posted about it. Duke is alive and well! Always bet on Duke. Always fuckin bet on Duke motherfuck, always bet on Duuuuke.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We couldn't properly celebrate Hallow's Eve this year so we decided to reschedule it over Thanksgiving. All year I had been planning to go as Duke Nukum--sourcing the perfect red t-shirt, 40mm grenade casings for the bandoleer, blue jeans, et cetera. When I showed up in my outfit, my mom immediately cried, "Hail the King!" (or something like that, it was close enough) and invited me in. All of our family immediately knew who I was.

That's how recognizable the Duke brand is.

Goddamn that's beautiful.

Krowley posted:

Anyone know how I can get Duke Plus to work with the latest High Resolution Project and Eduke32?

The dukeplus readme says to use the options menu in the eduke main menu but it's not there and I can't even get the game to launch with the plus features

Sure, here's a couple thingies. Have the DukePlus folder in your eDuke folder, and on your eduke launcher screen under Custom Content Directory pick DukePlus. For the DukePlus menu key, go into keybinds, rebind it to something else, then rebind it back to pgup or whichever key you want. There's a quirk where by default added commands for mods don't work until you manually set them in the menu. And to get HRP working with it you click the use autoload folder option with the HRP stuff in the autoload folder. And always bet on Duke.

Bonus cheat tip, "spawn firstgunsprite" in the menu gives you the second pistol.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

M.Ciaster posted:

Man, I really wish I wasn't allergic to the way the mouse controls in Build. I love Duke 3D and I want to relive the middle school days when I played the poo poo out of it with friends but I just can't deal with that mouse, man. It's, like...overly precise and floaty at the same time. Fuckin' shame.

Are you talking about the classic renderer, or have you tried the OpenGL ports (polymost mode in eduke, or megaton edition)? Feels like normal mouse look thats the same as GZDoom, Quake, or anything else to me. But the original renderer has that weird thing where if you look up and down it stretches and looks wacky, but still was good for the time. And I find eduke's mouse controls feel better than Megaton's.

ArcturusDeluxe posted:

they probably forget about the rest of the game.
Probably not. Just personal taste.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 26, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GUI posted:

Did anyone who play through the original Doom campaign with Brutal Doom have crashing issues in E4M2? It's crashing every time I activate the first switch and enter the room with the imps, shotgunners and lava:

Episodes 1-3 gave me no problems whatsoever.

Edit: I'm using gzDoom if that matters???

Are you using the latest gzDoom dev build, gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1307-g4e1723e.7z from over here? http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

And are you using any other add-on thingies? I haven't played the Doom campaign with Brutal Doom so it could be a bug related to the mod I guess. Also it is the latest version of Brutal Doom? And just so I'm a tech support cliche, did you restart your computer?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Apparently the next Brutal Doom version includes the option to have a funny invisible mode instead of marines as well. http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/news/invisibility-power-up-returns

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mogomra posted:

Just to be That Guy™, what is the source movie there?

Hard Target. It's no TimeCop, but it is John Woo's first American movie, so that's something. Fairly watchable flick.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's some new Bomshell footage. It looks a lot prettier than the last footage but holy hell is there a lot of terrible writing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jNh9punDRo

Jon St. John is always a delight, what a living legend this guy is. I'm more interested in the Build engine Bombshell FPS tie-in "shareware" thingy they're doing, wonder when we'll see some of that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shayu posted:

I wanted personal opinions of veteran posters as to what I may like the most from the OP.

Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is the #1 choice since you dig SW and Blood, plus it's the king. Doom and Doom 2 definitely deserve your time, and so does Quake I'd say. But I can see why the maybe the bleakness of Quake or whatevers may put it behind the others there for you, but try 'em all I'd say.

You'd probably also dig stuff like No One Lives Forever, but that's a bit less oldschool.

Also if you don't mind configuring source port program thingies after buying a game, Duke 3D has eduke32, Doom 1 & 2 have GZdoom, Quake has Quakespasm, etc. Though Duke's Megaton Edition port on Steam is solid as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm enjoying that Turok remaster there, thumbs up. Wild stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the talk of ranking or comparing stuff like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake... (my fav is Duke 3D), those right there are the best ever! They all aged like fine wine and are easily the top three for user made SP content. (including Doom 2 of course)

Give me a new FPS with inventive level design like that, somebody. I do dig the Half-Life style of the more cinematic narrative adventure most go for, that's good too. Somebody make a new FPS with some levels that feel interesting and fun to check out. And preferably with a fast pace. And don't be afraid to go a bit abstract with it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm still waiting on Daikatana trading cards.

I have Quake 2 action figures, including the mutant shark thingie, that seems almost as weird. Ok not quite as weird.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm also still waiting for wave 2 of that line

Hell yeah, hey never say never, I'm waiting for Half-Life 3.

Here's a pic of that sweet shark toy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thyrork posted:

Restraining yourself to a certain collection of tools is important regardless of their availability at the time or not. If you dont, you get Duke Nukem Forever.

While I agree it would've been great to have the Quake 2 DNF, 2001 Unreal DNF, and also the 2011 DNF, I for one am glad to have the 2011 DNF. I think the real lesson is don't change engines, just hire two or three more teams and make more Duke games at any given time. And always bet on Duke.