Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
There was a lot I didn't like about the fourth book, but the one part I loved was not having to read Daenerys chapters. Although now that she might actually have an impact on the other 90% of the plot, maybe it wont be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Darko posted:

I basically just skip Daenerys chapters and read Wiki summaries of what happens; it's so disconnected, she pisses me off, and I actually generally don't like dragons and poo poo. I'm dreading revisiting her in this book, although maybe I can tolerate her a bit more now since she's more connected now.
Are we allowed to mention the TV show here?

If so, I think it's hilarious It's a shame that HBO has to fork over so much money every season to keep the Dany storyline going, even though the earliest she'll interact with any of the Westeros characters is Season 6 (assuming the rumor book 3 will be two seasons is true). I guess they couldn't get rid of Dany without truly screwing with the source material, but still -- she's a show within a show, and I found her TV adaptation less interesting then her chapters in the book. The worst part is the show will almost definitely not last that many seasons, and the seasons that they do film will suffer for Dany's inclusion.

If not, I guess I'll be probated. :ohdear:

I can't wait to see more Dorne in the fifth book - that last Dorne chapter really knocked it out of the park, and I've been pretty interested in all the Dornish character that have popped up. Also, Samwell's Adventures in Oldtown. :unsmith:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

My amazon ordered shipped, I am filled with a mixture of trepidation and excitement, and a craving for pizza, but not that chicago deep dish poo poo.
The only proper sustenance whilst reading A Song of Ice and Fire is pepperoni pizza, cheetos, and root beer.

It is known.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Jon will Warg into Ghost and become a tree.
Is everything we seem or see
but a boy within a tree?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

The main "criticism" of her looks basically is that her eyes are spaced widely apart.

My main criticism of her looks in this picture is her hair is just... Just awful. Awful.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
She looks like Kenny Powers' girlfriend.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I'd do her
You know all there is to know about the lying game. :colbert:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
No it wasn't it was Alan Shepard who was one of the original cosmonauts you prole.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Martin Van Buren posted:

So the predisposition to incest would be hereditary. Interesting...

I would actually love it if grrm unceremoniously killed Dany and had Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion wind up with the dragons.
A strong wind blows her off Drogon while she's crossing the sea and she's never seen again.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
heh.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is Robb more of a Shinji or a Kaworu?
Arya is obviously an Asuka :nyoron:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Martin Van Buren posted:

Dibs on Captain's daughter. Or Gilly.
Dibs on what was brought to Tyrion's room after Joffrey had his... Fun...

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 26, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Too many characters have names that easily shorten to inoffensive late-90s sitcom names.

Mel and Stan have been having an affair, but will Dave find out?
Meanwhile, Rob finds out there's more to directing than breaking a leg.

Next time on... A Game of Life

e: \/
:haw:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 26, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like that Mel :mmmhmm:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Move on up to Fort MacMurray, it's on its way to becoming literally Mordor.
The Calgary Tower is already basically Minas Morgul

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

With Renly dead, the Ph.D. in being Smart thread is already putting every egg ever in the Robb basket.
Why oh why cant the Red Wedding be this season?

Evan Montegarde posted:

Do the dragons do anything after Drogon burns down the House of the Undying in ACoK and before they toast Quentyn? I guess they're conveniently locked away in a pit for like 3,000 pages because GRRM couldn't find a way to write loving dragons in a more interesting way than Dany making GBS threads.
One of them eats a kid and then Dany's all, "Oh noooo!"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Most movies aren't ten hours.

misguided rage posted:

"Why yes, my ultimate goal is to ride my dragons over to Westeros and bury the Iron Throne under a mountain of burnt corpses.

...what's that you say? One of my dragons ate a person? Why I never."
I love how horrified she is, as though she didn't foresee her ravenous flying apex predators ever eating anything but goats.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

I've gotta disagree there, as Viserys on the show was basically just as I imagined him, just less prominent. He did twist nipples, scream about waking the dragons, etc. on the show, they just showed his other side while he was on-screen instead of in Dany monologues.
Now you've done it. YOU WOKE THE DRAGON!
*gives Dany a swirly*

e: But yeah, he definitely came across more tragic on the show than he did in the book. Abusive, sure -- but more of a bumbling idiot with a bad temper than a Joffrey. At the very least, he didn't deserve to have his brain boiled by molten gold.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 30, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Octy posted:

Yes, but my point is that the actual sacking of Winterfell in the book had a cast of a couple thousand at the very least. More like two handfuls of people.
It did? I remember it being a pretty small affair, with Theon taking the castle by surprise and only getting away with it because the able-bodied men were everywhere else.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I just spent too much time looking for the excerpt with the "stick 'em with the pointy end" quote so I could re-write it as Gendry/Arya erotica.

I am a bad person.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Thanks z0r and SpaceMust for messing with my head.
You're welcome.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

IRQ posted:

Needs more Snoop Dogg Direwolff dancing on his sword.
Uh! I'm a nice crow, with some nice dreams
See these ice walls, see these ice keeps?
Ineligible bachelor, land of frost and snow
That's whiter than what's spilling down your throat

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

Right, all you fanartists out there can just burn your paintings, shred your hard drives and smash your tablets as the greatest piece of fanart was just discovered on the ASOIAF wiki:

Look how drunk he is.
That's not appropriate for children.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I saw that exact portrait on westeros.org earlier and had a hearty lol. I prefer those terrible anime drawings over the :effort: photoshop paintings on some of the other profiles. Yeah, I can paint on top of a photograph, too, dickhead.
Prove it. :smug:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Those get translated into modern english, though, making them far more accessable to the layman. Shakespeare is just on the cusp of being total gibberish to the modern anglophone, so it's left alone and quite a lot of people get really, really upset (because they are sperglords) if you try to translate it into something readily understandable.

e: I keep saying Shakespeare when I really mean Francis Bacon, Christopher Marlowe, and Edward de Vere. :unsmigghh:
Part of the pleasure of Shakespeare is the language, and the games he plays with language. A lot of the cleverness is lost if you translate to modern English. Admittedly, that requires some level of familiarity with the work, and some comfort with Elizabethan English (which doesn't take as much effort as you might think) -- but it's no more spergy than saying flag football has no place in the NFL.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

Hey guys lets talk about Pride and Prejudice next, Darcy is such a cad
IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single queen in possession of three dragons must be in want of :shlick:~*~ Daario ~*~:shlick:.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

I'm told I am a misogynist if I don't like Austen, what say you, thread of ladyshits?
Take a copy of Pride and Prejudice and replace Jane Austen with "Biff Slabchest," then re-read the book -- if you suddenly enjoy it, then you're a misogynist.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Say three Hail Mary Shelley's and repent.
Is she still taking credit for her husband's masterpiece? :smug:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, I've never liked Littlefinger and I can't quite put my finger on why. The casting is perfect, but something is just off.
He's a little too Ken doll/John Edwards handsome for me. I pictured him as more of a Brad Dourif or Crispin Glover. A more weasily type.

Doesn't help that I still see him as Carcetti from The Wire.

I've never understood why GRRM went with the whole Viking thing for the Ironborn, anyway. He should have modeled them after Newfoundlanders. They live on a desolate island, speaking a gutteral corruption of the common tongue. The Damphair wouldn't waterboard people to induct them into the church, he'd make them kiss a cod and do a shot of whiskey. Hell yeah!
BY JAYSUS DIDYE PAY THEH I'RN PRICE THERE BY'?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 16, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Devorum posted:

Has this been posted? Probably the most important ASoIaF work announced to date:

http://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fire-Official-Companion/dp/0345534492/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337155605&sr=8-1

Finally, I can gorge myself along with the characters!! I hope every recipe glistens....
Stay a while and glisten.

(I'm buying the poo poo out of this book.)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The Quails Drowned in Butter better call for literally drowning quails in melted butter. Anything less would be insufficiently Gurmlyrio.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Question: If we ghost wrote Winds of Winter and published it under GRRM's name, do you think he'd say anything or would he just take credit for it and go back to watching football?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

It is absolutely creepy, I feel because she's taking such delight in annihilating Robert's line. She hates him just so much she'll sleep with him just to have that moment of joy as she scoops it all out and destroys it.

Ughhhh.
I thought it was somewhat less gross than that, in that Robert was always so drunk that she'd pull off and finish with her hand.

e: Beaten like something that rhymes with Leek

The Mechaniks of Cumbortion
by
Maester Gurm, Arch Pregnomancer of Westeros

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 2, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My biggest problem with Dany is that, while she has incredible potential, I have zero interest in what she's actually embroiled in. GRRM is so bad at making me care about Dany that he even managed to make me stop caring about Tyrion while he was on his way to her.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Ros is going to ride a dildocopter out of the gates and chant "if you eat his bread and salt surely NOTHING BAD will happen" while she hits people with her tits.
I'd watch this.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'd love it if during the AFFC/ADWD seasons, whenever they cut to Dorne, it was suddenly shot in shaky, high-contrast VHS and everyone acted completely over the top.
I'd love it if during the AFFC/ADWD seasons, whenever they cute to Dorne, it was suddenly shot in washed-out colours and directed by Steven Soderbergh.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dorne is really loving dumb in AFFC, it either needs to be cut or given some content.
Thank you.

Dorne - inexplicably moreso than anywhere in Danyland - seems like something from a completely different series of books. It's really jarring. Qarth and Mereen are ridiculous but Dorne is deep in the uncanny valley with its Darkstar and Sand Snakes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Contra Calculus posted:

I was going to point out Jon loving Ygritte, but then I remembered they're only a year apart. Were they a year or two years apart? Doesn't matter, GRRM will eventually write a scene with a young man doing it with an older woman. He's covered every other weirdass fetish so far and now all he needs is bestiality, necrophilia (we get a double-whammy of that and incest with Zombie-Jon loving Dany), and of course younger man fucks older woman.
Y'all are forgetting Lancel Lannister, teenage gently caress machine.

e: Beaten like a shameful boner when Brienne wasn't looking.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 12, 2012

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm looking into travel ideas for this summer and I think I found a great place for a Bad Thread goonmeet.
New Brunswick :neckbeard:

... Although New Brunswick is more White Harbor than King's Landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

I drink Hennessy because I listened to too much rap growing up.
Is it true it puts "hurr" on your chest?

So I just realized Damphair is Damp + Hair and now I'm really loving angry for some reason.