Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

MrBling posted:

Man, Trent Fords french accent is terrible. I hope he isnt in too many episodes.
Everyone hates the scenes he's in because everyone would hate their ex to be dating that guy in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I think I've posted this before but the West Wing also has some xenophobic twinges now and again. Nearly every single foreign leader is portrayed in a negative light. They're always either slightly sinister, or for "friendly" countries they're always arrogant, or a blowhard, or a drunk, something like that.

Lord Nigel eventually shows a competent aspect after he's been portrayed as a womanising buffoon for a few appearances, but the Qumari politicians are just cartoon arab villans, basically.

The only exception I can think of is the African President (was that Equatorial Kundu?) who was a noble guy, but he got gunned down by his own people.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

He knew the quote, Lord Marbury just finished his sentence for him. I don't agree that it was a fluke at all though, it seems obvious to me it was an exchange designed to show they had shared outlook on the situation and were on the same page. It was one of those moments that would seem cheesy and implausible in a different show, but that's why the West Wing is so great.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I really don't get the big deal about that. In the context of the show it's obviously some big in-joke and they're just celebrating and enjoying it. Yet everyone seems to have this really weird reaction to it.

But I'm the person who thinks the "hands in pockets" scene at the end of the second season finale is one of the most dumb-as-poo poo things I've ever seen. Sorkin should be loving ashamed of himself.
Totally with you on both points. (Although out of context, calling it a "Twin Peaks" scene makes a lot of sense and is pretty funny. When you watch the episode though it's not some freakish stand-out scene at all)

Two Cathedrals blew me away the first time I saw it, second time too probably, but after that the cheesiness, the pomp, the latin, the storm, the Dire Straits, it all starts to tip the scale towards the ridiculous. It's not in my must-watch episodes at all anymore.

The third season finale is set against a big bombastic opera scene, but it's underplayed and the drama is slow-burning. It's watching the dark side come in, rather than Bartlett just being a perfect godlike Super-president again. Much prefer it.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 17, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

shelper posted:

I'm in the first five minutes of Bad Moon Rising and i just now noticed.

Did they ever explain what happened to Lionel Tribbey?
I seem to remember a throw away line when Oliver Babbish first gets introduced, but I can't remember what the line is or where he's supposed to be.

And I just checked and "Bad Moon Rising" is the first episode with Babbish, so if you've just watched it and don't know, then he took early retirement in Mandyville.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

shelper posted:

There was a brief conversation along the lines of

'They keep thinking they get to be a voice in your (Bartlett's) ear and then quit when they find out they don't.

I was just wondering if there was anything more.
If that's it then I imagine that they couldn't get the actor back (I know he's on Boston Legal now). A bit of explanatory exposition to get past the fact they needed to cast a new White House lawyer. I think for that story, Babbish is better than Tribbey would have been anyway. He's more jaded and cynical which works better when the story calls for a defence attorney.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

brylcreem posted:

I'm watching the pilot again:

Lauren: "These things look exactly alike!"
Me: :downs:

Not Sorkin's finest work, I have to say ...
Sorry, I'm not following you at all. What looks alike? Who's Lauren?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

BklynBruzer posted:

Character name is actually Laurie, I think.
Oh, Sam and the prostitute swapping phones. I'm with you now.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I think this came up a few weeks ago in this thread, it was just a write-around. No need to conjure up new background canon.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Looks much more like a film trailer to me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Definitely start at the pilot. Season 1 seems really preachy to my eyes now (and has a really odd colour palette), but the pilot definitely makes an impact and gives you the show's "flavour". Everyone I've lent the DVDs to has burned through the first season in days. The West Wing is a relatively good example of a show that isn't a slow burner but still has great payoffs for story arcs. Most episodes are enjoyable on their own, but become more enjoyable once you're watching them in order.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Wait for Joshua Malina to show up at some point too. I can never tell if he's a really great actor or a really limited one.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I have no idea how you all remember the allusory names of the episodes in a 7-season serial. I've got google open with "....... west wing episode" just so I can follow this conversation.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

Yeah tolerance isnt a virtue we should be promoting on television.
Well literacy is something that should be promoted on television but they don't have an episode teaching the audience how to say the alphabet. That episode was hamfisted and preachy, it's almost universally acknowledged as such.

Aaron Sorkin came out and said the script was a serious rush-job, it's not up to the standards of the rest of the series and it shows.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Was Richard Schiff in anything else decent? Toby was always my favourite, and from everything you read it's obvious he had a big affect on how the character pans out.
He's got small parts in Se7en and one of the Jurassic Parks, I think the second one. He looks a lot better with a beard.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Looking at this now, I feel like I'm missing something. Bartlett is right about the letter. Either it should be pre-signed and ready, in case an emergency happens (like the President getting shot for example) and the VP has to assume power, in which case no-one would ever question it's existence.

Or it shouldn't and there's no problem. But then in any situation where the President is put under emergency general anaesthetic, which has happened in the real world, the Vice President's authority is murky at best. This situation would happen whether Bartlett had MS or not.

Toby's saying "you had an attack that time, but a time previously when you were shot (and your MS wasn't the issue) there was no signed letter". He's talking about two different situations and no I longer see what his point is there. If someone asked why the letter was in a file someplace, the answer is "in case something happens to the President". It's not a problem. That letter probably exists in the real world for just such an emergency, it's not an admission of life-threatening illness and voter fraud.

I've never had a problem with this scene before and I've seen it half a dozen times, someone explain to me what mistake I've made with this logic.

[edit] I understand what he's saying about betting Leo was in charge rather than Hoynes, an why he's outraged at that, but the letter argument itself doesn't make sense.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I bet Tommy Schlamme hates it when the walk and talk is credited as an Aaron Sorkin thing.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Josh: I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States.
CJ: I serve at the pleasure of the President.
Sam: I serve at the pleasure of President Bartlet.
Toby: I serve at the pleasure of the President.
I can mostly look past the cheesiness of the first season, except for this scene. It makes me cringe, it's almost comical. It's like that scene in Spiderman 3 where he lands in front of the American flag.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

JerkyBunion posted:

There are multiple Deputy COS' in the Obama administration.
I think most administrations have a bunch of deputies.

Their actual job titles are quite loose in the WW, they change a lot to serve the plot. CJ is the press secretary, she would take much more instruction from the Director of Communications, but it's never presented that way. Toby basically does the same job as Josh in the show, other than every so often a plot point about script writing comes up. Josh is basically the deputy CoS for plicy, Toby is the deputy CoS for communications. Sam is the same, a deputy communications director would have nothing to do with half the meetings he ends up having.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

My old job stocks Schweppes bitter lemon, I used to sell it all the time. It's lemony tonic water, it's gross.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The SARS Volta posted:

Has Moira Kelly ever publicly offered her thoughts about that, anyway?
I seem to remember her saying that both her and the creators agreed the character wasn't really working out. That's probably a fairly political answer but I doubt she's really bitter about it or anything.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

Also, gently caress the French boyfriend. I'm with Jed on that one
He's 100% written to get the audience's sympathy for Charlie. You couldn't imagine a worse guy for your ex that you're still in love with to be sleeping with. Arrogant, rich, European prettyboy douche. The male psyche is just attuned to hate him.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

DominoDancing posted:

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to dislike Two Cathedrals.
I've gone off it by now. Amazing the first time but the more I've seen it the more it's been over the top. The hand in the pocket was always undeniably corny, it just depends whether you think the execution excuses it. But now even the latin scene is laid on a bit thick for me these days.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Ainsley: Mr. Tribbey? I'd like to do well on this, my first assignment. Any advice you could give me that might point me the way of success would be, by me, appreciated.

Tribbey: Well, not speaking in iambic pentameter might be a step in the right direction.

The West Wing is the best show.
Oh no, I hate the lines like that. The lines when the characters are being hilariously overly-quick-witted and verbose, and Sorkin thinks he's they're giving a super smart verbal smackdown. There's probably about twenty of them sprinkled throughout the first four seasons. All I can hear when I watch those parts is Aaron Sorkin's fists sliding up and down his own penis.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I've watched the West Wing all the way through atleast 5 times. I've probably seen every episode of season 3 eight or nine times. The West Wing is my favourite television show ever and it's not even close. But it isn't perfect, and some of the lines steer too far into showing off instead of having a purpose and place in the scene. I adore 95% of the dialogue in the show, but that iambic pentameter line is just Sorkin high-fiving himself. He decided he wanted to include some reference to poetic metre in the dialogue, then wrote a line in that metre and then wrote the response. When the line makes you think "that was written because the writer wanted to talk about iambic pentameter" rather than "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome", then it's not successful. Bartlett says a ton of stuff that's too smart for its own good but it never takes me out of the show and makes me think about someone actually crafting the script.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Hey, guess what? When I watch that, I think "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome."
Okay, okay. I'm not attacking you for liking a line. I don't like it, I've given my reasons.

Caufman posted:

That's a valid reaction and one that understandably would frustrate you when watching The West Wing, but don't use "you" when you mean "me" because I have never had that reaction.
It's a really common linguistic device, its hypothetical, I don't mean "you" specifically and there's no implication that it does. Genuine question, is English your first language?

quote:

Even further, if I could remember those moments, I'd be ashamed of them as I am about other things I do not want to be a part of my identity.
What the gently caress?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I never felt Dule Hill (Charlie) could keep up with Sorkin's dialogue. He's much better and more convincing in Psych.
I think I know what you mean, but (and this may have been deliberate) for me it had the effect of reinforcing Charlie's character. He's totally insecure being around all these powerful intelligent people, so even though he's that smart himself his slight awkwardness and embarassment when speaking so verbosely fits how the character feels. Bradley Whitford throws out the dialogue like it's nothing because Josh is pretty arrogant and is totally comfortable being the smartest, funniest guy in the room. Charlie doesn't feel like he deserves to be there, and that slight discomfort comes through in his delivery.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Toby is my favourite character :)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

fuf posted:

Can someone quickly explain why John Goodman took over as president instead of the vice president? I started rewatching at the start of season 5 and can't remember the end of season 4.
There was no VP at the time, Hoynes had resigned just before over a sex scandal. That's why it was such a big deal to envoke the 25th amendment, because "they were elevating the most powerful republican in the land" or whatever the quote is.

That's also why there is a new speaker who causes all the Shutdown stuff. Really great continuity plot threading in the WW.

Although that reminds me of another scene I don't like. When Walken does his little speech about Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the Black Hand, as though he's an impressive political history scholar. He's talking to the senior staff of the President of the United States, high schoolers know what caused WW1. Same with explaining why he had to resign. Everyone in the room works at the highest level of government. I know it's for the audience and you have to forgive it slightly, but the WW is usually so great at getting that kind of information across without an exposition hammer.

Is Donna in that scene? I can't remember. She's usually the audience proxy.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 1, 2012

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I have never once understood skipping parts of a serial in any medium. People on the internet always talk about skipping chapters in books and stuff. It baffles me, other than the 9/11 episode there isn't a single self-contained episode in the entire show. Skipping stuff on re-watches is completely understandable, but why would you willfully ignore parts of the story?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Looking back, the 9/11 episode is probably preaching to the choir a bit for the West Wing audience. But that was a very intense period in history with a lot of reactionary, hostile sentiment going round so it was probably a good thing to put that kind of message out there in the media. Now time has passed and things have calmed down it's the most skippable episode in the series though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Xeno posted:

Season 1 first watch completed in two days.
I haven't rewatched season 1 in years. It's dated, it's pretty preachy, and it's lit in a very "90s" way. The tone and the dialogue isn't really so different, but season 2 is where my West Wing starts, with S3 being my favourite (because it's the best).

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Early West Wing is a bit clumsy with race stuff, but I think we all forget that attitudes can change in a relatively short space of time, and what was on-point/relevant/progressive in 1999 is actually fairly different to standards now.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

myron cope posted:

Does Greg Brock drop his Zip disk (lol) with the Hoynes article in CJs office on purpose? It looks like it, but...why?
I can't remember exactly how that scene plays out, but I'm pretty it was a personal favour to CJ, but covering himself enough to deny he leaked it if it came out.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The West Wing wiki has Reagan - Newman - Lassiter - Bartlett. The episode with the former presidents is S5E10, "The Stormy Present", if anyone wants to check it out and confirm.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

It's 100% supposed to be a lesbian gag. I've never heard the Bruno theory, it's just shipping.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Slashrat posted:

I imagine that the swearing in was unique to Walken since up to that point, he had been sitting in an entirely different branch of the government.
I hate that exchange in that scene. I get that you have to get the separate branches rule across to the audience, but he's talking to the President and the most expert political professionals in the country, they know you can't work in two different branches at the same time. That's what Donna is for. Then he explains how the first world war started to the same people, as the music cue swells.

Then they have that big "you're relieved, Mr. President." line to show that he's taking charge and he's the boss now, but then undercut by having Leo say it to Bartlett straight after. Definitely a great episode, and I still love the scene overall, but those sections annoy me every time.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

withak posted:

Part of the change early on may be that Bartlett was originally intended to be kind of a side character. Then Martin Sheen went over really well with audiences so they decided to write him in more.
From what I've heard that decision was changed straight from the pilot. His speech at the end went over so well that the whole series was re-tooled after that.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Asiina posted:

It also had Rob Lowe saying that he turned it on one time after he left and immediately turned it off...but then wanted to come back for the end. So you didn't watch it when Sorkin left, but wanted to be part of it again?
Sorkin says he didn't watch it either and he came back for the last episode. They're dramatists, I'd take it with a pinch of salt when they say they left and never watched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Slashrat posted:

He remembered the name of every staffer and assistant, including Ed and Larry, in the west wing just fine on his last day in office, even though in E&L's case he'd gotten them mixed up before.
I don't know if this was your point, but that was supposed to be a very sentimental, symbolic scene exactly because of the running joke about Bartlett always forgetting names.

• Locked thread