Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:aaaaa: I'll say it again: the best OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Zedd posted:

does greenmangaming do gifting?
Apparently not. I caved myself (I mean, come on) but I hope we'll be able to get that mission somehow.

Edit: Quite a few people mentioned problems with currency and proxies (example), try searching the forums.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 22, 2011

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mega64: DEUS EX TRIBUTE.

Actually I'm a really big Mega64 fan, but this one felt pretty sloppy to me. Oh well!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Tecman posted:

Speaking of amusing bugs from the leak, found these on Facepunch:

Looks like his legs need to be augmented.
:downsrim:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's been mentioned a couple times; I kinda thought the same thing about Machination. Still have to check out his newer stuff. I'm pretty bad at that.

Anyway, the Facebook page updated with the second half of Chapter 1 of the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect novel. 1714 likes until the next unlock.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2011

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I guess the Facebook page updated again, this time with something quite a bit :siren:spoilery; stay away:siren: concept artwork of a later-game character. 2543 likes until the next one with 3 unlocks left for phase one (42457 out of 50000).

Also, you can now view the artwork from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution art show (minus the bathroom installment you can see at the end of the Kotaku video). Only 12 items, this one is personally my favorite (except for something that kinda bugs me):

(I also like the idea of misdirection in the photographic work)

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 2, 2011

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Tecman posted:

Just a correction (and why I've been hesitant to post that piece of concept art myself)...
Whoops, didn't know. Been really lucky at keeping away from story points while still keeping up on news. I'll go edit the post.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Am I misremember, or aren't there prominently two different anti-transhumanism groups in DX:HR, Humanity Front and Purity First? I mean, who knows how it'll actually go down in the game, but I thought PF was more of the extremist side of the issue which would explain some of the ridiculousness of the trailer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

There's a DX:HR television commercial floating around. Not a fan of all-CGI trailers myself, and seems very non-derivative.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Deus Ex Facebook page updated again with comic page 3 of the first issue. Only about 3000 more likes until the final unlock for Phase 1, who knows what comes after that.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The game comes out in like...12 days. How the hell are they going to get through 3 more phases when it's taken like 5 months just to get this far?
I have no idea, but really I don't think it matters; it is not like the unlocks we have seen needed to be out before release or anything like that. I kind of assumed (maybe someone in charge mentioned it?) the other phases would be different than the current system of unlocking. It is pretty eerie how close to release Phase 1 will be finished so I wonder if it was designed that way (by trend) or if the numbers are fudged or something.

Policenaut posted:

Did they ever give out the QR Code rewards for Facebook? They got past 1 million points a long time ago but I never got that code for the VTOL avatar thing.
I'd guess it hasn't done anything to let more people sign up before the August 23rd date. There PR seems to be fairly good so send them an email or post a message on the forums if you're that worried about it.

Speaking of the QR codes, if you followed the forum post you'd know that apparently there is a Tumblr that has all (21) of the QR codes listed. I was planning on doing something similar myself, here, but they became harder to find (I'd hear so and so was released but was missing a ton myself). Didn't seem to catch on anywhere, either. The only reason I was interested in it personally is because the QR code translates to links of flavor text which I thought was interesting; the first QR code, for instance, translates to http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/qr/0451 (don't bother visiting; before the standard info page it used to load nothing with a standard PC browser). You can see them all on the Tumblr.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Another new 30-sec commercial, I think this one is quite a bit better. Not on YouTube yet, as far as I see.

Edit: Up on YouTube now from a variety of places.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 15, 2011

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Firstly, anyone who got the Green Man Gaming deal, here's a staff quote from the forum thread about the whole thing (because they are Steam keys and not the retail boxed version):

quote:

Deus Ex: Contrary to what you may have heard, Deus Ex keys are NOT region locked and everyone will get the correct version. This has been 100% confirmed by the publisher after a conversation last night!

To quote Eidos admin, jaycw2309:
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies..

Secondly, apparently the final (for Phase 1, whatever that means) update for the Deus Ex Facebook page went live sometime today:
:arghfist::what: 15 one-time use (aka was first-come, first-served) Steam codes for the Deus Ex/Deus Ex: Invisible War Combo Pack.

Also, finally, wanted to thank dudeman and Happy Blue Cow for posting! That's so cool. How far in development did they nix non-human enemies and water? Any augmentations or weapons that you wish could've been added? Obligatory reference question: Is it too late to recommend a prequel to Jacob's Shadow be hidden away somewhere?

Fake edit: Awesome to see a gang tag, more people that have money need to adopt it. :colbert:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I stopped keeping track of it due to the speed of updates and because of the time of day which it mainly updated, but Phase 2 of the DX:HR Facebook thing has been full for about a day. Mostly weapon artwork which is pretty cool, a wallpaper ("Murder"), a VA vid, of course some comic/novel stuff, and another round of DX/DX:IW Steam codes.

Also, submitted a Photoshop entry in the contest thread so I'm now officially repping the crew :kamina:. If anyone else wants to give it a try, pay attention to the rules!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

buildmorefarms posted:

I faintly remember a glorious interview with either JJB or JFD responding to a fan's question regarding Adam's sunglasses, and why he wears them when the HUD/targetting augs exist within his eyes.

The answer is a very candid "...because he's a douche!"; did I imagine this or did it really happen - and if the latter, could anyone dig up a link for me?

You are not misremembering.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

You got a link? All I'm finding on google are dead in the water projects that got so far as retexturing office phones and whatnot.
New Vision came out just a couple of weeks ago and if you want you can use it with the other popular mods (HDTP, Shifter/Biomod, already comes with the fixer .exe I think). Personally I'm saving it for later, as difficult as that is. Visit the Deus Ex thread if you need more help, though you might want to hurry.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, it was $28.80 on GMG for the regular version during the Magicka sale; I wonder how they can "undersell" it? It was a pain for me to pre-order it because of their verification system, though, had to borrow a card. I think they still have the $5 credit referral thing (to both parties) if you sign up under a referral. Also, they mentioned no more DX:HR sales after this weekend. Now I just hope the DLC doesn't stay exclusive!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^Paul: Jesus Christ, JC!

:siren:Deus Ex spoilers. I guess, seems kind of late to point it out though I think the other thread would've been better to take it to. Skip if you don't want Deus Ex background and speculation:
Yeah, you're all right, at least according to the Deus Ex Bible (search "JC and Paul Denton -- A Detailed Biography" and down). Not sure that Paul is really a clone even though he has a vat at the end, though, the bible doesn't mention it (doesn't mean it wasn't changed, but the vat could've just been for nano-augmentation or testing). Then again, in-game, after Lebedev, Paul mentions: "Remember, I knew them longer than you did, and after what Tong showed me, I'm pretty certain we don't have a stitch of DNA in common with either of our supposed parents." That kinda goes against the bible how Paul and even his parents were screened, not to mention it makes any reason for the cover-up killing of the parents dubious and Paul's "revenge", so who really knows? Just another inconsistency between the game and the bible. Another part of the bible mentions:
"A few [of Paul's clones] were allowed to live, so the scientists could perform further physiological and nano-technological studies on them as they grew older... In one or two cases, though, the experiments were successful." Still, the dates make it seem less likely that Paul is a clone (why have Paul, have a clone, remove the original Paul, make a modified clone on top of that, and then try to kill Paul again?).
DX:HR takes place in 2027, so Paul (born 2018) is around 9.

Paul gets a lot of hate for some reason (probably the pacifist, anti-UNATCO stuff), I always liked him and even more after checking out the bible. Plus the lovely role he self-undertakes in DX:IW, even though he's pretty much screwed over and a lame duck until the end. Also, his weapon is pretty funny even if the AI can't handle..

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Zoolooman posted:

It's Deus Ex. You have the freedom to not play the game like a sane person. :>
My morality is augmented.
What, you normal non-augs can't (DX spoiler) merge with an infallible AI construct? :smuggo:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still probably won't do that kind of stuff though, I'll be saving it for Saint's Row 3. It's still good to know it's there.
What with the Deckers as a gang I fully intend to try to play as some psychotic Deus Ex lead or wannabe.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Anyone here know if the augmented edition motion comic is the whole thing or what?

Just the first issue.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

They're both considerably end-game weapons. The first location for the energy rifle is the docks, and the first location for the plasma gun is Namir. At least one of them pretty obviously got moved late in development.
Fake Edit: Way past Detroit.

Ooh, almost caught up in this thread!

Anti-Hero posted:

Nothing has indicated they've rebalanced those , sadly. Nor the fact that hacking/stealth/non lethal playthroughs are encouraged by the game mechanics.

Any idea how the pricing discount will work on steam? My storefront still lists it at $19.99 even though I own the base game and DLC in steam.
If it's a trade-able coupon that'd be hilarious. I can't really think of another game that's had an upgrade w/ a discount like this before. Maybe some separate upgrade appid?

Oh well, we'll find out in ~1 hour. Didn't notice it had cards before! I'll actually probably wait until the regulars pop in with their opinions; I'm going to be busy and I should probably sell some cards before-hand anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit:^ Yeah, somebody should check (even if you bought it someone should see if the discount is still there for the gift).

FallenGod posted:

Also having to stop playing at the appropriate point in the story, load the DLC up, then go back to the main game seemed silly. If it's actually a real part of the game now I'll drop $5 for that alone.
I remember people (including myself) wouldn't recommend that, which is kind of funny because now it'll be standard.

cheesetriangles posted:

Nice it didn't even port over the achievements.
Good, now I can get them all over again :unsmigghh:

I wonder how the NG+ thing'll work? I'd think I'd rather have a respec so I could decide to use points or not.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

^Edit: You should probably ask in the Steam thread, I would but like I mentioned I'll probably even have to get it through card sales right now. Actually, somebody should mention it there anyway, so goons know about a deal (well, if you have no qualms about it, I guess?).

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I read on NeoGaf you can gift people it for 5 dollars. Pretty fantastic feature.
So, nobody buy this game if they don't have it, just buy/trade it for someone that own the original and expansion. There's no way they're not fixing that.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 22, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

You're the best.

Edit: Oh right, I gotta look into that.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

The Colonel posted:

So I managed to fix my previously mentioned Hengsha music loop bug by pausing and unpausing the game, but now on the second visit, I got the music bug again when exiting the same LIMB clinic, only this time I fixed it by pressing a random key and incidentally performing a Jensen Punch™ on an unsuspecting civilian. :stare:
Probably triggered the battle/hostile music.

Wiseblood posted:

No idea. The only iffy part I can think of was saving Malik at the start of Hengsha 2, which I didn't do during my Pacifist run of the original game. There were 10 soldiers at that part right? I'm pretty sure I counted 10 unconscious bodies before moving on. I can't think of anywhere else I could have tripped up, unless people still randomly die when you hit them with darts?
I'm pretty certain it is 10, I know it was some even number like that. I counted 10 in this Pacifist video from the original.

Even the dart thing is supposed to not count as a kill unless it specifically doesn't show "Merciful Soul". Then again, moving people can do it, too, although I don't remember the specifics on that one. I had to do it twice, myself, in the original version. It's just picky, and, honestly, probably something they should have added to the Director's Cut, especially since it's a longer requirement now.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

The magazine is not upgraded, though, so a normal revolver has the advantages of having 7 bullets and explosive rounds. I think Burke's Revolver has higher damage than a max-upgraded normal revolver, however.
Not damage, rate of fire, apparently, everything else is capped lower. Here's the regular, and here's Burke's (from the original version).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Didn't they mention that the radar is different, or am I misremembering? I seem to remember in the original of it being way too small/cluttered if you got the upgrade to it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

You guys might get a kick out of this. So Eidos had that joint GDC "sponsored session" where they showed off the new TressFX 3.0 technology (as part of the Dawn Engine for the next Deus Ex projects). For whatever reason Vice's Motherboard covered this and released a couple screenshots.

:wtc:

I never asked for this haircut

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Well... gently caress. Was going to play through with commentary on anyway and skip all the e-mail fluff. I did it really early too.
Could be the new cameras during the boss fights apparently (where it's already "hostile"). Here's a Reddit thread mentioning it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

The second sentence of that line, "bad poo poo going down"... that's about the only swearing I can recall from the first game beyond drat or hell. Is that right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZHB72moY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I liked the last boss in Missing Link. He's a weird sniper/sentry type, surrounds himself in guards, gets the drop on you, and you can still coldcock him a handful of different ways. It's a neat change from the rest of the campaign, too, and probably the only one where stealth works 100% instead of being a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of a good version of the last two human bosses in Alpha Protocol if they were mixed together.

Also you can steal his gun so he won't have it which is just great :3:

• Locked thread