Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anybody else having trouble with audio stuttering on USB headphones after upgrading to 10.12.4?

I just confirmed it's behaving the same on two different Macs. Logitech H340 fwiw.

It's just BA-BA-BA-BE-BE-BE-BE-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH. Totally unusable.

Non-USB headphones or regular speakers are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Anybody else having trouble with audio stuttering on USB headphones after upgrading to 10.12.4?

I just confirmed it's behaving the same on two different Macs. Logitech H340 fwiw.

It's just BA-BA-BA-BE-BE-BE-BE-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH. Totally unusable.

Non-USB headphones or regular speakers are fine.

Seriously, nobody uses USB headphones? Is anybody able to verify this?

I filed a radar, but nobody's acknowledged it yet.

I don't know what's going on with Apple's QA lately; really trivial poo poo like how apparently nobody thought to test the iOS "TV" app (which now contains all your offline videos) if you have no network. Want to watch some videos on the plane? Tough, the app just pinwheels forever and then finally shows you the videos except the screens are full of placeholder labels like "EPISODE.LABEL". And then this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well yeah, that's fixed since 10.3. Sucked two weeks ago though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cool, thanks; glad to know it's not just me.

Feels like chances are good someone at Apple will have noticed it too by this point..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please elaborate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks, sorry, phone posting and couldn't wait :circlefap:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On another note, does anyone here have an Apple TV (4th gen) that they have to reboot every single day in order to get it to reconnect to their iTunes?

I've been patiently waiting for them to fix this bug but tvOS 10.2 just dropped and it's the same crap as ever. Oh you're home? Hi, I'll wake up from sleep. You want "Computers"? TURN ON HOME SHARING IN ITUNES.

Restarting iTunes doesn't help. The only thing that does is rebooting the Apple TV. Every single day.

(Laptop connected via wifi, Apple TV via ethernet; but it doesn't matter, I've tried the laptop via ethernet on the same switch, doesn't make a difference, it just doesn't reconnect)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Cool, thanks; glad to know it's not just me.

Feels like chances are good someone at Apple will have noticed it too by this point..

Update on this—my bug report got flagged as a duplicate, so I'd wager a fix is coming.

(The bug that mine is a duplicate of has a higher ID number than mine, which has happened with like every single bug report I've ever put in :iiam: )

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

qutius posted:

awesome. if you file a bug report and it gets closed out as duplicate, do you get any kind of updates if they post a fix? or will it just get rolled into an upcoming update and noted in the release notes?

either way, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled...this is a pain in the rear end.

It's usually the latter, with the exception of the "noted in the release notes" part.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How I love it when they add new features that nobody needs or asked for and make the system less stable, presumably to pad the "new features announced at wwdc" count.

discoveryd

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cbirdsong posted:

I'm not really sure a quiz of 5,000 questions is the best way to judge these things, compared to "what can it do, and how reliable is it at doing those things when asked?" (but that's way harder to measure than trivia)

Honestly I don't give a tiny little crap how many of a huge list of obscure queries Siri can answer; it's basically useless to me until they decide to get around to adding some basic form of context to it.

You know, like command history.

"Hey Siri, play that last song again."
"Hey Siri, repeat the last search, only change New Jersey to New York."
"Hey Siri, text the person I just looked up."

Or like context from other apps, sensors, all the poo poo in the ecosystem.

"Hey Siri, what's the traffic like ahead?"

These are all queries I've tried—and had need of—within minutes of every new version of Siri and to date every single time it's always come up blank. Ridiculous. Oh but I can look for nearby coffee shops yay

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every time I see

Program Files
Program Files (x86)

I thank whatever gods there are that there is an Apple.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still love that a guy in my hometown very proudly--at first--drove around with an 8 MB RAM license plate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The whole point is it's supposed to be seamless and invisible. Otherwise nobody would bother doing backups.

It's supposed to be "set up once, never think about it again".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always having the source and destination folders visible at all times like the spatial finder intended, peace be upon Siracusa

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IAmKale posted:

Interesting. Is this a pattern from the NeXT days, like the way OSX handles windows as "pages" in an application that's always open (versus each window being an independent instance of an application a la Windows)?

Nah, this is old-school MacOS behavior.

NeXT (as a Unix tradition OS) had each app self-contained in its own window, no global menu bar. Blending that with the old Mac way was trippy as gently caress for us unix propellerheads.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it goes to 11!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still use the weather widget, swiping my laptop to another desktop is the quickest way to get all the temps at a glance. Same with clocks for various time zones, and a calendar for quick reference.

Calculator's still there too, but I use it less and less it seems.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Theophany posted:

Siri killed the dashboard for me. Easier to just speak out a calculation or ask for the weather imo.

I honestly can't even imagine using Siri. Like in a workplace setting? I've never ever heard anyone give a voice command to their computer. Wouldn't it be a huge annoyance?

I mean maybe if I only used a computer in a room by myself, but... is this telling me something about how many people live alone?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cbirdsong posted:

Alfred is complementary to Spotlight more than a replacement. It can do simple file finds and a whole lot more, but Spotlight is still what you need for deep searching.

So just like Sherlock and Watson back in the day.

So much promise..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chris Knight posted:

Except when your local store suddenly doesn't have certain albums anymore, making it impossible to match or download them again!

Which was the whole proposition behind iTunes a-la-carte purchase-and-store-forever model in the first place!

Which everyone was on board with! For about ten years! And now we've all changed our minds!

Those subscription-based music services that iTunes competed with in the early days and forced out of the market must be so loving pissed right now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit.

ZFS is the poo poo on FreeBSD. It would have been marvelous to have a Mac with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Astropad vs. Procreate: Fight ?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Biodome posted:

What are you mirroring? Your computer to an Apple TV?

I'm hoping it helps me with my Apple TV issue. Which is that the Apple TV always, always loses its AirPlay connection to my MacBook Pro after I come home from work and wake up the laptop from sleep. It never rediscovers the computer on its own. I have to reboot the Apple TV to get it to find it again. Restarting iTunes doesn't help, only rebooting the Apple TV. Every day.

It's been like this for several software revisions on the Apple TV now, so I don't have much hope, but..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pivo posted:

Were you in the middle of using AirPlay when you put the device to sleep?

No. I use AirPlay to stream tv shows to fall asleep to, and then in the morning when I pack up the laptop (which has been on power and awake all night) the Apple TV has gone to sleep on its own.

Forcing the Apple TV to sleep/wake does not seem to have an effect; if the connection is working when I sleep it, it keeps working when I wake it up, and if it's not, it doesn't.

Thanks for replying at least, this is more than I've ever gotten out of the official Apple support forum

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pivo posted:

Well, I was thinking, if AirPlay was on and the machine went to sleep and then ATV couldn't find the machine again, that's at least some sort of semblance of a reproducible bug maybe. But OTOH, "ATV goes to sleep while in AirPlay and subsequently can't find that machine again" is also a reportable bug. I don't know about Apple Support, but you could file a bug report ... and in the meantime, try a workaround:

Set up a sleep timer with AppleScript that kills AirPlay, maybe this can help: http://tech.adroll.com/blog/terminal/2014/09/26/introducing-aircontrol-control-airplay-through-terminal.html
so that the ATV doesn't go to sleep with the AirPlay active.

Or, try using Beamer.app to stream TV shows directly to the ATV from your MacBook (if you have the files, that is) without AirPlay.

Hmm, okay. Or I can have the AppleScript just quit iTunes, right? Doesn't that do the same thing? (I'm not sure if AirPlay Mirroring is the same thing as streaming stuff off my MBP's iTunes via ATV...)

(e: reading up) Okay, no, AirPlay Mirroring isn't what I'm talking about. I'm using iTunes. ATV connects to it via the "Computers" option and lets me browse my iTunes collections via its own interface. And that's what breaks each day; the laptop stops showing up in "Computers".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks anyway. Just posted a bug, will see if it gets anywhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same font they're using in iOS 11 Notes.

God that's an eyesore. Makes my brain hurt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apple Maps 1.0 led to high-profile firings as I recall.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Biggest difference might be terminology. “Programs” are now applications or apps. Motherboard is logic board. Taskbar is now Dock. Etc...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

carry on then posted:

Closing the last open window of an application no longer automatically quits the application. That took the most adjustment for me.

The perennial Mac gotcha; has been that way since the beginning of time. And probably will be for generations of monkeys-on-ladders after the last successful readthrough of a John Siracusa article.

I've never really been able to articulate why the Mac's modal metaphor is better than Windows' idea of every application is a window, but that's the mindset one has to be in: it's an OS that wants you to think of the frontmost application being the one that matters, so it takes over the whole screen context and menu bar, and whether there are any application windows open for that app is not indicative of whether it's running or not.

This made more sense workflow-wise back before multitasking was a fully embraced thing; and just to make things fun, certain classes of apps would auto-quit when their only window was closed, mostly small Utilities type apps. But then major apps like iTunes started doing it too, and who knows anymore. I've long since stopped trying to rationalize there being some grand unifying design about it.

E: it also made sense on a 9-inch Mac screen, but it's downright comical on my ultrawidescreen LCD where I have to reach out to like fully arm's length to get to the menus

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

iOS 11 was supposed to have a whole bunch of better and more contextually aware Siri stuff, wasn't it? The kind of stuff that might make it actually useful to me?

Let's try it out...

"Hey Siri, wake me up when we get to Suffern"
"OK, what time would you like me to set the alarm for?"

Ugh..

Hey Siri play no more i love use
Let's see...

Just ... hey siri never fuckin mind

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Generic Monk posted:

nah it's actually cool and good op. having the menus always be in the same place is great. it does take a bit of getting used to from windows since their content depends on which window has focus, but as someone who didn't use a mac daily until a few months ago you get used to it real quickly

As a matter of fact it was a much mooter point a few years ago than it is now; but now Google has muddied the waters with its HEY GUESS WHAT THE MENUS ARE IN THE SIDEWAYS DOT DOT DOT THING LOL metaphor, and Windows apps have all but replaced their traditional menus with little hidden treasure boxes too. Oh you have to right-click that thing in the title bar? Who in the gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love following the evolution, it's like

"How do we convey the idea of a bunch of hidden menus on a small mobile screen with no real estate? I know, three horizontal lines"
"Great, now the hamburger menu is established, let's simplify it so it no longer resembles the thing it was trying to evoke, also make its tap target smaller and more annoying"
"Why is this icon not consistent across all platforms? Put the vertical dots thing on desktop interfaces *gives self UX award* "

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know the official twitter client has a reputation for being garbage but

Martytoof posted:

the official one doesn't seem to support 280 chars.

loving lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s also totally useless for typical use cases

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you know it's a gesture it makes sense (swipe down from the bottom edge on the monitor where you want the dock to be). If you don't know it's a gesture though, it's utterly maddening because there's seemingly no way to fix it manually and no way to even articulate it in a way that lets you find help for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Axiem posted:

I just use vim on the command line, TextMate for slightly bigger projects or weird file types, and Xcode for iOS work.

Of the three, vim is by far the best, it just as a loving huge learning curve.

Dunno why I'm the only one who swears by nano.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly I just hate Nano because I don’t understand how to use it. At least vim it’s quite easy: the : brings up a command like prompt and then you type w for write or q for quit, or wq for write and quit. It makes sense.

Nano? The gently caress does ^X mean? I’m hitting the the ^ key and X and nothings happening. Why doesn’t it exit like it says in the bottom left corner?

(Yes I know that ^ is suppose to mean ctrl I think but that doesn’t make it any less stupid.)

I like not having to worry about modality idk :shrug: just arrow-key around and type, and the commands are right there, no memorization necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I mean I never thought twice about ^X because I'm from the 80s and tons of programs used that notation on-screen back then, even stuff like AppleWorks.

It's still everywhere in the menus in modern macOS along with the other meta-key symbols.