Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know how to remove the name of the currently logged in user from the upper right of the tool/menu bar? I know that i'm logged in, I dont need OSX to remind me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to setup Mail to work with gmail now? Is the built in auto-config the best way? I'd like 'Deleting' something in mail to archive it on the server if possible. Also, using the built in method sent mail doesn't show up properly. Anyone have any tips?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Astro7x posted:

I will admit, I am not use to the bigger popup style 1Password extension in Safari, but I do appreciate that on the first click it lists all of my logins for a site, instead of having to go into a sub menu and view them all. I have multiple G-mail accounts, and for some reason the default was never the one I wanted.

Their new UI (which they started using when they made the Chrome plugin) isn't nearly as reliable as the old one in my experience. Whether its filling forms, or saving log-ins, it doesn't seem to work half the time, for no obvious reason. I have no idea why the decided to overhaul the UI on the plugins, I thought it was great before. Sigh.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just got a Netflix account and have been enjoying my instant queue on my AppleTV. However, if I want to watch stuff on my laptop I have to install Microsoft Silverlight. Ive heard some rumblings that its pretty lovely and can mess with some codecs and is hard to uninstall. Is any of this true? Can anyone weigh in on how silverlight performs on their mac?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I used to have get mail check my gmail account and backup any new messages to an mbox every hour. After upgrading to lion i'm getting the following error: "No module named getmailcore". Am I going to have to switch from get mail to something else? Any suggestions as to what would be easiest to switch to?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a 'Mac Os Extended' drive to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. The contents on the first non-journaled drive equalled 994.08gb, after those contents were copied to the Journaled drive, they equaled 1.15tb. Is it normal to see this extra data when going from non-journaled to journaled?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Haggins posted:

]To celebrate their entry into the app store Agile Bits is selling 1Password for $20, which is half off the normal price. This is one mac app I couldn't live without and I highly recommend checking out if you've never heard of it. My favorite feature is that it has a complementary iPhone app that syncs your passwords and stores them securely on your iPhone.

Also pro-tip I learned not too long ago: The hotkey to automatically log into web pages is "CMD \" .

1password is a great program, especially for $20, but Agile Bits has done a terrible job so far updating 1Password for Lion. Half the time I go to use 1Password (I usually use CMD \ as well) it doesn't fill anything and I have to go find my username/password manually. This is on a computer where before they update to 3.8 and changed all the browser plugins everything worked fine. I also hate the new ui for the browser plugins. It also hasn't saved a few passwords despite me hitting the SAVE button. Its a great program, just be wary of it right now! Check out there forums to see what others are saying as well http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/forum/14-1password-for-mac-browser-extensions/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

wolffenstein posted:

This is due to drastic changes Apple made in Safari for Lion. Apple basically killed the plug-in support 1Password used for it's browser integration in favor of Safari extensions. The problem is, Safari extensions do not have as much capability as the plug-ins did, so AgileBits and other third-party developers are trying to make up for it. It's expected that future Safari updates will improve extension support with more API capabilities.

Then why are their plug-ins for Chrome and Firefox equally as unstable/buggy?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Haggins posted:

What browser are you using? I use Safari and right after I upgraded to Lion, it stopped working. A couple days later they added some kind of beta fix and it changed the interface. It didn't work well and it wouldn't save most of my passwords. After a few more days there was an update that fixed all the problems and it's been working as well as it used to. It's now to the point where I actually prefer the new interface. Is 1P on it's newest version?

Everything is on the newest version, and things are still hit or miss. My main grip is that CMD \ will only work about half the time now. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason, it will just refuse to autofill one day while working completely fine on the same page the next.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ndrake posted:

Is that confirmed anywhere? They are still selling it on their website. Seems disingenuous to have someone pay $40 on their site for a product that won't be updated vs $20 on the app store for the "next" version. Their website doesn't even mention there's a version on the mac app store.

yep, here it is: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

What the gently caress. Why cant they be like Panic and maintain a non-MAS version?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm looking for something that will let me mix multiple audio inputs in a unified interface and output to another audio output. Really all I have to do is monitor levels and adjust them on the fly. Doesn't need to record or anything else.

Everything I search for I come up with DJ MIX TWO MP3S AND BEAT MATCH and I just don't know what I'm really searching for.

Why do you need a computer for this, why not just buy a sound board, no computer needed? What about something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615692-REG/Peavey_03513300_PV6_USB_Live.html

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ndrake posted:

Been meaning to ask forever... is there a new "unlock" sound in Lion that is played when you wake a computer from sleep? It sounds a bit like the 1password "unlock" sound so I assumed it was that incorrectly opening every time I woke the computer, but comparing the two sounds I think the unlock/wake up sound is a little different. Actually kind of sounds like the ridiculous annoying slide to unlock sound from iOS, however I disable that on my iphone/ipad so I don't know it that well.

Long winded way to ask if this sound on wake is expected behavior, and if so how do I get rid of it? If not, anyone else heard it so we can figure out what's doing it?

I'm 90% sure this is 1password, as I've been hearing it as well.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an external Firewire 800 drive that is no longer mounting. Disk Utility can neither repair or verify the disk. Other than Diskwarrior, is there any software that might allow me tog et the data off the disk, or am I pretty much screwed?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Are you getting a ton of disk errors if you open up console? Just had a Lacie die in the office last week.

Have you ruled out the enclosure being bad? Can you rip it apart and put the HD in another enclosure, or inside a computer?

This is also a Lacie! I dont think the enclosure is bad, as neither the USB or Firewire interface will allow me to mount the disk, but it still shows up in Disk Utility.

Quite honestly I dont know what I should be looking for in the Console, any tips?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bob Morales posted:

Hit command-space and type 'Console' into Spotlight. Click Console, and then try to use the drive. You should some some entries with 'fseventd' 'error' and 'disk2s0' (or whatever your drive is) all on the same line.

I'm getting nothing in console. If I try to verify/repair the disk in Disk Utlity I get an error saying "Invalid Node Structure" and "Invalid B-tree node size".

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm on an iMac running 10.7.3, is there any way to use the InstallESD.dmg from my Lion install to run Lion as a guest OS in Virtualbox? In googling a bit, I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information. Anyone have any tips?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lexicon posted:

Is anyone else incredibly annoyed by the syncing behaviour on Messages if you've had a conversation on iOS prior to waking a MacBook from sleep? You open the lid, and all you hear is "zoom... zoom... zoom.. zooom!" as the notifications come in for the conversation that's already happened.

How did they ever think this is a good idea? Is there a way to turn it off, short of setting the notification sound to none?

Yeah, messages is essentially useless. No matter what I try, messages never seem to go to all my devices. Depending on the phase of the moon, messages will either go to my laptop, or my phone, but almost never both. And there seems to be zero syncing of conversations, so whatever I send someone on my phone doesn't show up on my laptop. What is the point? How are grandma's going to figure this out?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know what would be causing mDNSresponder to be constantly communicating with my router after updating to 10.8.2? I googled it a bit and everyone who's had that problem blamed it on an Epson scanner driver that I dont have....any ideas?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Whats the best way to use my iMac as a time machine target for my macbook over wifi? Should I just spring for OSX Server?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Isn't lastpass a

Ninja Rope posted:

Is there a good free password utility similar to 1Password? I have a distrust of online services and I'm sure friends and family won't be willing to pay for 1Password.

Edit: The fact that KeePass is a port done by Some Guy seems off-putting too.

To everyone reccomending lastpass, isn't it a 'web service'?

I've used it and 1pass, both are great. 1pass can work completely offline, whereas I don't think lastpass can...?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an Imac on 10.6.8 and no matter what I try I can't get the download for Yosemite to start in the Mac App Store. The get and download buttons remain grey, and I see no activity in network monitor. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the download started?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I have a 2tb external that I split into 4 partitions, two of which are encrypted. One of the partitions (TimeMachine) will mount successfully after I enter the password. The second encrypted partition almost never mounts successfully, even though the password is correct. Maybe once every 100 tries or so.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Is having multiple encrypted volumes/partitions on one physical disk a no-no?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 30, 2015

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Picking up on copy/paste chat. Does anyone know of a program that will let you make a list of frequently copy/pasted items? I don't need my copy paste history, I just want to save 10-15 things that I can quickly grab from a menu, either in the menu bar or maybe right click.

Anything come to mind?

skull mask mcgee posted:

I know PasteBot was recently released. No idea if it does blacklisting though.

It looks like this might have what i'm looking for...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I've been using the 50GB option for syncing photos and files between my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air with zero issues whatsoever for years since Apple has massively improved iCloud. It's really good and I highly recommend it for seamless, simple cloud storage between Apple devices that just plain works.

Right now i'm using Backblaze to back up about 1tb of images. It looks like I can get a 2tb iCloud account for not much more, and i'm sort of thinking I should switch to that. Will iCloud make all 2tb of photos available on every device? What if each device doesn't have enough space? Does it automatically only load some files on each device?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

American McGay posted:

Just had my first instance of the "balance mysteriously shifts slightly to the left for an audio input" bug in 15 years of using OSX. Glad to see that it's still out there, perplexing users after all these years.

I thought I remember reading this was caused by an errant, strange keyboard shortcut, like ctrl + shift + cmd + option + v + left or something? It was just subtle enough that you wouldn’t notice until you’d done it a handful of times??

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone here tried Swift Playgrounds on an older Macbook? On my 2015 MBP the fans immediately go to 100% and my battery starts draining like crazy. The app seems super slow, too, so i'm just going to use it on my iPad. It seems like this isn't an isolated issue (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/129167), is this because it's a Catalyst app?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Clark Nova posted:

lol why is this still eighty dollars in tyool 2020?

I went to go use it the other day and couldn't believe it was still paid. It should just come with the OS!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/02/rosetta-macos-11-3-strings/

I kinda figured Apple would remove Rosetta at some point in the future, but to set up yanking the Rosetta strings so goddamn soon just seems super stupid to me.

Is this supposed to be like when the conquistadors burned their ships upon arriving in the New World?

This is kinda like merrily stretching long fuses from the cargo hold in full view of the sailors into the captain's cabin months before they're due to arrive

That seems....inconceivably soon to remove it. They didn't even announce Rosetta 2 until what, June of 2020? To not have it around for more than a year seems crazy.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So anything iCloud related on my 2012 Mac Mini on Catalina has seemed to stop syncing/updating. Any attempts to disable iCloud options just results in a spinning wheel. Any ideas, or am I just on the edge of unsupported hardware and should abandon this old thing?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a simple free program that will let me edit the text in a PDF? I don't understand how such a simple feature seems to be cartelized.

PDF’s are a nightmare in that they can be a container format for all sorts of bullshit; editable text, rasterized text, JavaScript/XDF fields, etc, etc.

Preview at the very least will let you draw and annotate over almost anything on a PDF, so i'd try that first depending on what you want to do. If you’re trying to change the actual text in the document, that all comes down to how the original document was prepared. Acrobat DC is unfortunately the most flexible. I’ve also had ok luck with PDF Expert, but I think that’s paid as well.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 5, 2022

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

OldSenileGuy posted:

A couple years ago I started paying for 1Password (after using it for years when I bought it outright, I begrudgingly switched to the subscription model to get the latest updates), and it's been totally worth it.

But upon switching browsers, I've noticed that suddenly the "cmd-backslash" shortcut to autofill logins/passwords doesn't work anymore. It just invokes 1Password with a "Install our browser extension!" notice. And even when I install the browser extension, "cmd-backslash" doesn't work. Instead, it wants me to click the little 1Password icon in the toolbar or in the login window, and then type my master password.

This is much MUCH worse than the old method of "hit ctrl-backslash, authenticate with touchID on my macbook" Is there any way to get the old functionality back? I haven't updated to 1Password 8 yet, but I assume it doesn't fix things?

EDIT: I should clarify, the old functionality still works on Safari, but it does not work in Firefox or Opera. They both demand the new browser extension that (apparently?) doesn't support TouchID.

1password and it's shortcuts have sporadically stopped working for me much more lately, super frustrating. When I got my new Macbook I decided to drop 1pass for Keychain and it's been great. I was able to import most things into it and the fingerprint reader works great in Safari. Unfortunately I don't think Keychain works well in other browsers, but it might be worth trying if you're still having trouble. Plus, the price is right!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Violator posted:

As doingitwrong said, they’ve transitioned their main focus from being an Apple platform based password manager sold to people to a cross platform corporate security ecosystem. They have almost 1000 employees, most of them working in corporate sales.

Am I remembering right that they took investment money for the first time sometime in the last ~3 years?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

jaegerx posted:

What he said. I dunno who your host is but that’s the way. Don’t use ftp anymore.

I think lots of folks say FTP but they're almost always using SFTP. In my experience most hosts force SFTP these days...I hope.

If you've got to use SFTP, Transmit is the best, but Cyberduck or FileZilla will do as well.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a timemachine backup on a 5tb external hard drive. It takes about 1-2minutes after I enter the password for the drive to show as available again. Is this normal, or is it a sign something is awry with the drive?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone have a duplicate file/photo finder for OSX that they like? I'm trying Gemini 2 right now, but am a little bummed that it's subscription based. There's also 'Duplicate File Finder' which seems to get OK reviews: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12

Anyone have any recommendations?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I just got some Airpods Pro 2 with USB-C, they work great when paired with my iPhone, but when paired with my Macbook they make Safari unbearably slow, especially any page with a video player like Youtube. Just interacting with the page is slow, scrolling, clicking, etc, and there's a delay from clicking play to when videos start to play. I did some searching and found others with the same problem who fixed it by turning off spatial audio. I tried that but it's still behaving the exact same way. Anyone else run into this?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The Grumbles posted:

Stupid question probably but is everything updated? AirPods firmware has a weird way of updating (there’s no way to force it, and the case has to be charging near your iPhone or something odd like that.

Edit: wait I guess the new AirPods should have new firmware right?

Updating to MacOS Sonoma fixed it! Not sure what was going on there, but there were a bunch of AirPods related things in the release notes and all seems well now. Thank you!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I recently bought a refurbished iPod and want to load it up with my old music collection. I found a backup from 2013 with all my music and a .itl file of the iTunes library. I’ve followed every guide out there on how to load this into the Music app, but no matter what I try I can’t get Music to switch to using the old library. Holding option when I open the app doesn’t do anything. I know I could just drag all the music into the app, but it would be nice to have all my old playlists and stuff.

Has anyone run into this?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Last Chance posted:

You using a Mac? Not Windows, correct?

The key used in Windows for picking a library has always been different than Mac (Shift I think)

Yeah I’m on a Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Last Chance posted:

Hmm. Are you holding down option/alt before clicking the Music app and launching it?

That’s usually how I get that dialog to show up. Not sure if it works if you hold option while it’s already launching/icon bouncing

Yep, holding it down before I even click 'Open'.