Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I got the Apple wireless keyboard a while back, and every single time I rebooted into Windows or back into OS X again the pairing broke and I had to go into Bluetooth preferences again. That pretty much soured me on Bluetooth peripherals, especially compared to the 99.9% reliability of Logitech dongles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

smackfu posted:

Thunderbolt docks can't charge, right? So still need at least two connections when on desktop.

Correct. Future USB versions might work for this if Apple actually uses what's coming down the pipes there (enough bandwidth for a screen and enough power carried to drive the computer) but at the moment there's nothing.

smackfu posted:

Edit: I thought the Thunderbolt display could do it, but even though they bill it as "one-cable convenience," it's still got two plugs on the Mac end.

This gets especially annoying for the Air, which has the Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayport port on one side and the charger connection on the other.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

japtor posted:

Course the future is looking sketchy with DP adopting DockPort (DP+USB) as an official extension and USB apparently planning to route PCIe and DP over USB…like Intel's original plan.

Who knows if it will happen (it probably won't, given how long it took Firewire to go away), but it would be nice to see Thunderbolt and power connectors and whatever eventually all go away and be replaced by a bank of USB ports with bidirectional power transmission.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

flavor posted:

I want all data to be transmitted wirelessly and all power by induction.

That would be rad, but I don't want to accidentally microwave a pet when it steps in the way of the power induction beam to my 980W Mac Pro.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

japtor posted:

Then just use 10 of those 100W USB cables :colbert:

Exactly!

Edit: I want a computer with 50 USB ports.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Martytoof posted:

With the price of RAM these days I would say that 8GB should be the MINIMUM anyone would consider. That's obviously a wild generalization but I feel pretty safe standing behind my statement.

This is completely correct.

Basically the only reason these days to not consider maxing out on RAM immediately is if you have an old Mac Pro and don't want to buy 8 x 16 GB all at once. :pseudo:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody know where to get Win7 drivers for the Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac/Bluetooth chipset? I got a mini-PCIe one for an old Mac Pro, and it works great for wifi and BT in OS X, but Windows for some reason will recognize the Bluetooth part but not the wifi.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

drat. Them's good people for aggressively refunding moneys when they realized they couldn't make the project work, though.

BobHoward posted:

That pinstriping brings back memories, and they are not good ones

It reminds me of playing Exile II: Crystal Souls on OS 9.

Or, like, that one game where you're a time traveler dinosaur running around collecting eggs or something, you know the one?

Pron on VHS posted:

After years of admiring my friends macbook pros while hating my Sony I finally joined the club :)

First Mac ever, or just first Mac laptop?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

First mac ever, although my dad had that Mac Newton tablet thing from the 90s and I played with it a bunch as a kid

For a couple of apps and stuff to start off with, take a look at:
  • OpenEmu (super-versatile emulator, works with Xbox and PS controllers)
  • Homebrew if you do any techie/development stuff (it works absurdly better than the other "*nix stuff on OS X" packages like MacPorts or Fink)
  • Bartender (lets you control the system tray icons)
  • f.lux (adjusts screen colors based on time of day)
  • Atom (the best general-purpose text editor on OS X right now)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Holy loving poo poo. What is it on Apple earbuds that causes iTunes to open up/play/stop playing/do anything? Every time I move my head or adjust slightly loving iTunes opens and starts blaring music and I am getting incredibly sick of it. Is there a way to disable this stupid functionality?

That's not "functionality", it's "your earbuds are broken".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I can't use the Magic Mouse because it bends my hand into some kind of horrifying crab claw after about five minutes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I suspect headphone jacks will eventually go away for Macbooks, but they'll hang around a while longer yet because they can't pack in external speakers with a USB-C connector for cheap yet.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Ah drat. I'm so bad at knowing what good pricing is for this.

What pricing should I aim for when looking for a 15" 2015 model?

Just wait for October so the new ones with the touchscreen function strip bump down the prices of all the old ones.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Until stuff like Civ 6 starts coming out on Macs on launch day, there will always be a pressing reason for Boot Camp to exist. If it goes away, expect college students to start reconsidering their computer choices.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

In my four years of study and one of lecturing I never met ANYONE else in college running Windows on a Mac

Well, yeah, people aren't going to be playing games while studying, by categorical definition. :v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

My bad! I just didn't see it as ingrained as USB 2/3.0 yet.

The good news is that while it's annoying change now, it's pretty good for the future because this is a do-anything cable. It's fast enough to replace monitor-specific connections and can do bidirectional power, so as it gets more widely adopted it should be possible to remove all the extra power cables from desktop setups (since the same cable can do data and power from the desktop) and to remove extra cables from laptop dock setups (since the same cable can do data one way and power the other way). There are already a fair number of high-end monitors that do the "data one way and power the other way" thing, too.

Though, this is assuming that lovely Chinese knockoff USB-C cables don't kill us all from electrical fires before this stuff gets common enough to replace existing medium/low-end gear.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 25, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

enojy posted:

I've got the idea, you've got the basic computer engineering ability, let's make some money: USB-C ESC key

Make sure to make it out of fair trade bamboo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Are there USB-c to regular USB hubs out there? That would make a difference I guess. I just have so many USB devices that it seems like another dongle I'll have to get.

The idea for ~the future~ is that you do monitor -> laptop with one USB-C cable (or monitor -> hub -> laptop with two) and that does both data (to monitor) and power (to laptop), and then connect other stuff to the monitor or hub and it acts as a passthrough. It's annoying that there's not much hardware for it yet, but it does mean one less cable for every device once it catches on more.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 27, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

On the Thunderbolt Display it technically is one cable

Apple talked up an LG monitor for it with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, which I find just surreal. It's like they've completely forgotten how to make new desktop hardware.

ShoogaSlim posted:

So... the new Mac computers won't have a lightning connecter. If you're listening to music on your phone with lightning headphones and want to quickly switch over to your computer... you can't.

Good job rear end in a top hat designers

Don't be silly. Just use a Lightning to analog adapter, and connect that to an analog to USB-C adapter, and you'll be all set.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find it kind of funny that people here are complaining about stuff switching to USB-C before it's in wide use, when the classic freakout about the original iMac was it switching to USB 1.0 before it was in wide use. You're two decades late to the panic party, people.

Admittedly, I like this mostly because "USB-C everything" and the supporting ecosystem means I'll be able to remove some of the cables from my desktop setup sooner or later.

Dave Thorpe Painting posted:

What're my connection options? The enclosure also outputs USB 3.0 so I could run that through to an AV adapter, which would also give me HDMI (which I also need), but I'm pretty sure that this method would not passthrough my interface.

I've gone through the Apple Store's adapter page, the only thing I'm seeing that would even possibly work would be to go from USB-C -> Thunderbolt 2 -> Firewire 800, but I would still need to get the AV adapter for HDMI.

The ports are combo USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, so get a Thunderbolt 3 -> Firewire 800 converter once somebody makes one.

Standalone USB-C to HDMI adapters are pretty cheap, going by like five seconds of searching on Amazon.

kuskus posted:

On my Mac Pro, all ports are saturated. 10Gbs ethernet adapter, promise pegasus, vendor drives, two displays, regular ethernet, tablet, mouse, 3D mouse, drives.
All my drives at home are TB/2 or USB. If we got a new MacBook Pro, I couldn't use any of this stuff without multiples of the following:

USB-C to USB - $19
USB-C to TB2 - $49
USB-C to AV adapter (HDMI) - $69
USB-C to SD - $49

Or, just get one of the billions of Chinese knockoff Thunderbolt 3 hubs that are going to appear in Amazon by tomorrow morning which will have most or all of those included.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MrChupon posted:

It's probably an engineering nightmare but how awesome would individual key displays be ala that Optimus keyboard whose mock-ups have been going around the web for a decade now. Then we'd have no bitching because nerds could have our esc and other functional keys, and mom could have facebook "like" keys, and software could reveal a shitload of keyboard shortcuts when a modifier key is pressed.

There's a company working on a keyboard like that, with an attempt to keep the price at merely "high" instead of "ridiculous" by putting an e-ink screen under the keys.

Having to look at your keyboard for each program to see different shortcuts is the stupidest loving thing I've heard in my life.

The point of that kind of idea isn't to make you look at your keyboard. It's to let you look at your keyboard instead of checking menus or game settings to figure out which key is the shortcut for a specific tool in Photoshop or how you toggle the rotational symmetry in Kerbal Space Program.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I told my windows-using brother the price of the fully specced 15 and he laughed his head off.

It sounds like he's just not courageous enough to spend $4299 on a laptop. :shepface:

The Mac Tax does come with being able to resell it eventually for a significant chunk of the original retail price, though, unlike most other laptops I've dealt with.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PS4 + mac is a delicious combo

As somebody who's never had a Playstation: How so?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a loving USB C to MiniDP adapter so I can use my 27" Cinema Display with a newer Mac or should I just throw it in the garbage
Three seconds of searching on Amazon.

well why not posted:

Thunderbolt is 'fancy mini displayport' at this stage.

The USB standard has to move, but I'd be a lot happier if it were an evolution rather than just a full-on replacement.
From what I understand, the main thing is that the combination of "up to 100W power" and "data one way and power the other" as features makes a new port the best way to keep somebody from burning their house down by plugging in a poorly designed legacy USB device.

well why not posted:

i'd really love to hear how everyone feels re: macs not right clicking
Two-finger tap = right click.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MrBond posted:

I think y'all are being trolled

one butan

You have to be courageous to hold the Control key while tapping on a trackpad.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

prom candy posted:

I would absolutely not buy a Razer laptop and expect it to work for several years as my primary computer, no chance. I still have serious doubts about any non-Apple manufacturer because all of my pre-Apple laptop memories involve 30 minute battery life after owning the machine for a year or so. Any shiny new laptop can get a good review, but I'm interested in what someone thinks of it two years later.

:agreed:

But, then, I'm still salty about having two Dell laptops in a row in college suffer total hinge failure in the span of like 6 months each.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Interesting side note: Nintendo Switch owners are now buying Macbook USB-C chargers because nobody trusts USB-C wall warts from other companies.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pivo posted:

It would be cool if they could make a USB-C/Thunderbolt MagSafe. Not sure how it would work, maybe bring the pins far up on the female end so you don't need a long sheath and the cable could just pop out. But still backwards compatible with regular USB-C cables.

There's basically a third party version of this already, but it has a bunch of lovely reviews.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The iMac Pro is impressive and yet really, really dumb.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

As a non computer guy, why is it dumb?

1) Lots of Apple's long-time customers are mad about the last Mac Pro being hard to maintain and upgrade because of its design, and this is even worse

2) General risk of it literally catching on fire (or at least hard drives or other hardware dying prematurely) because of all that high-end stuff crammed behind a metal shell with tiny vents

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm still using a 2009 Mac Pro with frankenflashed video cards.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arivia posted:

Luceo and I have identical non-Retina 2012 MBPs with the 650Ms. It's just painful to play WoW on now. He has probably kept his in better shape though.

Not an MBP, I mean, but one of the 40-pound boxes. I've got plenty of :pcgaming: and have basically no reason to even think about buying another machine yet.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Choadmaster posted:

1) I need an enclosure for the four 3.5" drives I had in my Pro. I've searched for Thunderbolt 3 enclosures but they seem few and far between, with no claims of Mac compatibility. Any ideas? Thunderbolt 2 enclosure with an adapter? USB-C enclosure?
Drobo does Thunderbolt 2 enclosures with a pseudo-RAID-5 that will span across multiple drives of different sizes and let you hot-swap them without data loss. Reviews for them tend to be either "incredibly amazing" or "it killed my dog", though.

The OWC ThunderBay is pricey for an empty enclosure but rock-solid according to everything I've heard.

QNAP does pricey 4+ drive NAS/DAP enclosures that are basically full Linux servers, so you can run whatever arbitrary services on them alongside file stuff.

The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter should work fine with any Thunderbolt 2 enclosure or DAS, since the protocol is the backwards-compatible, it just limits it to the lower throughput of the Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Choadmaster posted:

2) I'm going to make my current 4K display into a second display. The 4K display has HDMI, DisplayPort, and Mini DisplayPort. I guess I need some kind of USB-C to (Mini) DisplayPort cable, but I'm having trouble actually finding such a thing. Should I get a short USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and then just use a normal DisplayPort cable?

What you want is either a Thunderbolt 3 -> HDMI 2 adapter (the v2 for HDMI is important for 4k), or a USB-C -> DisplayPort adapter like this one.

Note that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are actually two different protocols that use the same physical connector. You can use a Thunderbolt 3 cable for USB-C, but you can't use a USB-C cable for Thunderbolt 3, and a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter will work with any previous Thunderbolt devices (including Thunderbolt 1, at a lower speed), but not with any USB devices.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 7, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd bet they're not going to mention it or touch it until they can do it alongside the new Macs Pro.

They can rebrand it as the "Mac Pro Air".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I had one of these. I miss it so bad.

The industrial design was great. Don't know why every monitor case today has to be dumb plasticky crap.

I would shell out serious $$$ for a big 3K or 4K monitor with glass and metal design and (just as important) a tiny bezel.

The giant-rear end black bezels are why I never bought any of the recent Cinema Displays/Thunderbolt Displays even though I loved the rest of everything about them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

10.4 plus Classic 9.2 is cool for all of those retro Mac games like 3 in Three, Marathon, and...uh, Doom?

I think you can still download Nanosaur.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To go with fake charger talk: There also endless amounts of fake and real but lovely USB-C cables (as in, major companies literally just wiring the cables wrong). If you get any USB-C stuff, use the reviews of that one engineer from Google who tests everything down to individual pins to make sure that it won't burn your house down or randomly not work for things supported by the USB-C spec.

Also, enough companies are loving up plain USB-C that I absolutely wouldn't trust Thunderbolt 3 cables that haven't already been directly approved by Apple or Intel.

Sheep posted:

Also the touchbar is an interesting gimmick for 20 seconds but ultimately useless. I'd much rather have escape and function keys.

IMO, there's some huge wasted potential with using the Touch Bar as a Dock replacement rather than app-specific stuff. Having an app switcher as part of the keyboard would mean recovering a bunch of screen real estate and maybe being more efficient too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Apple considers MagSafe to be a proprietary technology, they usually go after knockoffs with heated legal action.

They do let slip people selling refurbished adapters and now that they are switching to the USB-C protocol that opens up Mac laptops to using alternative power adapters.. but only the new ones.

With USB-C, Apple is one of only a tiny handful of companies I trust to make a USB-C charger that won't set your house on fire. Everybody else including Anker, Logitech, etc have made huge fundamental fuckups in the field of USB-C cables and chargers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SourKraut posted:

Care to elaborate on this?

Look at Benson Leung's USB-C reviews. He's found a number of cables/charges by big names that will literally set your devices on fire under the right (wrong) circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Holy poo poo look at this great new hub it has everything you ever wanted for only $99.99!

https://www.hypershop.com/blogs/news/hyper-releases-the-mother-of-all-usb-c-hubs

April Fools!

Take that and swap the floppy for an EGPU and you have a product that (as long as it was priced under $500) I think a lot of people would actually consider buying. All the current EGPUs suffer some combination of taking up a lot of desk space, being absurdly expensive even empty, or for some stupid reason sharing a single Thunderbolt controller for the graphics card and the USB ports so you can't actually use the ports in the box without everything stuttering constantly.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 2, 2019