Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thread, I could do with some thoughts - so I've got an 11' iPad pro w/magic keyboard, and a Win11 desktop currently. As the ecosystem poison has started to make its way through my bloodstream - iphone/watch/airpods etc, and as I find myself beginning to enjoy the look/feel of Apple's UI's and workflows more, I've decided that I'd quite like to use MacOS as my day to day desktop, and just use the Windows PC hooked up to the TV for video games.

So the crossroads I'm at is that I could either get a mac mini (probably 8gb/256 M2, - or even a refurb M1 - which I think will be fine for my day to day computer use), or I could sell the ipad + MK and use that extra cash to buy an M2 MacBook Air, which you can obviously still use docked as a desktop.

I've got a fairly nice 1440p 144hz screen, and my mechanical keyboard + mouse that I'm happy with. In terms of use case, I type for a living, essentially, and additionally I sometimes produce music for fun, and every now and again edit podcast interviews for work. I don't make visual art or use/own an apple pencil (I had initially been looking at the ipad air, and came upon a good deal on a 128gb pro for the same price, which is how I ended up with an ipad as my main portable computer).

When it comes to the iPad, I do really like the size, and portability, and being able to use it for ebooks, reading in bed as a tablet, but it working well as a note taking/web browsing/email machine on the go.
And the 120hz display, that I'd be losing with the macbook. But on the other side, I'm always aware of the limitations of iPadOS - even though I can do the bulk of my work within them - and I wonder whether that would get more annoying as I get more comfortable using macOS on a desktop alongside it. I don't know. Is MacBook Air-as-everything-device the way to go, or a mac mini as a complement to my iPad pro an elegant solution? Any thoughts appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the Mac mini advice!

I suppose my next question - apologiesvfollowing directly on from another RAM discussion - is assuming they are close in price, am I better off getting an M1 Mac mini with 16gb ram, or an M2 mini with 8? The M1/16 being around £50 more.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Plus if it’s a work machine then no reason you can’t write it off.

Sadly doesn’t work like that over here! (You can only do so if self employed, which I’m not)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 8, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Even as refurb, the pro model would be way too expensive for me.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ended up picking up a mac mini - at the very least to take it for a 14 day test drive (thanks thread). I really like macOS. It also turns out I'm eligible for an education discount, which helped. But that discount means I can also just spring for an M2 MBA, which is really tempting me, as it seems like I could still use it docked as a desktop replacement, and, obviously, have a full proper computer on the go. It would however mean trading in my 11' iPad pro and magic keyboard. I love the high refresh rate of that thing, and the fact that I can take it out the keyboard and read books and articles in bed. But I suppose it is a luxury item (for a non-visual artist like me - I don't even own an apple pencil) in the way that a laptop probably isn't.

Is the display on the MBA significantly better/worse than the 11' M1 iPad pro? Is there some hassle to do with docking/undocking from an external display on the reg that I should know about? Am I likely to see big performance dips with this fanless design if it gets used to drive a 1440p, 120hz monitor? Would my eyes used to the gauche luxury of the ipads 120hz screen ever readjust to a 60hz MBA display?

Grateful for anyone to talk some sense into me either way before this 2 week return window dries up.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

why would you need to get rid of your iPad? It’s like a $200-300 difference between a Mini and an Air.

It’s a £500 difference between the m2 mini and the m2 air. (and 500 dollars in the usa so i don’t know where you’re getting that price point).

also why is it whenever someone asks for advice in this thread and says ‘here is the exact upper end of what i can afford and how i can afford it’ there’s always a response saying ‘just spend hundreds of pounds/dollars extra instead’

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Money is a bottleneck for most people. That's why it's money. And why I'm trying to figure out which of these is right for me because I can't afford them all, but can afford one (either an M2 MBA or a mac mini and iPad Pro).

I don't think it's helpful to suggest that someone spends over their budget, and then when they push back to suggest they're too poor to be having the conversation about the thing they say they can afford if they trade in some other thing.

Like, I would still need to sell something (probably my ipad pro) if I wanted an M1 macbook in any case (which I don't, because I could then afford an M2 via education pricing anyway, and they are newer, more powerful, and more beautiful looking). Why are you like this

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 12, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m sorry, have you given an “exact upper end” to what you can afford?

Generally, if somebody says 'I can afford to buy X if I sell Y and Z', then that is what they can afford to do.

I've bought an M2 mac mini, which I am debating returning for a Macbook Air, which would be possible if I also sold my iPad pro and magic keyboard. I phrased it like this, with a binary choice and some specific questions, because this is what I can afford. I was really looking for answers to those questions - the benefits/comparisons between the ipad and the macbook, and between the macbook air and the mac mini - to help me make that decision. I don't have an extra 300 quid to spend without selling those things, which is why I have asked these questions. This is exhausting.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 12, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GutBomb posted:

This really isn’t that complicated. If you’re getting a Mac for gaming, don’t. Just get a pc. It will cost thousands more than the pc to get a mac that’s half as good as a PC for gaming. If it’s not for gaming, any Mac with 16GB is likely going to serve your needs just fine for the foreseeable future and 32 GB is only a little bit more money. The vast majority of what people use their computers for doesn’t actually need the processing power we throw at stuff so just get a decent machine and be done with it.

If you’re doing video editing or CAD go higher end. Photoshop, software development, web development? Any m1 with 16/32gb is fine. Just get the computer that feels the best to use.

Edit: in short, every Mac currently available (with 16GB or more of memory) will serve 99% of people well for the next few years. Just get the one you like the form of that meets your budget.

I don't think this is aimed at me, but just in case (as the last few posts got a bit muddled), I'm not getting a mac for gaming. I've got a windows gaming PC that I'm happy with that now lives under the TV.

edit: Anyway, sorry for the detour. Still keen to hear people's thoughts on the below, if they they have any experience with the two devices. This is the crossroads I'm at currently. As I say, I really just write for a living, light computing really. Edit podcasts once in a blue moon (which the iPad pro handled without a hitch, beyond the occasional app bug)

quote:

Is the display on the MBA significantly better/worse than the 11' M1 iPad pro? Is there some hassle to do with docking/undocking from an external display on the reg that I should know about? Am I likely to see big performance dips with this fanless design if it gets used to drive a 1440p, 120hz monitor? Would my eyes used to the gauche luxury of the ipads 120hz screen ever readjust to a 60hz MBA display?

Grateful for anyone to talk some sense into me either way before this 2 week return window dries up.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 12, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GutBomb posted:

It was aimed at you, you’ve been really vague about what you’re gonna do with the computer you want so I was covering all bases.

Sure. I guess I'm just asking specific questions about screen quality and MBA-as-desktop performance because those are the things that'll most help me figure out my setup, because I know that I an either afford - a base model 8GB/256 MBA, or the current setup of a base m2 mac mini and M1 11' ipad pro, because those are the two options I like the most and can afford. I'm not really looking to, nor am I in a financial position to, consider anything else.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

The MBA and the Mac mini have the same cpu in them. The performance will be identical for all meaningful purposes. An M2 is an M2 no matter what it’s been put in. The only difference is the mini has a fan, which will make a small difference in workloads which require sustained high load - for the typical home user the only thing that will do that is a video game.

The screen on the mba is probably one of the best you’ll get in a 13” laptop; but it’s still a 13” screen. Compared to the iPad Pro aside from the refresh rate they’re honestly pretty close.

If you have a desktop screen already; (presumably you do since you already have a pc and you’re also considering a mini) then that isn’t a problem because you can dock it to your screen whenever you want.

So now the question is, do you want a mini and an iPad or just an MBA. The only thing you really lose with the mba vs the iPad is touch. The iPad is marginally more portable, but i would think it a stretch for that to be a major concern for most people. Do you care about touch? Would you be happy using a laptop in situations where you currently use your iPad?

The air is much lighter than most windows laptops in the same class and with it being fanless personally I’d be fine using it on the go. Battery life is no longer an issue with AS chips - it’ll last as long or longer than an iPad would between charges. In exchange for losing touch you will get a more capable full computer experience.

Personally I’d be tempted to get an M1 MBA rather than an M2 and use the saved money to increase the RAM to 16gb. 8gb is kinda tight these days.

Also - I probably wouldn’t buy the air if you have to sell your Magic Keyboard to do it. Using it docked is going to suck without a seperate keyboard and either mouse or trackpad. If you can step down to an M1 mba and keep the Magic Keyboard that is also a reasonable option.

That's really useful, thank you.
(By Magic Kayboard, I meant the attachment for ipad pro with kb/touch pad - I have a nice mechanical keyboard + trackpad I'd use at a desk.)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've been toying around with it (because new mac and so wanting to play with all the things), and I got it working for a while, and then it's kind of been janky. I'm having to use BetterDisplay, which is an app that lets the os play a bit nicer with 1440p monitors, so that might be the issue - moving windows over to the iPad also moves the dock over for me, and it's just generally a bit unreliable. Universal control (moving the cursor over to the iPad from your desktop) however, works great!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Does BD let you interact with the shared screen via touch? It’s not a dealbreaker but my natural inclination is to reach over and scroll the document I have up for reference at any given time.

Kind of, but with limited gestures, as far as I can tell. Like you were using a trackpad on a mac.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok, I'm drifting towards picking up an M2 13' Macbook Air with my edu discount (which I only have due to work and so won't have forever!). Although a comment in this thread about M3 MBA's had me spooked. If they've just released the 15 inch MBA, its unlikely an updated one is round the corner? I know you're generally supposed to buy what you need when you need it - but there's been such a stink raised about the RAM/storage configs, I'm wondering whether it's likely they'll revise the base model for any future Air now we're out of the chip shortage.

Also, the midnight 13' is the nicest looking laptop Apple have ever put out since the original white MacBook. There's a huge amount of grousing on reddit, Tech youtuber reviews about it being a fingerprint magment. But like my ipad, which is the grey model, gets instantly fingerprinty too, which you notice the first time, but then as you use it more the smudges kind of disappear into the device (same with my dark green iphone). Are people just being huge internet babies on that one?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 15, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Doc Fission posted:

Thinking of scooping up an Air since I have an education discount as well, but I've never owned a MacBook. Any recommendations for setup out of the box? It's mostly gonna be a leisure use machine for writing, light programming and pirating I mean legally consuming media but I've been a lifelong Windows + Ubuntu user so idk what to keep in mind really

From my first ever macOS experience this week (besides using an ancient MacBook for work in the past that was not tied to any of my personal accounts and so never really felt like mine to settle into) it feels like if you treat it like you do an iPhone initially (albeit one that can install apps outside of the App Store) it’ll make sense. By which I mean all of the built in software tends to work best and be the best integrated with the machine, so you can kind of just add things based on when you hit a wall with what’s already there.

The big benefit I discovered with the Mac mini (which I’ve now traded in for a refurb base m2 air!) as a lifelong windows user is because there’s a limited amount of hardware skus, you can usually find a pretty specific solution to any troubleshooting you might have (just be prepared for the answer to occasionally be ‘this is impossible on Mac).

Also try and use all the gesture based navigation as much as possible. It usually stands in for Windows’ window management, but feels a lot smoother once you get used to it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The Arc subreddit (assuming it's not part of the protest) has a sticky thread with a never ending supply of Arc links too.
I really like Arc although the big thing its missing is support for Keychain or whatever the stock password manager is called. But even so, it's well worth a go.

This base level M2 is... seriously excellent. I'm sure its doing a lot of page file swapping or what have you, but I couldn't tell. As a personal machine, it's pretty much perfect. I was a bit hesitant to lose the high refresh rate of my last device, but whether it's the higher PPI doing more work to smooth things out or some other witchcraft, I really don't notice the difference. Maybe my eyes are just getting old. I feel like I used to be able to tell more.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yea in strictly monetary terms insurance is usually a bad deal. That’s the whole point of insurance. You will probably pay far more than you get out. You are paying to not have to be so stressed about your expensive portable device. Much like with on the iPhone, you will probably nanny it less if you have insurance on it. Compared to other forms of insurance, apple care is fairly well integrated as part of the whole ecosystem so certain things are way more convenient if sometning does happen (no long phone calls and forms to fill out). Doesn’t cover theft though. Buy it if you think it will put you at ease. That’s all there really is to it.

edit: that's not me saying you should definitlely get it, and people who act like its a must for everyone are crazy imo. I've had phones/laptops/whatever that have lived out their lives beyond their warranties with zero damage/problems/etc, and some that haven't. I had no insurance on my pixel phone, I kept it in a pocket with my keys, and I scratched the top of the screen in the second month of having it. I've had my iphone for almost a year and there's the tiniest scratch on the bezel and that's it. I guess with a laptop screen protection is part of the design. These things seem pretty well built. Are you really going to want to pay a premium to replace a scratched outer chassis in 3 years?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 18, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Can anyone recommend a cheap + reliable continuity camera mount for a desktop monitor? My monitor is curved so it's a little chunky at the back, so it'd need to have a bit of give. It's the last thing I need for my home office!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

It literally can’t have a positive value unless you end up needing it - ie you break something. most people will not break their computer. Many people will go their entire lives without breaking their computer. When you get Applecare you are literally gambling on whether or not you’re going to break your device, and betting against yourself; except the odds are overwhelmingly on the side of you not needing it. It’s dumb.

Ok ignoring the insane and hard-to-conceptualise lottery ticket argument - which is convoluted and confusing - there is a big benefit to apple care, which is just the ease of use and how customer-friendly the process is.

Before I sold my iPad, it developed a tiny light spot on the screen. It was in the last 4 days of its warranty. I took it in to the Apple Store, and within about 10 minutes I was walking out the door with a brand new device, no questions asked, nothing extra paid. Had that happened a week later, I probably would have wished I had the apple care on it. Also, this didn't happen because I broke or dropped something - the device just started to go to poo poo after a year.

When you go through an actual insurance claim there's so much back and forth, and tedium, and legal stuff - and generally the insurer is going to do what they can to minimise what you get out of the whole transaction. It's a real hassle and you usually come out of the experience feeling a little hustled. I'm going through an insurance claim at the moment, and the amount of time I have to spent in a phone queue listening to muzak is staggering.

So I think in that sense, the fact that you can just walk into a shop, have your issue resolved with zero resistance, by people who at least seem like they genuinely want to help you, is such a huge plus. Like, don't get me wrong, there's lots of incredibly predatory poo poo that Apple does in terms of how it sells you devices, the psychological tricks of their pricing ladder, all that stuff. But I think once you've bought the thing, their support is really good, and extending that support is a very attractive prospect.

Even putting insurance to one side, I've never known 3rd party repairs on computery stuff to be anything other than a huge minefield. I just don't want to ever again have to haggle with some dude in a repair shop that doubles as a vape shop, convincing him that I know enough about computers that he should stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes, and even then run the risk that the repair doesn't do the job.

Is that worth £60 per year for you and your computer? I don't think anyone can answer that besides you. But I think the quality of service is really a much bigger factor than how the maths of repairs vs yearly premiums or whatever works out.

edit: the TLDR of this is that you are paying for a service, and if you're only doing it because you've 'done the maths' and you think you're somehow clawing back some of the money you've given to Tim Apple over the years, you are an insane person.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 27, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

drat I guess a surprising amount of people never took a stats course?

There’s nothing all that complex about the idea of being sold a policy that you are likely to end up needing and using at a significant discount to the expected value you receive from it, it just normally isn’t done because the insurer would lose money. But that’s the idea of social security / health insurance - what if you got sold a health insurance policy at an expected loss for the insurer (pre existing conditions) because it was good social policy? A significant amount of people are going to need it, but not quite everyone, and on a statistical basis if you will take out more on average than you are putting in then it’s a good idea to take it, because you are being given a valuable thing at a discount!

There is no “lottery ticket” argument either, just people who need the concept of expected value explained to them lol

Seek actual advice before planning your retirement pls m

Nobody in this thread is financially illiterate, they just find you really annoying. Everyone here understands how insurance works.

edit: my previous point being that there is a significant value add to apple care which is the ease and quality of service, which I honestly think if you're asking 'do I want this' is as useful, if not more useful a way to think about it than just weighing up repair costs vs insurance premiums. How stressful do you find the prospect of third party repairs? For me the answer is 'very' and so I don't mind getting apple care on certain devices.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 27, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok so can we talk dockin'

I've got a nice metal vertical stand that the MacBook Air m2 goes in when I want to use it as a desktop. And then I plug in the Magsafe charger and a thunderbolt 4 to Displayport cable for it to drive my 144hz monitor.

Is there a more elegant but not ludicrously expensive way to do this? I guess it'd be nice to have just the one cable to dock, as it's always a bit fiddly doing both the MagSafe charger and the usb c to display port cable.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are any of those little usb c adapters out there that will both act as a power lead for the laptop, and drive the monitor at 144hz. Or if anyone else has any docking ideas!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I use a regular Samsung 144hz 1440p monitor which is nothing special. Thunderbolt 4 to displayport cable gives me 144hz at 1440p just fine with my MBA!

But yeah that's why I'm asking about docks - whether I can have something that just plugs a single usbc or thunderbolt connector, and can still give me 144hz at 1440p, consider the MacBook needs to also be connected to some kind of power cable to drive an external monitor.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Wait does that website have lists of docks too? I mean I'm happy with my existing monitor.

edit: I also want to say that maybe this makes me an easy mark but I like that Apple are leaning into the whole braided cable thing. The cable for this laptop is very nice, and even when I bought one of the new trackpads it came with a nice black braided lightning cable. I wonder if it'll last longer than their plasticky ones did.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

jabro posted:

Everyone can just block that Paul guy. Makes your lives in this thread more harmonious. It’ll make mine likewise since I won’t have to see his posts in your quotes.

Wait is he nom epique? The guy with the forced gimmick, weirdly exclusive to apple related threads, that never really took off?

Anyway why are people getting mad about good computers. Computers are good, and these are good computers!

So I’ve been using the Magic Trackpad for a while on my desk and I really like it and it was quite expensive but also my hand cramps up a fair bit while using it. I don’t want to throw in the towel and just get a real mouse, even though my hand is probably cramping because it’s been 30+ years of using real mice. As the gestures are good and it looks good on my desk. I’ve heard mixed things about the Magic Mouse. Anyone got any trackpad tips

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I’m looking forward to when the M4 comes out; then I can pick up a M4 Mac Studio and call it my “M4 Cube”

I know there's lots of reasons why this probably won't happen while Tim Cook the supply chain guy runs Apple, but I do really wish they went for radical redesigns with the Mac mini/Mac studio more often. It used to be such an event to see this cool new design piece looking thing on someone's desk like every couple of years. Those new iMacs look lovely but I just haven't seen them around as much. But I suppose if both the iMac and the macbook have had a redesign (and I think the new macbook air looks really, really nice), maybe the little silver boxes are up next?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The mini is a funny one — just last summer I replaced my parents' one from 2012 with a brand-new one, and while I transferred the data from one to the other I had them stacked on top of each other, and aside from some port arrangement they're basically identical.

Here's to another 10 years, gently caress it

Apparently the boards inside the M series minis are like half the size of the old ones. So Apple could definitely shrink those computers down if they wanted to although there is something comfortable about the current form factor, and it's not as if they take up loads of space anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/m1-mac-mini-teardown-why-isnt-it-smaller/

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i have no idea how realistic their goals are but from the marketing it seems like apple wants to sell the m* imacs to small businesses too especially in customer-facing scenarios

I mean they do look great on a counter in a shop

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yeah even the lowest end Apple stuff is great these days unless you absolutely need more ram. M1/M2 chips are insanely good.

Just to add I bought a base level M2 air because it’s where my budget landed and I’ve never seen any kind of out of memory error. I’m sure it swaps to the hard drive a lot but this is such a fast and well designed machine I never notice unless I decide to punish myself by staring at the task manager. The only thing that I think might start to drag it down is future macOS updates, but they’ve been pretty well behaved about keeping things fast and lightweight across all their tech these last few generations. It’s not like the old days where one wrong iPad update would make your device unusable. So I’m optimistic. If you have a use case where you know you’ll need more RAM - or you just have the money for it - bumping up to 16gb won’t hurt though. Especially if your livelihood depends on editing large files. I type for s living and this is the best typewriter I’ve ever owned.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, last questions before I maybe drunkenly pull the trigger on that 13" Air y'all pointed out:

Am I going to regret getting such a small screen? I have no problem connecting to my large 4K at home but like I said the primary purpose of this machine is on-the-go photo editing.

I think this is really going to be a matter of taste. I've always used 13' laptops and I really like the form factor. If I'm gonna do work that wants a lot of space, I'll sit at a desk with a nice big monitor. Because Macs are already kinda expensive, I found the price premium on the 15' a little hard to swallow anyways.

My opinion is that when it comes to screen size - with any device really - your brain will get used to whatever the size thing you have is and treat it as the 'correct' size. It's why whenever you pick up a phone that is bigger or smaller than your current phone, it always feels a little too big or too small. I went from an 11' iPad to the 13' laptop and the screen felt huge for like 2 weeks. So it really comes down to taste, ergonomics and portability. It really sounds like you might want to find a computer shop where you can actually look at this stuff in person to figure out which size works best for you.

It is however worth noting that screen scaling works very well on a Mac. You can give yourself a lot more desktop space by scaling things down, everything still looks nice and crisp and smooth, and the only limiting factor there is how good your eyesight is.

Fedule posted:

As a rule, if you do computational heavy lifting that involves really big files, RAM is important. But if your RAM need is "having a ton of apps open at once", you will probably be served fine by the base model since the SSD is fast enough for basically instantaneous swap as far as most users are concerned.

Since buying my laptop and initially feeling very anxious about whether I'd made the right decision in terms of RAM (I did, it's fine), I really do think now that there's just a huge fundamental problem with the approach tech reviews/youtubers have to specs/power. Just about every reviewer has made a huge amount of hay over there being a need for 16GBs, but that is also a class of people who mostly use their computers to edit the 4k video reviews of the computers they are currently using. Content creators reviewing laptops/phones/etc via benchmarks for how good those devices are for content creation just seems like such an obviously broken feedback loop.
Like I'm no apple apologist and of course it'd be nice if they threw the kitchen sink at their SSD setup/RAM configs for every base model, but I do think they genuinely have a good grasp in the current lineup on what demands the kinds of people who would buy an air over a pro (me) would be putting on their machines. So many intial takes on these things put so much emphasis on the lack of fans and heatsink and what a disaster it was or the lack of parallel SSDs, all of which lacked the context of how people use them in reality. I mean so far the lack of fans/moving parts is one of the coolest things about this laptop. It's completely silent.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 13, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Wasn't there someone in this thread who had a 8GB Mac Mini and posted a screenshot of the "out-of-memory error" that they were getting?

Only time I’ve seen it and it was the the mini too oddly) was when using a leaky web app that had bugged out and wouldn’t play fair with the other arc tabs (outlook or teams I think). But that one was obviously leaking memory all over the place.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know if Apple is checking to confirm if you're a student with their current back to school + gift card deal?

Here in the UK you don't need to be a student but you do need to be able to verify yourself via a recognised university email address.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I feel like I shouldn't complain about any aspect of the current keyboard for fear that they start Iving it up again and it'll be all my fault.

But it's real weird how the backlight catches tiny flecks of dust stuck around the edges of the keys and lights them up like spotlights. Like little light pipes under every corner of every key. Sometimes it's dust, other times it's just seeing the actual backlight under the key edge in a single spot because of how the imperfections of the key edges sit. It makes me have to obsessively pick out every tiny speck that gets caught in there because otherwise it drives me crazy from a purely aesthetic sense. But it also vividly illustrates just how gunky all previous keyboards were getting, I just didn't have an obvious way to see it.

That happens but it is only noticeable from some angles. If you stand the laptop up like this /\ and then blow some compressed air at the keyboard you'll get most of it out. While you've got the laptop up like that, you can give the base of it a few strong pats like yer burpin' a baby. You'll be surprised how much you'll get out. You just need to get lucky and dislodge the right glob of nerd juice and then you might be in the clear.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey shout out to everyone who suggested the MX master 3s. This is the most luxurious mouse I've ever used. Even the scroll wheel feels real nice. I think I'm going to go ahead and sell the Magic Trackpad. I'd set up the trackpad to the other side of my keyboard thinking I'd use both, but it's so easy and comfortable to use this mouse I don't even feel the need to use gestures when I'm at my desktop, and I barely touch the trackpad now.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I miss expose gestures and my custom three finger swiping for opening/closing/navigating between tabs in my browser/finder/pages (with BetterTouchTool) when I'm using an external mouse and keyboard at my desk with MacBook Pro.

I have an MX Master 3 as well and really like Mac Mouse Fixer for smoother scrolling and reversing scrolling for the scrollwheel without having to run Logitech's background process.

I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to mimic the gestures I miss on the MX Master 3 in some way. I should look into that.

The Logitech software lets you set gesture equivalents across all the buttons on a per app basis. So when I'm in safari, the side scroll wheel hops between tabs, but in office programs it zooms in and out. You can also set lots of gestures on that weird thumb button - so you hold it down and drag to replicate gestures - which the Logi software also lets you do on a per app basis. But I find the thumb thing really awkward to use tbh. Maybe my thumbs are too long.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The verge has a pretty cool new newsletter and this documentary was linked in the recent edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxRi34PqWo

It's a surprisingly good feature about the Apple Newton, its production history, and the community of computer weirdos who grew obsessed with it and still use it. There are some interesting interviews with John Sculley and lots of former Apple engineers, looks at prototype units, all that kind of stuff. I was so surprised to discover the extent to which some people really love the Newton. Worth a watch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a solid usb-c docking station for a M1 MBA that supplies power and has hdmi, dp and USB-A.

Would also like this (for the M2 air), especially if it can support 120hz over dp alongside power and a couple of usb-a ports!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol it just dawned on me that after getting the trashcan and iMac Pro in the last week, I own every pro mac desktop from G3 except the 2019 MP and AS-MP(and G4 cube and maybe some G3/G4 iterations).

But the cube is the main one. It's the canonical Apple computer

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Just switched from a Chromecast to an Apple TV and the difference is night and day. Well worth the $130. Hulu is a laggy pile of garbage on the Chromecast.

I've just gone from in-built smart tv apps to Apple TV and it's really great yeah. I'm glad the new remote is good and sensible and not like the older ones. My housemates are just sat there for way too long staring at those screensavers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Started using Moonlight to stream my Windows desktop/games to my MacBook, now that the windows machine lives with the TV. But on the MacBook, there's a regular stutter every 2 seconds over wifi, which I've read is unavoidable due to the the way the wifi radio halts all traffic whenever it does a sweep for other nearby Apple devices - something you don't notice normally but interrupts this kind of streaming pretty severely.

So I'd like to give ethernet a go - something I can just plug in to one of the USBc ports when I'm at my desk.

Anyway what's people's experiences with those cheap little USBC to ethernet dongles? Is there anything I ought to know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BobHoward posted:

yes. The fireworks start here, when forums poster SlowBloke posted a link to a GamersNexus callout video titled "The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=189#post533884894

This started a meltdown at LTT. They keep on proving that GN's critiques were pretty well founded; "Lie-nus" refers to the fact that Linus Sebastian's first response contained a whopper of a lie.

As the controversy built, a former LTT employee added fuel to the fire. "Fuel" doesn't do it justice, it's more like she threw a giant bomb into the fire. The sudden widespread criticism of LTT made her able to feel safe finally talking to the public about why she'd left LTT - persistent long-term harassment, both sexual and nonsexual. She also revealed how loving useless LTT's HR was at dealing with this, including gems like 'you're obligated to try to work things out with your harasser before going to HR'. Linus isn't personally implicated in the harassment, but the organization he built and the values he brings to it are rotten.

Couple o points

1. SA had nothing to do with the LTT meltdown, it wasn't started by anything here. I know that's probably not what you mean but just to clarify

2. Not do downplay the seriousness of any of the workplace allegations, but in real terms the whole controversy has blown over as far as I can tell. Looks like they're basically back to business as usual?