Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There should be a disclaimer next to all your posts that you liked P1 better than P4 because that's not normal

I dunno I think right now Technique's sounding like my new best bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I trust him to back that opinion up with something, it's cool.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

vanov posted:

Third, the best JRPG ever is The World Ends With You :colbert:

I'll still step up to bat and say that Arc the Lad 2 was solid plot-wise like so many other games were not.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah I was gonna point out a lot of "new" ones from Strange Journey were Demikids revivals.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Dr Pepper posted:

Why would you buy an entire system for a single game in the first place?

Do you want me to go back through this thread finding all the "WELP gotta buy a Vita day one" posts from the announcement? Because there were plenty.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

baku posted:

what are the bugs

Game had a lot of crash bugs and I think at one point a trigger could break that screwed your entire save file.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It was more that the emulators at the time exacerbated a few of them, and so the translated game was basically unplayable in ZSNES without a lot of savestates. I honestly don't know how it held up on actual hardware, but the fact that a v1.1 ended up being created and released is telling.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
And the answer always ends up being P2, which makes the whole thing moot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just love some of the weird mechanics they tied into the story (see: rumors changing store contents or opening up sidequests). Also blah blah FES burning me out of any goodwill towards the P3/4 formula.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Dr Pepper posted:

How did an expansion pack to Persona 3 "burn you out" of that?

I played The Answer and it basically revealed all of the loving flaws in that system and magnified others. So I was just done with that poo poo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

kirbysuperstar posted:

You must be joking. Metis.

Yeah, this is no contest, Metis is easily the nadir of PCs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The big problem is that a lot of people have been saying for years now "get ready to go back to the 16-bit era in terms of releases being skipped over". A lot of really, really stupid spending has hit companies in the wallet, and now bringing stuff to (region) isn't seen as something that can be fitted into the budget, but "how much do we think it'll sell to that audience? oh, like 12 guys? okay gently caress 'em". This poo poo's only gonna get worse before it gets better, and it probably won't just be portables within the next two years!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you want the ultimate endgame of the SMT series as a whole, go try Wizardry IV. The "hardest" ending even ties into the whole religious symbolism thing too.

By comparison to some of the poo poo older games would pull on you, "teleport mazes and a poison floor" is cake.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
^^ Don't forget that, if I remember Wizardry right, you had to cast a spell to see where you were/which way you were facing after a spinning floor trap... but once you made that move it would spin you again.

Like, let me tell you a story about growing up with dungeon crawlers. I remember going through one where I was stuck on a floor for days (honest-to-god DAYS) because I wasn't picking up on a single teleport trap. So my maps kept getting wildly out of sync and a single mistake on those that you didn't know where it came from? You're chucking the entire goddamn thing and hoping you find your way back to a landmark or stairs to start again, meanwhile, you might be running out of food in-game or losing hours of progress if you die in the center...

Not even the most horseshit of horseshit dungeon crawlers in this day and age goes to the extremes of those old PC titles.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Len posted:

What is going on there?

The brief summary: a mass of false walls and one-way doors, and oh, the floor wraps around, too. Plus, spinning floors. And a few of those areas, as you can see, are solid traps which you have to teleport out of and/or die in.

Wizardry IV is held up as a bastard-hard game for a reason, kids.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
To be fair, Wizardry IV was basically the developers giving people who had played the original trilogy, broken it over their knee, and asked for more challenge the only challenge they would ever need again. Various random encounters throughout the game were the endgame parties of people who sent in a character disk to the designers, for instance. Some of it was horseshit, but it was the horseshit that some of us wanted at the time.

I don't think anyone ever asked for similar again afterwards, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TheBigTwo posted:

Is Shin Megami Tensei If... that bad? I've been waiting for it to be translated before playing it and I wanna know if it's gonna be disapointing. I was under the impression it would be really cool.

Good concepts, terrible gameplay. Hands-down the worst game to play in the series WITH THE EXCEPTION of the MSX Megami Tensei title.

Worst Shin Megami Tensei by far though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, even worse than Demikids. At least for all its weird ideas, Demikids didn't think things like Sloth were a good idea.

explanation: You have to keep running down the clock so the students slowly chip away and make a tunnel further into the place. So just keep making a circuit of the place. With random encounters on. And it is NOT quick.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TurnipFritter posted:

It's not that it's a surprise, it's that this is the first glimpse we have of his design and he's in the support slot rather than an actual party member.

When you fight for Chaos, you fight with Lucifer.

Sadly I don't have the original poster in a good enough resolution to gently caress with right now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Booky posted:

Basically one character got turned black for Revelations: Persona.

Specifically, if you've never seen it (images from HG101):

became

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm considering playing one Megaten game a month from start to finish for the rest of the year.

Someone stop me before I hurt myself.

Have fun with Demikids! Play both of the ones that came to the US, they have seperate plotlines, sort of like a lovely Persona 2.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Fascinatingly enough, Sega Sammy is currently denying that this is a thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Rinkles posted:

Not sure I understand the connection you're drawing.

Location tests, man.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is this how Persona 1/2 fans felt when 3 was all extra anime-y and High School based and 4 was basically Scooby Doo?

I still feel this way. I'm so goddamn sick of these two games.

I'm not even poo poo-talking them, I just want a loving change of pace again for variety's sake

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Allarion posted:

I cannot hate this Persona dancing game.

gently caress it, even I'm on board with this, I love me some rhythm gaming.

Even though it probably won't be Theatrhythm good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Light Gun Man posted:

Who knows, though.

Jeremy Parish, over at USGamer.

quote:

Jeremy: Persona Q? As in Etrian Odyssey? (The Japanese title of EO is "World Tree Labyrinth," Seikaiju No Meikyuu, which they abbreviate to SQ.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Proto Cloud posted:

*plagued with bountiful bugs and budgeting issues

THANKS CHRIS AVELLONE!!!

That hasn't really been the case for like... 2 or 3 Obsidian titles now.

On-topic: I just discovered that apparently the original Print Club cabinets were made by Atlus, leading to this error message showing up in the 2013 MAME year in review:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just bought SMTIV. Any DLC I should grab/avoid?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nate RFB posted:

Can't say it better than the SMTIV thread itself:

Did not know we had a seperate thread for that, thanks for the tip.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I was entirely down with SMT4 when I reached Tokyo, somehow the deepest basement of my shitass castle, but the moment I really fell in love with this game was the part where I reached a boss and got to choose to slaughter the rear end in a top hat who wanted me to be his muscle for no reason instead of the demon who wasn't really doing anything that I saw.

One turn victory thanks to Press Turn and everyone firing guns wildly. I got to perform a mob-style execution and still further the plot. This game's amazing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Beef Waifu posted:

Welcome to the MegaTen thread where all we talk about is Persona.

Don't fuckin' look at me I tried to save it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
My only gripe about SMT4 is that the dressup is so limiting because it's... you know. Actual, stat-affecting armor.

I'M WEARING KAMEN RIDER PANTS AND I GIVE NO FUCKS

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I thought all the VR training quests were basically garbage in SMTIV. Then I unlocked #6 and #8. Holy poo poo.

I know it's stupid as hell but I just could not stop laughing at R. Lee Ermey quotes with all the censorship as "hee-ho"s.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hivac posted:

So I'm pretty far into SMT4. How can I tell if I have the neutral path and when does it show up?

Hey, high-five, you're roughly where I am and doing the same thing I did. I got saved from that fuckup by someone telling me at the last second "No goddamnit if you don't see Stephen you did it wrong" as Walter appeared.

Then I had to refight that prior boss and hope to poo poo the other choice would right my path. (It did. Thank god.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Honestly the biggest bastard move the game does is giving you the alignment dude in the bars and then removing him from the picture through both parallel Tokyos so that you've got this whole chunk of game where you're blindly guessing... RIGHT BEFORE THE ALIGNMENT LOCK

Also I wish like hell I could take screenshots of this game because I bought the crazy armor from Downtown Ginza and I look like a drag queen now, this is the best SMT ever.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pureauthor posted:

So why don't you guys just answer the questions with whatever you feel is most correct and take the path you end up on?

Because I always go Neutral first, since it gives you a good idea of "Okay, so the other factions did this and this, do I want to see either of those from their side?" (This is why I never did Law/Chaos in Strange Journey since those seemed more... dehumanizing? than usual.)

That said, I do want to kick whoever designed the Neutral endgame arc in the nads, especially for "You need to go grind delivery quests that you skipped". I loving hate waiting an hour between Smartphone spawns. My 3DS is just lying on the charger as I listen to a podcast and wait for the search point to respawn.

edit: OH MY GOD THERE'S SOME loving QUEST SOMEWHERE I'M MISSING, MURDER THAT MAN

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 19, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I legitimately want to know the answer to this question, if anyone can tell me. Do I need to be proud of someone being extremely childish at Atlus USA, because it was a localization choice, or did the original Japanese version of SMT4 also turn (late-game Terminal spoiler) the Mara boss fight into a parade of dick jokes and innuendo?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, but generally I can't think of the game going so far with it. I know it's a pun, but I just wondered if the dude wielding it was going as balls-out with the jokes in the original text.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
99% sure the Neutral endboss of SMT4 is the biggest pushover of a final fight in the series. Holy crap.

TETRAKARN TETRAKARN TETRAKARN oh it's over? wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hivac posted:

To be honest this is most of the fights that I've run into in that game, with a few Makarakarns here and there while you just nuke the poo poo out of the boss with Flynn.

I dunno, I had a challenge with some of the other bosses at endgame because they punished overreliance on one strategy (ie, if they are pushed too low they begin Almightying like a motherfucker, or just cast Tetraja, etc.), whereas the very last one just... didn't try. Even before debuffs the only Almighty skill I saw barely did 100-200 HP per hit - a full turn of it didn't kill a single demon.