Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Sector E only had one really annoying "screw you" moment. Everything else just took patience and dungeon smarts. I can't think of any dungeon in SJ that's as bad as people make it out to be. I completed all the maps (besides the new game+ only one) fine on my own.

I'd rather have big dungeons with lots of do instead of boring hallways like any Persona game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Catalina posted:

Speaking of Cell Phone Charms...

Those are adorable. I love how incredibly pissed off Tatsuya looks.

...so where's the Igor charm?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, not sold on the fighting game. That's just dumb. The only remake I've been okay with is Eternal Punishment on the PSP for awhile now, because it goes with IS and I'm that much of a whore for Persona 2. HEY SPEAKING OF

So I knit, as I don't think any of you know. And I'm a gigantic dork, so I knit nerdy stuff.

Turns out there are a lot of knitted Cthulhu patterns, but guess who's left out? Yeah, you all know where this is going.

Knitted Nyarlathotep, drat straight.

I didn't just design and knit him, actually. I also dyed the green and blue yarn. And spun everything myself. I built this from the ground up. (well, minus shearing the sheep and combing the wool. That's for next time.) Okay, so for a bit of the sewing I had to use some commercial yarn I had lying around, but that's it. Specifically, the arms and legs attaching to the body. Head, knees, and tentacles are all sewn on with handspun.

Here's a close-up of his face and hands. Sorry about the lovely picture quality, all I have is my cell phone. Also my incredibly messy room.

From the back.

He's absolutely huge, too. I really wasn't expecting him to be so big. But carrying him with the head on my shoulder, legs are right around my hips. The weird tentacle head thing just makes him even taller. Also he's way floppy. The neck especially could've used more stuffing. I think next time I'll try to make his legs a bit shorter and arms a bit larger. Oh well, this is version 0.1 anyway. I'm going to try again someday...just probably not now.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

My concern is (and it's a pretty minor concern, given the subject matter) is that they've hit upon such a success with the Persona series on the consoles that we're likely to not see a "true" SMT game outside of the portables. You look at the DS and you have Strange Journey, the kick-rear end Etriann Odyssey series and Dark Spire and it's pretty evident where they're keeping their "hard-core" line.
I, like you, would likely kill a man in cold blood for a current gen, legit SMT game, but I think consumers have shown them where they're willing to throw their money. And it ain't where we want it.

Good thing I don't have to buy their anime dating games, then. I played P3P and realised that no, this isn't for me. I don't feel a need to get P4 either. I'm grabbing the IS remake and EP if they ever decide to give us it, but I'm sure not getting their next P3/4 rehash.

Turns out that as a consumer I don't actually have to give a company my money. If Atlus wants to pander to Japanese neckbeards that's their prerogative, but I am in no way obligated to give them my money to keep making games I don't want. And if they're going to turn into Gust the least they could do is give us Gust's awesome music.

This entire thing is making me super-grumpy. I guess I'm just annoyed to see another game company almost perfectly follow Square's path post-FFVII.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'm no good with selling games so I don't feel good about putting together an IS thread OP, but if anyone else does I'll be there with a "No You Don't Have to Grind Unless You Have OCD" guide and a mini-contest for poor people, since apparently this year I'm rich and Justice isn't.

Everyone with money to throw around should have it preordered by now :colbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Wait, I thought I extended that offer to The Grimace, not you.

did you try to trick me :(

(that offer wasn't really a competition, I just felt super generous and then I realised more poor types might want a copy so I thought of a little contest to give out more)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

FINALmasa posted:

Yeah, I've played a bit of Persona 2, and it has Playstation RPG written all over it. It feels like it takes forever to do anything between the load times and the encounter rate, and the whole drawing cards out of monsters reminds me a lot of FFVIII. The environments also feel like they could have been done better, perhaps with an isometric perspective, and instead I felt like I was getting lost relying on the lovely perspective and camera controls. It clearly has some good drama and comedy in it, but it all depends on how willing you are to play something from the dark ages.

On the other hand, the loads aren't any worse than P3/4, but playing Nocturne is a breeze compared to them. The battles play out like Phantasy Star, although there is an auto battle option. I don't really know why you'd use it unless the battle happens to be a total joke, though.

Most battles can and should be taken care of with one shot with a fusion spell. If you're not glancing at the Analyze menu and then grabbing whatever elemental fusion won't hit any strengths right off the fusion menu, you're playing Persona 2 wrong.

And if you're hitting up every encounter for cards, you are ALSO doing it wrong. Hit them up when you don't feel like fighting, it's not an obligation. Contract with the most annoying demons in the dungeon and milk them for Free Tarot. You barely need to summon any new Personas in IS anyway, Philemon hands them out like candy. I think...Pixie, Hel, Tsukuyomi should get you through the entire game, if you're sure to make Phil hand you upgrades. (EP you need to switch much more often, yeah)

I'd seriously call P3 more grindy than P2. Just be sensible about what you do and don't give in to gamer OCD.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

It's also the easiest way to get Fool cards without save states.

Of course you don't really need Fool cards ever except maybe once to make a boss fight trivial instead of just easy.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Thorias posted:

Just started up Persona 2: Innocent Sin, anything I should know?

Fusion spells are your bestest friends. They hit hard and give mutations, like stat increases for your Personas, extra ranks, or hidden spells. You start with one that's single target and decent for bosses. Other useful ones:

Fire-Wind-Fire/Wind-Fire-Wind/Earth-Water-Earth/Water-Earth-Water make hit all spells in an element. With enough DEX you can ride this until the very end of the game. Set your other two characters to something like Low-End Breaker (Zanma-Hama, kill lowest level enemy) or a doubled elemental spell to weaken or clear out stragglers.

You can ride story Personas for most of the game. You really, really don't need to grind Tarot cards. Don't do it. Just chat when demons talk to you or when you really don't feel like fighting. Save up to get a few useful Personas instead of changing for every dungeon. A few useful, recommended Personas: LOVERS Pixie, for Garu and mega-LCK when she gets to level 8. HERMIT Nekomata has a good variety of skills for the early/midgame. DEATH Hel come in about the same time and can hit nearly every element in the game with a Zionga card. MOON Tsukuyomi comes in at the end of the game and has two buffing skills that make the final boss much easier.

Generally let your friends handle situations by themselves. But if you have the option to leave them behind, don't take it. Explore the cave of exposition thoroughly, you should have five key items by the end. These are the keys to making Philemon hand you upgrades. (which means not having to hit the Velvet Room, which means less grinding)

IS is an easy, easy game. Don't be surprised that you're cruising through. Upgrade your equipment when you need to, not every time you open a new store. Chill our and don't let your inner completionist get the best of you.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Balk posted:

Kandori is Tower? Wow, the hat and glasses make make it hard to tell that's him. He does have the mirror, but I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it.

It's his P2 design, so those are actually those Chinese balls you roll around in your hand. And yeah, he's Tower, or at least Nyarlathotep is.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

No one cared about P2IS in the US, so there's no way in hell it's coming over. Not enough teenage anime dating for today's Atlus fans. Plus by the time they could get a US release out the PSP would be deader than a doornail. Don't get your hopes up.

It is kind of funny that EP was the only one to come over back in the PSX days and IS was the only one to come over now, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Marogareh posted:

Gotta love all the ways he fucks with the heads of the main crew if that's really him.

It just says "Cat: Platoon, ten-hut!", so god knows.

The other new character designs look a little...off. There's not much you can do when you're adding stuff in a decade later, but it's still a bit jarring. The lady with Tatsuya especially.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Huh, the dungeon screenshot looks like there's a change to the mapping interface of just the fading out feet instead of highlighting. I wonder how that will work for the mapping quest, unless they bring back the highlighting on the minimap if you have a map quest open.

And that art of Tatsuya is literally just the original EP art in a more generic style. Goddammit Soejima.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

That's all of them, dude.

I've never found Persona 2 that bad for gameplay. A lot of people seem to play it like they have to get every Persona, and you really don't. Pact with the most annoying enemies in the dungeon, farm a bunch of Free Tarot, and you should easily have enough. That and learning to use Estoma.

The loading times on P2PIS are pretty shameful, though. Rest of the game is worth it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Krad posted:

How can you guys bear grinding for those tarot cards? I hated that part about P1/2 and still can't get over it.

You don't have to because you can coast through pretty much the entire game on what Philemon hands you. Maybe get a Pixie to give to Lisa in the beginning, but other than that you never really need to grind for tarot cards. You can if you want, but seriously. You don't have to.

I keep telling people this and they never seem to get it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Krad posted:

But then what's stopping me from just hitting select and auto-battling everything in sight (psp remakes)? Screw it, I'll try it that way anyway.

Nothing, and the PSP remake is easy enough that can probably carry you through the game. Just be sure to get the Customs/Primes/whatever the official name is I forget to get you through Caracol.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's worth picking up something that has Photon Cannon for Eikichi later in the game.

It's worth picking up a few other things too, like Nekomata and something with Estoma, but it's not strictly necessary if you never want to contact with demons at all.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

I started playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin. When does the story really start to pick up? It's interesting so far, but not really engaging. I feel like they keep introducing new elements so often that its getting hard to keep track of. I'm entering Mu for the video shoot now. Should I be getting into the meat of the story soon or do I still have a bit to go?

Stuff picks up a bit after the next dungeon in that you have a purpose and some solid leads. After that there's one long-ish dungeon and a couple of short ones before stuff really gets wacky.

What are you having trouble keeping track of? IS never really stops introducing crazy poo poo, so it's probably good to get a solid foundation before the story goes off the rails.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Technique posted:

Okay, this is the second time it happened, so i have to ask: has anyone else experienced random crashes in P2? Like, suddenly the PSP just shuts off? I know i didn't touch the power button, and it has never happened in any other game. :sigh:

It's never turned off on me, but it's frozen a few times. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, just completely random hard lock.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

vilkacis posted:

:goonsay: Actually, at least one (I think it's both) of the first two main SMT titles let you continue as long as you had one human left (though you don't always have more than one human character).

No SMT-related title did the "MC death = game over" thing until Nocturne, if I recall. It's pretty much entirely a recent thing. It's just that no one plays anything made before Nocturne anymore, if they even go back that far.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

I didn't see anyone else post this, but for those who don't know, Gideon Zhi will be releasing a translation of SMT: If shortly. Info and eventual release will be here: http://agtp.romhack.net

Did he say "release" anywhere? Or are they just taking it on as a project? I'm not seeing any real information there.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Just remember, all of this is only happening because Persona 3 went anime and sold a ton. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Siliconera has some new Persona 2 art and screens, specifically Eriko, Nanjo, and Baofu.

...it took a surprising amount of will to not type "Elly, Nate, and Baofu" there.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I still argue that you lose more from not being able to pick up on the IS parallels from the beginning of EP than you gain from the mystery. The worst part in going IS-EP is the massive loss of plot momentum you get from having to start over with a new team. That and the dungeon reuse really kills playing them back to back. If you take a break it feels a bit fresher and a lot less grindy. The Mt. Iwato recap is in there for a reason!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I think there's two more dungeons after you finish that one? The final dungeon is pretty long, but you can pretty much skip the entire next one if you know how to solve the puzzle.

Yeah, that's true. But there's some decent treasure in there and by the you should have the Golden Apple anyway. (get Hastur, hit up the fifth area of the Bomb Shelter for Byakyees, get really good reward)

Note that you get dragged straight into the final dungeon at the end of the penultimate one, so you might want to hit any shops beforehand. You can get out of the final dungeon, but it takes awhile.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

It's kind of interesting they put Tatsuzou in the OP this time. He falls by the wayside a bit in the original game for all he's the big bad right up until Mt. Iwato. Then again, that's the problem...he gets maybe two dungeons where you're specifically going after him before the game reminds you he's just a speedbump on the way to punching Nyarly's face in. Compare Joker, who you're going after for the entire first half of the game. It's a little better if you haven't played IS first, so you don't know going in he's a speedbump, but he still gets pretty overshadowed.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, but you're not very good at these games in general, dude.

Pierce posted:

I'll pick it back up. It just felt like kick the can after the Masked Circle reunited and then the temples popped up.

It kind of is. The entire sequence is just to give Jun some character development and clean up that Shadow plot point. But the dungeons themselves are super short and after that it's pretty much straight into the final dungeon. (tip: Stock up on Chewing Souls, since you won't be able to get out for a bit)

P2 has some pacing issues, but so does every other Persona game so I can't get too mad at it. The temples are a lot shorter than the massive dead zones in P3.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

In other Persona news, there is a sad lack of dicktounge in this sprite. (Minor EP Tatsuya mode spoilers)

From other pictures, it looks like Nyarlathotep brought along the whole gang...at least the ones they already had designs for. I wish/hope they made them Personas as well, I want a themed Nyar beatdown so bad. It's too bad Nodens sucks so hard so you can't bring him along.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't really give a poo poo either way. The 'nuances' of honorifics can be portrayed through just plain ol' dialogue, it just requires careful writing. That said, keeping the honorifics really doesn't bug me at all. It's just a thing.

Also keikaku means plan will never get old to me.

I'm usually like this, but I'm almost to the point where people bitching about honorifics is worse than people wanting them kept in. Yes yes, careful English translation, you all prefer localizations, you're so superior to us plebs that just want to play a game. I guess it's just because I've never seen an argument for dropping them that wasn't dripping with condescension for anyone that disagreed/didn't care. But that's not the honorifics fault.

...So, how about that SMTIV? I'm looking forward to it! I loved SJ, so I'm hoping this one is even better. Every dungeon like Sector E! Every single one!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Blaine the Train posted:

I'm finally trying to get through Innocent Sin, and I just had a quick question--is there any reason NOT to return Personas for items in the Velvet Room? Specifically the unique starter Personas?

Also, I just finished the Smile Hirasaka dungeon, and I was wondering if there's any sort of sidequest/rumor stuff I should be tackling before I hit up the next dungeon?

Maia is pretty useful for cheap out of the battle healing, especially if you got her hidden skill. But other than that, no, no reason not to return them. The rewards aren't that great either, so might as well do it once you get something better.

And I don't think there's anything super exciting after Smile Hirasaka. As long as you're regularly checking for new rumours you'll be fine.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Tokyo is a poo poo place to live in nearly any work of Japanese fiction. It's like living in New York City in American fiction.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'm all over corridor exploration with first person battles, so I'm looking forward to this. It looks pretty awesome!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Blhue posted:

I think people were hoping new numbered SMT game would equal revamped designs, rather than resprited and lightly animated versions of the same designs we've been seeing in game after game.

You mean like how Nocturne reused a bunch of designs from the SNES era, just in 3D? Hm, yes, I can see how you might get that impression that they redid the designs for every game, after they completely failed to do that for any of the previous numbered games.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Is there any reason to play Innocent Sin on the PS1 with the translation patch instead of the PSP remake? I'm looking for something to jump into after I'm done with Golden, but I don't know if Innocent Sin has any sort of feature divide like P3: FES and P3P did.

Do you hate loading times? Because the PSP remake has a ton of loading times. It also both streamlined and made the battle system more awkward, so it's a bit of a toss up there.

I'd still probably go with the remake, because it's quite a bit more polished. Though under that it's still a 90s JRPG, so don't get your expectations up too high. Get ready for random encounters.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

The only real problem with P4's story is the meandering mid-game when the murder mystery part of the plot barely expands at all. That whole chunk of time when everyone thinks it's over because they caught Mitsuo but it's insanely obvious to the player that the game isn't even close to being over yet is paced really badly.

So was everything after you beat Itsugi in P3. Calendar gameplay and having to fill up an entire year just fucks with pacing.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

My one problem with SJ was the hidden door to get out of the teleporter maze. That was the one time I broke down and looked up a map online. Everything else I bulled through and was more or less okay with. ...okay, Grus got pretty annoying with all the tiny interconnected rooms and poison floors, but it still wasn't as big of a gently caress you as that door.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

What the actual gently caress?

Well, we'll see if it turns out to be good or not. This could be so amazing, or it could be awful. I'm not going to try to predict one way or another yet.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

You can't repurchase your starters but they're useless once you outgrow them anyway. Don't worry about it.

...okay, if you get Eros and Maia's mutation spells (Media and Diarama, I think?) they're amazing for out of battle healing thanks to their dirt cheap SP cost, but that's about it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Devil Survivor's Beldr is in the game too (though now they're actually spelling it Baldr).

Huh. It's cool Baldr's in, I like him, but man I hate that particular design. And he's probably not getting to be a boss again for awhile, so no redesign.

Then again, not like the rest of his pantheon is doing any better. How long is Odin going to have his lovely SNES design instead the rad-rear end Soul hackers one?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

FauxGateau posted:

Both of the first Personas basically had mini-apocalypses. Major spoilers for P1 and P2 Like 1 dealt with a weird dream world created by a sickly teenager, where a guy used it to become a god to destroy the real world. Whereas Persona 2 dealt with rumors becoming reality to trigger an apocalyptic scenario. Also Hitler's in it. Both of them are potentially world destroying events, so I suppose that they could count as apocalypses.

Innocent Sin is a full scale apocalypse, really. The earth flat out has its surface scoured of all life and then stops turning. The only place to survive is Sumaru City. EP just has some dragons loving poo poo up, so I'd say that's maybe a mini-apocalypse but no one ever refers to it again so...

Off topic, but seeing Devil Children in that timeline picture reminded me of the weird-rear end demon list they had. There are so many things that only ever appeared in Demikids/Devil Children that I'd love to have in a more mainline SMT or Persona. Like, not just obscure stuff like Angrboda but even Zeus only ever showed up in Devil Children, if I recall correctly. Just give Kaneko a bunch of money to redraw like that entire demon list and put them in a real game already. Then maybe we can dump some of the ancient designs we've been seeing since the SNES. (yeah, yeah...too expensive, will never happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Zhaan posted:

And two, is it actually important to try and get Fool Tarot? All the methods I've seen online seem to be unreliable or depend on using an emulator and save states.

It's not even slightly important to get Fool tarot. Fool personas are good for their level, but IS is such an easy game you don't really need them. Plus Philemon hands you just about everything you need to beat the game just through the story, assuming you get the Custom Starters/Ultimates.

My real advice about Personas is just to make sure you have a good team for Fusions and find something with Estoma to cut down on random encounters. That should get you through the game just fine.