Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
^^^^^ I for one hope that all the Archangels get new designs in IV. The old 'Crayola People + Wings' were both disappointing and boring especially compared to the other angels. (Seraph and Cherub in Strange Journey are so loving cool)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's why a lot of Vita owners bought a Vita though

It's why I'm getting one. I mean, other games for the vita have to come out eventually, right?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey man, I bought it for P4G, but being able to play MGS3 whenever I want is worth $300 alone.

Oh that's right, my PSN library can be ported onto it. P3P, P4G Patapon, and Final Fantasy IX seem big enough to get that new console. Can the Vita handle the PSN Ps2 games?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Funky Student :colbert:

Yosuke :colbert: .

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Radish posted:

If you're looking for homosexuality in a game just get Persona 2 because whoh-boy.

Fun part is, I'm not sure which character you're talking about!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Baofu. :colbert:

Or if we are sticking just with IS, then Eikichi is the best character in persona History.

It seems you missed something, but I fixed your post.

Seriously though, baofu's pretty cool and I hope if there's P2 characters in DLC/sequel for P4:Arena he makes it in. Flicking coins at people till they die would be so fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I miss Eikichi, that kid probably turned out pretty psychotic if the P3 Trish TV interview is anything to go by. Narcissistic violent sushi chef visual kei rock star? He'd probably fit right in with the P4A crowd with his El Mariachi machine gun and some knives.

Dear P4:A Developers please make this happen, tia.

Though to be honest I wouldn't want Eikichi in by himself. I mean he is the best character, but he only really shines when he has a crew to work off of (Tatsuya to be the serious, almost angry straightman to Michel's antics, Lisa to argue with, etc).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Petiso posted:

If story is what you'll be playing for you should definetly play FES, in easy mode if you like, unless you're a returning player the gameplay improvements don't make up for the dull VN-style cutscenes in my opinion.

Plus FES has The Answer which really does wrap up the main story pretty well and I guess is 'canon' for stuff like P4 Arena. So if he's wanting to go forward FES is probably his best bet.

Also, on the earlier discussion of the FeMC for P3P, I did not enjoy playing her side of the story because of the party member's Social Links. Between Ken's and Akihiko's being really boring and uninteresting (except when they fight over you in Tarturus if you talk to them. That's not weird at all) to all the extra poo poo that happens to Shinji because of it I honestly just fell like I was kind just ruining poo poo by being around it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Technique posted:

The DDS games had way better plots than P4 (and gameplay, characters, music, etc) and the ending of DDS2 wasn't even as lovely as the ending of P4. And DDS2 had a lovely rear end ending.

The only good character in DDS was Cielo's VA. And the Pacing in their plots were so loving terrible the plots didn't even exist for 90% of the game. I just got to 2 and seriously just in the beginning the pacing is so loving wacky and you're missing half the loving plot because they don't cutaway to things that would be useful to see. It goes 'No. you guys go do this for this and then we'll give you your friend with the terrible accent' to 'That one line you said really got to me, the allegedly alcoholic cynical man who's emotionally stunted, so now I'm a demon too and I brought Cielo and also all my little freedom fighters have painted their sleeves orange so their your crew now.' in the course of one area that's just the transition between the town and the dungeon with no real insight onto what changed Roland's mind.

Hell one scene of Fred talking to him to try and convince him to change/let Cielo out but it you don't get it but no it's just THINGS HAPPENING which is kind of how the whole Plot for the DDS games go. Things just happen. I mean the things themselves are interesting, mostly, but it's still just really disjointed and makes the whole story really forgettable because of it. I just find it extra annoying because it really feels like they were trying to tell a more character driven/focused story but they fail to deliver by making some small mistakes that could have easily be remedied.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^ Catherine only had one ending if you cared about the rest of the cast :colbert:

Seriously though, the True Katherine ending is the one with the best/most development and catharsis for the rest of the crew and since the cast is what really made that game fantastic it's the only one worth getting in my book.

TurnipFritter posted:

Was that really a question anyone was asking though?

When the game opened with someone cause you to have a fever dream about chasing some strange being through a world of fog and getting your persona there, yeah it's a question I was asking.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Wonder if it will be as bad as the Persona one.

Trinity Soul? I doubt it'll be that terrible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRGNwMMFro

Someone is making a game specifically for me. :allears:

Oh god I have to get a Wii U now.

Wait...I'll wait for at least DDS or Persona protag to show up. No Seraph No Buy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

dude789 posted:

I wonder how much they'll combine the elements from both games. Just imagine permadeath combined with SMT's instant death spells :unsmigghh:

I'm expecting 2 sections in the game. One for your FE strategy and then good old fashioned dungeon delving where the FE squad are cannon fodder take the place of the demons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^ gently caress yes, Baofu is the best.

Dogbutt posted:

Am I the only who is really hoping there are no Persona characters in this game? Persona has gotten enough attention, and I think the original SMT franchise needs a little more love. This is how it'll get it!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah seriously, I don't want to see Persona characters in this game. After Arena and Golden, I'm kind of good with Persona for another 4 years.

I want Persona characters in, but only if guys from 2 get in before SEES and Investigation Squad members.

I remember Baofu and Michelle, Atlus. Do you?

Plus putting in the Protag of Persona 3 or 4 + 1 female friend each causes issues because then they have to decide which girl to add and some crazy fan somewhere is gonna be pissed that they picked who they did (Obviously Chie.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dogbutt posted:

Oh yeah that would be fine. I feel like this game will be a good opportunity to introduce more people to the SMTs that aren't P3 or P4.

I just want The Protag from Strange Journey to show up with both Judge Zelenin and Awaken Jimenez.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^DDS's rep better loving be Cielo. He's gotta redeem himself, man!

Technically they've got a character from Both Persona 1 and 2 already. The female protag from SMT ...if shows up as a fellow student in P1 and gives you one of her rapiers and tells you how to deal with Demons. In P2 she's a college student working as an assistant in the Kuzunoha Detective Agency along side Daisuke Todoroki, who's from Soul Hackers originally. :spergin: :eng101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Probably from the one where she actually has dialogue. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that she is a character in the Persona series and she is also a character appearing in this game.

Both of them then?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Policenaut posted:

It still utterly baffles me that Atlus USA apparently had the will to release yet another Sting SRPG and a Growlanser game but not the final piece of the Persona puzzle.

It's more annoying since they went ahead and brought over the Persona 1 PSP remake. C'mon Atlus, just give me the game that's actually fun.

I just want more Baofu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dehry posted:

It's more a solution for the PSP, but you can always convert the Persona 2:EP iso to the PSP format with :filez:.

Unless you've got a 3000 PSP like some chumps. It's me. I'm the chump

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Ken very well might be the worst Persona character.

Hey hey hey. There's still half the cast of Persona 1. I mean I dislike Ken, but I mean he at least had a personality.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

Never played P1, but not having a personality is still better than Ken.

Don't play P1. All the interesting characters from P1 made it into Either P2.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Aigis is the second worst character in the game and Koromaru does nothing interesting other than being a dog who can use a Persona and does one important thing in the whole game. P3's cast by and far is mediocre and just follows anime tropes. P4 was kind of different at firs then P4A came out and they got their own robot, so it's more of the same again.

Woah woah woah, Labrys is loving awesome and I won't have anything bad said about her. She's had a hard enough life as is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dorroile posted:

Yeah, Kanji was more forgettable than unlikable, i'll concede that.

First recommending P1 and now hating on Kanji.

My god what a terrifying existence you must occupy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Veks posted:

Yeah, she is completely disconnected from the story until she butts in in the most Mary Sue-ish way possible. She just reeks of Deviantart OC plz do not steal xoxo.

And the poems. The motherfucking poems.

And then you get to her dungeon.

Seriously, gently caress everything about and surrounding Marie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Marie is absolutely worth putting up with to get the epilogue. Like, it's not even up for debate.
Cool dungeon and boss music at least.

Terrible gimmick dungeon and okay ending for having to put up with a loving terrible character. 0/10 would have actually preferred Metis.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RME posted:

Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if anyone actually likes SMT games.

Who honestly could like them? They're stupid and grindy and just boring most of the time.

I only post here for the occasional bout of Teddy-related puns.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Some sort of Paint themed demon?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Demon talk is like the Pokeball moving in Pokemon to me, it's just not SMT without it :colbert:

Plus it's fun.

I don't know man. Cutting out stupid randomly right/wrong conversations would just be a net positive the franchise. You'd lose a convoluted and arbitrary dialogue system, you'd lose all the stupid lines from the demons like 'What is best in life: A) BLOOD AND GORE MURDERMURDERMURDER! B) Life is like...it's own thing man. C) THE WILL OF YHVH FREE THINKING SUCKS AMIRITE!'

Basically an SMT game without the demon conversations would be the best SMT. Basically they just need to make Digital Devil Sage and add in demon party members and fusion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'd really hate that. I'm fine for making it less random but half the fun of SMT is that talking is an option. I like being able to talk to the demons and negotiate with them or get items or whatever. I'd prefer if the system was improved but I'd hate it even more if it was removed.

I'm not saying take away talking to demons, just loving remove the current system. Make something that isn't completely loving stupid like it is now. Hell even P1 and P2 have better conversation systems, though P2's was needlessly complex but at least they had the sense to be consistent.

Seriously, loving up one choice after getting 1 or 2 right and then losing a turn/the demon fleeing was one of the most annoying things in SJ. Hell, I'd be fine with down right antagonistic level design if the main mechanic for getting new abilities/party members wasn't just arbitrarily broken. IIRC there were even some choices I got that had no right choice.

Basically, Demon Negotiations: Super Neat Idea! It's current incarnation is just bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 21, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

This might be the dumbest thing in the entire thread, and people (myself included) have said some really loving stupid things in here.

Minus the ME2 bit he's not wrong about the SMT series though?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

He just suggested scrapping everything that comprises the SMT series except "takes place post-apocalypse," "is an RPG," and "has demon fusion." If you share his thoughts, you may as well stop playing the games, because you obviously don't like Shin Megami Tensei.

I don't know man. I don't think wanting an SMT game with a better Demon Conversation mechanic, less stupid antagonists, and without recycling half their art assets makes me a terrible person who hates SMT then so be it. I mean, I love the games and the tone but I can fully admit they need to rework some poo poo and maybe try some new things here and there.

Just because I don't want to play the exact same game doesn't make me some type of monster. Just calm down a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

He didn't say fix those mechanics, he said throw them out (in addition to throwing out turn-based combat.) I'm all in favor of fixing the mechanics and coming up with new art, but that's not what he was suggesting.

I was just saying he's right in thinking that those things are pretty loving terrible at the moment.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

While I wouldn't use the word terrible there, I do think they should be worked on and new art should be created, so we agree. I don't think we should just throw it all out like he suggested, because that's just dumb.

Actually I'm totes okay with ditching the current Forces of Law and Chaos as they exist now. Law=Literally Super fascists and Chaos being brain dead STRONG=GOOD fuckers only really needs to be thrown out. Make your Chaos characters as interesting as Lucifer bare minimum, give them interests outside of "Crush dudes, get exp.". Maybe throw in some Law dudes who aren't completely loving bonkers to give them a bit of sympathy. Currently the only reason to go Law End in any SMT game is just so you can fight the more interesting bosses.

I just want some villains with some personality in my mainline SMT. Nocturne almost got it right. DDS 2 got it even closer to right. Hopefully 4 will come out and wow me with it's brilliant cast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Nocturne would have been infinitely improved if we had the ability to right hook every single whiny insufferable teenager waxing philosophic about their ideal world.

Never stop punching Chiaki.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dehry posted:

Actually, the P4G epilogue is set in Summer and they mention how stuff went crazy "Back in May" and Marie appears in the end.

Ugh that's just...disappointing in every way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mailer posted:

It's a magical gauntlet... that can have programs installed. Someone at Atlus really liked SJ.

Someone who made SJ really liked SMT 1 and 2 as well!

Might wanna go take a gander at what the protagonists of SMT1 and 2 are wearing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arbite posted:

Have they released enough SMT4 art that we can play spot the Lucifer or not yet?

Smart Money's on the Black Demonica. I mean Luci was female in SJ.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Eh, I don't mind lack of voices. I read faster than most VAs talk, so not having to wait for some bored guy to finish reading his line before moving on is a plus for me. That and tons of style in the art makes up for a lot. ...or I'm just a total sucker for the setting.

But most gamers disagree with me, which is why I'm sitting over here talking about Atlus games instead of Halo :v:

That's a pretty lovely attitude to have about video games, man. You can have tons of style in setting and art and also be designed like a video game made after the PSX.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Agreed. Not caring about voice acting is a super lovely attitude to have about video games! Also, somehow, the only difference between the PSX era and the PS2 era was the addition of voice acting.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for getting it!

But, maybe it would be cool if they put a decent amount of money into spinoffs like Raidou. I mean, they proved they can do that and make it work with DDS, which was a much better experience as a game than Nocturne (Though I prefer the style and setting of Nocturne). I mean, playing through the first Raidou game it just feels super loving bare-bones like very little effort put into parts of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Man I hope SMT 4 doesn't have any of that super stupid dungeon design. SJ really made me just go from 'accepting' to 'outright hating everything about it' with that poo poo. It's like they think they can't make a game with difficulty unless the dungeons are outright spitefully antagonistic towards you for daring to play the game (Sector E and H and the final dungeons from Both DDS games spring to mind as examples of what not to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

I agree that it's pretty baffling that people want games on systems they own.

I too agree. I'd much rather have new games on consoles I own instead of lovely ports.