Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magikoopa189 posted:

(Persona 4 Arena Ending Spoilers)

With the possible return of Nyarlathotep, and the cliffhanger ending of Persona 4 Arena, Persona 5 might end up being the game that ties all the Persona's together. Holy crap. :allears:

The P4A ending is probably just setting up a P4A expansion/sequel, not P5, I think. We're all going to Port Island! is a pretty transparent lead-in to adding some more P3 fighters. Hoping for drunken boxing Junpei, old Koro, and gross puberty Ken at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

I kind of hope they add Ken at some point in the future.

Because let's all be honest here, who hasn't at some point wanted the visceral satisfaction of beating the tar out of that little turd without having to play through The Answer?

Awkward puberty Ken, now with new voice cracking action. Ship it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd play Japan's interpretation of an 80's action movie.

Import it today.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

asvodel posted:

Speaking of Devil Survivor overclocked do you guys have any advice for people just getting into the game? It's not really clicking for me I think

Here are some really basic and general things, if your issues are more specific than this feel free to ask.

• Like any SMT game, don't let your demons stagnate. You ought to be continuously rolling out new demons to your teams as they become available. That's not at all to say you have to grind like mad and make or buy 12 of every demon, but if you upgrade your roster a little at a time and spend your macca wisely you should be okay.
  • Especially for your first playthrough, it sometimes makes sense to grind free battles for macca or levels. Sometimes free battles also add new demons to the auction. You'll also get more magnetite bonuses this way- use them with an eye to adding abilities you want to fuse onto your next round of demons.
  • Even if you don't need free battles at a given time, check them for new skill cracks as they become available. Skill crack obsessively and you'll have a much easier time.
  • There are a few missions that really stress having demons with movement abilities (ie devil speed, flight, phantasm, switch) and if you run into a difficult one it usually makes more sense to go get one or several of those demons than to bang your head against doing the fight without.

I like DSO quite a bit. I played through the original years ago and then picked up the remake during the recent e-shop sale, and I had a nice leisurely time replaying it since I knew the playstyle they expected of you and could anticipate a lot of the dick moves. Especially if you like other SMT games I think it's worth sticking out the initial awkwardness of getting used to the format.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 17, 2014

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Adachi shouldn't feel too bad, if the stream last night was any indication Yukiko has absolutely no idea what dancing is either

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

good look at the velvet prison

I think the malicious girl is cooler :twisted:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh cool, I just noticed in the trailer when everyone is running from the boulder trap, that dude with a tanuki tail from the first trailer was in the party. I wonder how many party members are going to be in the final game, judging from P3 and P4 it's likely a few more will get in.

We're up to five party members at this point I think? I would imagine we end up at 8 or so. Given the way they usually operate I would expect the rest to get rolled out in famitsu in the many, many months to come

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hivac posted:

How long was P5 just a small teaser page? SQ5/EO5 is rapidly approaching its first anniversary of being just a vague video so I'm curious

For loving Ever, OP

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MotU posted:

need a US release date so i can get a timeframe in mind of how long i have to prevent entropy's forces from removing me from existence, get on it atlus

Assume it'll come out this time next year, then if it comes out any earlier you can be pleasantly surprised but it won't

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thuryl posted:

It does have other serious balance issues even beyond that. Direct-damage magic is badly overpriced and underpowered compared to physical skills, and gets worse as the game goes on. The core of the system has some good ideas, but skill costs and effectiveness really needed to be rebalanced from scratch. Reworking enemy resistances and weaknesses would have helped too: part of the issue with status effects is that almost nothing is immune to any of them, and almost all non-boss enemies are susceptible to at least one kind of instant death.

:agreed: Persona Q always struck me as a game that could probably be patched or even romhacked to have pretty solid gameplay using only a shitload of numbers and weakness tweaks. I still think they had all the right ingredients but inexplicable bad design decisions kept it from coming together

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

It's totally explicable. They just put off the (hard, boring, time-consuming) rebalancing step of the design process and when there was a time crunch it went out the window.

I assume the gameplay side was handled by the Etrian people? I'm only a dabbler in that series and I know those games have a lot of broken/useless poo poo at the margins, but I feel like by reputation nothing they did before or after is top to bottom busted like PQ is. Inexplicable is probably the wrong word though yeah, just a big time let down :mad:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Story wise I remember being irritated with the thing where a lot of the characters are at their most one note and stupid (Chie loves meat, haha, well that's pretty much it). But to be fair that's common to all the spinoff stuff. I didn't finish so I can't speak to where the Rei and Zen plot went, maybe it was ok?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Why doesn't SMT4A have a release date. I think it should have one

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Chexoid posted:

It's deffo both.

edit: John Hardin specifically squashed the rumour of PS3 being cancelled on the giant bomb E3 stream.

The food he brought looked delicious as well. I'm jealous

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Polygon posted:

It's like a co-ed version of Sailor Moon for the Love Live! age

:geno:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

John Lee posted:

None of it's garbage art or anything.

yeah looks great

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drat that looks as though it owns

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Now that's a good fuckin vid

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The delay is needed to make sure the most modern and up to date memes can be forcibly inserted into the dialogue

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Is it possible for the jazz to have too much acid in it?

No. :unsmigghh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Wait, is this a thing outside of S. Links reversing in P3?

They added a Valentine's Day event in P4 Golden that becomes a giant smoldering train wreck of calling you out as a piece of poo poo if you're dating multiple girls. Highly recommend looking it up, it's quite something.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Persona games, are actually good

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://s1.webmshare.com/QPAxa.webm

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ha ha, so funny to make ironic ageist posts. They aren't cringey or problematic at all

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Presumably people take issue with the game's implicit assumption that reform is possible while capitalism still exists

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thread leaps gleefully from gross virulent ageism to othering a sex worker, this troll has really brought out the best in everyone

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arist posted:

If it upsets you to the point where you feel the need to lie to emphasize how bad it is, then maybe just leave

What am I lying about? Do I really need to go back 1 page and cite some quotes of people saying all olds should be swept into the garbage, or 0 pages to cite some people who attack a sex worker before they attack the system that forced her into that position?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arist posted:

The first of those is disingenuous as gently caress and I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to in the second because the post I think you're talking about doesn't say that at all

I'll give you that the hatred of sex workers on this page is implicit, but I really don't think I'm reaching when people post "old people are garbage who belong in the garbage can", "old people are bad, hth", "even if some good old people die, gently caress it the lord will sort em", etc. etc.

I guess if the posts are being made ironically that makes it disingenuous to point out that the content is disgusting?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If it's anything like pq1 I'm guessing there's no storyline per se to spoil. It's more an experience about hanging out with your persona friends while playing a mediocre etrian odyssey game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would be ok with punishing smash players by inflicting the mementos theme on them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a tradeoff I'll happily take to have the localization process not take a year or more like usual.

HGH posted:

Betcha none of the incidental or battle dialogue will have subs.

This seems likely and will be loving obnoxious though. When they pulled that stunt on the SMT/Fire Emblem game it kinda ruined it for me

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The full *main* cast. All the other characters have been recast as ashly burch

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Captain Baal posted:

Future persona team if you make a persona game with a girl that uses judo, rides a motorcycle, and has a badass outfit could you do me the favor of actually making her not a cop

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Monkey's paw gonna curl on these adult persona wishes and it'll be about a cop in a party of cops

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The fact is, many girls and even some boys are enthusiastic to gently caress goro. I'm not any happier about it than you are

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yakuza team makes better games and they come out every year. It's harsh but true

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Extremely cheap to make rereleases that turn a profit off of modest sales are hard coded into the atlus DNA at this point. 5R will probably do well if they put it on switch but lol otherwise

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Revive backpacking persona. Do it, cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretty topical to have the protag sporting a quarantine self-haircut