Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

SpectacuLars posted:

Cosmo is streaming 24 hours of OoT right now. Well on his way on breaking the new WR of 2:42:31 by some japanese dude.

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright

Cosmo is an absolute beast. Hope he gets the record early and has 24 hours to mess around + improve on the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

furry drum circle posted:

So this has been a pretty good day in speedrun news:

Cosmo just hit 2:39:05 in MST, making it inarguably faster than ZFG's recent time. It starts about 22 minutes into this: http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright/b/295267661

Second, Siglemic just hit a 1:55:40 No Damage 120 star. Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrvV7p_HMg .

Finally (ok this isn't good news at all) kirkq and I are going to do a Balanced Elements run of Quest 64. So at no point can any element be more than 1 higher than another. We're probably going to both quit about 4 hours in but I figure some people will enjoy watching our pain. http://justin.tv/peaches__

And then ZFG got a 2:37:18 on the Japanese version, making it inarguably faster than Cosmo's new record.

Competition is really heating up for this record.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Cosmo just got another MST record: 2:34:19.86. Says he's probably gonna submit this one because he doesn't feel like he can do better.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Ditto. This is gonna be great. :)

Tangentially, does anyone know when Siglemic's runs start today?

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Right now!

Sig's gonna be going 12 hours of attempts at the 120 star WR for 7 days starting today. Watch for some cool SM64 play.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

SpectacuLars posted:

If I understood people correctly, he also did a 24 hour practice run yesterday. :psyduck:

Yeah Sig is basically insane.

I'm glad he beat his VC-U time on N64-J though, he definitely has this record at some point during the next week.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Ask your doctor about Autism

related:

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

Siglemic decided he's gonna practice/speedrun/play SM64 for 24 hours starting right now.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

He's explained that he loves having his chat free (in addition to the ad revenue). He's bitched out mods before for banning too much.

Broadcasters usually aren't allowed to post ad numbers.

And the sig is a girl thing is a combination of a screenshot of cosmo's(?) stream that's titled "Me and my girlfriend Siglemic", the Japanese Mario cosplayer he uses as his avatar, and him one day just simply saying "im girl" to the trolls in the chat.

It was Trihex's stream that had "Me and my girlfriend Siglemic" I believe.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

7k viewers. wow

I can't tell if the chat is trolling or if there are really sperg lords complaining about how things like this are ruining their precious e-sport leagues.

That would be trolling.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

They just basically tied in the most scripted looking Bowser in the Sky showdown.

How about that.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

CVagts posted:

One of the biggest stream problems I've seen with some of the speedrunners, notably ZFG, cosmo, and Sig, is that they went from no viewers to a lot of viewers in little time at all, so they didn't settle in with enough moderators to monitor the chat. So there's like 400 viewers in ZFG's chat with like six mods, so there are trolls and spammers that get through easily.

Siglemic used to have a ton of mods but he settled on having fewer because he was sick of getting messages from people asking to be unbanned. Also because he likes the trolling for the most part.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Liku posted:

And he likes the money all of those viewers bring.
He'll have the same viewers regardless of whether or not he has a lot of chat mods, so I don't see how that's entirely relevant.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Liku posted:

Because the trolls that can't chat won't stick around to watch if they can't flood the chatbox. And I think Sig even said it himself he keeps the trolls around for the additional revenue.
You could argue "if he had strict moderation, more average people would watch instead of being turned off by trolls in the chat" with just as much validity and basis.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Silento posted:

Wow, I can't believe he beat the WR with so many deaths. I wonder how long it will be until someone else manages to get 1:45, Sig will probably manage to get it in a day or two.

As far as I know no one else is really running 120 as actively as Sig is right now, at least yet.

e: and by anyone, I mean Nero and Honey.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 6, 2012

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Sig's chat is the best I have no clue what people always complain about.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8NcVmDKk6s

A Japanese speedrunning great has retired. I'd be more upset if so many things about that video didn't make me laugh so hard.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I'm still laughing about this.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/events/244249092362653/

quote:

*Kings of Poverty: A SpeedRunsLive x Team Sp00ky Production!*

Coming to NYC's premier arcade on September 2-3, Kings of Poverty is a one-of-a-kind gaming event combining fighting games and speedrunning in an effort to raise money for the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (http://www.rainn.org/)! Streamed by Team Sp00ky (http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky), this will be two solid days of gaming with no breaks!

Anyone post about this yet? seems pretty cool and I'll definitely be tuning in.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

flatluigi posted:

So what did you get banned for?

Probably for saying anything that ssssssssskinner took any sort of offense to or didn't like in any way.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

BlueArmyMan posted:

That bit where they say Sig and Cosmo are not employed...I thought Cosmo did graphic design work? Did that change?

AFAIK that was always a freelance thing.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Color Printer posted:

As someone who knows BoI inside and out, I honestly can't see the appeal of speedrunning it. Unless you're just going fast for fun it basically amounts to "Did I start next to the secret room with We Need To Go Deeper? No? Restart."

Also I watched him play last time and he wasn't really that good at all, even by my low standards. :geno:

That's pretty wrong though it's actually spawning near a secret room with Epic Fetus that's important for speedrunning. We Need To Go Deeper seems almost entirely useless for speedrunning, in fact.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Werster seems like a generally pretty terrible and unenjoyable person playing possibly the most boring and unimpressive thing to speedrun. At least Siglemic is a consummate professional at one of the most difficult games to speedrun and Cosmo is a Generally Likeable Dude.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

GTA speedrunning has really messed with me because I've been watching it so much I went back and tried playing the games and driving is a shitload harder than the really good people make it look. Really gave me more appreciation for already impressive runs.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

http://www.twitch.tv/kryssstal

Krystal is streaming LTTP. It's sort of a big deal because she's The Best and Never Streams.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

http://www.twitch.tv/retrorockstars/b/282040013

This got brought up + linked in Cosmo's chat. Has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. The good old days.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Cosmo has weird opinions sometimes. Apparently he also disagrees with the (Megadrive) Sonic community for using in game time, which is just incomprehensible to me.

Well to be fair his reasoning is pretty alright. Things like pause buffering and a few different glitches cause the gamer timer to be not be representative, making the formula for a timed Sonic run something like ingame time + pause frames + etc etc. Contextually, Cosmo comes from a background with a lot of racing so of course he's going to prefer RTA timing. IIRC, before Miles had a really good Monkey Ball run, he beat Cosmo's run in terms of the in-game timer, but in real time it was quite a bit slower because it had a bunch of deaths. It honestly makes the most sense for direct, active competition to just go from power on until the end of the game and it sucks that Sonic has wacky time bonuses that mess with that.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

It was mentioned earlier, but Joshimuz' ESA run for GTA: San Andreas was fantastic. Other than being a WR, it was also just has some great detail and explanation. It's honestly not very indicative of his normal streams which I don't particularly love.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I laughed out loud at my computer desk at someone in the chat saying "This is the slowest speedrun ever" while Cosmo sat there freaking out in tears over the donation.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

24 hours of Zelda making the initial list is only offensive to me because a ton of great stuff has been rejected because of reasons like "This doesn't offer anything new over the run of it at last AGDQ", "Not enough donation incentives", and "I'm not sure if it has an audience". You could make the case that every game on that last is distinctly out of those categories, but some of the "staples" of the marathon seem so done to death.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

CVagts posted:

I sincerely doubt all of those Zelda games will get in. They probably just want to send them all past the first cut and then decide which one(s) to keep.

I understand that, that's why I'm more upset about things that would be awesome and I think would be successful not even making the first cut.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Honestly, Trihex is still THE YI "personality" despite him being pretty behind at this point. Especially with him being ostensibly committed to grinding at this point, I can't imagine not giving him the run. Maybe the #yoshi community has a problem with it or something, but I can't even imagine that's the case.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

:stare:

That's an interesting way to run SM64.

And does the VC version of SM64 have a significant time advantage of the N64 version? Cosmo was talking about it last night, I think, but I got tired of watching him fight Gohma over and over.

It's a roughly 2.5 to 3 minute advantage.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

To be fair, 100% runs take at least 3-4 minutes longer.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

habanero walrus posted:

We were just talking about him one page ago.

I don't really like the iQue thing but what can you do? It's a legal version of the game. Cosmo could theoretically get a time that Pydoyks literally can't beat because of the platform difference with Cosmo still having the inferior run. I really hope this doesn't happen.

Pydoyks could always shell out the 99 dollars to get an iQue on ebay.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

It isn't unlicensed, Nintendo worked on it. It is an official product in China. I wonder if SM64 for it is faster than the VC version.

The iQue version of SM64 is the Shindou version, which is very bad.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

But it shouldn't be if it's on iQue, right? It lags on N64 but iQue (at least for OoT) has less gameplay lag but takes longer to load. [Shindou (vibration) is the rumble pak version of the game, rereleased in Japan.]

It is an official release, so it is legitimate, but I personally think that it's a bit odd since you'll only have 1-2 people playing a $100 one game console. It's not accessible and I hope people don't make it the standard.

Cosmo made a blog post and a comparison video on this topic.

Text isn't a particularly huge deal in SM64, and the load times are the real killer in the version differences between VC and N64. Also, BLJ is patched which isn't a massive deal but is a relevant change (see: HMC 100 coins).

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

Sure, but N64 lags. A lot. The Shindou version lags a lot more than normal N64 in certain stages. Wouldn't iQue be faster for 70?

edit: to be clear I never considered text and it's probably a very small difference, if it is different at all.

Once again, the loading times are a way bigger deal because of the amount of lag reduction you can do. You lose about a second per star on loading times alone, and loading times on iQue seem like standard N64 loading times.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

I never mentioned VC. You said Shindou version is "very bad", but what would make it worse than N64 if there's no lag? That's the only issue with the Shindou version to my knowledge.

BLJ is removed, load times are longer (even on VC, which is why N64-J 1.0 is considered the competitive version) and a couple other minor (aesthetic mostly) changes

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

There's a huge thread about them over on the SDA forums:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/speedrun_leaderboards_discussion_topic_srl.html

It's not as active as it was a week ago, though.
I was skimming the page and thought that UA was implying there was a huge thread about condoms on the SDA forums.

http://kotaku.com/this-guy-beat-ocarina-of-time-in-less-than-twenty-minut-1189078311

Surprised this hasn't been linked yet. It's pretty... interesting? It's cool to see speedrunning get more mainstream exposure but there are some objectionable things about the article. The comments are downright hilarious though.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

What a baby. How surprised can anyone be that in an ultra-competitive setting that some will do what they can to try to maximize their potential to succeed.
Because there's a difference between being the best, and having the best time. Before Sig was a beast and before a lot of people cared about SM64 he had a VC WR and spent a huge amount of time learning N64 right after because he wanted to actually be able to compete. I understand the "lower time = the goal of speedrunning" mentality, but I don't think anyone should be suprised that people who are more genuinely competitive reject all the "OMG WR!!!" hype. Some people prefer genuine self improvement and knowing they're better than someone over getting a low number so they can get high viewers. It's just a different context that people come from and a different mentality.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

The whole argument is drat close to Twin Galaxies territory anyways where everyone makes up these arbitrary rules to suit their own needs and woe be to those who break them. If Sig had an ounce of conviction about everything he'd have kept the tweets up and they could have maybe had some reasonable form of discourse on the subject instead of him pouncing into douche mode then deleting them because he can't take the heat he puts out and instead just leaves these vague passive-aggressive tweets that just reek of desperation and angst.

It's loving video games.
Dude, YOU'RE the one who seems super distraught and literally irl upset about what a speedrunner deleted from twitter. You can't pass off the whole "it's just videogames!!!" thing when you've made multiple frothing posts about it. Twin Galaxies isn't even relevant in the discussion -- there's no arbitrary rules, there's no grey area, it's just pretty clear cut. I think Sig can back up his poo poo talk well enough when he took the VC 70 star record back from Alex in 2 attempts and the 120 star in a day or so.

nerve posted:

Why does it bother Siglemic so much that somebody is running the game on a system He Doesn't Approve Of?

Isn't it in the realm of possibility that having a Wii (and therefore the VC) a lot more common than an N64 and a JP cart? If people don't like Cosmo using the iQue because it's uncommon and not accessible to a lot of people, then why is it a big deal when someone runs SM64 on probably the most accessible format?

He doesn't care about people playing it on VC, it's just the stupid "WR!!!!" hype. "joke community. skill and optimization takes a backseat to ~*~world records~*~* and twitch popularity." sums it up perfectly.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2013

• Locked thread