Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Okay, reinstalled and I crash at a new game. I can make it to the main menu, but when I hit "new game" it hangs for a moment, then crashes to desktop. On Vista, using MGE and MGEXE and the 4GB exe if that changes anything.

Load order:

_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm
_005_ Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
_006_ TR_Data.esm
_007_ TR_Map1.esm
_008_ TR_Map2.esm
_009_ GIANTS.esm
_010_ MCA.esm
_011_ Rise of House Telvanni.esm
_012_ Poorly Placed Object Fix.esm
_013_ Texture Fix 2.0.esm
_014_ The Wilderness Mod 2.0 T & B.esm
_015_ _Death's Doorstep V3x.esp
_016_ bcsounds.esp
_017_ Regeneration.esp
_018_ master_index.esp
_019_ Passive_Healthy_Wildlife.esp
_020_ adamantiumarmor.esp
_021_ Siege at Firemoth.esp
_022_ Westly's Master Headpack X.esp
_023_ Scripted_Spells.esp
_024_ Vampire_Embrace.esp
_025_ Better Bodies.esp
_026_ Book Jackets - Bloodmoon.esp
_027_ ASH 2.0.esp
_028_ Better Clothes_v1.1.esp
_029_ Vvardenfell Druglord.esp
_030_ ARJAN_A_Lords_Men_v2.0.esp
_031_ NewBlood_MwTbBm1.1.esp
_032_ CM_Partners_3.0.esp
_033_ CM_Partners_3.0_Child_Upgrade.esp
_034_ GIANTS_Ultimate_Official_Fixes.esp
_035_ CM_Partners_3.0_Guards_Upgrade.esp
_036_ Neo's Unique Creatures.esp
_037_ correctUV Ore Replacer 1.0.esp
_038_ Bloated Caves.esp
_039_ Graphic Herbalism.esp
_040_ Skooma Anonymous.esp
_041_ Graphic Herbalism Extra.esp
_042_ almalexia armor.esp
_043_ Ravenloft_v0502d.esp
_044_ BetterClothesForTB.esp
_045_ WA_Signy_Signposts(!).ESP
_046_ New Veloth's Judgement 2.esp
_047_ Better Skulls.ESP
_048_ Particle Arrow Replacer.esp
_049_ ExcellentMagicSounds.esp
_050_ New Argonian Bodies - Mature.esp
_051_ New Khajiit Bodies - Mature.esp
_052_ UAR_ChodalaBoots.esp
_053_ Psy_IronMeshImprove_Uniques_BME.esp
_054_ Unique Tombs.esp
_055_ Vurt's Solstheim Trees & Bushes Replacer.esp
_056_ Windows Glow - Tribunal Eng.esp
_057_ Uvirith's Legacy_Final_2.0.esp
_058_ Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II.esp
_059_ AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
_060_ LeftGloves_Addon_v2.esp
_061_ UniqueFinery.esp
_062_ guarskin_drum_replacer.esp
_063_ UL v2.0 RoHT v1.52 Compatibility.esp
_064_ Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
_065_ TLM - Ambient Light + Fog Update.esp
_066_ Private_Mobile_Base4.esp
_067_ Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
_068_ dracandrosvoice.esp
_069_ TLM - Light Sources (Clearer Lighting).esp
_070_ SirLuthor-Tools.esp
_071_ TLM - Light Sources (Lanterns).esp
_072_ Better_Sounds.esp
_073_ TLM - External Lights Ownership.esp
_074_ ring_teleport v3_Tealpanda.esp
_075_ Gladiator.esp
_076_ PSsorticon.esp
_077_ Unique Banners and Signs.esp
_078_ Clean Abigail's Petshop_v5.5.esp
_079_ Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp
_080_ Complete Morrowind - Tribunal & Bloodmoon.esp
_081_ Statue Replacer - Normal.esp
_082_ Madd Leveler - Base.esp
_083_ Madd Leveler - Madd Caps.esp
_084_ Madd Leveler - Madd Health.esp
_085_ Madd Leveler - Madd Skills.esp
_086_ Madd Leveler - Quest Cap Remover.esp
_087_ Madd Leveler - Vampire Cap Remover.esp
_088_ Erengard Mines.esp
_089_ Windows Glow.esp
_090_ bones.esp
_091_ Vampire Realism II.esp
_092_ Vampire Realism II - TB Add-On.esp
_093_ Vampire Realism II - BM Add-On.esp
_094_ Vampire Realism II - VE Patch.esp
_095_ Barabus' fireplaces 2.esp
_096_ Shieldfx.esp
_097_ NG_New_Carnithus'_Armamentarium.esp
_098_ Windows Glow - Bloodmoon Eng.esp
_099_ SNR_ThievesStep_Standart.esp
_100_ Encumbrancemult50.esp
_101_ More Better Clothes.ESP
_102_ Windows Glow - Raven Rock Eng.esp
_103_ Vurt's Grazelands Trees.esp
_104_ Golden Gold.esp
_105_ Animated Morrowind.esp
_106_ New Voices.esp
_107_ mel_teleportPlugin_1_3.esp
_108_ Sleepers, Awake!.esp
_109_ MCA - Vampire Realism Patch.esp
_110_ MCA - Guards Patch.ESP
_111_ MCA - TR Addon.ESP
_112_ abotWindowsGlow.esp
_113_ ACD_PracticeDummy.esp
_114_ OR_Fang.esp
_115_ sg1_alchemy_book.esp
_116_ Syc_AtHomeAlchemy.esp
_117_ Book Jackets - Morrowind.esp
_118_ Book Jackets - Tribunal.esp
_119_ Z4K_Giants_AddToLev_Patch.esp
_120_ Mashed Lists.esp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Just wanted to check in. I came back to this today and figured out that I forgot to add the other three Private Mobile Base .esp's. That was the only problem. Thanks for the help, though.

Edit: Also, I want to throw out a recommendation for the Madd Leveler mod. Simple, no frills level mod that removes caps and removes the x5 bonus for attributes at levelup. Instead, every three skill gains gives you a gain in the attribute that covers that skill. Really simple. Values above 100 are added as "curses," so you don't dispel them and they don't go away. Only problem is that if an attribute over 100 gets damaged, a Restore Attribute spell won't restore it, so you have to run the "reset" spell that comes with the mod.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 2, 2011

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I'm very pleased with my Morrowind mod list overall, except for two problems:

1) In Tel Uvirith, the storage room for Uvirith's Legacy has display cases that continuously repeat their closing animation. I've found this post that mentions it, hopefully I can track down those corrected scripts. If not, does anyone know how to fix it?

2) The game is overall very stable, except it likes to crash on area transitions, especially from inside to outside and vice versa. Is there anything to be done about that? I have 8 GB of ram and am using the 4gb+ patch on the exe, so I can't imagine that's the problem.

Mod list here.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Make sure you register your BSAs in Morrowind.ini, under [Archive] I think. Are you using Tamriel Rebuilt?

I am. I just realized that myself in the past hour by googling. We'll see if it helps.

edit:

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Is there a good way to figure out which mods are causing the big fake warning meshes other than trial and error? Repairing the save with Wrye Mash doesn't fix anything.

Bring up the console and click on the missing mesh, or check your Warnings.txt to get the name. Then search for it; it's likely someone else is having the same problem. I can tell you that if you're missing a table, it's a known probelm with MGSO 3.0, and you need to go into meshes/f and delete furn_de_table_03.nif to fix it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Well, I had to fix the display case problem myself. For anyone else who is having problems with the display cases in Uvirith's Legacy, you can find my fix here.

edit: And I'm still getting crashes. It likes crashing as I'm entering a town from an interior cell. I think it's just the shock of loading a bunch of assets at once. Any tips?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

A few questions:

How frequently does it happen?

About every 30 mins to 2 hours. Frequently enough to bother me, but not unplayable.

Are you using MGE's LOD? If so, does turning it off make a difference?

I am. Before I was using a distance of 12, now I'm on 9. I think it's better? It's infrequent enough that it's hard to tell. I'd turn it off, but Morrowind is hard enough to navigate that I'd rather put up with some crashes than turn it off altogether.

Do you see the outside at all before crashing, or does it crash as soon as you activate the door?

I don't. The cell finishes loading, according to the loading bar, the screen goes black for a moment, and then instead of the exterior fading into view the game crashes to desktop.

Do you get any error messages, or just the dialogue that it's stopped responding?
Does it go away when you turn off any mods?

Just the standard message, crashing to desktop. In terms of mods, I'm running with the full MGSO installation plus a handful of mods for the Telvanni. Right now, I'm wondering if it's Morrowind Comes Alive, as that adds a ton of people to cities. However, I've had a crash outside Hla Oad, which has very few added people, usually.

In terms of where I've had crashes, it's been coming out of houses in Ald'Ruhn, Balmora, and especially Vivec. The occasional crash in other places, notably Hla Oad. I virtually never get crashes just walking around the world or transitioning to interior cells. At this point I'm guessing it's either Distant Land, lots of water (Vivec and Hla Oad), or lots of people from MCA.

My computer is a six core 3.3 GHz with 8 GB of RAM, HD6950 video card, and Windows 7, fwiw.

Edit: and I occasionally get crashes alt-tabbing out of Morrowind as I alt-tab back in, but that's an easy solution :v:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

You could always try Morrowblivion. That would at least get you Oblivion style combat.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah it's part of the journey as you go from a level 1 nobody to level 50 disturbingly powerful demigod. Honestly, breaking the game is one of the fun parts of the game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

It's the TLM mod in your list that's doing it. The Lighting Mod. I disabled it as well, for the same reasons.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm trying to find this in Wrye Mashe to disable it, but I can't seem to find it. The closest thing I see is True_Lights_And_Darkness.

Might as well try to disable that. The one from the MGSO is "TLM - Complete.esp"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Been having a pretty great time with MGSO so far, except for the fairly common crashing when loading a save. It's really starting to grate. Most recently, trying to load a save resulted in "Expression error: cannot find race id "e you going?" in MGSE setup" or something like that.

Any ideas?

Edit: And now something about not being able to render a mesh when I enter the House REdoran Hall in Ald'Ruhn, and a prompt for whether I want to continue running the executable or not. And the table in the main room is enveloped by some kind of giant yellow pyramid and nothing on it (within the pyramid) can be interacted with.

Suddenly I'm less confident in all this jazz :(

The table is an easy fix, at least. Go into Data Files/Meshes/f and delete furn_de_table_03.nif (It's harmless anyway, the pyramid is the replacer warning texture if something's missing)

As for the crashes, I'm not entirely sure. It sounds like a mod conflict. Is there anything useful in warnings.txt in the main morrowind folder?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Well, those are all harmless errors from Better Bodies. I don't know what's going on.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

For starters get rid of the vampiric hunger UI mod, since you don't have vampiric hunger the mod. Then run Mlox and see if you have any load order issues. Frankly, I'm surprised the game loads if bloodmoon.esm really loads first.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Another screwy prompt, this time when entering the Hlaalu Vaults with MGSO

"StreamWarning: Model

'Meshes\a\A_Glass_Boots_GND.nif' tex not found
'armor\tx_w_crystal_blade_glow.dds'!"

I assume this will call for more deletions, but I don't want to go off all half cocked.

On the upside, the crash on loading of a save issues have cleared up from earlier.

I have something like that error, too. Don't know what causes it. Obviously safe to run with, just a bit annoying.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Can anyone recommend me a housing mod that doesn't have free daedric armour sets or dirt-cheap enchanters hanging around, and doesn't give you a place half the size of Vivec for nothing? Although failing that I can just do what I used to as a kid, which is to break into a house whose occupant isn't at home and live there forever.

I'm partial to Private Mobile Base. Although it is a huge house, it is modular, and all the pieces together cost like 10 million. Comes with an alchemy room, storage, bedrooms, a display room, swimming pool, combat arena with summonable monsters, a teleport system, and a room that connects to all the propyl on chambers. Very cool, might be bigger than what you're looking for, not unbalanced though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

People (myself included) have had issues with GCD not working correctly or giving errors on startup. I'm trying out MADD myself for a while and haven't had any issues yet. MADD is also less intrusive (doesn't change birthsigns, etc).

MADD leveler owns, just remember one thing: if you just got a new permanent ability, use ml restart, not ml reset. That tells the leveler to take your current skills/attributes as baseline. Also don't forget to remove any attribute/skill boosting items before resetting or restarting.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

TheChad posted:

I have the new MGO v3 working perfectly right now. Should I just stop there or add more mods. :D Are there any other massive mods that have been finished along the lines of Tamriel rebuilt?

edit: Will Sacred East, the part of Tamriel Rebuilt that's been released, work with the MGO v 3?

Works just fine. You may want to add the graphical herbalism pack for TR though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Can someone who uses the Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul post their Morrowind.ini? Long story short, mine got overwritten by the default and I want to make sure everything is okay.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Here you go:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77543666/Morrowind.ini

There's a couple additional mods in there, but everything else should be the same.

Awesome, thanks.

Last question: is there a hotkey mod that adds "take all" functionality like the later Fallout games and Skyrim? I really miss that. I found this but it causes me to crash whenever I hit the button.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

So what's the current status of the big Telvanni mods? I remember last time I was playing MW there were some rumblings about updates and/or new versions but in the absence of the old kind of centralized sites it's hard to be sure if what I'm coming across is up to date or what.

I think the current hotness is

Uvirith's Legacy 3.5 by our own Stuporstar
Building Up Uvirith's Legacy (a modification of Building Up Uvirith's Grave meant to be compatible with UL)
Rise of House Telvanni 1.52 plus UL compatibility patch.

Do let me know if there's anything else because I love my Telvanni mods.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There was one mod that made some fairly major additions to the Redoran quests, I think it might have been part of Less Generic NPCs? Nothing to the length of the Telvanni ones though.

LGNPC Pax Redoran

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

You guys know you can run MGSO and then run the new code patch, right? You don't have to choose one or the other. I use MGSO, replaced MGEXE with the newest version, and uninstalled MCP 2.0 and then installed the newest MCP. Everything works great, AND I get my pretty graphics.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a hot tip ive learned about morrowind combat is the damage range on a weapon is how much you do based on when you swing

if you just left click you'll do the left most number (usually low, lowest on weapons like axes and bows) but if you hold left click until you complete the wind up animation you do the right most number

so weapons like axe chop 1-60 you want to be holding that one until you complete the animation

with dagger 10-12 just mash like crazy

it took me 15 years to learn this

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what the gently caress

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Caius is another great example of Morrowind's ambiguous story. Is he being recalled to the Imperial City because he's a top agent and needed to sort out the trouble there? Or is it because he's about to go native as a bum in the rear end end of The Empire? Does he send you off to explore and learn the ways of the land in order to nudge you into the prophecy or because you're getting in the way of him hitting dat skooma pipe?

Bretons are the most meh race, I can't really remember any of their defining features. They're kinda french and apt at magic?

I hear they're pretty good at being stealth archers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

It's bad that, despite not having played Morrowind in a few years and not having played without Better Heads or its equivalent in over a decade, I knew immediately who each of these people were.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Is it true that MADD Leveler boosts your attributes with invisible magic effect boosts? Is this gonna cause problems when I get hit with damage attribute, even with the MCP?

Or is this an old version I'm reading about?

Yes and no, respectively. It used to be an issue because it would add attributes/skills as infinite duration fortify attribute/skill powers a la starting race bonuses and Morrowind had a bug where if an attribute that is being fortified also gets drained/damaged, restoring that attribute wouldn't bring it back to its original level.

However, Morrowind Code Patch fixed this bug in one of its recent iterations. And MADD Leveler has its own reset spell that fixes it too.

I like MADD leveler. It's my favorite of the leveling mods--it feels very much like vanilla+ leveling.

Edit: from the patch notes:

quote:

Restore/drain attributes fix. Restore attributes spells did not recognize Fortify effects when restoring. Restore attributes spells now restore up to your fully fortified amount.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 26, 2018

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Grevlek posted:

I swear when I last played morrowind a couple years back, there was a single exe installer of about 3 gigs that was a comprehensive graphical update mod, and after installing it had a handy interface for hundreds of tweeks. It worked off a fresh steam install and I can't find it anywhere!

You're thinking of MGSO, which is controversial in this thread. It's handy, but significantly outdated at this point.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

i thought i installed the one where everyone has underwear, and indeed everyone does have underwear, but the male character models all have a big ol' dick jutting out of the loincloth. it's loving hilarious

issue is to make something like this happen and not instantly banned of all popular modsites you pretty much have to obtain the express permission of every modder whose work you're including which in a lot of instances isn't really feasible. then again if it's not a mega ultra pack it's probably doable

It's bullshit that this has to be the case. Look at Minecraft mod packs--the mod authors were really against them for a long while because they were monetizing the downloads with adfly. But then Tekkit / Technic launcher came along, made downloading packs of hundreds of mods easy, consistent, and brainless. They didn't ask for permissions. There was a huge outcry, but they persisted until the culture in the community changed. Now the standard way of using mods is in modpacks.

We need someone like that in the TES modding community who can say "gently caress it," I'm making a pack, you can't stop me, and I'll host it myself. The whole individual manual downloading from nexus and manual installation needs to stop.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Addamere posted:

No sure the combat is *there* but it doesn't matter. It could all be quick-time "Press X to Win" interactions and have the same value. Perhaps at the time and in your nostalgia-soaked mind the combat in Morrowind was worthwhile but compared to any modern game it's a non-entity. You'd be better served with MMO-style tab targeting and global cooldowns than with standing there and beating on a cliff racer while you pray to the RNG to let you hit the drat thing at least loving once before the rest of his buddies get to you. Unless you choose to be a stealth archer, in which congratulations you actually just avoid combat so shut up, your entire combat experience is either chase the guy while spamming your attack or spell button and/or back-pedal while spamming your attack or spell. It's simple. It's so simple as to be a non-entity that could be removed. For about 90% of Morrowind combat at the very least you could just have it randomly determine how much health and stamina you lose before you win and it would save a lot of time and have about as engaging a mechanic. Perhaps even more so since you could then actually stay focused on finding Ancestral Tomb #17 instead of fighting Cliff Racer #96

Someone could use the mwlua to "autoresolve" every combat by calling an autoresolve script when making an attack against the enemy. A la Witcher 3 "Hearts of Card that has all combat replaced with Gwent.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 16, 2018

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Can any of the Morrowind lua modding geniuses make a mod that sets the buy/sell price to the max/min the merchant would accept given their disposition and your barter skill/personality/luck etc? That would be pro.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

gently caress I’m loving this MWSE renaissance. By the time they’re done we’ll have Skywind coded in lua.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

kazr posted:

How long did it take you to find the Cavern of the Incarnate the first time?

Probably several hours. I was just expecting something more obvious than the pile of rocks I was looking for.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The first round of morrowind modding madness mods are up on the nexus. 6 mods, teams of 4, 2 weeks. Some pretty neat stuff

Ministry of Clarity

quote:

Features:
- A spawling questline full of action and intrigue
- A fully radiant questing system
- 3 re-made dungeons with traps and challenging new enemies
- 11000+ words of dialogue
- new armour, weapon and clothing
- A dynamic base of operations that evolves with the player’s actions

quote:

- A fully radiant questing system

Oh god

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Node posted:

I thought joining the Thieves' Guild locked you out of the Fighter's Guild forever (after a couple quests), and vice versa. Is that not true?

Yeah the short answer is if you do all the Thieve’s guild quests first, you’re good and can advance through the Fighter’s Guild with Percy. If you do the Fighter’s Guild quests first AND don’t side with Percy, you will lock yourself out of the Thieve’s Guild.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

so expect a fully featured fallout 4 style quickloot in a few days.

Holy poo poo

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, MBT: Could you possibly set the quickloot mod to always push Gold, Ingredients, and Soulgems to the top of the list so I don't have to open the container menu just to loot those?

As for the scripted containers toggle, I'll take a look when I get home but it might be unintuitive wording on the option.

I mean if you’re going in that direction, then you could make a list to configure quick loot to always take certain categories of items any time you open a container: eg one user wants to always take gold, one user always takes gold and soulgems, and a third user always takes books.

Hell, you could make an auto loot within x radius mod with that configuration. Press button, and every unlocked container in radius x has any item in the following y categories taken.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm the Nerevarine. All the beds are mine.

I mean, do you ever see anybody else sleeping in them?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I think part of the problem is that getting “end game gear” in Morrowind is easy by design, and so there winds up being whole tiers of weaponry that go unused. Aside from the very first steps out of Arrille’s Tradehouse, how often are you using iron or steel weaponry? How often do you use that random bone charm you found in the tomb that casts some minor illusion hex for 10 seconds?

I really like the idea of overhauling custom made enchantments—I wish there was a way for the player to make artifact level enchantments with great effort. A multi step ritual or something.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

That's disgusting... and I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Hotkey distant land toggle or shaders or distance in mgexe

Also make sure you're running morrowind optimization project and project atlas

Are morrowind optimization project and project atlas compatible with morrowind enhanced textures (the GAN generated texture one)?