Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mortimer posted:

Zero way, and that's part of the reason they're taking a while. Despite cracking some of the exe's formulas they refused to use any original bethesda code and went with their own solutions for equal functionality.

It's still an unlicensed derivative work.

I mean, it's an awesome project, and it can only sell more copies of the game, and there would be a very strong case for a fair use defense, but none of that would actually prevent the copyright holders from suing them.

Thank god Morrowind didn't ship with DRM, or they would also be in violation of the DMCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I may have never read a readme more packed with contempt than BTB's. Try to imagine a novella-length diatribe by a goony goon for whom stuff like potion-intelligence-boosting and sword-of-white-woe-yoinking is a deadly insult. He practically made a new game that's more to his Might & Magic tastes.

I actually want to try it, but maybe not the version that makes raising misc skills by use impossible, good grief.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

You forgot the constant bitching about his harpy of an ex-wife

You can't handle all this edginess.

quote:

Even larger and more noticeable was the armor rating gap, which ultimately contributed more than anything to medium armor's massive inferiority complex. I did my best to close this gap like the legs of a syphillis-ridden whore

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Does Tamriel Rebuilt necessitate a new save file being generated?

Probably not, but to make doubly sure, you can use Wyre Mash to update your save to include the TR esm.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Dammit, I was certain that the TES games had some sort of system to make all my decisions in fan-made mods be canon parts of the lore!

It does, but that doesn't stop other people's decisions from also being canon.

(this post is canon)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BTB's Character module also gives Argonian's perma-water-breathing, and the readme claims something like "I know some of you think this will cause problems with a certain quest, well I tested it and it doesn't."

I haven't tried it, but according to UESP, the quest completes if you're at 10 health in the water, no matter how much breath you have. Maybe that's how it can still work?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What potion ingredients are gluten-free? Asking for a friend.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Open Canton mods worked great when I used them, and that was three rounds of Moore's law ago.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

Just a heads up: Nick 'Ulillillia' Smith is currently playing the XBOX version of Morrowind and posting about on his public facebook. :D

Wooow. Can we have a link to it? I could only find this profile, which hasn't been updated since last year.

Fingers crossed that he knows about alchemy-intelligence-cheese.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Performance and platforms (MacOS, Linux).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Haha, I hadn't noticed this issue on the tracker before.

Not really sure by what standard it's rated "40% complete" but okay.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm in Australia and the seagulls sound like cliffracers :stare:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The thing that finally broke me was having to walk all the way down to the Morag Tong hideout in Vivec, theres like 10 doors you have to pass through and its not close to the silt strider at all. It's basically a 10-15 minute journey just by itself.

Or, in terms of the default day/night cycle, a 5-7.5 hour one.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope. MWE, MWSE, MGE, MGEXE, FPSOpt, and MCP are all things that do not and will never work with OpenMW.

The hope is that OpenMW makes it easier to make mods that fundamentally change the game, but when we reach that blessed day, they will have to be rewritten in whole or in part.

e: quote for new page

Mister Adequate posted:

So what's the current status of the big Telvanni mods? I remember last time I was playing MW there were some rumblings about updates and/or new versions but in the absence of the old kind of centralized sites it's hard to be sure if what I'm coming across is up to date or what.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

And whatever the gently caress Azura is about. "Being a petty rear end in a top hat"?

I think it's overwhelming beauty which blinds you to distinctions.

As I've understood it, the Daedra mirror aspects of human existence and experience which are prior to civilization, or maybe even to culture. Azura isn't a "goddess of nature" because she likes trees and rides a moose or anything, but she's the incarnation (or source) of the quality of the world which sometimes arrests or hypnotizes us, when we look out into a garden, or watch a sunset (she is associated with dawn and dusk).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"I encountered this bug during my burst from level 620 to 1019."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That is indeed a post from Minot North Dakota's most famous Walmart employee, Nick "ulillillia" Smith.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

Added a ton of new images to my Uvirith's Legacy 4 WIP album on Imgur: http://m.imgur.com/a/eU7c9

After doing the new bathrooms, I spent like an hour making a mesh for a poop stick. And then after placing the poop stick, I realized there was no way to tell your poop stick from anyone elses. So I wrote a non-quest where your apprentice accidentally uses your poop stick, because it wasn't labled, so he buys you a new poop stick that says, "Property of the Archmagister. Do not Touch on Pain of Death." So of course I had to spend another hour retexturing my poop stick into a fancier poop stick with that poo poo actually written on it in gold lettering.

So dammit, I turned it into a weapon to make all that sleep-deprive-induced bullshit worthwhile. It does no damage, but does a demoralize cast-on-strike, because who wouldn't run from someone brandishing a possibly poop-covered sponge-on-a-atick.

:kiss:

e: Let's Reinstall Morrowind: Uvirith's Legacy is better than your megapack

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

In real life? Cleaning your rear end in a top hat after making GBS threads.

In the game? Immersion, naturally.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Go ahead and add that in, we'll wait 😉

I agree with the above poster, the combat is fine and part of what is enjoyable about Morrowind. I mean I'm all for someone improving the game and if they overhaul it and it's good gently caress yea, but I'd rather they focus on improving backwards compatibility first (mwse, mge, etc) then start adding entirely new features in.

I should poke around OpenMW I wonder how much of a mess (or not) the code base is.

Improving combat is not a goal of the openmw project; enabling mods which make fundamental changes, like replacing combat systems, is.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sotha Sil Expanded (trainwiz's GDR-equivalent for tribunal). Uvirith's Legacy and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy (if you're down with RoHT, you'll probably love these), BigMod (ranks in factions let you do more stuff). I also like Necessities and Stinkers but I may just be an idiot.

---

I really wish there was a better way to collaborate on mod installations and orderings than posting lists like this. I've thought of using gitlab repositories, but I assume that would constitute distributing the mods not how the authors wanted.

One of my Someday/Maybe projects is a mod package management system built off OpenMW and Nix. It wouldn't be compatible with hand-edits to the settings.cfg file, but more importantly people still want to play the non-open game. Also, I hear Nix is not-too-great on Windows. But the result would be a file that describes exactly what mods you want and what order to load them in. Edit the file and re-run the command, and mods are installed or uninstalled as you wish.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

I might just be a casual but I found Sotha Sil Expanded extremely frustrating without some kind of "how to" to refer to. I couldn't tell whether I'd broken something by going somewhere I wasn't meant to be or if I'd just gotta plain old stuck.

As I noted re: NoM and Bathing mod, I could be an idiot masochist.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

kazr posted:

You sense yourself more aware, more open to new ideas. You've learned a lot about Morrowind. It's hard to believe how ignorant you were -- but now you have so much more to learn.

The single thing wrong with this post is that it's too long to be a thread title.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If the tech can't handle a populous megacity, why not just set the 4th game somewhere else?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

Someone post the pictures of pillowdome over balmora. I lost my copies.

This?

I was hoping for a dome over the entire city.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Atrayonis posted:

The big Morrowind province mods are their own thing - at Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel, we wrote our own take on "lore" and the future TES games sort of passed us by.

:stare::love: You...you people really get it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Since every game takes place mid-Dragon Break, every time someone fails to acknowledge your rank, its because you didn't receive that rank in the past they remember. They really want to give you that quest to kill a few rats because it's their destiny to give it. It's not their fault everything's happening out of order.

A game that made every faction membership/leadership measurably change the game would be amazing, but I'd be happy with a character just acknowledging the oddness of the status quo.

e: a character besides Ma'iq

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm a corporate lawyer so yeah I have a vague idea. It's terrible nonsense that nobody should care about unless they have to and should never, ever be brought into fan discussions of all things.

"Oh no I have to change my opinion about the continuity of this fictional world because of copyright law"

Can it be? The fabled "Good Lawyer"?!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Speaking of openmw I do not remember ever hearing that it has a multiplayer mod now.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I use a mod that delays DB attacks until you're more renowned, and I'm willing to defend that choice.

I won't say it's more realistic (who knows, maybe Helseth has a mole in the Blades), but I think it makes at least as much fictional sense, and that it's a slightly better design: it's not fun to play a character who isn't able to defeat or evade the attacks, and they're really just a clever way to lead you to content which is balanced for higher levels anyway.

I don't see this as being the same as mods that that "fix" Creeper or alchemy or move the Sword of White Woe or bullshit like that.

e:

Stuporstar posted:

If becoming a god in MW is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
:yeah:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That is a really cool idea. More mods should give you things to do with the equipment you don't use besides selling it; it really is clutter past a certain point.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tamriel Rebuilt is too real now, we have to start joking about Project Tamriel's chances instead.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Node posted:

Seen any elves? HA HA HA!

I enjoyed this exchange. Now I'm going to ruin it by taking it seriously.

Dark Souls style upgrading fits Dark Souls because you're permanently destroying things for just a little power. You're tossing them into the metaphorical fire to drive back the metaphorical shadows. It doesn't fit Morrowind, where power comes from practice and exploration.

Given the bribe system, it'd be nice if you could give NPCs objects of value directly.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I hope that in 40 years Project Tamriel will have finished at least one province. Skyrim would be my first choice, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I know Vvardenfell by itself is less than 10 mi2, Skyrim is ~15, Oblivion is ~20, and Daggerfall is ~60 thousand.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

almalexia: well what do we have here?
vivec: this, almalexia, is a weapon that was used to slay an official of the tribunal church not 10 minutes ago. sotha sil, a fine mer, i might add--you work fast, n'wah!
nerevarine: you know i just got off the boat
almalexia: well its a good thing we picked you up and retrieved the murder weapon
nerevarine: that's not mine!
vivec: dont bullshit me, s'wit!
almalexia: yeah, dont bullshit him, s'wit!
nerevarine: the gently caress you want from me this time?
vivec: when we want you, we'll find you. in the meantime, try not to slay anymore officials of the church.
nerevarine: y'all can't leave me here, this is ballas turf!
vivec: i thought you said you was innocent? that you don't bang?

*dumps nerevarine in ballas hood*

vivec: see you 'round like the wheel, fetcher! hahaha!
nerevarine: aw poo poo, here we go again. worst place in the world, rolling heights, balmora. i aint represented the guild in years, but the ballas won't give a poo poo.

jiub: Hey, tell me why I didn't finish high school.
nerevarine: Because you been dealing drugs, man, since the age of ten!
jiub: No, that ain't it.
nerevarine: ...Because you went and put hands on that teacher for wearing Ballas colors!
jiub: No, that ain't it either. It's 'cause I'm too intelligent for this poo poo, man. I am the real deal, fool. Oh yeah. A genius.
nerevarine: Oh, oh yeah?
jiub: Who has more spells than anybody? Who has all the spells, huh?
nerevarine: A man with a lot of magic? poo poo, I give up.
jiub: The empire my n'wah, the empire! Let's go.
nerevarine: Yeeaah...yeah!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

caius cosades: You picked the wrong house, fool!

e: wait thats dumb, caius is obviously toreno

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 25, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vargs posted:

The thought of somebody playing Morrowind on-and-off for years doing nothing but 1 damage quick swings is fuckin amazing

To all you who did this: I concede that your love of the game is greater than mine.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Damage also changes for weapons depending on how you were moving when you first held down the attack button (though there's a toggle in the base game to always use the best attack, can't remember if it was on or off by default).

I liked it off, because it makes spears feel slightly more awkward and deliberate, which might be accurate? Or even balanced?

Not like either of those words reeeeally belong in a description of Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well the Dwemer turned themselves into body parts for Numidium (the skin) so it's not far-fetched

Also of course all "daedric" items, including armor pieces, are daedra.