Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Is this a mockup of what Arsenic Lupin's doorbell is going to look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Crunchy Black posted:

If you feel the need to backup your vote for Joe Biden that genuinely and personally, hoooo boy.

I'd vote for Charles Manson if it got Trump out of the White House.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cat Hatter posted:

drat, I was going to post that video. Biggest offender of home shows ruining people's houses with tacky crap was Monster House, the spinoff of Monster Garage where you had to live in whatever that week's team hacked together. Their version of every white person wanting a tiki bar in their house was to put the giant Olmec head Mr. Burns gave Homer Simpson into someone's living room and make it shoot a fireball into the middle of the room.

The Glumslinger posted:

Atleast Monster House made it pretty clear that you're house was gonna get turned into a weird fever dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhbjwN5TzPI&t=2785s

I'll bet some of you thought I was exaggerating about the giant head that breathes fire...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Friend of mine used to be an archaeologist and one of the major reasons she quit was the outright hostility from and being jerked around by developers, who are required to get an archaeological survey done in much of the Bay Area for their developments.

The one that sticks in her head is the developer who was told that he was developing a site that was almost certainly on top of a Native American burial ground, continued, hit the burial ground, and reported nothing (which is illegal obviously). A passerby spotted a skull in a ditch and called the police, at which point my friend's company got called in - turns out the developer had just been bulldozing graves to the side to make way for foundations. And, y'know, there are still members of that tribe in the area (and in fact there's often a tribal observer at these archaeological surveys when it's expected they'll find something related to the tribe), so it's not just an academic "this is bad because it's beyond disrespectful to those who came before", it's actively making GBS threads on their descendants.

That developer's being sued by the county now, but of course who knows if that'll actually result in any real punishment.

Poltergeist 4: More Respectful Than Actual Developers

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elder Postsman posted:

How do you get into that sewing room bathroom

Fire-pole from upstairs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of making GBS threads in the woods, one of the guys from LoadingReadyRun has romanticized the concept so when they took a big road trip from Victoria to Forty Mile, Yukon a few years ago he managed to make it happen.

Here's a completely work safe clip from their Q&A afterwards because it didn't make the main show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcXEzU6ahc&t=5678s (should be 1:34:40 ish)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I got an 8-pack of frozen burritos but it only contained 7.

How can I turn this to my financial advantage?

Your pipes will thank you for cramming one less frozen burrito down the toilet, so I guess you're already saving on a plumber.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

“Suicide cords are played out.”

“I have an idea.”

If that's paired with an interlock, that's the proper way to hook up a generator.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SourKraut posted:

The connector is, but the means by which they installed it is not good... though I'll give slight kudos for trying to MacGyver their own outdoor weatherproof covered outlet box, even if it could get them killed...

I'd still rather take a weatherproof box with a cord connector installed in it (with an interlock) over someone backfeeding their panel with a suicide cord and a Sharpie note saying "Turn off MAIN when using generator" on the panel.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Three-phase was a self-ban not a mod ban, I don't think they can free him unless he wants to come back

:golfclap:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just get a Colin Furze ejector bed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVzn1pl4nlo

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Is Grover building a new house?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Emu farms were a big thing in the US in the late 90s/early 00s apparently, much to the amusement of any Australian.

Wasn't this what happened to the main character in Tremors 2? He made a bunch of money between movies and then spent it all on emus or ostriches or something.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

AlternateAccount posted:

Would sleeving a drilled hole or a notch with a strong piece of pipe or angled steel maintain the strength?

Not really. You seem to be thinking of it like a tunnel or a stone archway where everything is in compression, but some of the wood is going to be trying to pull away from itself and nothing is going to stick them together well enough that anyone would trust it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What if the job is toilet fixer

How else is a goon going to end up in the Executive Washroom?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Why is there insulation in the floor between two living areas?

Sound deadening

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

canyoneer posted:

planning a living room addition I guess

I want you to know I blew right past this the first time I read it, but its quite good.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If I give in to my lust for cheap midwestern housing and buy a wreck of a church, I'll tribal tat the replacement windows when I sell the stained glass on ebay to an overzealous catholic.

Planning to start a restaurant and not take out the garbage for an extra special long time?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Are they doing a live action remake of the Rocko's Modern Life where a contractor turns every room in his house into a bathroom?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

Who gave that tree a clean bill of health? The late Harold Bornstein?

What do you mean? Trees naturally grow at a 20 degree angle, coincidentally brushing against but not resting on a nearby roof.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

All the foliage coming straight out of the trunk is concerning.

Healthy, stable trees do not do that.

I think that's how Hexxus died in FernGully.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

value-brand cereal posted:

You know, I heard blood straight from a freshly butchered cow tastes like liquid steak. I wonder how dog berries taste. Probably good enough to eat more than one.

Blood tastes pretty similar to egg yolk. Do with this information what you will.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Is that a bathtub full of swamp-water half buried in the yard?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's giving me Shining vibes for some reason, even though that room was red with white accents.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I read the first part and thought he was going to use the propellers to take power from an ocean current. Then got to the part where he seems to think if you put one end of a hose deep underwater it'll just start shooting out the other end.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Maybe they can't replace a router without proving that it is dead, and that is the easiest way?
I would give the tech a 10/10 if they fried a router at my place so they can replace it. Then run for the fire extinguisher.

I used to know a guy on the Geek Squad who said they had a transformer for running high voltage through anything they didn't want to cause problems when they sent it back for an RMA. He said they'd touch the probes to pretty much every component on the board to be sure.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arrath posted:

Reminds me of breaking several of the boards on a friend's front stairs as we tried to grunt a gun safe up them and into his house. :allears:

Reminds me of when my cousin threw a party and, aside from all the other ways they trashed the house, they dropped the keg and broke one of the basement stairs. Knowing there was no way to clean up in time, my cousin fled the scene so his mom (basically if Lois from Malcolm In The Middle was single) would have time to calm down after she got home. This ended up being counter-productive.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only in the gym, why would a goon need the gym

But it has (had?) an 18ft ceiling, so you can put in a big door and a lift to work on your Miata.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It is amazing how people will go to great lengths to reinvent the train, but now with added classism to keep out the poors from your libertarian mass transit paradise.

They keep reinventing the train because trains are usually not economically viable for moving people around so they need to make it different enough that maybe it'll work this time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mass transit doesn't have to be profitable, but if they can serve the same number of people for less money with a bus, then it's more likely they'll put in a bus line. I wish light rail was more prevalent too, but if a city has $X to spend on mass transit and once they buy land and lay track they can serve 10 million people or they can use that same money on buses and serve 50 million people, they're usually going to get the buses.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Buses are cheaper upfront because roads already exist. Busses are heavy and may in time increase the costs of road maintenance, but that won't come out of the transit budget and besides that's a tomorrow problem.

Routes can also be added or changed easier. The other big advantage is not having to buy a bunch of land that people would probably rather keep for themselves. If they put in a bus route and everyone starts using it then they know the demand exists to justify a train. If 10 people ride that bus per day then at least they figured that out ahead of time. I'd like to be able to take a train more often too (or an airship or hovercraft for that matter), it just doesn't make sense to implement as much as we'd like.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I know this is the least important thing going on here, but are they saying the difference between 6' and 4.5' is 2.5'?
https://imgur.com/onBh48h.mp4
(Not sure how imgur video embeds work)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Warmachine posted:

The monorail isn't cars and doesn't sell teslas.

Trains and subways also perform a different job than busses. They move a large number of people across a city fast. They don't compete with road traffic. Most other posters have pointed out what trains do, but I think your first post misses the idea that busses are best used as "last mile" transport from a larger capacity transit solution, like a train. Of course, because of sprawl transit implementation is turbofucked because why would you put a subway station on a stroad that has no sidewalks and is more parking lot than businesses?

On a crappy construction topic, I think "the drop ceiling lives up to its name" deserved more fanfare than it got.

I'm not missing that, busses suck rear end. I'm saying that trains are prohibitively expensive for most of the places people wish they were once you consider the number of people they'd serve and its better to give crummy service (a bus) to a bunch of people than a nice service (a train) to a handful of people.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hedenius posted:

You’re not wrong or anything but it drives me insane that we’re only allowed to discuss costs when it’s related to public transportation. Imagine if we would consider cars in the same way. The public cost per person of building and maintaining roads to the average suburban hell is insane. Then add to that what the average commuter has to pay a month for their car and fuel. Trains only seem expensive when you assume all that other poo poo is free.

Part of the problem though is that you'll still need many of those roads so trucks can make deliveries to stores and factories, and once the road already exists and can withstand a semi truck hauling 50,000lbs of lumber to Home Depot then you'd might as well let people drive their cars on it.

Even with industrial/agricultural rail being as built up as it is in the US, it's still usually hundreds of miles of travel by truck before it starts being cheaper to put everything on a train and then transfer to a truck near the destination. Yes, that's partially because the roads are subsidized, but it's also easier to get dual-use out of a road than try and cram people on a train trundling along at 20mph behind a literal cattle car.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zil posted:

Why the firetruck?
Necessary for when you get this many of the areas hottest coeds together under one roof!

Beef Of Ages posted:

I drove by this the other day and found it to be very much in keeping with the area in which it resides. It's also worth noting that the actual club is in the building in the back right of that image. The building near the highway is used to hang the sign lest anyone miss this gem.
Oh, well at lest it looks like a rundown VFW hall then.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GotLag posted:

Am I the only one who sees the outline of a cowboy in this picture? Am I going insane? Why can I smell toast?

I see what you're talking about too, even if I think it looks more like the blue guy that owned Anakin in Phantom Menace riding a triceratops.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Warmachine posted:

Cowboy I get. This one though... Not seeing it.

If you take the tallest dark splotch on the right wall to be a rider facing left, he has a big downward curved nose like Gonzo but shorter and fatter so I went with Watto. Below them near the bottom of the wall are two dark splotches to represent the front legs of the animal they're riding.

Left wall makes a large head and the stepping of the blocks makes the nose horn, one of the upper horns, and that frill on the back of it's neck.

I don't feel like drawing this one and accept you probably won't get it from my description.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 18, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The commercial version of a sheet of plywood that says "If animal trapped call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm really glad y'all talked about those three prong adapters. My partner got a free 55" TV from her friend and casually mentioned to me that she bought an adapter for the wall. Guess we'll be running an extension cord to the basement or something for a bit lol

Technically those adapters are fine if the outlet itself is grounded and the metal ring on the adapter is placed under the screw that attaches the faceplate. Those are some big caveats, but it's what makes those adapters legal to sell in the way Linux ISOs make BitTorrent legal.

Still better to just get a GFCI outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If only there was some way to ventilate a garage. Like having a wall that can be almost entirely removed or something.