Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Wow. I thought it was odd when some friends of the family were using their sunroom as another bedroom for their kids, but that seems almost normal in comparison. I don't have any pictures, but it was basically a closed-in glass sunroom, with a metal roof and all. There was a sliding glass door between the sunroom and the kitchen, and a regular door between the sunroom and the hallway. There was also a window into the bedroom next door.

Some of the windows were covered with curtains, but they didn't have enough to cover everything. I remember they had lace curtains on the sliding glass door, so if you were in the kitchen you could stare straight into the bedroom. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yesterday I was at an outdoor concert in the courtyard between some new restaurants and shops downtown. The area was pretty nice, but the bathroom kind of scared me. I turned the sink on to wash my hands, and the fluorescent lights overhead went dim. At first I figured it was just coincidence, but I turned the faucet off and they got brighter. So I turned the faucet on and off a few times, and the light got dimmer every time I turned it on. I don't want to even know what you have to gently caress up to make that happen.. :stare:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The chandelier in my kitchen hangs about 6 feet off the ground. Even though we put a table under it, my fiance still manages to hit his head on it sometimes. He also manages to walk into the pull chains for the ceiling fans in two different rooms. Residential construction just isn't kind to the tall.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My last place had a shower window that was about 5ft up, but it had frosted glass and the windowsill was tiled just like the shower. It was great extra storage for shampoo, body wash, and the occasional beer. Really, the only problem I had with it was that the screen was slightly bent and let bugs in if the window was open. That was real fun to deal with when some wasps built a nest outside and decided to come in, but I was able to wire it shut after getting the wasps out. Pretty much everything else about that place sucked, but that shower window was okay.

Also, if your shower curtain is looking rank, just throw it in the tub and fill it with water. Add a little bleach, let it soak, and it de-grosses pretty easily. Makes cleaning the tub really easy too.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I just don't have a basement. Problem solved.

In fact, none of the homes I have ever lived in have had a basement, and none of my friends houses have a basement. I guess they just aren't a thing out here. v:shobon:v

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Rurutia posted:

I do feel like the only way to not get hosed is to have a trustworthy family member/friend who is in the business.

My parents had the tile redone in one of our bathrooms when I was a kid. The guy they hired was a plumber who also did tiling. We knew him because he was also a pastor who ran Sunday services and Bible studies out of his home, which we regularly attended. All in all, a really great guy, trustworthy, strong work ethic, etc. About halfway through the job he told my mother, offhand, that he had to "fire himself" from his previous job because he just wasn't that great at tiling and the boss was too nice to fire him himself. Every tile in that shower/tub was crooked. :suicide:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd really like a redwood on my yard but I am too far north for them to survive here I think.

I am not a redwood expert, but a dawn redwood might work for you. They might not grow as tall as coast redwoods, and they don't have the same dark red bark, but I think they're still pretty. Unlike their relatives, they're actually deciduous trees, which may be a pro or a con depending on your viewpoint. I think it makes the foliage nicer because it's softer and brighter green, especially when the leaves are new. :3:

Maybe the folks in the general plant thread or bonsai thread could tell you if one would work in your area?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh dude, if we had a thread for "poo poo you know is wrong in your house that you're loving ignoring" it would be twelve times the length of this thread and six times as scary.
I started making this list and it got kind of depressing, so I'll just post this one:

There's one tile in my shower that was cracked, then used anyway. Like, whoever installed it actually installed the two pieces separately and grouted around them. I don't know if it's because they didn't buy extra tile or if they were just that cheap, but it amuses me.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I think I've mentioned in this thread that I used to live in a warehouse that was converted into lofts. Krysmopompas' story got me to look it up, and it turns out the place actually was a paper factory, originally built in the 20s. I wonder how common factory-turned-loft apartments are in this area? Mine was in the shittiest part of Oakland, on the wrong side of multiple train tracks.

I think my "favorite" thing about that place were the bare floorboards painted glossy beige, with tin can lids nailed down to cover the knotholes. :allears:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

krysmopompas posted:

Cotton Mill Studios? That's all I can think of that fits that description. It's a beautiful building with nice brick, old wood (when it isn't painted over) and tons of space. I'd love to live there, but I felt like it was a bunker when I visited though.

Loft conversions seem incredibly common here - http://www.eastbaymodern.com/oakland-lofts.php (and that doesn't cover any of the rentals or the lower-end properties.) It's a great place to be if you like this sort of thing, and that's why I'm here.

No, Cotton Mill actually looks kind of nice. My place was off of 880/High St, and directly across the street from a concrete recycling facility.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Today I discovered that one of the shelves in my garage might as well have been attached to load-bearing drywall. The bottom of the bracket was screwed in place, but the top holes were nailed, and those nails decided to pull away, causing the shelf to fall forward and bend the brackets right above the screws. This is the same shelf my roommates stored pool-cleaning chemicals and pesticides on, so we're very fortunate that none of the containers broke or spilled. After we cleaned up we installed new shelves that sit on the floor instead of anchor to the wall. That's when I realized the "shelf" we just took down had cabinet door hardware on one side. :eng99:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Riddle me this: the house I grew up in was built in the 60s. Both bathrooms had electric outlets. So why did the hallway bathroom have the light switch inside, and the master bathroom have it outside? Is it for building trust exercises, like "man, I hope my spouse doesn't turn the light off while I'm pooping"? :confused:

Still, not as weird as my current place. I swear whoever did the wiring had a light switch fetish, because there's about four per room, on average. All of them are connected to different things. Some of those things, I still have not discovered, in the two years I've lived here. Thankfully it's about to be not my problem, since the landlord is kicking us out so she can bilk some poor soul out of a lot more money for this place. I feel bad for whoever lives here next, because it's not a bad place, but the landlord is really cheap and lovely about upkeep.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

NancyPants posted:

Paper factory converted into loft apartments. The 2x10s for the beams are bolted together every two feet or so which hopefully counteracts the fact that many of them are split lengthwise in places.

It's like someone cut all the joists too short by an inch or so.

This isn't in Oakland, is it? I think I've mentioned it here before, but I used to live in a paper-factory-turned-apartment there. Pictures of the crappy construction in that place could easily fill their own thread, if I had any. My "favorite" feature was the knotholes in the floorboards that were covered with tin can lids and painted over in the same awful beige as everything else there. Except the kitchen. The kitchen had black and white linoleum tile flooring, and some of the pipes running through it were painted neon green like some kind of dystopian Mario level. Also, the floor was lower than the top of the windows in the unit below us by about two feet.

My unit isn't pictured here, but you get the idea. Some of these actually look a bit nicer than my old place. http://www.petersonprop.com/47thAveStudios.html

I also lived in a similarly awful loft in Berkeley for a bit that used to be warehouse space. Still had the roll-up gate and everything, except a previous tenant had cut part of it out and installed a regular door in it. :confuoot:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

wolrah posted:

My favorite layout has the bath tub right next to the toilet. I discovered the beauty of this configuration in college. Being able to lean over and effectively have the largest bucket in the house right there is quite useful for minimizing the mess.

My toilet is right between the sink and the bathtub. The rest of my apartment might be (definitely is) crappy construction, but drat that bathroom is highly optimized for puking and making GBS threads at the same time.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

These people must have a cat. A cat that they hate.

Yeah, everyone saying their cat would love it would be right, except everything appears to have a smooth, slick finish, and it's right above the fireplace.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It's like they installed that gate specifically to inconvenience wheelchair users. Literally anyone else could just walk around it.

immoral_ posted:

When your winRar trial expires.

You joke, but I know someone who has actually paid for WinRar. Dude had some strange ideas of how to celebrate turning 30.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Sociopastry posted:

thanks for the saddest sentence I've ever read in my whole life

No problemo :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

DID SOMEBODY SAY ROOFLINES ?!?!?!?!

You know, there's so much going on here it almost works. Like someone took a maximalist approach to roofing.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

The restaurant I used to work at had hell beams like this running through it. Thankfully some previous occupant of the building managed to incorporate them into walls and partitions so they weren't a tripping hazard, because I cannot imagine the lawsuit that would happen if someone tripped on one and faceplanted on the slate floor. :stonklol:

Gonna guess they were part of a similar earthquake retrofit because we're the same general area of California and the building is fairly old.

E: oh poo poo, I know this area. That's right on the corner next to a couple of bars I used to frequent. Good spot to catch a live band or DJ night but I wouldn't ever want to live there. Hope you don't drive either, because you will literally never find a parking spot, and even if you did your car would be broken into as soon as you took your eyes off of it. Upside is that one of the clubs on that block also runs a 24hr pizza joint, so that's cool. Definitely not a nice part of the city though.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 27, 2018

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
:j: "Oh hey, that's not so bad. Kind of ugly and cracked, but it should be easy to put in a new floo-..." *scrolls down* "...Oh. Oh no."

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Brute Squad posted:

Cursed patch jobs?

When I was a kid, my brother cracked the glass in his bedroom window, and my parents just duct taped it together like that.. and left it that way for nearly 10 years. It wasn't even that we couldn't afford a repair, because they did things like remodeling the bathrooms and building a new deck, and replacing the window in their own goddamn room. We had cheap, lovely single pane windows in every room of the house except the master bedroom and it still perplexes me to this day. It didn't even get fixed when we sold that house, even though a number of other fixes were pretty much mandated. :wtc:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

Not so much a crappy construction, but a unusual focus on priorities

Home for sale: 1 bed 1 bath 816 sqft W/ HUGE 10 CAR ATTACHED CONCRETE BLOCK GARAGE 80 X 25 W/ SEPARATE 200 AMP ELECTRIC w/REAR ENTRY FROM ALLEY!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/914-E-Oak-St-Louisville-KY-40204/2092103544_zpid/

NEW roof! on the garage because that's the only part that matters

I think the part that amazes me, aside from the fact that this is a house with only one bedroom, is that they actually managed to build a kitchen with less storage and counter space than my studio apartment. To be fair, I don't have a stove/oven in my place, but I do have a counter to put my other appliances on and cupboards to store them in.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Saw this in the local news recently..
(Link has video that autoplays)

quote:

'Slavery Towers': Feds Say Immigrant Workers Forced to Build Luxury Condos in San Jose

Immigrant workers from Mexico were allegedly locked in shipping containers after spending the day working to build luxury condos in the South Bay.

The United States Department of Labor said the workers were held against their will and forced to work for nothing. The incident is allegedly tied to the Silvery Towers being built in downtown San Jose.

On Thursday, critics and unions called the development the "Slavery Towers." The developer in response has shut down the project.

Union members angry at the news that at least 22 of their coworkers were actually victims of human trafficking. US Dept. of Labor officials said that after work, the men were locked in a shipping container.

Federal agents two weeks ago arrested the unlicensed sub-contractor who hired them. Video obtained by NBC Bay Area shows a related raid in Hayward.

Federal officials said the workers were never paid for helping build the Silvery Towers luxury condos.

"It's a dark day when workers are treated like dogs," said Will Smith, with IBEW Local 332.

The developer, Full Power Properties, paid the lost wages even though they were not obliged to do so. Those who have spoken to the workers said the sub-contractor threatened violence on them or their families in Mexico at the hands of drug cartels if they sounded the alarm.

Watchdog groups said those kinds of threats are not rare in Santa Clara County.

"We see that in a lot of our trafficking cases, where there's those kinds of threats of cartels," said Ruth Silver Taube, South Bay Coalition to End Human Trafficking.

In a statement, the developer said they fired the sub-contractor immediately when they heard the allegations last year. The developer was not fined for any wrongdoing.

A San Jose councilman who showed up Thursday said this is not the city's proudest moment.

"It is extremely embarrassing, not just devastating," San Jose Councilman Raul Peralez said. "It's embarrassing to have this happen under our watch."

Full Power Properties said Thursday was just a misplaced publicity stunt by the unions. NBC Bay Area was scheduled to speak with some of the workers who were allegedly victimized, but they are still fearful of what might happen to them or their families back home.

Crappy Construction: Literal Slave Labor Edition

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

there wolf posted:

Chandeliers in bathrooms are a thing, but they're usually over the bathtub or centered in the room. Also they're usually bigger, because if you're going to be so excessive as to put a chandelier in a bathroom to begin with, you don't undersell it with a little rinky-dink one.

Personally, I'm digging the ultra-sleek, glossy, modern AF cupboards/vanities/etc paired with the softer lines of the vaguely Victorian-inspired wallpaper and tiny chandelier, as well as the pointy shower rocks paired with smooth subway station tile stripes. It's like he picked everything based entirely on color, nevermind the style. Or maybe he just wanted everything to be in ultra high contrast, and not just in the color scheme he picked. It's like one of those ancient high contrast Windows themes for the visually impaired.

poo poo, I actually like red/black/gray color schemes and this offends me. It's like every wall is trying to be the accent wall.

I could hear this in my head as soon as I saw that picture.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We had some terrible old plumbing at one of my previous jobs, which we took care of by moving out and making it somebody else's problem. :sparkles:

To be fair though it's not like we didn't try fixing it. The landlord just didn't want to work with us on anything because they knew once our lease was up they could kick us out and easily get triple what we were paying for the place if they found a new tenant. They were even doing some minor construction on the place while we were still occupying the building, and one of their idiots busted a pipe right outside the basement door and flooded the place. We had to close temporarily, replace carpets and other equipment, take some people off the schedule since you can't work in a flooded basement.. Of course we were never compensated for any of this by the landlord or whatever sketchy construction guys he had on the job.

A couple months after we vacated the building, the basement flooded again. This time they only discovered it because it started to seep through the walls into neighboring businesses.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

3. Tackle the project finally, make 8 trips to stores, order things online, make a mess, break something, get frustrated because this was supposed to be simple and straightforward

beep-beep car is go posted:

1. See a project that needs to be done
2. Research options, come up with a plan of attack
3. Brain goes "Well we thought about it and decided on how we would do it, that's as good AS doing it right?"
4. Bask in the glow of a false job well done.

Good god it's like all of my sewing projects. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We used to call it the condom game, because one of the items had to be a pack of them. I think the weirdest I've done is condoms, socks, and a whole pineapple.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Zereth posted:

It's like when I've expanded my temporary shelter in Minecraft over and over until it's a sprawling mess.

Yeah, I was gonna say it looks like my early Terraria bases, where one half is built out of rocks and dirt and basic wooden furniture. and the other half is built out of fancy rocks and dirt and none of the furniture matches anything.

there wolf posted:

The wall made out of old scotch crates seems exceptionally relevant.

I feel like this would be almost cool if it was done even remotely well. Like, if they had taken just five minutes to ensure their cuts were at 90 degree angles, or lined things up properly. Then again, I might just be tacky af.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my uncle's house had carpet in the bathroom and linoleum in the kitchen. My grandpa's house had carpet in the kitchen and linoleum in the bathroom. :crossarms:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I lived in an apartment with a concrete floor once. My roommate managed to gently caress it up by sliding his computer chair around aggressively enough. Like, I don't even know how. It was one thing when he hosed up the cheap wood flooring at our last place; I have no idea how he did that to concrete with a plastic rolling chair.

Thankfully I moved out long before he did and if they ever charged for damages, I wasn't on the hook.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When I was a kid, my parents did a partial remodel of one of the bathrooms, and hired a family friend to do the tile. He was a plumber by trade, but also did tilework, and since he was a friend from church he cut them a good deal, I guess. He was nearly done with the job when he off-hand mentioned that he had to "fire" himself from a previous job because he knew he wasn't very good at tiling and his boss was too nice to say so. :doh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We had a hot tub at my old place that heated to around body temps at the best of times and nobody got sick.. how did over 100 people get sick from just walking past one..? :raise:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Man, I meant that as sort of a rhetorical question but goons actually had some pretty good responses.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For home use hot tubs, they're usually kept at temperature and covered with an insulated top, because it costs too much energy to be always bringing them up to temp. But, those hot tubs keep the water cycling and thoroughly treated with chlorine and flocculants.

Usually. Our hot tub was an old piece of poo poo that came with the house (rental) and the cover didn't do a whole lot to keep it warm, so we only heated it up on occasion. Mostly just for parties and poo poo. I have no idea how much it would have cost to keep it running all the time, just that our one roommate was super weird about it so we just didn't use it all that often.

On the upside he at least kept the water treated and tested, though..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Nevets posted:

A malfunctioning hot tob in a rental shared with roommates. I think you just described the trifecta of ICK.

Did I mention it had electrical issues too? :v:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Every one of those kitchens is literally the worst one and yet somehow still nicer than mine.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I think that's the first time I've heard someone refer to this show by its original name.. :aaa:

Like, I had to click the link just to make sure we were both thinking of the same thing.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Javid posted:

And I don't know if this is an Arizona thing I'm unaware of, but all the doors have bottom gaps of varying size and the bathroom is the most notable one

My childhood bedroom had a big gap under the door just like that. The house had wall-to-wall carpet in every room when my parents bought it, and when they tore it up they realized there were really nice hardwood floors underneath. They refinished all of the wood floors and installed new carpet in all of the bedrooms except mine because I didn't want it, so I just lived with that weird gap under the door. :shrug:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
A friend of the family used to live in a house where the sun room had been kind of sort of converted into a bedroom. A bedroom with a sliding glass door leading into the kitchen, and a window that opened into another bedroom. It was.. odd, to say the least. There were a lot of curtains involved.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

tater_salad posted:

Thanks for making me happy about my hosue today.

SO far today
Snaked a huge lint plug out of the washtub in the basement the Trap disintegrated the second I touched it with a wrench
Turned on a faucet to test a fix of Pvc pipe that was leaking and found that the drain is leaking like a sieve.

But hey at least no one screwd wires into what looks like the service line coming into my electrical box.

..no one that you know of! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Miss posted:

i've had nightmares like this

All of my nightmares are like this