Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Saul Goode posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lord_Mountevans/status/1328475784600821761

...um, ok? Has Meltzer ever called himself the best sports reporter in the USA?
To add to what E&C said, he does routinely cite Deford's praise on Twitter these days to try to dunk on all sorts of people. From my Deadspin story about Deford and wrestling from right after he passed away:

https://deadspin.com/how-frank-deford-helped-pro-wrestling-journalism-become-1795783697

Howard Cosell, ranting in his 1991 book "What’s Wrong With Sports," singled out Meltzer’s column: “And what about the pro wrestling column in The National? How ugly. How insane.” That was when Deford publicly defended his protégée for the first time. “It was pretty condescending to me,” Meltzer recalled on Monday in a podcast for his website subscribers. “I just remember Frank ... that was the first time he did the thing of ‘The guy we have covering wrestling is one of the best sports reporters in the country, and it doesn’t matter what he’s covering; the fact is, it’s worth covering.” In later years, Deford would dub Meltzer “the most accomplished reporter in sport journalism” [in an NPR story] and tell the New York Times that “You could cover the Vatican or State Department and not do as good a job as Dave Meltzer does on wrestling.”

It's unclear how much he was reading the Observer week to week at any point that led him to this conclusion. (I suspect that, like with Phil Mushnick, Dave comped him a subscription for years and years, though.) f nothing else, Dave covering the State Department (which is not a bad comparison for reasons I'm about to explain) would have to tighten up how he does his anonymous sourcing, in that he rarely gives the reader any idea of where the information came from. Transparent sourcing doesn't require outing the source; "according to X source[s] in the WWE office" or "X WWE wrestler[s]" would be fine. (There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to when he actually chooses to do this.) And it seems like this is a sore spot to him, too, because when I made a passing reference to his sourcing/attribution habits in an article (specifically comparing him to Wade Keller, not a mainstream reporter), some idiot at the Observer board posted it, he acted like I was asking him to name every source (nope) and comparing him to non-wrestling reporters (double nope).

He's absolutely done plenty of great work (and I don't fault the grammar stuff given the volume he puts out and relative lack of an editor, past laughing at the the more ridiculous examples) and the Observer is an invaluable resource. These days, though, the Deford stuff is nothing more than a cudgel that he uses on people who (rightly or wrongly) criticize him on Twitter. Then again, if the consensus GOAT sportswriter had made a point of mentoring me and routinely praised me in the ways that Deford did Meltzer, I'd probably break it out on trolls sometimes, too.

And as for the praise elsewhere in the thread: Thank you. I try. Thankfully, I tend to flock to stuff other people covering this world aren't doing, both in the document/public record realm and now starting to integrate dystopia/internet culture reporting as it becomes more relevant to rasslin. But you'd also be surprised how much some people in mainstream reporting (or in wrestling media but with journalism degrees) don't know how to file document requests or obtain court records. And I say that as someone who (even if limiting it to pro wrestling) probably doesn't file nearly enough record requests, as what you really want is to file enough that you have a steady stream of things you forgot about coming in. There's a great interview with John Cook about FOIA advice that everyone with an interest in journalism should read: https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2014/foia-lessons-from-gawker-editor-john-cook/

(Even then, I *do* have plenty of unmined stuff, it's just that much of it is older. Hell, I dropped the entire 300+ page FBI file on WWE from '93-'94 along with the ring boys article—it's linked via a page number link to the PDF on DocumentCloud—and I'm not sure anyone even noticed! And that's something of interest where almost none of it was previously available in any form.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Crossposting this here because it's directly relevant:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1328490609104089104
(I won't plug it anywhere other than here and the WWE thread.)
Wait...which one is Heyman?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

!!!!!

Same Twitter account as the above embed?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Just using my own tweet since it's easier:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1329300667459133441

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Also, for someone who had something like a dozen matches, maybe less when she first appeared on Dynamite, she was shockingly competent.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

And Anna Jay (along with Lee Johnson & I think Alan Angels) is from the crop of QT’s students who was working for him before he was an obvious pipeline to AEW.
Angels was originally trained by A.R. Fox at WWA4 (I don't think anyone has ever explained why the "4" is there), but he's been training at Nightmare Factory since hooking up with AEW.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Not to defend Brian Cage, who seemingly has some questionable views, but to me, that reads like him basing it on Drake's Instagram posts/not realizing that this was about a Parler account with different poo poo on it.

Also, a question for everyone after a conversation I had earlier: Should I have made it more clear that you need an account to see all of the Parler content? (And thus that Drake was using it as a kayfabe account for stuff he wasn't going to say/share/endorse among polite company on mainstream platforms?) I did reference it by saying I made a burner account, but didn't lay it out completely, and it seems like not everyone got the message.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

https://twitter.com/ecwa1967/status/1335453672508182528?s=21

So that's horrific. But the guy who failed to catch the dude is in the comments yelling at anyone going "wow this is hosed up and could have been prevented."

https://twitter.com/tldwrestling/status/1335661372387041284?s=21
...did he just...not realize he was replying to someone who was defending him?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

jesus WEP posted:

his first ever good tweet and he deletes it?
RSN was giving him poo poo for it and their readers are weird so he may have been trying to nip that in the bud.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Re: PCO, I need to go back to the unused interview I did with him in Chattanooga, because I think he told the whole Nash story,

MassRafTer posted:

Vince Russo campaigning to make Dave more popular.

https://twitter.com/Wrestlefactor/status/1339681623961321473
While Russo and Lane are more or less right on the copyright/fair use argument...aren't these probably automated takedowns? I was under the impression that once Bryan and Tony started building up the F4WOnline YouTube channel in a big way, they set up ContentID to make sure that new shows wouldn't get bootlegged on the site.

That said, I'd LOVE to see Russo try to sue Dave for defamation. The statute of limitations is a year in most states, including California and Colorado, the most likely states for a lawsuit, is one year. (I don't know when Russo last lived in Indiana, but there, it's 2 years from the date you found out about it, but that's...an interesting twist on the law.) I guess whatever old Observers were added to the site in the last year could count as republication and be within the statute of limitations, but otherwise, as someone who hasn't actually worked in wrestling in the last year or so, he has an uphill battle even before you get to how it's highly unlikely that Dave ever defamed him as it's defined under the law for a reporter writing about a public figure. Could Dave have gotten worked by sources at times when reporting on Russo? Sure. But sources lying to Dave wouldn't make it reckless disregard for the truth and obviously wouldn't be actual malice on Dave's part.

(I do have weird feelings about this as someone Dave has said a bunch of made-up nonsense about lately, but I'm not exactly convinced that HE'S who made it up and not some hanger-on he listened to uncritically. Although it's involved things he SHOULD know better about, as both were things we messaged about when we were on better terms.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

BTW: Contrary to popular belief (although Wiki and Cagematch have it correct), Jacques didn't train PCO. Pat Girard was his original trainer.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

JOHN CENA posted:

cant believe that guy without a visa wanted to get paid
To elaborate on this a bit:

As Carter even admitted publicly, he didn't have a work visa and, as a result, AEW didn't pay him, but it was a thing everyone agreed to. (I believe he was in the country on a different type of visa.) The problem that made WWE the only option is that, for pro wrestlers, USCIS examiners tend to focus on awards, titles, rankings, etc., even though most of those things are imaginary/fictional. This means that if AEW or Impact wanted to sponsor him for a work visa, they'd be limited to...what, rave reviews of U.S. indie work in a short period of time that may not have been entirely above board as far as USCIS would be concerned? He didn't even have a profile on Cagematch yet, despite working for prominent indies like GCW.

Signing with WWE to work for NXT UK (for now) was the only choice that didn't come with massive risk, and it had the bonus of being where his trainer is a top guy and management favorite with a decent amount of power. Hopefully, the other offers got him enough leverage to get an above-average contract for NXT UK, but going home and working NXT UK tapings that WWE can parlay into an American work visa for him down the road was the only thing that made sense. And when his contract is up, if he wants to go elsewhere, it'll be much more feasible.

It is what it is. Generally, if anyone were to ask my opinion of if a foreign national with options in the U.S. should sign with WWE, I would say no because there are too many stories, both public (like the Cezar Bononi stuff) and otherwise, of weird WWE bullshit where they messed with the international talent. (This is barring a WALTER type of situation where they basically offered him a ton of money to live a slightly modified version of his indie life while still residing in Germany, of course.) But if we're being realistic, Ben Carter didn't have such options.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Punch McLightning posted:

Bix: I remember the story of Dave writing a letter of recommendation to the US government for Lance Storm to work for Smoky Mountain. How much has the system changed since then? Is that still a thing that happens?
People like Dave writing a letter for it or the process in general?

I have no idea how many or how few Dave has written; IIRC, Lance is the only one he ever talked about, even before Lance shared that stuff. But Dave is weird when it comes to that kind of stuff, like how Eddie Alvarez kind of sort of used him as an expert witness when he sued Bellator. That's...probably not a thing he should have done, ethically speaking. (I have no idea if he was paid or not, but this wasn't him being called as a witness at trial. It was Dave providing his expert analysis when the lawsuit was filed.) I don't know what the ethics of writing a letter to help with a visa application are, but personally, visa bullshit is one of those things where I don't mind wrestler secrecy and have no problem with being asked for an extra layer of secrecy if the info is shared with me. It's not worth potentially ruining someone's life over a minor pro wrestling scoop.

Also: You can read Dave's letter for Lance in the article I wrote about how ridiculous the visa process is for pro wrestlers: https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/foreign-wrestlers-us-immigration

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Luigi Thirty posted:

Benoit’s visa application is public record (from one of the WCW lawsuits, minus redacted personal info) if you want to see all the bullshit they had to submit to let him stay.
His alien file in USCIS's FOIA reading room because it was a popular request after he killed himself: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/foia/LIT2012000013_-_Christopher_Benoit.pdf

Any alien file is public record after the subject dies. I've gotten a bunch over the years and they range from mild curiosities (here's a letter that X promoter sent, that's cool!) to having information that gives us a better understanding of wrestling history (here are Chris Adams' 1099 filings from a couple years before his green card application, so you can get an idea of what top guys in World Class made). Some of them are pretty funny, like WWE repeatedly using the same boilerplate in the '80s about having difficulty finding suitable talent domestically (during the expansion!) and thus having to look abroad, even in Andre The Giant's application. Some get you random poo poo like Ivan Koloff being arrested for cow tipping as a teenager in Canada.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I don't believe the Rip/Flash/Bostic story, but I also don't think he's saying that they worked matches on Dark so much as they appeared as security guards or something. Alan Angels, for example, was used as an extra a bunch of times where you wouldn't have known it was him before he ever worked a match for AEW. (He was the "fan" who threw the drink at MJF at Full Gear 2019, for example.) And they've flown in a bunch of non-GA/FL workers for Dark, too, so bringing in a couple Indiana guys isn't a stretch in and of itself so much as:

1. AEW bringing in Flash Flanagan and not having him work a match (unless it was a coach tryout?).
2. AEW bringing in Dylan Bostic at all.

...are both very difficult to believe.

And to add to the other replies: Ben Carter is such an outlier because of the visa issues that calling his non-payment exploitation is ridiculous. They didn't pay him because they couldn't legally pay him and doing so would then also be a major issue if they then tried to sponsor a work visa for him.

Meanwhile, this just happened and I'm not sure what to think of it, both in general and because I don't want to call Rip Rogers after midnight:
https://twitter.com/Hustler2754/status/1342695333898412033

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Punch McLightning posted:

I don’t know enough about Dylan Boston to say anything about the likelihood of him being brought in by AEW, but Flash feels really weird unless he’s a great trainer or super respected/liked guy or something.
Dylan Bostic is a very non-notable regional indie wrestler who's only known outside of his area because of his ridiculously inflated Twitter follower count, his habit of repeatedly following, unfollowing, and refollowing people to get them to follow him back, etc. This included a very public tantrum when Twitter started purging inactive accounts, with his mom throwing her own public tantrum on his behalf.

Wezlar posted:

his is kind of what it is for me. Exploitation is maybe a strong word, and it ended up going well, but I think most everyone would agree that paying artists/creatives in exposure is bad practice (even if it worked out in the end) and giving a paying job that could go to someone who is legally working in the country to someone who is willing to do it for free is also kind of lovely.
He wasn't brought in to be a body for Dark. It was explicitly a tryout with the hope of signing him, but his specific visa situation meant that AEW probably wasn't a good idea based on what you need to submit to get a work visa for a pro wrestler. He wasn't brought in to save money on one spot on Dark or anything like that.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Tony Khan almost certainly handed Ben Carter a sneaky $500 bill or whatever.

That Fightful interview where Carter revealed his visa situation and how that impacted his payment was the dumbest thing he could’ve done if not for the fact he probably already had the NXT UK deal in hand waiting for a signature (along with whatever AEW wanted to try and make happen), because none of his indie dates couldn’t have been legally paying him until that point either, and I doubt he was doing all of those for exposure either and broadcasting that shut the door on all of it.
As I've explained before, his visa situation was such that NXT UK was always going to be the only realistic option. And there are also reasons that should be obvious for why Carter wouldn't really mind dropping his visa status in that interview at that time.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

The person he is QTing deleted their account but I am curious what he said about Retribution to set him off.
Google Cache (and then Archive.is to save it permanently) to the rescue:
https://archive.is/0hOZk
https://archive.is/xwvxT

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Right after he tweeted it, I replied saying something to the effect of "it sucks, but unfortunately it's not surprising because of things like how they handled the deaths of Lou Thesz and Wahoo McDaniel." The abuse in the replies (almost all of which seemed to be replying to something I never said) was so bad that I had to delete the tweet to make it manageable. Even though it was the most utterly loving benign comment.

I don't understand these #ForTheBrand ride or die WWE fans at all. The core TNA diehards? I actually get that in a weird way given the trajectory of the promotion. But WWE? The incumbent? Why? Why be fiercely loyal to this bland factory wrestling poo poo? (And I say that as something who, as a loving adult, has had times, like 2007, where I felt that there was so much good WWE—well, and AAA—content on TV that there was no need to search out tapes/DVDs unless you had all the time in the world and needed to see everything.) Is it literally as it simple as it being all they know? Or is it something with a bunch of catalysts, including but not limited to the steps WWE has taken to remove its fanbase's empathy?

Brian Myers was Jon Huber's friend. On the new ep of his pod with Ryder, he apparently talks about bonding with the guy over fatherhood, telling him about his wife's pregnancy before he told anyone else, and already seeing the guy in dreams. Even if you disagree with him, let him grieve how he wants. And being that we're talking about the death of possibly the single most beloved and respected person in modern wrestling, who was in WWE's locker room a year ago? He's probably right that they should have done more, anyway! "It's Monday, you know what that means," the tribute spots, the Raw Talk segment...those are all the types of things that the wrestlers and announcers know they can sneak past the office. All *WWE* did was the slate.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 29, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It’s kinda gross to speculate about Jericho’s alcoholism, or anyone else’s for that matter
To add to the other comments: In one book, he talked about being arrested for drunk driving and how he thought it was bullshit that he had to go to court-mandated AA meetings as part of his sentence. He's not showing up on TV slurring speech like some people have over the years, but based on the guy's own memoir, it's a lot more complicated than "speculation."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

There had been plenty of talk of contract season with so many Impact and ROH deals up, but I don't remember hearing Sami Callihan's name mentioned once.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

That interview and tweet is from the summer of 2018, why would it come up now?
I...don't know. I can't even find anyone quote tweeting it at her.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

...but SANADA does wear a cape sometimes...

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Alaois posted:

Pal Penis
Yeah, pretty much.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Sabu's gimmick with tables was originally moonsaulting into them out of frustration after losing a match. It took some time for him to switch exclusively to putting people through tables.

As for blading and gig marks: The prolific bleeders without much in the way of visible gig marks, like J.J. Dillon, Bobby Heenan, and Ric Flair, were all guys who gaffed themselves horizontally high up by the hairline, making it blend into natural forehead wrinkles more while also being hidden by hair at times. The reason that more wrestlers don't do it, at least according to Steve Corino, is that it hurts like a motherfucker.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

jesus WEP posted:

i'm kinda halfway between being skeeved out at using people's abuse for some twitter heat, and thinking it's cool he's ragging on britwres for sheltering these fucks for years and years
I'm pretty sure his intent is much more the latter than it is the former.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Did anyone save the Dijak tweet reply defending the "[ethnic] cleansing" promo? It appears to be gone.

Edit: Excuse me, the tweet defending the "purifying" promo.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gone already. And not in Google Cache.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm still not sure I know what the internet slang version of "based" means.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I guess I should post this here? Drake Wuertz randomly, baselessly accused dozens of dudes in the Tampa area of being child molesters the other day:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1357840098260303873
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1357840099963244546
Original post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKsNMhMpbf7/
Archive link: https://archive.is/fgeHe

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I've been doing journalisms for hours and I'm about to pass out.

BUT.

The Stan Lane/Lauren Boebert story is so much wilder than you can possibly imagine. Hopefully I secure somewhere to explain how and why in the morning.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Is it that Boebert's mom and Lane were first cousins and that she's an incest kid or something else?
Based on my research I'm thinking that may have just been a terribly written post.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

explosivo posted:

I wonder if this would have included any of the Brodie cross promotion charities that were promoted by everyone.
My first thought, too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1361886067482365953

Original Instagram post link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLXdOPoJ16o/

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

FullMetalJackoff posted:

You take sixteen bumps
What do you get?
Another knee injured and
the contract extends

Saint Tony don't you
call me 'cause I can't go
I owe five years
To development bore
I had been trying to figure out how to turn "16 tons" into "16 bumps" for months, so thank you.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Benne posted:

I know this term gets thrown around way too much, but god drat Josh Barnett is such a mark for himself
And I wasn't even crapping on him, as the way I phrased it (noting he's a grappling genius who could kill us all with his bare hands) was a pretty big hint that I was saying "huh, that's weird" not "lol, idiot."

Also: lololol at him thinking I'm some random hater and not a notorious GCW homer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

CarlCX posted:

Josh Barnett told reporters that Cris Cyborg's punishment for missing weight in Strikeforce should be getting assaulted by an anime tentacle monster. He is one hundred percent that dude.
I need receipts.