Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I make like 6 cups of rice at a time and eat it for a week. Sticky rice reheats great in the microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Onions, bell peppers, butter, salt, pepper.

Eat that right off the plate, burn your face with the grease, regret nothing.

^^ That, but in a torpedo roll.

Edit: dammit

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SKEET SKEET posted:

This is bulk sausage, not links, does that change your recommendation?

Not really. You could also "stir-fry" it with chopped onions and peppers and eat over rice, or make a pasta sauce with hit.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sad but true, "Zuppa Toscana" is tasty and easy to make at home. Crumble and brown hot ital sausage and bacon/pancetta, sweat some onion and garlic, and add sliced potatoes. Add some oregano and enough water to submerge and simmer until potatoes are just starting to fall apart. Add milk and some kale that has been de-ribbed and chopped, bring to temp (don't let it boil though). Serve with fresh grated hard cheese like parm, romano, or grana and crusty bread.

Don't forget the fennel seeds and red pepper flakes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Halalelujah posted:

Anyone have a really good crabcake recipe?

Take crab, shove in mouf.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Well, there's always sneaky ones. Did you leave that rice out for two days on the counter? Smells fine, tastes fine, but SPIT THAT OUT AND THROW IT AWAY RIGHT NOW DAMMIT.

What I do that all the time.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eh I've never died.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I don't think I've seen an Ice Cream thread here before, but with the temperature changing, I think starting one would be a good idea.

Potehto started one last year. It probably got purged.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Please tell me how to make perfect sushi rice.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I have some pork ribs to make tomorrow, in the oven. I don't like BBQ sauce. I have all the spices and also liquid smoke. What should I do?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

Cool! By "fancy" I didn't mean it had to be in the Michelin guide, just that it has food I can't eat elsewhere - and this looks exactly like that.

Thanks! I don't know why oysters aren't sold in depots elsewhere, it just makes sense.

I'll say what I always say: El Tepa taqueria on 18th st, and Z&Y Szechuan in Chinatown.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tomkash posted:

Just a quick question related to the bacteria chat, if I used some leftover pulled pork in a curry and then had leftovers of that curry, would I be alright reheating the pork a third time?

Has it been refrigerated? Then yes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ricotta is gross.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Smell a fresh one. Taste it. Funny thing, that smell and taste, that's what it adds to your dish. That is generally how cooking works. Hth.

Add them whole, cook dish, pick out and discard before serving

On the other hand if your bay leaves are really old, they will do jack poo poo. So buy new spices.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rah! posted:

That's what I thought too at first...then I realized that no one cares about my sausage dilemma. :(

gently caress it, I'm gonna try eating them anyways.

They are probably fine. If they are freezer burned after all this time, they will still be edible if you're broke or something, they'll just taste way worse. Cook them as soon as they're thawed though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Chicken pakora. It's like tempura went from magikarp to gyarados.

That is the gooniest loving analogy. And I don't even know what it means.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

This I would love an answer to, too..

Also - what to do with chestnuts, I've pureed the suckers, roasted them, eaten them with butter - can they be some sort of pie filling??

You can puree them and use them as pastry filling, make chestnut butter (like peanut butter), chop them and use in stuffing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, this. The recipe I use (from the 'Witchcraft cookbook, of all places) has you caramelizing some shallots in butter before sauteing the livers, and it comes out beautifully.

Wait why do you have a "Witchcraft Cookbook"?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

FishBulb posted:

How recently? I bought one of their pans like 6 months ago and it works great for me.

I got a dutch oven about two years ago, and the enamel came off the inside in big patches the first or second time I used it. Lodge were dicks about it, too.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Grana Padano, pecorino Romano, manchego, very long aged cheddars and goudas.

Romano is not very gnawable but the rest of these are delicious.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have some money to buy a kitchen item but am torn between a pressure cooker, a slow cooker and a rice cooker. The rice cooker's only in there because we have a poo poo ceramic hob and it's impossible to cook rice nicely on it so we've been using boil-in-the-bag basmati. Sigh.

So which of these items would people consider to be the most versatile?

Many rice cookers have a slow-cooker setting.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Does anyone have a good, simple, lasagna recipe without ricotta or Italian sausage?

The closest thing I can find to ricotta at a decent price around me is dry cottage cheese.

I just want to have something lasagna-like tonight.

I hate ricotta, so I always just use bechamel. So: layer of sauce, pasta, sauce, bechamel, pasta, sauce, bechamel, etc, then I top with sliced mozzarella and a shitton of grated parm, as well as ground pepper, red pepper, and whole fresh basil leaves.

If you want a recipe for red sauce, let me know.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Carbonara is probably one of THE most popular uses for uni outside of sushi that I've seen.

Uh I think you have the wrong word there.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Oh, and I forgot, shredded jarlsberg, too, in case that makes a difference.

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Now that sounds like a plan! Have a pound of mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to get eaten, plus some sausage I can mix in. Would topping with a little bread crumbs or panko be a good or bad idea?

I never have, but try it for science. You can also toss some fresh chopped chives on after baking.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tendales posted:

You've got the right idea, pat that sucker dry before you throw it on the grill. You don't need to go for bone dry, but you don't want it dripping wet, either.

Go ahead and turn the steak more often. You don't need to do the 'Only flip once' thing unless you've got a million steaks on the grill to keep track of, or else you really really care about pretty char marks. Don't give a poo poo about pretty char marks. Flip it every minute or so and you'll cook and char more evenly.

When the steak's cooked, stick it back into a foil pouch with some leftover marinade. Let it reabsorb that flavor as it rests. Soak it all up. That is the time for flavor country.

NO do not STEAM your steak ugh. Also do not put marinade that had raw meat in it anywhere near your cooked food.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

It has heating elements on the top and bottom (just checked).

Would adding +25 degrees be a fair compensation if cooking this way? I'm thinking whatever I cook I'm going to just have to more closely to check if its done - I'm doing baked goods, which does have the issue of being more reliant on steady temperatures as far as I understand.

What are you cooking? A cake might be hosed, a beef roast might not care.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have advice about cleaning a silpat mat? I've just been using sponges, but it still looks like it has cookie imprints and feels slightly greasy. Should I just not care? Also I'm paranoid my roommates will think it's a chopping mat and go to town on it.

I have put mine in the dishwasher and it comes out fine, but it always feels slightly greasy for whatever reason.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Who had the awesome gluten-free flour recipe? dino.?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I've heard the 'lots of steps but not complex' argument before and believe me, it is too complicated. I screwed up burritos for god's sake. I literally just want to be able to cook a single piece of meat properly, I don't know how I could manage something that elaborate. There are a good four discreet procedures involved from what I can see, and I've found that one error tends to send ripples down the track, causing the whole thing to fly off the rails long before it's finished.

I'll buy a pan and sort out an IRC client thingy tomorrow, I haven't used IRC in about a decade.

This... has less steps than burritos. People are going to start pissing in your well, dude.

Edit:

Tell you what. I want you to post a picture of:

- your pot
- your knife
- your counter space

Having a lovely pan or a lovely knife or not enough space to put things is really annoying/stressful for a new cook.

Come into IRC when you're ready to make that recipe.

Prep EVERYTHING beforehand. Have your beef defrosted, your carrots and onions cut up, the wine and bouillon measured, the herbs sitting on a plate.

Your beef should look like this as it's browning:

Don't put too much in the pot at once. Four batches is probably good. If you crowd the pot the beef will steam instead of brown. Wait like 3 minutes then turn one piece over. If it doesn't look like the picture, put it back. If it does, turn the rest over. Wait another 3 minutes, then take out all the beef and put it in a bowl to the side. Repeat til all beef is browned.

Then continue to follow the recipe as written.

In step 4, with your pot at a simmer you should barely be seeing any bubbles every few seconds. This is probably the lowest setting on your stove. You will want to stir the whole pot every 20 minutes or so, to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom and burning.

When it says add more liquid, ideally this will be wine and/or bouillon, but you could use water if you don't have any more. You can put a piece of tinfoil between the pot and the lid to help keep it from evaporating though.

Ask IRC if you have questions.

Good luck.

Drink and Fight fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2013

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

He doesn't have a stove, that's the problem.

Slavvy, your hotplate sounds gently caress-awful. Get a slow cooker. Dump all the ingredients for that beef recipe into it, turn it on, leave it alone for 6 hours. Congratulations you made dinner.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned it, so never buy "cooking wine". Just get some $3 bottle of whatever not-dessert wine the store has.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Clearly you live somewhere terrible, and you should move.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

LorrdErnie posted:

My father, sister and I are flying into San Francisco on Saturday to spend several days visiting family. I'm sure that they'll have lots of ideas on good places to eat, but I'd love to have the GWC opinion on what absolutely shouldn't be missed around there. I'd prefer places with entrees <$15 so as to not break the bank but if there's something absolutely phenomenal that's up around $25 I could certainly be convinced to check it out. :)

Burma Superstar, Z&Y Szechuan, Tommy's Mexican.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Semisponge posted:

It is so much spinach it would not fit in my freezer.

You must have a really big head.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Slifter posted:

I've been doing some experimenting with making candied fruit and as a result have ended up with a lot of different fruit flavored syrups. Does anyone have any cool suggestions on things to do with them? I use a little as pancake syrup but I just don't eat that many.

Cocktails. Make flavored gimlets or something.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Does anyone have a link to the old ice cream thread, I think Happy Hat was the OP, or PF's sorbet thread?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gelato! Goddammit.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

dino. posted:

No, they're not. However, dishwashering those things tends to make them discolour horribly, and look like 50 years old in one fell swoop.

Also it will gently caress up the seals.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I got an idea, Agar eyeballs

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/f0tyhCF.jpg :nws:
(just being careful you know)

Agar is a type of gelatin from red seaweed and you can use it to make these amazing looking eye balls, but here is where the raspberries come in: Put them in the center of each eyeball then take a toothpick and carefully poke into the raspberry once its set and you will get like these blood lines that look awesome.

Recipe please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Condensed tomato soup? What the gently caress?