Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm working on putting together a recipe for stout that I'm aiming for an oatmeal cookie type of taste and I'm hoping to get some input.

8 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Flaked Oat (I'll probably toast these)
1 lb Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 90
1 lb Lactose
.5 lb Dark Brown Sugar

.5 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Goldings (30 min)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I also want to start making yeast starters for my batches. How much does a stir plate really help in the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^^
Wow, that's super helpful, thanks. So it seems like it's more than you just need to make a much bigger starter if you just do a simple starter vs shaking or a stir plate. I'm not really against buying a stir plate, I was more curious what the real gain was.

Jo3sh posted:

Just my suggestions, I'm not trying to suggest your recipe is wrong.

-- Do toast the oats.
-- You could either keep the patent malt or go with roast barley.
-- I'd replace some or all of the C90 with chocolate. I don't think you need the sweetness since you have oats and lactose, but I do think you need the color and flavor of the choc.
-- With all of your roast grains, go with an English maltster. American maltsters just don't seem to roast dark enough, IMO. I've seen a lot of brown "stouts" because of this.
-- I'd go more like a full ounce of Magnum for bittering.
-- I'd use London Ale rather than Irish.

Thanks, I actually did think about using roast barley and chocolate malt so I'm glad to hear that suggestion. The black patent was mostly in there to keep it dark. I might keep half a pound of it in just to make sure it doesn't stray into the brown range.

I had an ounce of the Magnum in there at first, but it had the IBUs up at 46, which seemed high to me, so I dropped it to half an ounce which is putting me at 28 IBUs. I might go with .75oz and settle in the middle. That seems to put me at 37 IBUs which I think should be good.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 30, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

They're very easy to make, also. I went with http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html (but an 8V source since thats what I had to spare from old broken stuff) and the most difficult part was adjusting the magnet's position vertically (which I made adjustable, but it wasn't obvious at first that I needed to change where it was initially).

I did consider building one too, I found similar plans online. I might give it a go if it ends up being much cheaper than the $45 or whatever StirStarter ones go for.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I think mine cost me about $15 plus a bunch of crap I scavenged from my parts heap.

Yeah, I'm thinking I have a handful of things I might be able to use lying around. I might have a spare fan and I know I have a power supply I can use. I do have some magnets, but I don't think they're strong enough though and they might be a bit heavy and weigh down on the motor.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 30, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

My first brew, the English Brown Ale, officially turned out great (at least for a first attempt). It was a bit bitter for my tastes but nowhere outside a normal English Ale. There's a bit of a sediment problem but I hope to alleviate it in my next brew with a second bucket addition. That poo poo at the bottom is absurdly pungent.

The other problem I'm having is a carbonation one, of all things. Some bottles are basically barleywine, and others are blowing tops off like champagne (but in the good way, no bottle bombs to speak of in over a month since bottling.) There are two theories: My caps are to blame, or I'm to blame. Firstly, I'm using resealable bottles (the ones with hinges) and I think the caps may not be sealed properly, giving me less carbonation in some bottles than others. I don't think that theory is nearly as likely as that I'm not mixing this poo poo up well enough when I add the sugar. I stirred it up pretty good with my siphon cane when I added it in, but maybe I should mix it up more? What's a good measure of "vigorously mixed"?

Anyways, the way I'm handing it out and bringing it places, I'm going to be out of beer very soon. I'm looking for another recipe. I was considering a red or a porter, but really I want a recipe that's not super hoppy or ridiculously bitter, even though I'm okay with both of those things. Really, it's just got to be bomb proof. The brew supplier I go to has some pre-built packages that are based on award winning recipes but a lot of them have tons of hops.

P.S. I'm officially trademarking Hopocalypse. Do not steal.

It likely wasn't mixed enough. That happened to my last batch. Nearly all of my 22oz bottles which I filled first are barely carbonated even two months later and my 12 oz bottles that were great after a couple weeks are now over carbonated.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

minstrels posted:

Finally got my stir plate working:

Does that vortex seem like enough?

On another note, I recently made up a brewing log spreadsheet that I can fill out during a brewday as my note taking is usually awful. Would love some feedback on it so if anybody wants a copy just leave your email address.

At least that's one of us. Mine spins, but the magnets I used were pretty small and just aren't strong enough to keep hold of the stir bar once I add the Erlenmeyer flask into the equation. I ordered some larger magnets that are 4x as strong so hopefully these will work. Without the flask it seems to be working well enough though. The problem is I'm brewing on Saturday so I had to make my starter anyway. I'm giving it a swirl every 30 minutes right now though to keep things moving a bit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
20 degrees Celsius is really warm for a lager yeast. I'm not sure what the range on the one is, but it's higher than any lager yeast I've seen.

Edit: yeah, you're definitely well over the temp range for that yeast.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 12, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Other than the obvious choices (C* hops, Simcoe, Galaxy, NZ hops, etc), I really like Ahtanum and Palisade as dry hops. Ahtanum has a great orangey character and Palisade has a fruity floral character kind of like hibiscus. I bet either of those would go great in a saison.

Seconding NZ hops. They're super citrusy and awesome. My best IPA was a mix of all NZ hops.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Pumpkin season approaches and I plan to have a 5 gal ready for a Halloween party: this means I have at least one test 1 gal batch to do. If I'm dumping in canned gush is there any way to deal with the solids beyond treating it like a yeast cake and cold crashing, will that even work?

I've done two pumpkin beers in the past and both times I did a partial mash with pumpkin inside of a bag at 155 for half an hour. I chopped up the pumpkin and roasted it in the oven ahead of time to bring out some of the sweeter flavors. Worked pretty well. I also found out that homemade pumpkin ice cream with a pumpkin ale makes possibly the best float I've ever had.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

So I actually just got into brewing and i went to Barnes & Noble to get some literature on the subject and I ended up walking away with a book specifically on clonebrews. I figured I'm just starting out and I don't really know what I want to make so why not use beers that i know as a reference point and experiment from there.

Anyway, my real question is all about spicing.

I'm using Bar Harbor's Harbor Lighthouse Ale as a base and i want to turn it into a spiced pumpkin beer. The question is, how much pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves do i use? Should i put them in at the fermenting process or when boiling the wort? I know experimenting is probably the best answer but i don't want to shove a whole pumpkin in the wrong part of process and have 5 gallons of puke worthy beer to try and get rid of.

Any advice?

I noted this earlier in the page, but when I've done my pumpkin beers, I buy a whole pie pumpkin (like a 2-3lb one) and I chop it up into 2" pieces and roast that in the oven until it starts to caramelize. Then I put that into a grain sack and steep it at 155F for about 30 minutes to pull out the sugars. Remove the bag and then start your boil. I put my spices right when I turn off the boil so the heat pulls out the spice oils, but doesn't destroy them. I really can't remember how much I used though and I can't seem to find my recipe. I know I used nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and allspice though. Go easy on them or it will completely mask the pumpkin flavor. One of mine I also added about a 1/4 cup of molasses at the end of the boil as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You won't get enough fermentable sugars out of a 2 pound pumpkin. He just skipped the mash/extract steps and only covered the modifications you'd make to a normal recipe since the original questionw as "how do I modify this recipe I like into a pumpkin beer?"

Yeah, sorry for not noting that. Those were just the pumpkin/spice steps. The rest was a partial mash/extract recipe. Though now I'm wondering if you could physically do an all pumpkin mash and have it ferment well. I'm guessing you'd need a ludicrous amount of pumpkin.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I agree it sounds like that, but I'm trying to eliminate variables here.

Have all your hops been coming from one source? Maybe they've been old or not sealed well.

I have yet to have that problem, though on the aroma front, I dry hop everything that I want to taste hoppy which would certainly help there.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
So my toasted oat milk stout has been fermenting away in the primary on a blowoff tube at 64 degrees for 13 days now and I was ready to move it over to a secondary for a bit to settle out, do a cold crash and then keg. I sanitized my secondary and went to take a gravity reading beforehand just to check on it and clearly my starter wasn't big enough to handle the task as it's sitting at 1.030 right now, down from 1.068 OG. Brewtoad had it calculated to finish at 1.018 with the Wyeast Irish Ale yeast that I used. I've yet to not have a beer finish close to where it was supposed to and I'm not quite sure what I should do at this point. Do I raise the temp in my fermentation freezer to see if that can kickstart the yeast cake into doing some extra work? Do I pitch another smack pack to try to finish the job? I'm a bit worried that another smack pack would dry it out more than I'd like it too, but I have no experience in this so I'm really not sure.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

How much lactose did you use? My uninformed guess is that you actually are finished, but that Brewtoad goofed up the FG calculation, not taking the unfermentability of the lactose into account.

1 lb. I wouldn't think 1 lb of it in 5.5 gallons or so would keep it that high though. I did move it over from a blowoff tube to an airlock and there does still seem to be some activity though. Maybe I just need to give it another week. If I give it more time, should I keep it at the 66 degrees or should I maybe bump it up a bit to try to get it to clean things up some more.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

That ought to bump your FG by about 5 or 6 points, meaning (if my assumption about BrewToad not accounting for it correctly) that you would not be expecting 1.018 but more like 1.024. So you're still a little higher than planned, but not way out of bounds or anything. Leaving it a few more days at your current ferment temp or maybe just a few degrees warmer before cold-crashing seems like a good bet; if it hasn't changed after that, I'd just package it as normal.

I have to imagine they'd know how to sort out unfermentables when calculating the FG, but I could be wrong. I did some digging around and other people who've been a bit shy did raise the temp a bit and gave the yeast a gentle stir, so I bumped it up to 72 degrees and used the back end of my long spoon to get down in there and gave it a few light swirls. I'll check it again on Monday to see if things moved at all.

Either way, it tasted pretty solid, just a touch sweeter than I was hoping for.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Is there a preferred program for building and sharing recipes? I was messing around with brewersfiend and brewtoad and the same exact recipe came out with different OG and FG values. And when I brewed it the wort ended up being about .005 higher than the highest estimate. I'd prefer to work with something that's going to give me as close to real as possible.

In the last page or so we're starting to realize that the Brewtoad FG values are likely not being calculated correctly, at least when it comes to beers with lactose. I might just plop down and pay for Beersmith 2.

Also an update on my toasted oatmeal milk stout that was stuck at 1.030. I checked it again last night before moving to the secondary and it barely movied. Maybe 1.029 now. I moved it over and started the cold crash. I'll let it sit there for a couple days to settle out then keg it. It's a touch sweet, but not to a ridiculous amount. I think all of the toasted notes in it help balance that out a bit. I'm glad I upped the bitter hops a bit too, I think the original 30 IBU's I had would have been a problem with this high of an FG.

1.020 on a high OG IPA is not bad though. Unless it's cloyingly sweet, I'd just call it done and move forward.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Well, that's disappointing:

Seriously? It would be like two lines of code to make it calculate no fermentation for lactose. That's ridiculous. Guess I'll be moving to something else. Anyone have any other recommendations aside from Beersmith 2?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

How about the "wife's ashes" beer thread?

I didn't hear about that one, but it honestly doesn't surprise me. There was an episode of the TV show "My Strange Addiction" where a woman was eating her dead husband's ashes. She'd lick her fingers and dip them in the ashes and then lick the ashes off. The only reason she was contemplating stopping was because she was almost out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

life is killing me posted:

Okay so I just finished my first foray into homebrewing last week and with the help of a couple more experienced friends I think I managed to not gently caress it up. I've been a big, big fan of craft brews for a while and am a supporter of the craft breweries in my area and THINK I know a bit about beer. I'm definitely wrong about this. Anyway, said friends had been doing it awhile, one servers his from a Kegerator and makes a couple batches a month and wants to start a brewery with us. He has invited me over in the past to help him brew and I've gladly gone because I was thinking about doing it myself and figured what better than to get some hands-on knowledge?

So my question is this. I'm brewing a hefe (which is my favorite type of beer having lived in Germany for a few years) and I'm told that I won't need to transfer to secondary ferm since that's mostly for clarity, and since I want a hefe and not a kristal, I shouldn't transfer. The instructions that came with the kit said to just take OG and transfer to carb like you'd do with other beers. So what is my next step if I don't transfer to carb? Do I just take the OG reading and do the math and start bottling, or do I leave it in for another week or so? Or transfer to another bucket with priming sugar and carbonate it there for a bit and then bottle? I only ask because the instructions say one thing and my experienced brewer friends say another, and the instructions don't specify how long to wait for bottling after taking OG.

For reference, started the brew last week on Friday, the instructions said take an OG reading after about 7 days and then transfer. So it's been about that long and before I start sanitizing the hydrometer and auto siphon, I just want to find out what's next.

I'd let it go longer than 7 days, but once fermentation activity has come to a halt, there really isn't much to stop you from bottling it. Letting it sit longer can definitely help flavors settle though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Go for the citrus flavored hops, they work really well in hopped up wheat beers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
All you guys growing hope make me super jealous. They won't grow in Florida.:saddowns:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Zaepho posted:

Rehydrate your dry yeast before pitching!

If it's already fermented, most of those sugars are gone though, so I doubt this would be an issue.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

crazyfish posted:

I need to figure out a heating solution for my chest freezer because right now it's sitting around 66 in my apartment and it's not gonna get a whole lot warmer. Maybe I'll just put a pot of hot water in there or something and change it out until the temp goes up, at least until I can figure out some kind of better heating solution. I'd use a fermwrap, but I've got two carboys in there.

How about a heating lamp, like from a reptile terrarium?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

hey santa baby posted:

For those who use Brewtoad (I think Brewer's friend as well): it expects weight units for liquid extracts. When I do extracts, my LHBS gives me quarts, so I have to convert. I suppose I could pay attention next time and actually weigh the thing they give me, but until then, how many pounds are in a quart?

This unit converter tells me it's 2.8 lbs/qt, but this is consistently too low. Maybe different malt extracts have different densities. Does anybody have experience with this?

That sounds fairly close, though I think it could be closer to 3 lbs. The 1/2 gallon extract containers at my shop at labeled as 6lbs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Get a tank and stone or don't bother with anything fancier than pouring vigorously between two buckets. Using atmospheric techniques like a mix stir, one of those small pumps or pouring between buckets all have the same upper limit to how much oxygen you can get into the beer so you may as well go for the cheapest ime that works for you.

My homebrew store just taught me to put the plug in and cover the hole and shake the crap out of the carboy for like 30 seconds.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Economic Sinkhole posted:

On the advice of the thread, I've replaced the o-rings in my kegs and have had one of them half filled with StarSan and sitting on 30 psi since last night. I checked it briefly this morning and everything seems OK- no liquid on the floor and there's still gas in the cylinder. If I strain to listen, I can hear a tiny buzzing leak somewhere. Spraying with StarSan doesn't reveal any bubbles though. I'm thinking about just slathering more keg lube on the lid seal and calling it good.

Is there some "best way" to siphon from a bucket into a keg to prevent oxygenation?

Have a long enough tube to where it sits at the bottom of the keg so it just flows out smoothly and stays under the surface once the first inch of beer is in there. Plus if you flush star san through first, your keg is already full of CO2 and has no air in it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ZIGfried posted:

You just have to convince her that she benefits from it too.

Or you need a bigger house (I went this route).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, thirding that it didn't finish fermenting. Sweetness is generally related to one of two things, unfermentable sugar additions during the boil or an underfermented beer. I'm guessing you under pitched your yeast and it took a little longer for things to get moving and you racked to your secondary too soon.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nmfree posted:

Regarding spent chiller water, the other suggestion I usually see is to run the output into a washing machine to do a load of laundry. I'll usually let the first ~2.5-3 gallons pump right onto the grass, then I refill with more cold water and ice packs (it helps to have a case of them) and let it recirculate while swapping out ice packs periodically. I'm not really in a hurry to cool, as long as it gets done eventually. I only use ~10 gallons of water total to cool, and when I'm finished I just dump the pail into the flower bed.

I use mine to water plants too. I have a 5 gallon bucket that I let it flow into and pour out into our fruit tree beds. I do need to start using to cool the incoming water first. I say this every time and then forget until I'm already part way into cooling.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Has anyone done any beers with chai tea or mulling spices? I've done some pumpkin beers in the past, but I think I want to do something more in the mulled/chai flavor range. Maybe a brown ale or a winter wheat?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

A few years ago, I did an oatmeal pale ale (see Radical Brewing) that I dosed with vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg via tincture. I goofed somewhere and the spice was too strong when taken straight, but it was simply amazing when mixed 50:50 with cider.

I actually skimmed my copy of Radical Brewing looking for ideas and saw that one in there. I might do something similar with the chai or mulling spices, though I'm debating if I want to do it as a tincture or just toss it in at flameout. I did think about something with oatmeal, but my other beer on tap right now is an oatmeal milk stout, so I don't want to get too similar.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Alright, so he's what I'm thinking for the recipe.

5 gallon batch size, estimating 70% efficiency

7 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
.5 lb Crystal 80
.5 lb Flaked Oats (I'll probably toast these)
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Rice Hulls

1.5 oz Saaz at 60 min
.5 oz Saaz at 10 min

White Labs WLP410 Belgian Wit II Yeast

I'm still debating on how to incorporate the Chai, but I'm leaning toward making a strong tea and tossing it into the secondary when I rack it over.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just finished up brewing the chai spiced winter wheat that I posted about a couple days ago. I decided I'm going to go the make tea and add it to the keg route so I can test the strength. I'll make a cup of it and toss some in the keg first and then taste after racking to decide if it needs more. Really happy with how things came out. I hit my efficiency dead on and got my 1.077 OG that I was shooting for which if my yeast starter does it job should knock it down to about 1.022 and give me 7.4% ABV. I picked up my tea the other day for it too. I bought both a white chai and a rooibos chai and I'm debating which one to go with. The white tea should have low tannins and the rooiboss should have none. I'm sort of leaning toward the rooiboss because of that.

Edit: Man am I glad I started with a blowoff valve, this thing is taking off like a rocket.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 3, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Yeah that's what happens. I'm just confused because it's never happened until this keg.

On another topic. I found out last april I have a Hop allergy (brutal, I know)

I've given up beer for a few months to try and get my allergies under control and see if I can get a better understanding on how to manage this.

I bought a filter kit a while ago to try and reduce particulates in my homebrew. Is there anyone out there with experience, or heard of someone, with a similar situation? I really don't want to give up my hobby or passion for beer.

I'm wondering if there's a way to see which hops I'm more sensitive to than other, or some way of defining it more specifically.

I guess there's always the magical world of Sours, meads, and ciders to dive into.

I have no real knowledge of anyone who has experienced it, but I'd be curious to know what in the hops causes the allergy. Maybe a small amount of high alpha acid hops early in the boil to add some bitterness would be ok if you cooled quickly to try to get them out of suspension and then did a cold crash and secondary to clear it up more. Maybe even some fining adjuncts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Kenyan might not have been the best choice for that beer. Kenya is one of the more acidic, bright tasting coffee regions which is pretty contradictory to a milk stout. I'd have used something more mellow and chocolate-y like a Brazilian. It'll help that you're essentially cold brewing which helps keep acid levels low, but I think the flavor profile is the opposite of what would work best with that style.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Speaking of coffee stouts and porters, I had found a local roasters in town. I had a cup of their "crowd pleaser" blend and :vince: it was absolutely loving amazing. Super mellow character, no bitterness at all. So good that I went back after work and got a bag of coffee. Now I'm thinking what I can make! Imperial coffee porter sounds good.

So my question: what ratio of coffee do you guys use in beers?

I've only done one coffee stout, but I made a cold brew concentrate and used about 8oz of in in the secondary of a 5 gallon batch.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

And as a coffee stout, how was that? I'm debating what to use but it will likely be a single origin. And what water:coffee ratio did you concentrate at? I've used between 1:3 for making bulk iced coffee to 1:6 for normal drinking up to 1:14 for actual French pressed coffee

I thought it was great. I used a 1:4 ratio on a Nicaraguan bean.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Axe Master posted:

Well I felt silly yesterday. Despite smacking the drat thing for about an hour, when I went to pour in the smack pack the nutrient packet didn't open! Cracked the nutrient packet open and poured it in too and fortunately it's been off like a rocket since this morning.

Is there some sort of secret to these? Or am I just a moron :v:

My home brew shop showed me a trick that I use. Shake the pack to get the nutrient pack down to one of the corners so you can feel it. Then hold it there and lay the pack flat on the counter. Put your palm on the nutrients and put your weight into it and it will pop.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

j3rkstore posted:

It looks like the 'dillo and I have some work to do:

I read that as dildo and had to ask myself a lot of questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I've just stuck the probe under the fermenter, in the punt space. That seems to work pretty well.

Yeah, that's probably fine too, since there won't be any significant air flow under it. I'd still think that taping it to it is better because it's in direct contact, but that's probably pretty close. People just forget that A. Liquid holds temperature much more stably than gas and that B. Fermentation itself generates heat. You could have the air in your fermenter at 70 degrees, but the beer is at 75 degrees because of the exothermic reactions in the beer. So if you've just had your probe inside the chamber your beer is probably doing the major stages of fermentation several degrees higher than you think it is which could cause that phenol problem.