Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
https://ablebrewing.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

I picked up this little sumbitch for my aeropress and it rules. No more stupid paper filters.

Might be worth adding to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Gunder posted:

How has it changed the coffee? I generally prefer the taste of paper filtered coffee to metal filtered.

Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I tend to brew it extra strong, however.

I might try to do a taste-test between the two, I'm curious now if there's a distinct difference.

My favorite bit is that I just hose it off. Great if I'm camping, I don't wanna carry around a filter.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

DumbparameciuM posted:

Finally moved past the "Cold brew is the best and only coffee" phase and got a Chemex, a burr grinder, and a nice gooseneck.

I would love a gooseneck. I brought it up with the wife and we'll float the idea for a christmas gift this year.

I've been using a knockoff v60 so it'll be super nice to have more fine control.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

The Postman posted:

I think Hoffman's video mentions some people use a chopstick to keep the filter from forming a seal in there. Not sure about grounds escaping, but maybe something keeping the filter from collapsing will reduce movement in general?

I'm torn on Hoffman.

On one hand, he provides some pretty quality reviews/how-tos.

On the other hand, his tone and face makes him entirely punchable.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

Speaking of Hoffmann, to distract from the asshat's punchability comment, here's a new weird thing that I'm very glad he reviewed:

https://youtu.be/fSuqlZna6Tg

I don't apologize.
I don't need to like everyone you do.

Though I appreciate his videos, I don't really like him. I don't actually wish any violence on the guy, but since we're knee-jerking, it needs to be said plainly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

E: ^^ I'm not asking you to apologize, not asking you to like the guy, and I don't need you to agree that you're an asshat for expressing your dislike in a very dumb way.

Re: infrared thing: Yeah a bit too polite, kind of like how you don't fight a new coworker when they bring up homeopathy because you just know they'll grumble in the moment only to delight in sending you BS articles every week until the end of time.

Exactly.

Some of the subject matter is very clearly targeted to the upper crust and entirely unattainable. Thank you for providing a review of an Aeropress one week and a 1200 GBP burr grinder the next, I guess.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm not really invested in a slapfight with you guys.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hypnophant posted:

The first james video i watched was his old aeropress dice one, and something about the way he said “the aeropress is just… fun” made me think wow that man has never had fun in his life, and would not tolerate it for even a moment if he accidentally ran into it in a crowded bar

Now i think he’s great. Also as someone who owns both a decent and the 6.75 plastic v60, i appreciate that he makes content covering the whole range of coffee gear. It’s nice to know what’s out there across the whole spectrum even if not all of it appeals to me. I don’t have time for channels that exclusively review $5000 commercial grinders in excruciating detail, nor the ones that exclusively review whatever $5 crap gadget a chinese factory has shat out that week

Can you elaborate on the bolded bit? What's the decent?

This thing? https://decentespresso.com/overview :eyepop:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 29, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re trafficking in the same thought processes historically used to casually justify and encourage violence and repression against people who don’t perform masculinity in “the right way”, but you probably knew that which is why you’re backpedaling now

tell us how you feel about trans people next

Is that what I said? Like, you know that I didn't say that, right? You can read my post.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ok Comboomer posted:

hmmm yes, ”the effete coffee Englishman just has something about his way and his face and his tone that makes him entirely punchable” help, I don’t know how to read between lines

Reducing the person to "effete Englishman" is saying a whole lot more about you than about me right now. Not once was anything mentioned about his demeanor, I just don't like his tone.

Christ, given your rep sheet, I'm going to stop engaging with you altogether. Donno if you're trolling or willfully misunderstanding what I've said.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
If you know the version of the Aeropress, you can probably just get a replacement part.

https://aeropress.com/product/plunger-seal/

That said, it's pretty inexpensive to simply get a new one. No idea what shipping would be on it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I really like the Hario Skerton I've got.

The unit is pretty robust and the threading fits a non-wide mouthed Ball jar.

It's a manual grinder, so it does take some effort if you're making something other than espresso, but I think it's nice to take that time and be present with the coffee process.

Complaints:
no great way to hold it when grinding, it's not the most comfortable in the hand.
the crank mech is secured via a bolt and will come loose as you grind

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What's the most barebones, simple way the thread enjoys coffee? I'm talking no electricity.

Anyone tried the Coleman percolators or similar things for camping?

I have a little gsi espresso* maker for camping and this thing rules.

My other go-to is taking the aero press, particularly with a stainless steel screen. That plus a little stove or a nice cup does the trick nicely but churns through grounds.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ThirstyBuck posted:

Who needs to brew? Just crunch on some beans. You’re camping and it’s trail mix.

I've considered this for long bike rides. Chocolate covered espresso beans might be the trick...

The problem is the gross exercise dry-mouth + little chunks of coffee bean, but I'm willing to try it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

George H.W. oval office posted:

gently caress it just take caffeine pills who needs flavor!

:chloe: You've gone too far.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I see 2 different use-cases here.

I had a friend in high school who started acting strange and began to disappear from class for a few days a week.

Turns out she fell into a "healing crystal" cult.
She was very adamant on letting us know how spiritually cleansing coffee enemas were for your soul.

:gonk:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My wife gave me the green light to pick up an espresso machine.

I've spun up the ebay searches and found a post-mod Gaggia Classic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285336580089

Anything wild I should know about this thing? This will be my first machine. Looks to be in good shape and ships with all the original bits/bobs.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Sweeper posted:

whats your budget for both grinder and espresso machine

That's why this is kind of a lucky find, my budget is around 500 and I have a couple burr hand grinders already.

What other options do you guys propose? I'm sure I'll want to up my grinder game in the future, but right now I'm hunting the espresso unit and making due with hand grinding.

For grinders I have the Hario Skerton and a pretty portable Javapresse burr grinder (for on the go aeropress shenanigans). Probably a loving workout for a fine grind but I work from home and have the time.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 21, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Excellent feedback guys, thank you.

I'll begin by upping my grinder game first. It'll benefit me on the other coffee styles as well.

Cart before horse noted.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

amenenema posted:

IMO get a Niche and a Flair/Robot to start. Upgrade to a traditional machine if/when you outgrow the manual style.

The Flair seem like pretty simple and inexpensive machines. 150-200 on eBay and with the pressure gauge. I've played around with some silly doohickeys like the picopress so I know to bring the temp on the unit up before trying to pour a shot. They also seem pretty accessible so I'll follow your suggestion and poke around for a competent grinder.

That niche zero looks the part. Is it competent for a drip coffee grind as well or specifically espresso?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I think I might have more luck with a manual press anyway. The hardwater in my area is pretty bad.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

MetaJew posted:

Thanks for sharing this. I was trying to figure out where to eventually sell my Vario W.

That thing looks massive. Maybe it's just the ad.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I found a flair with bells/whistles for sale when I swept in to bid with 3 minutes left, Ebay kindly kicked me in the nutsack and told me I couldn't bid on anything for no good goddamn reason.

I tested the exact same thing today and voila, my bids go through.

In summary, gently caress you ebay. I could have been on my journey to getting mad at coffee early.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ok, these loving Niche are hard to find.

I -on a whim- put a bid on a sette 270 but I'm hearing they're rocket engine-loud.

If that gets sniped by someone :pray: I'll throw money at a new Encore ESP. Then I'll move on to finding the right espresso machine.

My wife has decided she's got a stake in this game and demands I get something that can steam milk.

I'm toying with the Bambino just to get the workflow down and begin playing around. I fully expect I'll upgrade to something a bit more fun later.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Whoa, those are cool.

:smith: No, stick to the plan, no scope creep.

nwin posted:

Bambino is more than capable/just make sure it comes with an unpressurized portafilter. Lance Hedrick did a review on one maybe a month back.

You can spring for the bambino plus which froths the milk for you, which might be nice if the wife wants a drink and doesn’t want to deal with anything other than pulling a shot.

Funny bit is, she's a former barista and wants to make the drinks but isn't a coffee drinker. I'm basically getting an occasional live-in cappuccino service.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The coffee in Hawaii was loving awesome.

I rented a nice road bike and rode a bunch of Oahu, stopping at shops and started my ride at Green World.

hrrnngggg love it.

edit to avoid white noise posts:

My bid for a Sette 270 got beat (thank gently caress) so I put that money into the Encore ESP with the single dose hopper and money to spare.
Work gave me a 120$ gift card so that's going to offset the cost from the Bambino to the Plus.

Looks like everything is coming up Milhouse.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 1, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Deathlove posted:

I can't speak for it. But I will say the metal one I have does great.

I second this. I love my metal filter.
https://ablebrewing.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Google Butt posted:

God drat everything came together today for a delicious cortado using the robot and some home roasted (kaffelogic) Burundi kayanza munkaze. Coffee rocks

:nice:

I've got a nice sealed bag of coffee in my freezer waiting for that Bambino.

What, if any, is the limitation of using medium roast beans on an espresso machine? Is there such a thing as an espresso bean, or is that just marketing?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
If anyone is on the fence on getting a machine and getting started, for under $550, I found these to be the ticket:

Grinder:
https://www.baratza.com/product/encore-esp-zcg495 - $200

Machine:
https://remanufactured.brevilleusa.com/products/rm-bes500bss?_pos=1&_sid=cab47568a&_ss=r - $335

I'm going to try this route and see how the adventure turns out.

This poo poo arrives next week. I'm very excited.

The Bambino Plus has a thermoblock, does that make it a heat-exchanger?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mu Zeta posted:

We have the Bambino at work and it works fine and you have the choice of using the pressurized filter if your grinder sucks. My only complaint is that the machine is too light so whenever you attach the portafilter it will move the whole thing unless you hold it in place.

I had that as a worry. The Bambino holds 47 oz of water and is like 9lbs. Hopefully the Plus is a bit heavier at 10+ lbs and 64oz

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The Bambino plus and the Encore ESP are here, so I did what any normal person does...

I packed them back up and took them up to my buddy's cottage on vacation to practice pouring shots.

:getin:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Rated PG-34 posted:

Haven’t used my aeropress for a while and picked it up today to find that the rubber gasket on the plunger melted somehow. At least there are third party gaskets that you can buy relatively cheap.

https://aeropress.com/collections/replacement-parts

There are original bits right from the source.

Does anyone have a book explanation on espresso drinks? I'm having a loving blast. This Bambino rules.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There’s a bunch of technivorms on discount for prime day if anyone’s looking.

Well, that thing looks dope.

I would love a good automatic marker, been making filtered coffee for years manually. Sadly, this espresso adventure has me in the poor house for a bit.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody see the https://goat-story.com/products/gina-coffee-maker and have any options on it? Seems a tad expensive for what it does and the app does nothing for me that a scale and logbook don’t already do for me today.

Gwyneth Paltrow makes coffee?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What's the deal with those tampers? I see them recommended but a tamper is a tamper, right?

Am I missing something vital?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'll throw that on the "nice to have" list.

In other news, the Bambino Plus came with a double-walled basket and it made the loving worst coffee in the world.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I managed to purchase a used 1989 Mazzer Super Jolly grinder for the exorbitant price of $75.

Next step: convert it to doserless. Should be a fun ride.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ive tried coffee with spice mixes like cinnamon, cardamon, and so forth. It's good. What about coffee with chili, to give it some bite? Is that any good? Maybe with some milk in there to control the sting?

Black pepper!

I did a few experiments with Melita pour-overs and coarsely ground black peppercorn and it added some interesting elements.

I managed to snag a (very) used '89 Mazzer Super Jolly for 75 bucks. Tore it down, cleaned it up a bit and I just got confirmation that my mod has shipped.

Next week should be an arts/crafts week :3:

Time to check out flat burrs.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Sometimes you can find the perfect title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

obi_ant posted:

Can the Baratza Encore grind fine enough for espresso? Looking for something that will "get the job done well enough".

Baratza Encore ESP worked well for me. The Encore, to my understanding, does not get into the espresso range super well.

Even the ESP has stepped adjustments that might between the setting you want, but I have enjoyed my ESP so far. The 2-3 finest espresso settings have been all I need.