Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dema posted:

It's for sure better then any the kcups at work.

Hey now, the island coconut brews out to a very nice, long lasting air freshener :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Aaaaand look what we have here

http://gizmodo.com/5879161/how-to-beat-a-k+cup-with-simple-coffee-gadgets

"Can you make flavored coffee with them? Yes. And, you know, if you want your coffee to smell and taste like the stock room at a Yankee Candle store, by all means, buy yourself some K-Cups." And hey, that's...pretty much the reason I have a one of those

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Raynor posted:

Live in Wichita Kansas. There is a Starbucks on my corner but I've only gone there once for hot cocoa when family was in town. Would that be a good place to start?

Probably not since starbucks loves to burn their beans more than anything else, though some people here have said that the 'blonde' roast is passable as an extremely dark roast if you can't get anything else.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can anyone recommend any decent Decafs that aren't wildly expensive, maybe even cheap? Non-flavored of course. I'm not super snobby, I generally just drink Community Coffee French Roast, but it'd be nice to have something coffee to drink at night without not being able to sleep.

The only decaf I've run across so far that was decent was the Green Mountain "Fair Trade Organic House Blend Decaf," which I've found not to be that much worse that most regular stuff I can buy around here and better than most stuff that I can get at a normal grocery store. It is just a tad weaker than normal beans I think.

How cheap were you looking for?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I've got $120 in rebate cards to spend, and I was thinking about buying my own coffee stuff since I won't be able to use my brother's next semester. I'm also toying around with the idea of roasting my own coffee, since I'll be able to do it for my roommates and family, but I don't know if I'll be able to deal with the smoke indoors. Will just about any range hood be enough to take care of whatever fumes/smoke that comes out while roasting?

What I'm thinking about right now:
Aeropress or equivalent ($25), will also have a cheap drip maker for lazy times
Aroma Kettle ($30), will also use for tea
Hand burr grinder or blade grinder, ($30)
Home roasting kit from Sweet Maria's ($40)

Does this all seem like a decent setup to start with?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would get at least a capresso infinity, I wouldn't use a hand burr grinder as a main grinder, and with that budget, I'd skip the blade altogether. As far as roasting is concerned, you really only need the whirley pop to get started, and you can get those at thrift stores for, like, $5, maybe even try posting a freecycle "wanted". As far as brew methods are concerned. I think a cheap melitta filter cone is just fine, you can get them almost anywhere for about $5. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse your filters.

Okay, so let me fudge with some stuff then:
Melitta cone ($9)
Aroma Kettle ($30)
Capresso Inf. or Refurb Baratza ($90)
Whirley Pop ($0-$20)
Total: $129-149

That and if I can't find a whirley pop for < $20, get the kit from maria's because it comes with beans?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure, if you're impatient, or you can just keep searching. I just did a search on CL and found 2 for around $10 near me. Then just buy samplers from SM, their sampler deals are awesome. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep an eye out for cheap poppers around, but I doubt anything will come up on craigslist because if a college student wouldn't have it, it's probably not on craigslist anywhere near here and saving $20 on it isn't worth hours searching for it. Last question: would I get a better value buying the capresso or waiting around for a refurb baratza maestro/encore?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Doh004 posted:

How long does Sweet Maria's take to ship? My order is still processing from last Wednesday. Maybe I'm just used to Amazon's ridiculous shipping..
My order shipped 2 days after I ordered, partly because I ordered late at night. Their site says orders should ship anywhere from 24 and 48 hrs (on business days) after you order.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

dema posted:

Super happy with my Baratza Encore. Night and day compared to my worn out KitchenAid. Way more consistent.

Looks like I know what grinder I will be buying in the near future. Everywhere I've looked so far has said that the new baratza is extremely good for the price

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I just finished my 3rd roast on the whirleypop, and I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to improve. Every time I've roasted, the cracks have started about a minute or two before the sweet marias thing estimates.

My first roast: El Salvador Matalapa: Tablon El Naranja

I stopped this after about 7 minutes and 30 seconds, a bit into what I assume was second crack since it started popping really fast. The roast turned out pretty unevenly, as you should be able to see from the crappy phone picture. It still ended up tasting fine though. First crack started around 5 minutes on this one.

Third roast: India Poabs Organic Seethargundu Estate

I stopped this at 6 minutes, just at the beginning what I assume was 2nd crack since the first round of cracking had stopped already. This time I was cranking between 2-4 rps on the whirleypop and I swirled the pot a bit every 30 seconds to 1 minute. This looks like it turned out a lot better than anything else I've done so far. First crack was at about 4 minutes.

What roast levels would you say that these turned out to be, and are there any things I might have to change about how I roast to get better results?

Edit: Sweet Maria's finally got around to posting a whirleypop roast video and they don't preheat and leave the lid open. Does anyone else do this?

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 26, 2012

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ephori posted:

You tipped me over the edge! You prompted me to do some more reading, and while I was debating on the Expobar, a Silvia showed up for sale in my area and I pounced impulsively.

I don't think it's a V3, as it doesn't have the articulating steam wand or the newer pressure knob, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a monumental upgrade over my previous rig. I had no idea how much better espresso could be-- and I know I'm not even pulling particularly good shots yet (by anyone else's measure), but wow, it's so much better than what I was doing before. Even the bad shots are a whole other level compared to what I'm used to.

Now I just need to find myself a better grinder. I have a Krups burr grinder that isn't completely terrible, but it's definitely not measuring up anymore. I also need to get the hang of steaming; I don't normally add milk to anything, but I had my parents over on the weekend and I struggled to steam the milk properly. It ended up hot with a thick swatch of immovable foam floating on top, and not the 'microfroth' that's supposed to pour ever-so-gently from the pitcher. Any tips or good videos for technique? The cappucinos I made for my folks looked nothing like the one up above there.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Not to sound like a vulture, but what are you going to do with your old machine?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Base Emitter posted:

I am not a coffee gourmet at all, I enjoy a good cup of coffee but I'm pretty lazy about making it. I recently started using a French press instead of a normal commodity brewing machine (and I don't find it any more of a hassle than a basic brewer), and after a few experiments have been really pleased with the difference. (How big a difference? I've gone from needing additives to enjoying black coffee for its own sake.)

What's the next step to upgrade my coffee? I'm assuming its going to be better beans.

I don't think I'm ready to do the whole DIY roasting thing yet, I'm still at the place where I'm looking for good payoffs from relative little effort... What are some good brands or sources of beans that tend to be better than average but are still fairly easily available?

I see in the thread Starbucks is not so well regarded. If Starbucks mistreats their beans so badly in the opinion of many, what is their rationale for doing so? Have they just miseducated consumers about what makes a "quality" bean? Or is it just a difference of opinion?

Part of the motivation for Starbucks, or any other chain of their size, is providing a consistent experience across all of their locations. In this case, the easiest way to make the coffee always taste the same is to burn the hell out of it so there is no real roast variation. I ordered a double shot espresso from them last week because it was the only place open that was selling drinks...huge mistake

For sourcing beans, there are roasters that sell online like intelligentsia and counter culture, but if you can find a roaster locally it will probably be better for you in the long run.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

withak posted:

Also when they char the poo poo out it then they don't have to be too picky about the beans.

The funny thing is I remember reading that they actually do start with decent quality beans.

Base Emitter posted:

Of course I should have mentioned I live in Seattle, a few miles from the Coffee Kremlin apparently. It isn't all Starbucks, but I've lost track of who owns who.
If you live in seattle there should be no shortage of roasters near you. I can think of a couple off of the top of my head that were mentioned in a seattlecoffeegear video that I watched a while back.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am going to get blasted for asking this, but what is the most economical grinder I can get for making espresso? I have a Hario hand grinder and I am just not capable of getting a good grind from it. It is always too fine or too coarse!

Is the Baratza Preciso for $300 where things start to get good for espresso grinds? The Maestro and Virtuoso are not recommended for espresso, correct?

Is a Rancilio Rocky worth spending just a few bucks more than a Preciso?

The baratza encore ($129) can supposedly grind for espresso, or at least there are videos of people doing it. I have the grinder but no espresso machine so :iiam:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Imagine you're the CEO of Maxwell House, your company makes cheap, mass-market coffee. A renewed interest in hobbyist coffee has emerged in recent years. What else are you going to do in your commercials?

Make fun of the french, I hear that's popular!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

G-III posted:

Yes, the secret to selling more coffee is to insult a growing market of people who have a legitimate interest in coffee.

That's just pure marketing genius right there.

Maxwell House sells coffee?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AriTheDog posted:

There's an electric kettle from Bonavita with a pour spout, seems well reviewed and might be worth looking at. Pretty cheap, too.

There's also supposed to be a variable temperature bonavita kettles coming out soon, both with the pour spout and the aroma-like spout.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

Why do they knowingly degrade their product?

Really not trying to troll here!

(I usually just get a cup of black coffee in there, not espresso or milky things)

If you burn coffee, it pretty much tastes the same no matter what. Starbucks, as well as most big chains, are built on consistency, so it's more important for them to have a consistent cup of coffee between locations than it is to have a good cup of coffee at each location.

Honestly, I've had better experience with McDonalds coffee than Starbucks and it's 1/2 the price

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm thinking about spending about $200 dollars on an espresso machine and am currently considering 2 options:

1. Saeco Aroma refurbished $129
Unpressurized portafilter $50
for a total of ~179
or

2. Some Gaggia machine $170-250

From some of the previous pages, I saw that the aroma is about the cheapest recommended machine and in this case would have the advantage of the extra pressurized filter in case I'm lazy or if my current grinder just doesn't cut it. I'm currently leaning towards getting the aroma, but is there a reason to get a different machine in the price area (Gaggia Pure, DeLonghi EC155, etc)?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Bob_McBob posted:

Where are you seeing refurb Saeco Aromas for $129?

It's not worth spending $50 on a portafilter for a Saeco Aroma. You do the modification yourself on the stock portafilter very easily. You would be better off making some modifications to the steam wand to remove the frothing aid.

What grinder are you planning to use with this machine?

I realize that there is a mod to make the stock filter non-pressurized, but I've also read that reversing it is somewhat questionable. I'd like to leave myself some room for when I'm lazy and don't want to be careful or if my grinder (encore) isn't good enough to actually use a non-pressurized basket. Refurb Aromas are on seattlecoffeegear for 129 free shipping right now, and even after buying another portafilter I still have a little extra budget to play with

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

By "processed differently" does that mean just different roasts of the same beans? Or is there something else going on there as well?

Mandalay posted:

Looks like a cool roastery. As I begin to get into coffee, I'm starting to wonder what "washed" etc really mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_processing
I believe washed refers to wet processing while the beans are still green and natural process generally refers to a dry process. I'm not an expert on this, but the wiki page looks informative enough

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I want to get a nice coffee maker for my girlfriend -- she loves coffee. Is the one on the front page still the go-to recommendation?

What's a good budget grinder?

For the grinder, if you can swing 80-120 you can get an entry level burr grinder in the form of the Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore. If you only have about $40, the Hario hand grinders will suffice for coarser grinds but will quickly require more effort for finer grinds.

For coffee makers: it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a regular drip maker, the technivorm and bonavita offerings are supposed to be pretty solid. I don't know anything about the zojirushi one on the second post. The OP also has a pretty good rundown on other coffee making methods that are good and affordable as well.

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 9, 2012

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

EVG posted:

We have a really nice coffeemaker, vacuum siphon pot, espresso machine, great grinder, aeropress, and toddy maker. He's not interested in roasting. Not sure what you mean by the last?

I assume he's referring to something like the bonavita variable temperature kettles that can hold water within a degree or two of temperature. It comes in gooseneck, so it'd be good for pourovers as well

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Loucks posted:

Baratza has refurbished grinders back in stock. I ordered the last Virtuoso "with Preciso burr" they had, although the comparison sheet seems to indicate that the Virtuoso and Preciso use the same burr. Maybe I threw away :20bux:, but I'm so tired of the sludge in my press pot from a lovely Cuisinart grinder that I just don't care.

I think the Virtuoso with preciso burr distinguishes between a newer version of the virtuoso which uses the preciso burrs and an older version which does not.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The best discount for 1zpresso is knowing someone in taiwan to buy the grinder and bring it to you whenever they happen to be able to :v:.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

eke out posted:

lol it seems like they're trying to have a less confusing naming system than the 1zpressos they're copying but.. it's somehow just as opaque

I see they've copied the unnecessarily large amount of SKUs too. Like the K5/6 are close enough that they might as well be one listing. Same for the 3-4. Even the 0-1 may as well only be one even if they actually have different burrs, because they're all of $10 apart.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly if you think the k3/5 meet your needs go for it, but at the same time, if you think the 1z is better, for example because of its significantly smaller adjustments, then you should probably just get that unless you're not sure about even having a hand grinder or just espresso in general. While $40 is a significant % price difference, that's all of like 3-4 bags of coffee. I certainly prefer the looks of the 1zpresso more, particularly the engraved adjustment numbers. I spent on the k-plus like a dumb, but price wasn't the only reason I wanted a hand grinder. They're also just much easier to put wherever I want on the counter.

And if you want to save money (or maybe not!!!!) on coffee....

Google Butt posted:

roasting coffee owns

Sweet Marias has a stovetop popper starter kit that is basically 8lbs of beans and $15 for everything else in the kit. Highly recommend. Have good ventilation for when you dump

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Brut posted:

The problem is that when I think of buying the JX-Pro as "$40 more", it then also makes sense to save up $40 more to get the J-max.

I mean this is what I'd personally do if I was looking at something specifically for espresso. Though if you actually want a case, it's more like $25 since you can't not get one with the j-max but you have to pay for it with the jx. The JX does have a threaded catch cup which some people prefer over the magnetic.

If I was getting a kingrinder and had a tight budget, I'd just get the K1 (or import a k2 from canada), but that's partially because I value being able to hold 30g, and the K1 is at least significantly cheaper if I can't have that. The adjustment steps are also exactly the same, so it's not like spending on their more expensive one lets you dial in more. Smaller burrs means you'll take longer grinding.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, if you don't mind manual, I'd just get your choice of 1z. Maybe kingrinder if one of their models fits your wants and needs, although I can't testify to their quality since I don't own one. In addition to what you've mentioned, it takes way less space either stored or on the counter, which is one of the big reasons I went manual.

This was replacing an encore, and the consistency is absolutely better

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

other people posted:

I bought a 1z K-Max grinder and it is hilariously large and heavy.

I too got this and it's awesome

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Capacity as well. If you're never grinding more than like 15g of coffee, having the space on the top and bottom for 30-40g is wasted space.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

it wasn’t, really, but it was something you could buy while you were saving up $300 for a comandante

Pretty sure the hario mini-mill and skerton predated the commandante C40 by quite a long time. They were one of the best options...because they were one of the only options in that space.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

i think that’s probably right but back in the day you had to be a real weirdo to want to hand grind your coffee at all, and far fewer people were willing to daily drive it when the only choice was the various harios

I mean going that far back, grinding your own coffee with anything was relatively weird. And even then, spending the extra for a burr grinder was even weirder, especially since the capresso infinity was probably just about the only affordable option at the time--the encore is also relatively new.

Like amazon is saying the mini mill has been around since 2003. That was a long time ago.

silvergoose posted:

I had and kinda still have no interest in taking up counter space with an electric grinder.

If I had to choose between a skerton and my encore, I'd probably still choose the encore. I would and did take my 1z over both

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

almost all home electric grinders can be unplugged and put away when you’re done

Substitute counter space with cabinet space

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vinegar is a chemical folks. PBW is the brewing equivalent, which is what i use because I already have a couple pounds of it on hand. OxyClean free is commonly used as a substitute for PBW for people who are looking to save a little money.

Similarly, buying generic citric acid instead of something sold as descaler is a little cheaper.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jhet posted:

PBW/Oxiclean are basic, vinegar is an acid. The first are surfactants and cleaners, and the vinegar/citric will descale what's left behind by reacting with scale. They're both very useful, but PBW/Oxiclean are in the same category as something like Joe Glo detergent and even contain the same chemicals (in different amounts). So don't trust that it'll descale your machine, it's for another purpose.

Cafiza is also basic OP

Like i googled and it looks like it literally has NaOH

That is still to say that those are substitutable products, but for descaling you want citric acid based products

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 1, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

you can technically fill the clever with 500ml of water + coffee but you have to be extremely careful when you pick it up

e: jk off by 100

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Has anyone been roasting with a kaffelogic?

Well I will be if/when they ship. They went up almost 10 minutes early, so good thing I set my alarm early, not that they seem to be moving terribly quickly

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Same here, those fuckers! I snagged a 40% discount one for 1,110.00 NZD, it says I'm #10/100. I did gpay and they were gone instantly at that perk level, but yeah the 35% ones seem to be chilling.

I'm pretty sure the 40% was still up the full 10 minutes between when they actually opened and when they said they opened. I was supposedly #20, and when I checked like 5 minutes later it was only at 40/100. I suppose it could have been one of those eventual consistency or caching things, but it probably wasn't too hard to get in on the slightly better rate if you were prepared.

Got the boost because why not. A shame wireless will be a later addon and that it's still on micro usb. A lot of the media about the boost kit said it'd include bluetooth, though maybe that's only for monitoring and not modifying profile / control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I completely missed the boost kit option because I was half awake and rushing :( I'm hoping I can somehow add it. How much was it?

220NZD discounted to 120 NZD (~75 USD)