Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Seth talking to Bill Simmons at a Starbucks? <3 <3 <3 Seth is so cool. Get Seth on a BS Report, Bill...

I just listened to episode 3 and Bill Simmons was mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Does Seth ever explain his loving crazy reasons why he cant talk in that one diner?

I started listening from the beginning not too long ago and now I'm sad they apparently don't answer this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There is a LOL reference in one of the older episodes, in the 30-60 range, because I just heard it the other day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

I know they are still going strong, but why did they not address their no-revenue situation like 200 episodes (4 years) ago? I know the answer is Seth and Jonathan's personalities, but they could make people pay a token amount for their huge rear end archives like some podcasts do, they could have a voluntary subscription, like The Bugle has, that at least some generous people would pay for, they could do more youtube stuff and if they got more popular they could make money from that, and it wouldn't require any uncomfortable change in their steez and attitude.

I don't much like WTF but the UYD episode is worth listening to, because they talk about this stuff. Basically they thought it was going to launch them into something else and now they're accepting that it isn't so they're slowly trying to figure out ways to make money.

I don't know, I figure I've successfully gotten merch in the past, I might roll the dice again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I guess it's an LA thing since I didn't think it was weird.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I will name my child "Bumbaclot."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I already had a lot of the lingo in my vocabulary due to growing up in Southern California, but "full blown panny" is something I definitely stole from the show and use a lot.

I am in the midst of the "Nebraska Abandoned Child Law" episodes and these updates have all been great. I can't believe such a thing happened.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If I had a top 5, episode 143 would have to fit in there somewhere. I think I had legit 5 laugh out loud moments.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

well why not posted:

uyd is probably the only podcast you can listen to on shuffle and it not be weird

I am surprised how often I listen to something from 2008 and find myself saying "wait-that was 2008?"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel really strongly about the mid 100s but you could easily start at 1 and go forward.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

9:30 is an institution in DC and I've always had a good time there although it isn't surprising to see them poo poo on paying customers.

Yeah I have listened to other podcasts who have done shows there and all these complaints sound familiar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wear a watch in an situation where it would be rude to take your phone out of your pocket to look at the time. It's still a little easier to be more subtle about checking a watch, and also people don't think you're checking texts, etc.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ads are fine. I definitely am not in the demo that a lot of ads on podcasts are going for, the only one that I have bought anything from is the Giant Bombcast and like, the fact they seem to think most of what they sell is dumb seems to actually work on me, and the Square Spaces and fantasy sports stuff that I will never buy at least palatable. I think UYD might take the same tact.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Usually the shows are strangely timeless despite the fact they read news every week, but 166 is crazy a show of its time. Aniston/Vince Vaughn breakup, Seth thinking Michael Jackson is going to die trying to prepare for the tour, and discovering the Jersey Shore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Listening to episode 170, them talking about Project Natal and how it couldn't detect those with dark skin is crazy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Biodome posted:

Phoenix show was pretty great. Had some classic Seth rants about futurism and Elon musk. Jonathan tells the story about taking LSD and ending up in his parents bed again, still good.

It was a nice balance of playing the hits but also new funny stuff like the Covergirl stuff. Also watching Jonothan kind of wind himself up to tell these embarrassing stories really ads to their effect.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I liked the venue too. Affordable parking and easy to get to in Phoenix, the world is changing.

From what I understand every other venue in the area that would host an act the size of UYD is very run down or has/had owners who were impossible to work with and I'm glad that there is someone that seems to be doing it right now there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Beastie posted:

This is the time of year when all sorts of podcasts and online blogs go on a month (or more) long vacation.

I hate it because work slows down and I have nothing to listen to or read at work.

I almost can catch up on the podcasts I downloaded and didn't listen to throughout the year in December.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That's a bummer. He seemed like a cool dude.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was behind on stuff that came out this year, so the break let me catch up and I still have like 30 back eppys still to push through.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What's with the weird gaps in the episodes they've posted to Spotify? I'd never looked at podcasts on there until I finally realized you can listen over the app on the PS4 while gaming and easily control it with the phone. I mean I know the answer is everything they do other than the actual excellent content is slapdash and erratic but I did wonder if maybe Spotify was more proactive than other platforms about scanning for music and rejects a bunch of their files.

I don't know what the situation is like on Spotify but in recent years it isn't unusual for them to release two episodes one week and then none the next week, and sometimes another week without an episode slips in there. There should be episodes coming soon since the vid episodes are already up from a show they did yesterday.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Crescendo posted:

I have to shake my head when I hear there were actually people out there who got upset because they never received their UYD shirt, or that it was super late. Did those people even LISTEN to the show?

The second they found out Jonathan had anything to do with it they must have realised the chances of them actually getting the merch were 50-50 AT BEST. Consider it a donation; a "possibility" or a "feeling" that one day you MIGHT own a sweet shirt. Isn't that enough? :lol:

I mean I do get it - people and their hard-earned money is a sensitive issue, and I agree that charging people for goods and services and not delivering IS hosed up, even if you're not actively malevolent about it. But come on...are you a fan or not? Saying that you got ripped off by Jah's innate ability to screw everything up and then having a laugh about it is WAY better than owning a dumb shirt.

Yeah my thumb drive ended up being a torn, empty envelope and I just laughed and was like "yeah that's about right."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Adding a major commute to the podcast only makes it more true to southern California culture.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Before you jump to conclusions, trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

duomo posted:

I subbed at that tier and of course Jonathan never sent the flash drive

I got an envelope but it was torn open, no flash drive.