Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Do the different Deathsquad podcasts ("What's Good", etc.) have different intent / cover different ground, or is it just different people? I understood what Skeptic Tank was, but don't know if I could listen to the others until I understand what I'm getting into.

Also, any word on Ari Shaffir's timing to start up his spinoff Skeptic Tank podcast?

Oh hey, I see Skeptic Tank is already up and going.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Was surprised at Doug Benson's work as the voice of reason on part 2 of the last Icehouse Chronicles. Some more classic Redban petulance in the whole SOPA debate.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

What blows my mind is his comment that he doesn't know anyone his age saving for retirement.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Looks like TJ Miller podcasted up in response to Dane Cook's doing the same on the Icehouse Chronicles.

He's on the Pete Holmes podcast for his side, haven't listened yet.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Listen to the podcast where he argues with Bill Burr about Stitcher. Neither side is great on facts, but listen to the childish petulance.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

A new low achieved ~50 minutes into the 200th episode.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Met Ari Shaffir at Bluesfest in Ottawa today - his standup was great as usual, and he was really cool about saying hi to fans afterwards.

Didn't realize Rogan may be visiting Montreal late this year!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Duncan has been doing his own podcasts lately, maybe he's just been busy with that?

But what's this about Brian having an issue with Duncan?

Brian got paid a certain amount (not much) for Icehouse Chronicles shows, Duncan called him out on it during some show in Atlanta (I think) whereas Brian felt he was justified in keeping it all in exchange for his efforts and that the amount wouldn't mean anything split among the usual number of Icehouse Chroniclers.

Still, it nearly came to blows, and they seem to have avoided each other since. Forget which episodes of their podcasts they talked about this on.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

That Kilstein episode was pretty intense, wow.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Has the move to the new studio caused a delay in new episodes? I feel like Joe tweeted about having recorded shows since last week, but my iPhone client shows nothing since Birbiglia.

Fake edit: Downcast sees nothing new, the JRX app sees Greg Fitzsimmons.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

Half an hour into the Kevin Perreira podcast currently, Iliza Shlesinger talking about the Gaza Strip and I want to punch myself in the face for listening to it.

If I've never listened to this show before should I listen to this out of curiousity, or is it devoid of merit?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Not all the way through it, but it was interesting to hear NDT come out swinging against moon landing denials, and to hear Joe slowly ramp up his defensiveness.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

bango skank posted:

Joe: That D-Jango movie was fuckin awesome!
Ari: The "d" is silent...

:siren: Django Update (circa Tim Ferriss episode): still pronouncing the D. :siren:

Was also great to actually hear a real human being compliment Tucker Max in the year of our lord 2013.

edit: Joe corrected himself on a second time.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Maybe I haven't been paying attention - has Joe always been vocal on the "if there's smoke there's fire" link between autism and vaccines?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Hannibal Buress was unexpected. Will definitely give that a chance.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He interviewed Doug Stanhope and concluded by naming him the Enemy.

I have to see this.

Is Doug Stanhope the closest thing we have to a truth-to-power jester comedian?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The moment where you can essentially hear Doug decide whether or not to ruin Santa Claus for Bert's kid is pretty classic.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

How was Dan Savage?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Risket posted:

It was decent until Rogan starting going nuts about pot and saying there isn't any bad effects to smoking it no No NO NO NO. I shut it off at that point, and I think Dan Savage got pretty frustrated since he was agreeing with Rogan, and Joe wouldn't shut the gently caress.

I genuinely appreciate that we have this thread to pre-vet episodes with people who have a similar level of tolerance for nonsense.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

DJ BK posted:

Bill Burr has funny anecdotes, and he loves putting a hat on a hat

Also, him and Redban didn't argue about RSS feeds this time.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Stanhope guesting on any podcast is gold because he plays a great court jester vis-a-vis joking directly to the truth (remember when he almost told Bert Kreischer's daughter there was no Santa Claus?) although his own podcast is not always a compelling listen.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which podcast was that one?

Look up Stanhope on The Bertcast (I only listen to this if I love a guest) - should be timed to when Stanhope was last on JRE, and doing a mini-podcast swing.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Interested to hear your Charles C. Johnston opinions - looking forward to a rare hate listen.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

bango skank posted:

Stanhope returns to the show tonight at 9pm.

Will be my first time listening to the JRE in months. Especially with Doug in a very weird place and mood these days.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Also, Doug took his teenage niece on some surprise trip to Australia, where she didn't realize they were meeting up with Depp on whatever project. He was tweeting every step of the trip up to surprise reveal.

The Depp/Stanhope connection is pretty amazing.

As great as Stanhope is, as I've drifted away from JRE a bit, there's something nice about hearing the two of them bro out over the Man Show days. Enjoyed as much of the show as I heard already.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Has Joe honestly got no idea how to say "Key and Peele"?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

hot sauce posted:

How did he say it?

Pee-Lee. I guess I'm surprised that despite being contemporary LA comedians with similar friends they never really crossed paths to the point that he hadn't heard the name to be able to repeat it.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 5, 2016

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Trump and Joe both seem on about the same page about pseudoscience and conspiracy theories.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I like Stanhope eps because he seems like one of select few who is truly comfortable busting on Joe.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Did Alex Jones get into his Sandy Hook trutherism?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

With CPAC booking a speaker who advocated for relationships with children on Joe's show, it's still funny to think of all these mainstream media types listening to Joe talk monkey kettlebells and the rest of it.

What was Joe's reaction to the kid stuff? I assume it was Kilstein/Crowder hostility?

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The timing on him explaining the virtues of Milo to Pete Holmes will always stick with me, especially when Milo's downfall basically came from the same conversations that had Joe lauding him.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Med School posted:

Wasn't there an episode with the doctors who were running a treatment center in either Mexico or Central America who were using hallucinogens to treat addiction? Am I remembering this wrong?

Dan Engle?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

The point is he has on a lot of idiots who spew their nonsense with almost zero fight back from our favorite meathead, which in turn gets exposure to his fanbase (also meatheads), which in turn leads to more of the insanity spreading.

It's also dispiriting to hear him talk to loveable goofball Pete Holmes which should be a relief from that sort of thing, but it turns into what felt like a very one-sided and uninteresting and long discussion of lady with bitcoin hat/Milo hugchat.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

After a difficult run, Moshe Kasher is a very tempting listen, as long as Joe doesn't try to Milosplain like with Pete Holmes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I liked it, Moshe was a good guest.

About an hour in, and it reminded me why I like this podcast in the first place, more than Steven Crowder ever will.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Still trying to understand the cognitive condition Alex Jones claims he has where chili fundamentally affects his basic recall:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JTiloveT...33%2Fframe.html

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Also anyone on board with his Sandy Hook lies deserves a life of loveless misery.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

NDT's tweets about fireworks at are shameful and he keeps doing it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/562058891794849793

https://mobile.twitter.com/neiltyson/status/750100990792196096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

On the Moshe and Natasha episode, it's interesting to me that Joe's understanding of current events is usually informed by the alt-right interpretation of facts. Like the dumb reddit WWE meme guy being a 15 year old when we know that's confirmed fake (he did have some obfuscatory details in there) and also omitting that the controversy about the reddit dude was more about his history of anti-semitism and the president drawing from those fever swamps and not the WWE video per se. He also pushed back on Moshe's objectively true correction that the dude wasn't 15 with no factual basis.