Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Aaaaarg broke my fanatec CSR shifter in the middle of a race. Has this happened to anyone else's?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

No, but that scares me. What exactly were you doing? I've always been worried about it while trying to put it in gear. I wish there wasn't a spring that forced it to the middle, it always feels like I'm loving something up inside while trying to get into 5th and 6th.

Downshifting from 4th to 3rd. I guess I was doing it too hard, but I wasn't doing it any harder than I normally do. I've only had the thing for a month. I had it mounted to an aftermarket playseat mounting bracket so it was in the proper shifting position rather than using the flimsy chopsticks hanging out of the side of the wheel. Maybe the fact that it was so sturdily mounted gave me a false sense of security about the force it could withstand.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I emailed fanatec support about it yesterday and just got a response saying they are sending a replacement. Excellent!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

captainOrbital posted:

When I had an RX-8, that thing was like some sort of living nightmare in the snow. Then I drove a friend's 350Z, and it had the best traction; I could drive that thing anywhere. drat all-season tires.

I just got an RX8 in January and mercifully I haven't had to drive it in the snow yet because winter treated Boston surprisingly well this year. What should I look out for next year? It's my first rear wheel drive car and everyone tells me it's going to suck in the winter.

juche mane posted:

Anybody looking to sell a Fanatec wheel on the cheap(ly)? I know some new ones are on their way and I desperately need an upgrade over my Mad Katz garbage.

I'm gonna be getting rid of my CSR in about a month when the CSR Elite arrives. PM me if you're interested. I won't screw you on the price.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

captainOrbital posted:

You can always buy a set of all-season or winter tires mounted on steelies (or get a shop to switch out the tires when the seasons change). The crazy dry-summer-only tires that came on my RX were sticky as crap when it was nice out, but drat, in the winter. Also, if you get stuck, you can stick the rear floor-mats under the wheels for some extra traction. A guy at my daughter's school told me about that and it worked like an Irish charm.

I've already got all seasons on the stock wheels. I was thinking of getting another set of wheels anyway and putting summer tires on them and putting real winter tires on the stock wheels and just switching out at winter time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
UK goons might like this

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

You don't need to select a car, you can just put in the info yourself.

In the latest ones you select the car and it fills in some data that's now not editable like max/min aero, engine position, and i'm sure there's some other poo poo.

I think the guy that makes them said he was going to stop updating the calculator after the season pass is expired and that's pretty much now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I bring you this weeks Goon Spec race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aAgZktgNANk

Haha, I was there on Saturday too, on a fact finding mission. I've been trying to find guys that want to put together a team for the one in October so I went to see what kind of cars I'd be up against and what the pit was like since I've never been on a track in my life. We've got a guy from work who also has never been on a track and a dude that did formula sae in college. Still looking for a couple more guys that want to split all the costs evenly.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 7, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Tonight was a disaster. First network problems didn't let me connect in time for the first race, then in the middle of the second work called me and I ended up having to disconnect to fix some server issues at work. Then when I got back on for a race after my shifter started acting up so I had to use the paddles with the clutch which just seems unnatural. At least I came 3rd, ahead of a jeep that rolled five times in the race.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

Actually, the new rules are 4 practice laps (after training) and then your time is counted on the 5th lap.

I know they never announced that they changed back to the old rules but it sure seems like they did because times really sucked for a few episodes after they instituted the new rules and then they improved. I figured they silently went back to the old rules.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

YF19pilot posted:

I think I'm starting to get an obsession with the Ford Transit. I'm trying to fit it into as many of the monthly rivals modes as I can.

Otherwise,

Also, my PMS van is apparently under review. Apparently someone got offended.

Does it have a phone number (even a fake one) on it? That's why my tv license detector van was removed. I remade it without the phone number.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TannhauserGate posted:

-Normal/Simulation driving. Especially on the controller in Simulation mode, Forza artificially stops you from being able to countersteer. Try getting into a musclecar or whatever has too much powerand let the back end come out, and examine how much the game lets you countersteer. I've stopped driving Sim entirely because it is completely annoying to have the game stop you from correcting an oversteer that you know you can catch- especially when Normal steering does it just fine. Normal still won't allow you to catch like a pro, but it does respond at all.

I believe it's been said that Simulation is really only meant for people using a gamepad because it can simulate the full range of motion of the wheel linearity with the stick. Thomas from fanatec has said that with a wheel the correct setting to use is Normal. I used sim with my fanatec (and before I got the fanatec the MS wireless speed wheel) and would spin A LOT and never be able to catch the back. After I switched to normal it became a much more fun game to play and a lot less frustrating. Now the only assist I play with is the driving line or if I'm driving an r1 or better car I use manual w/o clutch because it just feels unnatural to use the clutch with the paddles.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 16, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zip! posted:

Also, thinking of getting a wheel & pedals setup - any recommendations?
Fanatec csr (non elite) with csr shifter and csr elite pedals is all available as a bundle for $360 I think from fanatec's website. It's what I have and it's great. Pair that with a stand or dedicated seat and you'll be happy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kafouille posted:

Normal mode is dampened to hell and back, it deadens pretty much ever movement of the car to make it impossible to get into tankslappers and the like.

The problem with Simulation steering + Fanatec wheels isn't simulation steering, it's the fact that if you set the wheel to anything over 270° the response curve goes haywire and it becomes impossible to predict how the sim will interpret any of your input.

With a wheel in 270° mode Sim steering is perfecly fine, and it's pretty much required for the game to feel right. Using the wheel in anything else than 270° is just plain broken, the sim doesn't interpret it properly (and yes i've tried every "fix" under the sun, none of them work properly)

You can mask it using the drift assists on Fanatec wheels and the linearity settings, but the fact is, if you buy a wheel, don't expect to be able to use the 900° feature.

Fanatec CSR in 900 degree mode, normal steering, drift mode at 2 feels pretty perfect to me, but then I've never driven a car in real life the way I drive in forza so I wouldn't really know. Its challenging without being frustrating.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kafouille posted:

It feels ok because you're in normal steering and it's dampening everything enough that the lack of predictability isn't too important. I have a CSR too, try sim steering and 270°, you'll see the difference, the cars don't feel like planks of wood anymore.

Yeah I didn't get a fanatec wheel to have a wheel that only turns 270 degrees. It's fine for an F1 car but not for a game like this.

Also I played with the wheel both before and after the patch. I played on nothing but sim until about a month ago and it just wasn't any fun because maybe I'm a lovely driver (yeah i'm really not that great) I couldn't catch the back AT ALL in sim after the patch. Before the patch it was slightly easier because when turning the wheel it wasn't linear. Making small corrections could prevent a spin with little 1 hand flicks of the wheel in the direction of the slide, not very precise, and it would 80% of the time prevent a spin. After the patch I don't think I've been able to save myself from a spin in sim without slowing WAY down. It may be more realistic (but as the fanatec ceo says it's not for a 900 degree wheel) but it just wasn't fun and I want to have challenging fun, not constant annoyance and frustration which drives me to play other games. I want to play a game that feels realistic to me and 900 degrees on normal with drift at 2 feels more realistic to me than 270 degrees on sim steering.

I also play GT5, iRacing, and F1 2011 (which I do play in 270 mode because that's what a f1 car does) and Forza 4 in sim mode is the only one that was actually frustrating and I play all of those with the assists off and whatever their "realistic" steering setting is. iRacing I certainly do spin a lot but catching the back isn't impossible like it is for me in Forza/sim.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 16, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I never played Forza 3 but kind of want to do some endurance races and there aren't any of those in Forza 4. Is picking up a used copy of Forza 3 worth it? Like, is it going to feel like the same game, or is it dated now and not nearly as good?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xzzy posted:

The driving model will feel a bit dated.. once you lose grip in FM3 it tends to stay lost until you come to a complete stop.

Visually it will be about the same.

If you want longer races in FM4, set up a multiplayer game with a bunch of AI cars. You can go up to 50 laps on any track you please. No pauses or rewinding though.

I've really been trying hard to not rely on the rewind much anyway and I wouldn't be able to pause in a real endurance race anyway so it's worth a try. Would there be any benefit to picking up Forza 3 for any other reason, like different tracks/cars (keeping in mind i'm gonna be a chump and buy the 911 GT3... i mean Porsche pack the second it's available)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

code:
Ford RS500 (RWD)

-stock front, race rear wing
-Max downforce: 200lbs
-Min weight: 2350 LBS.
-Max Power: 400HP
-Max Tire Size: 245/30/17
-Tire Pressure: 24PSI

1st gear: 2.89
2nd gear: 1.99
3rd gear: 1.51
4th gear: 1.20
5th gear: 1.00
Final Drive: 3.29
ex:

I spent a large chunk of my afternoon yesterday building and tuning this car (and the M3) and I've got it mostly how I want it but I can't seem to get rid of the car wanting to bounce up and down while accelerating. I messed with the springs, anti-roll bars, and pretty much everything else I could think of (even tried messing with tire pressure to see if having it low was causing it but it wasn't) and there was no way to get rid of it. I had the same problem with the M3, and there it was much worse. Also, the race transmission is 6 speeds, do we set 6 to the same setting as 5 since there is no 6 setting here?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 21, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Were you testing on the Nurburgring GP Circuit? That track is jouncy as gently caress. It was the same way on the Weismann challenge a couple months or so ago. Is it every time you accelerate or only is certain spots?

Yeah I should have mentioned it was the Nurburgring GP circuit full. I was trying to get a good tune for that track. And yeah it's only in certain tracks but sometimes it feels like the car is gonna do a wheelie.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AnimalChin posted:

Also for anyone who has a fanatec how long did it take to show up at your door?

CSR or Elite? The Elite can take a lot longer because I think they all ship from Germany. The CSR took 6 days, I ordered on a Saturday and it was there the next Friday morning.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So, was there any truth to the whole "Porsches can only be used online in the special porsche events and no others" rumor?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

No, not at all. Porsche can be used in any part of the game, including the rest of the Event List, where they qualify for those specific races.

Excellent, can't wait to purchase the pack when I get home.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

I do. :colbert: But that's not really fair of me to say, because I don't play online either, I can't because of my router issues with FM4 specifically. I play against the A.I., so you never have to touch the cars because the A.I. is so slow.

Not sure if you do this but if you do the event list instead of world tour you can set the AI difficulty all the way up and also set whether the AI can upgrade their cars or not. In world tour the difficulty is lower and goes higher as you progress, and I don't think the AI cars are upgraded either. It makes single player much more challenging. If you're already doing that, ignore me :)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Also the thing where they try to pass you and then drop way back if you cut them off reminds me of playing an old racing game on the Genesis

Yeah it's really funny how they don't dare make contact in this situation but when having to go through the AI in lap 1 turn 1 on any loving track they've got no problem plowing right through you there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TannhauserGate posted:

Reminds me of a crappy old Newgrounds animation, and for twice the awful here's a Youtube rip, 3 3ast 3 3urious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ

That is mind-numbingly awful. Oh that incredibly obvious feature that everyone who plays our game is immediately going to check? Yeah, we didn't actually have a single person test that at any point during development. If you're going to be that lazy, just don't add the Forza wing, and have the upgrade allow adjustments. You can put a carbon skin on the existing wing, if you want visual feedback.

Except that's actually what they look like in real life

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AnimalChin posted:

From Fanatec:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

My order has been "pending" since 5/18.

Did you order an Elite wheel?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

Alfa and Ford regs changed. Please note original post- Alfa now has min weight of 2500 lbs and max front downforce of 50lbs.

Ford now has max rear downforce of 150 lbs.

The minimum downforce on the race rear wing mentioned in the spec is 158lbs. I switched to the ford wing which isn't adjustable and I'm assuming is at 150lbs. The only other option is no wing. Is that alright? It's the real wing they used in the DTM races

If so, I'm ready for tonight.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

Spoiler Alert!

My goal was to make the Alfa not the fastest, since AWD is such an advantage. The Benz is the easiest to drive, so that couldn't be the fastest either. The Ford and the M3 are difficult for different reasons, so they have the fastest possible times, but those times are the hardest to achieve consistently, even for me.

You weren't kidding, and I suck so I switched to the merc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quad posted:

So I bought the game used, thinking "ehh, it's a year old, there's not gonna be a huge goon presence, I'll probably barely play it...."
Well I was loving wrong. Goon rooms are awesome even if I'm terrible, and I love being there in the background while some of you from different clubs or whatever freak out on each other for basically no reason.
But I guess there was a code in new boxes to unlock the Odessa tracks, and not having those tracks is becoming annoying.
Does anyone have an extra code, or am I SOL unless I go back and buy it new?

You can buy the tracks from the xbox live marketplace.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was already having fun with this game anyway but Saturday morning I turned off the racing line assist and at first it was awful, but after a while I got the hang of it and it's much more fun and engaging because I'm actually looking at the track instead of the green or red line.

Dumb question, how do you acquire the 787b? I don't see it in the Buy Cars section. I'm trying to collect all the rotary engine cars (I'm a nerd) and I'm having trouble finding this one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ANAmal.net posted:

God on you for turning off the racing line - I kept that thing on a good chunk of the way through Forza 1 and then a little bit in 3, and it really is a whole different game when you learn to drive without it. Next, try turning off ABS, that's another fun one to adjust to.

I already play with ABS off (never actually played with it on) and the only assist I still have on is rewind (which obviously does nothing for me online anyway, which I'm doing a lot more of lately). The main races with AUGR always force the racing line off anyway so that gave me the impetus to try it full time and the side effects I've gotten from it is that I'm now actually learning the layout of the tracks and having fun racing, rather than just feeling like I'm following instructions. Also I feel like I'm lapping a lot smoother without the line because I would try to be very rigidly connected to the line. WIthout that line there to "tell me I'm in the wrong place on the track" I'm not worried about following it and everything became much more smooth and fluid. Especially with the 911 GT3 RS. God that's an awesome car.

ANAmal.net posted:

The 787 is in the American Le Mans Series DLC, which I think came out in March or something like that. It should still be showing up in your buy cars list, just with a little "DLC" flag in the corner. Is your Xbox not connected to the network at all?

I'm on the network and had the season pass so I should have the DLC. I'll check again when I get home. It's possible that I just missed it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quad posted:

I so totally would, but they aren't there, only the TopGear soccer field is available to buy. Dammit T10, take my money!

You're right, I just found out that they haven't released this at all as DLC. I just figured it was included with the soccer DLC. That's crazy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it dumb that I am actually really excited about doing the ring in the pintos tonight for 90 minutes?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bentai posted:

Nope. I'll be missing it though, since I'll be out watching US socer game tonight.

Nice, I'll be watching the last half hour of the game on my laptop while we start the race. Are you going to the game or just going to a bar to watch?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Idiot race posted:

Maybe we should do a multiclass multiclub 2.4 hours of lemans like some of the iracing people did with daytona 24?

This sounds awesome. I don't know what it is, but I just love endurance racing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AnimalChin posted:

I think you meant "Horn."

HONK HONK

I'll be really disappointed if they don't add weather. Some off-road (or just dirt track) events would be welcome as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ether Frenzy posted:

What kind of lap times were you guys turning?

That Pinto is actually relatively decent to drive, if extremely prone to rolling over on randomly not-steep curbs on the 'Ring, but overall pretty fun. I was doing pretty consistant clean ~9:25s testing it out on a few laps.

Mine was 9:53 (my slowest was a 10:52 but i spun a couple times and rolled once on that lap) but I'm consistently slow. I think someone got a 9:18. I could really use some help to find out what I'm doing wrong. I'm mostly just winging it when I drive in this game, I've never really learned how to properly drive fast, when to downshift on a turn, what gear to downshift to, etc... but I'd love to get faster.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah I did a 9:18... Basically if you're in 3rd or higher, brake in a straight line, ease off it and get slowly on the gas (VERY delicately) as you enter the turn, and it sort of drives like a normal car. Do anything different, and it tries to kill you.

Like when I bounced off the inner curb of the Karousel (or whatever. German is dumb.) and rolled it as the car slid up the banking. Then, as I was flipping back over, Boaz came in and tried to copy me. He failed though, only bounced off the passenger side door and landed back on all 4.

I've been braking until halfway through the turn, then downshifting 1 gear (unless I'm already in 2nd) if it's not a severe angle or 2 gears (unless 2 gears would take me to first, then i only do 1) if it is a severe angle and getting back on the gas. Most of the time i stay in control, but very occasionally i lose the back and get spun around after hitting the grass. I knew I was doing it wrong, just didn't really know what to do right.

I don't drive fast in real life unless I'm on the freeway and there aren't a lot of turns there. And my car's an automatic. I also don't floor it in real life so my real life driving techniques don't really translate over to the game at all.

Racing with these techniques works fine against the AI even in professional difficulty, which deceptively makes me think that I'm doing it right, but then I get online and I'm so much slower than everyone else. It's not discouraging, I don't really mind coming in last all the time, I'm having fun, but still, it would be nice to know how to do it right.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Falken posted:

I want all the bad guy cars from Cars 2. We've already got a Pacer, now let's have a Gremlin and Yugo.

I'd kill for a gremlin in this game, especially if I could upgrade it to R3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

I'm a scrub. I drive manual w/o clutch. (paddle shifters) What I do is what you say for standard entry, except I'm downshifting while I'm still braking since I have to move through gears sequentially and want to be in the right gear on the way out. Since I don't have a gearbox, I feel like I'm not really left with any alternative.

Do you have a fanatec CSR or CSR Elite wheel? If so you can get the latest firmware here which has a new autoclutch feature for the paddles so when you shift it simultaneously pushes the clutch in for slightly faster shifting when using the paddles. If you hold in the paddle it's like holding in the clutch. You'll switch from "manual" to "manual w/clutch" in the game settings and enable ACL in the in-wheel settings.

• Locked thread