Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Can anyone recommend some good Kung-Fu movies on Netflix streaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Drunken Master because the dub was just so terrible, so much worse than even normal old Kung-Fu movies. Plus the humor fell really flat. I'll check the others out, though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

Additionally, Matthew McConaughey as the self promoting D.A. was pretty great. And the lady that visits him in prison was just awesome for a non-actor.

The D.A. character was easily the highlight of the movie for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

There's nothing trash about The Stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I don't know when it became available, but The American Astronaut is up for streaming now. You should watch it. It's a gorgeous black and white labor of love that was made almost entirely by hand by Cory McAbee to showcase his one-man band The Billy Nayer Show, and it's way better than that would suggest. It's got a halfway raygun gothic, halfway western aesthetic and the characters are just so endearing. I loved this film so much after seeing it the first time that I had to special order a DVD from the director's store (it's hard to get anywhere else), and I very rarely pay full price for a DVD.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Awesome. I've always wanted to see Samurai Jack. I saw the premiere movie-length thing but nothing past it.

Aw man, you're in for a treat.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

axleblaze posted:

The lyrics are pretty funny, so look them up if you don't speak metal.

The first season of that show is pretty much the best season with a pretty big drop off after that. It got good again when they briefly changed it to a half hour format, but then it went back to 15 minutes and became even worse.

I have to disagree. I think the second season is even better than the first, but the change to half-hour episodes is what really killed the show.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Squidbillies is a brilliant show that 99% of people pass up because it appears idiotic at first glance.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh poo poo yes, how on Earth could I have forgotten Perfect Hair Forever, that was one of the best things they ever put on. I think I stopped following after the Famicon guys failed to get a show, and only really watched the live action stuff from then on.

What the hell, Famicon was going to have a show?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Oh, jeez.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

You heard the man. He doesn't like it, so shut up.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

david_a posted:

It's a completely ham-fisted attempt to get you to give a drat about the main character, who is otherwise utterly bland. Rather than actually do any writing they throw in a horrific scene with no context in the hope that you'll empathize with him.

The final actions scenes were a total joke. Watching hordes of supposed "super soldiers" walk right into the protagonists gunfire/knife/fist got old after the first one. It's staggering to me how you can make action scenes so stupidly boring.

Well, the intro scene is supposed to be weird, manipulative, and over-simplistic because the protagonist of the movie is programmed to be living in an action movie plot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I laughed quite a bit at the first thirty minutes of John Dies at the End. I laughed less and less as the movie wore on, and by the time it finished I hadn't laughed in quite a while.

Pity. I was looking forward to this one. Had the book sitting in my Kindle Wishlist forever.

John Dies at the End felt like hanging out with a stoner who thinks he's way more clever than he actually is, which is something I already do on the regular.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, a few years ago the TED talks were pretty quality across the board, but then in the past few years it's seemed like they had a couple of unusual talks to add some variety, and then that became the focus, and then at least this year it's like they just let anyone talk. Especially with the whole TED-X thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, somehow I completely missed that Netflix has The Twilight Zone.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Is Creepshow 2 any good?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone else notice the Facebook notification tones going off in the audio master for Arrested Development? There's one at around 28:30 in episode 8, and I've heard them before that, as well.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Could they be coming up during the clips from previous seasons? Because with the whole "Scene stealer" text on the screen, I'm pretty sure they're trying to go for a metagag that they just hired some intern to rip all the earlier scenes they needed in his free time.

Nope.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anyone got recommendations for comedies? I feel like I've already seen all of the good ones on Instant.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I've seen every single one of those but Klown and Cannibal, and I'm not a big fan of the Parkers. :smith:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Geographica posted:

The notoriously awful Miami Connection is on Instant, if you like that kind of thing.

The Netflix synopsis:

"A martial arts rock band goes up against a band of motorcycle ninjas who have tightened their grip on Florida's narcotics trade."

Holy poo poo, yes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

CineD favorite A Goofy Movie is now on Netflix.

Edit: False alarm, I guess it had a sequel, which sounds pretty bad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Samfucius posted:

I don't read CineD much, but why would it be a favorite? I haven't seen it in a long time but I don't remember it being amazing.

It's a pretty good movie, all things considered. As for why it's so popular here? I think it's half joking and half surprise that it is actually a well-constructed, emotionally resonant movie. Either way, talking poo poo about A Goofy Movie around here is fightin words.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What's up? Dead Heat is a movie in the "Lethal Weapon" genre with a pseudo-horror twist, wherein criminals are being brought back to life as near-invincible zombies. Joe Piscopo makes a lot of terrible wisecracks. Vincent Price is Vincent Pricing. Really though, this movie gave me everything I was hoping for, including gnarly face-melting gore, zombie cop rampage, and a shootout between two Frankenstein monstermen. They play with the conceit in pretty clever ways. It's not the greatest movie on earth, but they do everything they can think to with the idea, and I say it's a solid movie that pays out on its premise.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

etalian posted:

[Dead heat trailer]

Man, they kinda spoil the movie's payoff in a pretty big way with that trailer.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'd like to recommend The Mind of a Chef, a cooking documentary series produced and narrated by Anthony Bourdain, focused on David Chang, the owner of New York's Momofuku and others. It's a really enjoyable program with a bent towards the culture of Korean and Japanese cooking, as experienced by an American-born Korean who traveled to Japan to learn to cook ramen. Great stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

There's such rich irony in Objectivists being unable to make an appealing product to disseminate their message.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hitch posted:

Agreed, I always thought that was a cheap plot tool to push their message: They were successful because they had a brand new type of steel never used before which proves Objectivism.

Cart. Horse. All their work ahead of them.

I was actually referring to the movie, Atlas Shrugged, being designed for the express purpose of spreading Objectivism and going over like a lead balloon in glorious free market because it was just a bad movie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

You heard him, pack it up boys!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

After being completely bored by GI Joe Retaliation (not on instant) except for the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow parts, I really want to see a good dumb kickass ninja film. Any recommendations on streaming?

Well, there's Revenge of the Ninja. Also, not on streaming, but Youtube has plenty of Godfrey Ho movies.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I was surprised how different this was from Miike's other work. It felt more like Melancholia than 13 Assassins or Ichi the Killer.

It's a remake, and he stayed pretty close to the original.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Time Dissolver posted:

Any fans in here of the godawful evil-hacker flick .com for Murder? Guest starring Roger Daltrey and Huey Lewis!!

Man, the guy's little Egyptian eye tattoo gets me every time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Revener posted:

Bunraku is so stylish you'll almost be able to forgive the mediocre story. It's a live action comic book, if you haven't seen it check it out.

The operative word here is almost. Bunraku is painful to watch, and all the more so because it has so much promise.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Pierat posted:

You could also watch some Miami Vice.

Edit: haha holy poo poo I went to Netflix to look up something and all my categories are completely wonky.

Documentaries: Men In Black

Sports Movies: The Road

Seems legit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

In other Louis CK news, his directorial debut Pootie Tang is also up on streaming for anyone who would like to check that out. Never seen it myself, I'll leave commentary for someone else. Apparently he's a bit embarrassed of it these days, though, so tempering your expectations seems like good advice.

There was a huge amount of studio tampering (ironic, given the plot of the film). This becomes evident in out-of-place voice overs, interstitial scenes reminding you who characters from 15 minutes ago are, etc. It's still pretty funny, regardless.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

Rest in peace, King of the Hill. Maybe one day you'll get released on DVD and there'll be a legal way to watch again.

Motherfucker! I had three episodes left!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I wish they'd add some more seasons of Bob's Burgers already.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Hellraiser 3 is fun, but I wouldn't call it good. Watch it if the idea of cenobytes arriving in a 90s industrial goth music club with a white-collar restaurant on the second floor sounds like a laugh to you.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Do not waste your time with Hellraiser VIII: Evil Goes Online. Evil does not go online. 1 star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, I'm wishing strong right now that they'd bring back Spongebob. I need some Squidward in my life.

• Locked thread